Crisis

American Politics

I was only half watching so i could be wrong, but i think cnn has it uf Trump doesn't get Florida he needs to win Penn. as well as flip several other blue states and win those other swing states as well.

i know PA and FL are important.  and i know it's important for Biden to win the Presidency.... by a huge amount.

True we all want him to win by a huge margin so Trump can't dispute squat

exactly.

ABC News tonight did say that FL is important to trump winning.  i said "please no." XD 

More blacks are employed now than any other time in the history of this country. This sista's voting to keep on keepin on...

1 hour ago, Wizardwoman said:

More blacks are employed now than any other time in the history of this country. This sista's voting to keep on keepin on...

Source, please?

That sounds like parroted B.S. i lived in S. florida all my life and even when economics were good for Blacks which in my estimation was under Clinton despite how the crime bill went terribly wrong. Black still dont do great. Alot of Blacks live in or near poverty. Most of the time Blacks are passed over for promotion. I can only think of maybe a handful of Blacks who were managers in my entire lifetime. Most work the crap jobs most don't want to take. And this is in a high Black population. There is a reason places like Dade(miami), Broward and Ft. Lauderdale are Blue areas that vote democratic. Those counties did Not vote for Trump and It's definitely not because Republicans or Trump are good for them. They have never been good for the black population. And i dont blame Clinton for not knowing how wrong the crime bill would go wrong , even when white/Jewish people like me grow up around dense populations of blacks, even seeing the prejudice its hard to see how deep the systemic racism in everything runs. But it's nonsense to my ears to hear that Blacks are doing better under Trump than any other time in history. 

Edited by AngelsSin

Sounds to me, like you racist. In MY own estimation. If you not black, you have no idea what go on outside of  your little world in one place all your life. If you white, you have no right to speak FOR blacks. Seems to me, Biden, who, by the way, has dimentia, has been in  the government for 50 years. 8 of which he was vice president. What has he EVER done to make a difference? Tell me one accomplishment he has to his credit. You can't. His son's laptop fell into the wrong hands {FBI} and PROVES for a FACT how crooked Biden is. If you haven't heard about that, you need to poke your head out of the cave and see what's going on in the world. Pelosi is already talking about the 25th amendment which as you {don't} know, is competency. Meaning if the President is found incompetent, the vice president becomes the president. So then it would be Harris number one and Pelosi number two. You REALLY want those two as the leaders of the free world? Maybe you do. That's the plan. 

Edited by Wizardwoman

You don't have to belong to a certain ethnicity to understand their plight. You can lack empathy, but not sympathy. 

Where is your proof that Biden has dementia? 

I'll give you a short list of what Biden has accomplished in 50 years in politics:

1. Helped pass the Affordable Care Act.

2. Sponsored one of the first climate change bills in the Senate.

3. Helped solidify NATO participation by convincing Eastern Bloc countries to join.

4. Served as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Three times.

There's more if you want to look.

Using caps does not make your statement true. What verified sources back up that laptop claim you posted? No respected NY Post writer would touch that story with their byline, and even Fox News wouldn't touch that story when it was brought to them. 

Pelosi talking about the 25th Amendment was about Trump's fitness to serve, not Biden. Biden is not president. She was floating it when Trump was in Walter Reed being treated for Covid-19.

Still waiting on a source for your first claim.

4 hours ago, olympe said:

@Wizardwoman You forgot to add /sarcasm to your post...

I don't think she was being sarcastic.

I do wonder what would happen if it is proved that Biden has dementia.  Harris would become president but I don't think it's clear that Pelosi would be vice president.  My understanding is that the new pres would appoint a new VP. 

First I am Jewish don't tell me I don't understand Persecution,discrimination or slavery, etc cause if so YOU clearly need a history lesson. And I gave you FACTS not opinions.

Just cause my skin is white doesn't mean i don't pay attention to what happens to those of other races or that i don't care. Or that I am incapable of understanding. I think my being Jewish gives me more than just a clue, it is something I was taught from the time I was little about our history. My people have be persecuted for thousands of years. We were kept as slaves for centuries. They tried to exterminate my people. And even now given a chance there are plenty of people who would still do all of that to us. So don't tell me I can't possibly understand!

Also just cause my skin is white don't Assume that is all that is included in MY Heritage. I have links to just about every nationality.

I was not speaking for blacks. I was telling you what I Know from what I've seen in an area that has a high black population. It is a fact that areas with dense populations of blacks such as Miami, Broward and Ft. Lauderdale, vote Democratic something having lived there most of my life I am very familiar with how those counties vote. It is a fact that most in those counties voted AGAINST Trump. It is a fact that I have known few Black managers. It is a fact a lot of blacks in S. Florida live in poverty or borderline poverty not all obviously. This is something I know for a fact having lived here as long as I have and seen how they live. I have seen how cops treat anyone differently who live or are in a primarily black areas. I don't need to BE BLACK to see or understand that.

And just cause I lived in one place most of my life you are clearly forgetting Florida is a cultural melting pot. And I have much experience in all of that, plus I have traveled. You make a lot of Assumptions and personal attacks without any facts at all to back up what you say. (Also you clearly haven't paid any attention to my other posts otherwise you wouldn't have the mistaken impression that I am the least bit racist or that I haven't experienced racism, anti-Semitism, sexism or prejudice,.)

Its laughable you saying Biden has dementia when it is beyond clear Trump is the one with dementia. 

I happen to agree with what Pelosi is doing with the 25 amendment so we never get another unstable President like Donald J. Trump. God willing! It should have been done a long time ago but we never saw the need since no President in our history has been as demented as Trump.

And no I can't understand how any black person can support someone so clearly racist. Or anyone of any race for that matter. It's not just his policies. It's not just his attitude. It's not just his lack of morality. It's not just his sexism, racist, etc attitude. It is everything he is that is disgusting to the extreme. How anyone can rationalize all that away and find that he is somehow better than anyone especially some one who is a genuinely good person like Biden.

And please tell me what Trump has accomplished. BeSides his court picks for the Supreme court one of which is accused of rape. Same as Trump himself of which there are multiple accusations for.

You claim Biden's son laptop has something criminal on it if so there would at least be charges pending-- prove what you are accusing him of, when you claim it is a fact it shouldn't be hard for you to do. Trumps family and businesses are under scrutiny for fraud at least including criminal charges but you can't charge a sitting president so they have to wait till he is no longer president. We will see which has charges that are actually filed against whom.

Edited by AngelsSin

Well, I don't think Trump is demented.  He sure is crazy but not demented.  And he isn't crazy from a psych point of view.  I think he doesn't much care about anyone but himself.  

Biden on the other hand does have moments where he pauses like he is blank.  It does bother me about the possible beginnings of dementia, and I wonder what kind of testing he has really had.  I know he has been tested, but I was tested not long ago as part of a routine exam, and it wasn't something I'd call adequate.  I wonder if the same is true of Biden.  

Edited by Classycal

48 minutes ago, Classycal said:

Well, I don't think Trump is demented.  He sure is crazy but not demented.  And he isn't crazy from a psych point of view.  I think he doesn't much care about anyone but himself.  

Biden on the other hand does have moments where he pauses like he is blank.  It does bother me about the possible beginnings of dementia, and I wonder what kind of testing he has really had.  I know he has been tested, but I was tested not long ago as part of a routine exam, and it wasn't something I'd call adequate.  I wonder if the same is true of Biden.  

The pauses have to do with trying to control his stutter.

1 hour ago, Classycal said:

I hate to disagree regarding Trump and dementia, but he sure shows signs of it. His whole speech patterns - repeating himself ad nauseam, often pausing before repeating. If you think that looks like he forgot what he was going to say, you're most likely right. Also the way he treats "facts" or "truths" he tweets - it's like he expects other people to forget his old tweets as fast as he does. 

And if you're going to ask me how someone with dementia is able to lead a country, just look around yourself. (Do you really want to ask me that question again?) Also, at this stage, using the technique best suited to the person, people with dementia are often quite easy to influence. And the way to do it with Trump seems to be flattery and maybe some hints of "You really need to sign this, Mr. President, you're the only one who can..."

Also @Wizardwoman Care to align this with your views? https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS14000031

Edited by olympe

Hmm My point exactly. For some people it's the lesser of 2 evils. 

Looks like your signature really checks out then.

Good to know. I don't know where my reply went, so I'll just go over the finer points. Democrats made the decision to give women the right to an abortion. I personally choose to have no  opinion on that. However, when she has the right to choose an abortion up until the moment of birth, what do the doctors do with a fully developed "abortion victim"? Do they euthanize it? Dispose of it? Maybe both. I DO take issue with that one.

"Moment of birth" abortions are a pro-forced-birth talking point meant to induce fear into the idea of "late-term abortions", which are not the same thing at all. "Moment of birth" abortions do not happen. They don't exist. I don't want this thread to derail into an abortion discussion, this is for American Politics. Please direct abortion discussion to the Abortion thread.

Ok. The whole thing saddens me. Mind you, I have no opinion on the subject. However, if my mother could have had an abortion she would have. This was 1953 and there were virtually no options for her. She chose to not name me and let my 11 year old brother do most of my care. So I apologize for stepping over the line here. If anyone here has pity on me, don't . Just hard to have an opinion on these matters for me. 

It's my personal opinion that there should absolutely be term limits, or at the very least age limits.  Plenty of people stay lucid and sharp even upwards of 80-90, but a whole lot of people don't.  And, that's not even the biggest point imo.  After a certain age, you're no longer in a position to have a legitimate understanding of the lives and struggles of the majority of the population.  An 18 yr old president would have nowhere near the life experience necessary to understand the concerns and issues facing the majority of working adults.  Similarly, people in their 70s and 80s grew up in a far different world than we live in today.  They absolutely have experience and wisdom (at least, some of them do xD), but they no longer have a first-person understanding of the issues facing a 30 yr old in 2020.

I've watched a bit of the debates and interviews, and I can't say I'm particularly impressed with either candidate.  But, I could never in good faith vote for a party that's anti-environment (because it's nice not having cancer), anti-LGBT+ rights, anti-abortion, and, essentially, pro-theocracy.  Really hoping Biden wins this one.

@Wizardwoman

Actually where's the problem if your mother would have chosen then? My mother told me, she only got me because society expected her to ger children. And actually, I think it would have been better if she wouldn't have had been forced to live a life she disliked.

As for me - well, depending on what believes about "souls", I either wouldn't have been born in the first place and thus wouldn't mind if she's have chosen not to get me, or if I'd have reincarnated, I'd simple have reincarnated elsewhere and thus wouldn't mind either.

An other thing is - I think every women who is forced not to get an abortion should then be able to demand full financial support for the child including full medical support until completed education, if not from the father,  then from the state that put down the anti-abortion legislation. I think that would settle things nicely as in the US the right of life obviously ends at birth. (And I think this put the issue back into the politics thread.)

As for term limits - in Germany a general abortion is only allowed up to the 3rd month of the fetus and only after one session of "counselling" (where the woman is told what options of support there are). Later abortions are only allowed in medical cases when the mother is at risk. Wouldn't that be an option for the US, too?

Back to Mr.Trump in US politics...

Yeah, Mr.Trump has pretty clear signs of a sociopathic and narcissistic personality, the way he behaves and I think this is not only unbecoming, but also dangerous for the US. Plus I think that the fact that he underwent a psychological test (where he claimed to have excelled and reported that he considered the last part "difficult") that was ro diagnose dementia is telling. It appears as if people in his surrounding suspect that he really has dementia.

As for Joe Biden's "stops" at times - they appear indeed more like an attempt to get around a stutter.

All in all, I think there should be an age limit for politicians in charge of a country in any case. IMO they shouldn't be too young, but have some life-experience, but also they shouldn't be too old as then it is extremely likely that health issues will show up.

@spatio

You ninja'd me with the age limits. I think politicians should have a double limit like the justices on the German Federal Constitutional Court (in Germany, too, actually, even though Angela Merkel did a pretty good job in her currently 15 years in the office). There a justice is allowed to serve either 12 years or up to 67 years of age. In both cases she or he drops out and has to be replaced. I think that would be a sensible thing to introduce for the US Supreme Court, too.

Edited by Astreya

I think the idea of having age limits is a great idea.  A president has to be 35 to run, so why not an age limit, too?  I think both candidates are a bit old to be running.  I'm not anti-senior by any means.  I'm one myself.  I've seen some sharp octogenarians, but I've seen them, too, with dementia.  I also worry about the physical demands of a presidency more than the mental one.  I mean, I can't imagine an 80 year old having the stamina to be president, yet I voted for Biden.  I hope and pray I made the right choice.  

I thought Trump was tested for dementia solely because Biden was.  

Edited by Classycal

@Classycal

I absolutely agree. I mean, in Germany there are some questions about Angela Merkel's health, too, even though she is "only" 66 by now. (Dunno if you have heard that she had several attacks of trembling in the last year and thus she is was always seated during national hymns when she met other  heads of state. Her mind is totally sharp, by the way - but it seems the stress of the job gets to her body). I think there is a reason why she doesn't want to carry on with the job, even though we will really miss her when she's not at the helm any more.