toxicneon

A Song of Ice & Fire series

Not meaning to make anyone jealous tongue.gif but I just finished rereading the four books and am starting in A Dance With Dragons tonight...

I read the first books all in a row after the fourth was released, and started rereading them to get ready for the release of the fifth.

I was amazed how much I actually forgot, because there was also a lot I remembered very clearly. There's just so much happening in these books smile.gif

Good thing I decided to reread...

Edited by Fengari

I haven't even heard of the series (or so I thought) until I remember I picked up the first book at a bookstore I frequent... I like the book but couldn't buy it yet. I completely forgot to go back at get it... now I want them xd.png

I haven't read them yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about them. I'll have to look for them in the library, as I have too many books and have run out of space.

I'm still rereading A Clash of Kings (second book) and am shocked at how many things I had forgotten - as in, I mostly remember where/in what condition the characters ended up in, but very little about HOW things happened.

My copy of A Dance With Dragons arrived last week, but I figured that I might as well lend it to a friend who's also obsessed with ASoIaF before reading it myself, because he'll definitely have it finished before I'm done rereading A Feast For Crows.

I hear mixed reviews about the last book, though, that for it's length there's supposedly very little plot advancement and that it, like A Feast For Crows, seems more world-building oriented.

Edited by lightbird

A Dance with Dragons... what can I say? Plodding at some points, but rewarding.. no spoilers here. GRRM continues his style in leaving you hanging. Some of my favorite characters only get a few chapters, sadly. But yeah, I burned through this book in a few days.

I have been considering reading this series for some time, and now that I suddenly got a gift card, I got the first books. I have some books left in another series that I'll finish reading before I start these, though. I hope they really are as good as you say, and I'm looking forward to finding out ^^ Does anyone know when the newest book will be released as a paperback? I'm slightly (well, perhaps not just slightly) obsessed about having all the books in a series matching

I have been considering reading this series for some time, and now that I suddenly got a gift card, I got the first books. I have some books left in another series that I'll finish reading before I start these, though. I hope they really are as good as you say, and I'm looking forward to finding out ^^ Does anyone know when the newest book will be released as a paperback? I'm slightly (well, perhaps not just slightly) obsessed about having all the books in a series matching

I checked on amazon that the paperback will come out sometime next spring. ^^

Since I have the first book in hardcover Russian translation and the others from the 2005 (English) paperback edition, I don't care about the books matching anymore. :B

Ah, thanks birdy ^^ I guess I'll have to try finding it at the library when I get that far in the series, then

lol i'm the exact same way. i like all my books in a series to be either paperback or all hardcover which is inconvenient as newly released books are only released in hardcover. i worked at a bookstore for a year so i know the system. ADWD won't be released in paperback for about a year. same goes for all new releases. this is b/c most people won't wait a year for a book to come out in paperback so they'll spend the money on a hardcover copy. after a year, sales usually die down, so to bump them up again they reprint and release in paperback. if anyone wants, i can ask one of my former barnes and noble coworkers for the exact release date of the paperback so you can mark your calendars!

*Waves*

This is on my list of books-to-read. Just waiting for my library to order them, which should take a few weeks. From what I've heard, they are quite similar to the Lord of the Rings series? I loved those, and I'm hoping I'll love these as well. I'm only a teen though, so I'm not exactly sure if I can handle the level of maturity xd.pngD

*Waves*

This is on my list of books-to-read. Just waiting for my library to order them, which should take a few weeks. From what I've heard, they are quite similar to the Lord of the Rings series? I loved those, and I'm hoping I'll love these as well. I'm only a teen though, so I'm not exactly sure if I can handle the level of maturity xd.pngD

The only way in which ASoIaF compares to LoTR is the epic scope of the saga, anything else - story, characters, premise(s, since there are so many of them that even after 5 books there's little idea of how the whole thing will end), writing - just can't be compared. It is also much more grown-up literature than LoTR.

Whether you'll be ready to read these, depends on how you can handle graphic violence and (not so graphic but many) sex scenes, including references to incest and rape, as well as the fact that many of the protagonist characters get killed off along the way.

Edited by lightbird

Just had to say: GRRM is mean! You just don't put cliffhangers like that in books if it takes you so long to write the next one... tongue.gif

Those who have finished ADWD will know what I'm talking about.

I thoroughly enjoyed ADWD but I'm quite frustrated now that it is 'finished'. Because it isn't. At all.

Oh my, I really hope it doesn't take him 6 years to write the next one.

Edited by Fengari

I really enjoyed the series. Like most people I only became aware of it AFTER I heard about the series on HBO. I saw the trailer one night while watching True Blood and my friend told me about the books so I read them before even bothering with the show and I really enjoyed them, moreso than Tolkien's I daresay. Definitely much easier to pay attention to and I was more emotionally invested in the characters. I've not yet read the latest book, perhaps when I'm not broke... smile.gif

Just had to say: GRRM is mean! You just don't put cliffhangers like that in books if it takes you so long to write the next one...

Those who have finished ADWD will know what I'm talking about.

This so much.

I hope this doesn't count as spam, but I summarized my thoughts on ADWD here, since I'm too lazy to type it up here once again. It DOES contain spoilers, be warned.

Edited by lightbird

I just started reading this series and I sped through the first book. I'm in the middle of reading a clash of kings. I love them, they're 800+ pages which keep me reading forever and the characters have a lot of variety.

I kinda want to know what you guys think is the best book so far in the series. I'm hoping to catch up soon, but I'm hoping they don't go downhill in quality like some series seem to.

I finished the first book not too long ago. Fell in love with the characters .... well some of them. And of course in almost any series I read, they KILL my favorite character(s), so now I am stuck finding another one.

I enjoyed the wonderful story and found it hard to put down. I am about 25 pages into A Clash of Kings and still can't wait for the next page to find out more of what happens.

All I have currently been told is that it is a blood bath in this book and the next. Will be fun =)

I kinda want to know what you guys think is the best book so far in the series. I'm hoping to catch up soon, but I'm hoping they don't go downhill in quality like some series seem to.

I'm kinda unsure about which is my favourite book. It used to be A Storm of Swords, but now for me most of the middle part seems to drag (although I love the Arya (as always!), Samwell, Tyrion (although I don't like his chapters in ADWD for the most part) and Jaime chapters), although I still think that the first and last thirds (roughly) are still brilliant and fast-paced. A Dance with Dragons is definitely not my favourite due to several reasons, however, I found myself quite enjoying A Feast for Crows (which by many fans seems to be a mark of decline, because it's slow-paced and concentrates more on world building). But I think that for me A Clash of Kings hits the most soft spots, so I'll probably vote for that one. c:

Edited by lightbird

I haven't read the latest one - still have to get that book. But have read the other four books about 2 times so far.

I love the characters and how indepth and involved it all is. The intrique the deals, double deals and everything that goes on in each book. Incredible read.

I only read the series a few months ago. I saw the first book in the store (luckily it isn't the one with the TV characters on it. smile.gif imo, it ruins the story for me when they put actors on the cover, but I digress...) and thought, 'Why, not?'. So I sped through it and bought "A Clash of Kings" the next day. I haven't read aDwD yet, waiting for it to be in paperback to match the others. My favorite book would have to be "A Game of Thrones", but my second fave is "A Feast for Crows". Yes, it dragged at times, but (SPOILERS) It made me see Jaime and Tyrion differently, I don't dislike them after learning their sides of the story. Even though I still don't care for her, it was sweet how Sansa befriended Robert Arynn. Brienne's and Jaime's(I think he was there, too?) hangings by (omg *gasp*) Catelyn's outlaws was so shocking!! I thought they would end up together. :3 And of course, Arya's escapades in Braavos were intriguing. My most favorite characters are Samwell, Brienne, Arya, Daenerys, and Jon. I usually don't do this while reading, but am I the only one who skipped ahead to read their favorite POVs? biggrin.gif

Edited for grammar fail. x3

Edited by Denwayasha

A Song of Ice and Fire is a wonderful series - I recommended it to all of my family and friends and all who read it fell in love with it too. I've read the fifth part as soon as it came out - won't talk much about it, because I dont want to spoil anyone, but the fact that I'm eagerly awaiting the next book speaks for itself (hopefully we wont have to wait for it as long as we did for this one wink.gif ). The HBO series is also a great adaptation of the novels - don't think they could have done it much better. <3

@toxicneon Wow, that song truly is amazing - adding it to my playlist straight away! Thanks for the rec!

Edited by stagazer_7

I really, really like A Song Of Ice And Fire, though it is a bit hard to read. Got a headache reading A Clash Of Kings, though the poor lighting might have something to do with that. And I read insanely fast.

My favourite characters are Tyrion and Daenerys, Jon to a lesser degree. I have a soft spot for characters like Tyrion.

There are only books up to Storm Of Sword translated into my native and the HBO aired on a channel in couldn't watch so I feel kinda sad. sad.gifHave patience.

Edited by LwyllasLaVey

Love this series, just finished the 5th book a could of days ago. I was trying to span it out over the next couple of years until the 6th one came out, but it got too hard to put down. tongue.gif

I've made my own Lannister lineage: http://dragcave.net/lineage/G17tb So if anyone wants an egg from Cersei and Jaime just ask ^^

I usually don't do this while reading, but am I the only one who skipped ahead to read their favorite POVs? biggrin.gif

Edited for grammar fail. x3

I did it once.... near the end of adwd for Daenerys .... I won't spoil it but I think those who read it will know the event I mean! xd.png