TJ09

2010-10-31 - Happy Halloween!

EDIT: LOL ninja'd so bad >>

Remember though in nature, male animals like birds/reptiles/ etc. tend to be more flashy and impressive. So I always thought it was very fitting that the males in DC were made to be more dynamic and flashy. It fits with nature!

ANYWAY awesome AWESOME sprites. I love these to death omg ;3;

I didn't get to grab one though, my friend tried to give me one but someone sniped it :c

But it's all good, maybe next year! I caught a pumpkin for me and my friend so all is good!

Edited by Yowl

Yes, I know...

I know, just wanted to highlight that part smile.gif

I really think it´s a matter of taste though. Honestly I don´t even think the females look demure actually.

@Renorei: No hard feelings :] I'll take note and for any future creation, I will test and see if your suggestion works better.

I don't see what there is to complain about...the dragons are awesome, the detailing on them is outstanding, and they're just plain wicked as hell! I'm loving everything about them! smile.gif And to those that don't like them, or are complaining, hell, give them up! Someone will be more than happy to take them off your hands! lol Excellent work, I don't have anything but the highest praise for them. One of my all time favorites, for sure! **squishes dragons**

Also, I think people are forgetting mammals. Yes, in nature you often see colorful, prettier males with reptiles and birds. But most DC dragons are designed with primarily mammalian anatomy. Yes, they have wings and they have leathery skin and somewhat reptilian faces, but the core anatomical structure is mammalian. Most DC dragons have anatomy that seems to be based on canines, felines, equines, etc. And amongst animals like that, animals with anatomical structures similar to our dragons, the only ones you see where the male is "prettier" would be lions, with their manes. With the other animals there is very little dimorphism, except for perhaps an imperceptible size difference.

These dragons are awesome. I am just sad that I was not able to catch one. My internet went down after two hours of unsuccessful hunting right after the eggs were released and is still not back. Thanks anyway to the spriters and to TJ for giving us these dragons.

Renorei, I do understand the point that you are making and have noticed the same thing and been annoyed by it. It is not a criticism of the sprites themselves at all, just of the choices made in posing each gender.

In terms of the quality of the art, both the male and the female (and the hatchlings, too) are absolutely top-notch.  Perfect anatomy, perfect shading, excellent color choices, etc.  So, I have no issues with the workmanship of the sprites, because in that respect they are absolutely flawless. 

What I take issue with is certain choices made in differentiating the female from the male.  And I've pretty much already stated those, but to reiterate:

-Male is in an active, dynamic pose.  From the positioning of his legs (sorta reared up), he appears to be engaged in movement.  The female's pose is much more static, less active, less dynamic, by comparison.  She is in a sitting pose, rather than a "moving" pose.  The male's wings are also flared out, whereas the female's are held closer to her body. 

-Male has very large, impressive, cool-looking horns.  Female has tiny horns.

-Male has really cool-looking red edges to his wings.  Female doesn't have those at all.

-Male's spine armor is larger and much more visible protruding out of his back, whereas female's seems smaller and is less visible. 

Someone else in this thread described these dragons as the male being awesome, and the female being cute.  I would agree with that assessment, but I would also say that the male = badass and the female = demure.  Problem is, personally I am just so tired of seeing that same dichotomy over and over again on DC.  With a handful of exceptions, whenever there is dimorphism the male is usually awesome/badass and the female is cute/demure.  I just don't see why it has to be this way.  I realize it is like that in nature sometimes, but that certainly isn't the case with all/most species, and it doesn't mean it has to be that way on DC.  Why can't both sexes be equally awesome/badass?  I can understand the value of having the dragons in two different poses because you can see more of the dragon, but couldn't both poses be equally dynamic?  Or, if one of them must be cute/demure, why does it have to be the female the vast majority of the time?  Couldn't it be the male about half the time?  I have gotten to the point where I am elated when new releases don't have dimorphism, because it means I won't have to be disappointed with how the female looks compared to the male.

It was me who stated that the females are cute and the males are awesome, but yes, I have to aggree with you, with the dimorphism .

As I saw the female (normal) Blacks, I was disappointed, because the Blacks are my fav's and are sated as warriors, but the females are not ''warrior like'' looking, to me at least .

Which doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the spriters work or admire the time they took to make those sprites smile.gif, I just don't like them as much as the ''old'' (male) ones .

I wish we'll see more ''dynamic'' / ''agressive'' females as well, would be some change ^^ .

Edited by Shichibi

Wow, of course TJ's hatchies grow up while I'm having class. xd.png

the adults are amazing! I think I remember the female sprite...either from a thread or the progress/completed list, I'm not sure which. But they are just gorgeous! I mean, wow...I just might get some more next year. o_o *greedy*

Die, smilie, die! >>

Edited by MissK.

It was me who stated that the females are cute and the males are awesome, but yes, I have to aggree with you, with the dimorphism .

As I saw the female (normal) Blacks, I was disappointed, because the Blacks are my fav's and are sated as warriors, but the females are not ''warrior like'' looking, to me at least .

Which doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the spriters work or admire the time they took to make those sprites smile.gif, I just don't like them as much as the ''old'' (male) ones .

I wish we'll see more ''dynamic'' / ''agressive'' females as well, would be some change ^^ .

Renorei, I do understand the point that you are making and have noticed the same thing and been annoyed by it. It is not a criticism of the sprites themselves at all, just of the choices made in posing each gender.

Thanks guys, I'm glad to see some of you understand where I'm coming from.

The adults are just epic in coolness! These might just be my favorite holiday dragons so far, thought the Christmas 09's also come close. At least they're my favorite Halloween released dragons... so far.

I love to poses for both the males and females, and I honestly can't choose a favorite between the two. I'm just so glad I was able to influence both of mine. The poses are just amazing, and I think these might just have the best poses yet out of all the dragons. biggrin.gif

Wow, I really like these guys. I've already got my four, but I think I'll go stalk the AP and see if I can find some more of these pretties.

Ohoooo, they grew up! I was hoping it'd be the Black Marrows. >D

Beautiful, beautiful work, Dovey and Seiss.

What I like are those bone-sort of things that grow out of the wings.

I'm not sure, but I think they're bones blink.gif or ?

Renorei :

No prob, I can understand your point and your feelings, the only thing about criticism is, that we have to choose our words carefully ^^, but I think Seiss is not angered at all smile.gif (I hope o.o) .

These dragon's are officially one of my favourates. Anyways, a Mod should be closing this soon since the hatchies grew up, so people, have you fun with posting for like, I dunno how long..

I like the female best (not saying I don't like the male!). Its posture is cat-like, and well, that's a good thing smile.gif And in the same way, less 'bulk' doesn't have to mean less ferocious. In hunting animals, the most slender and sleek are often the best hunters. They don't need huge bulk since even without that, they are still plenty strong to bring down their prey and their sleekness is a sign of speed and agility rather than a weakness.

But if there are any spriters who want to take the concerns expressed here to heart, it may be an idea to look at birds of prey and owls for inspiration. Among these birds, it's often the female that is the larger and stronger built, because they have to defend the nest while the male (slender & more agile!) provides the food.

(now back to the AP, thankfully I did manage to catch two for a set of adults, but still want a hatchy to freeze!)

I still think it's just a matter of perception and personal preference. I just scrolled though my dragons and to me there are only about two or three where I would say that the female appears "demure." As far as being aggressive, well I find that very few of our dragons appear to have that quality be them male or female, and the one that does show the most aggression has the female as the aggressor. (Hellfire) But, that's just the way I perceive them. That doesn't make my view right and Renorei's wrong; it's just different view points. I just happen to like a male who goes all out to try to impress a female only to have her kinda snub him.

Oh, and the majority of deer get grouped in with the lions at having the male showier then the female. wink.gif

/off topicness

Omg.

That 'Black Marrow' is SO cool name that I would die.

And the description!

Now we have real scavenger dragons ♥ They're great.

I'm so happy now that I have four.

If I had to say some negative thing, it's just that I would make the genders look more similar. I find the female one a bit complicated.

I'm not sure, but I think they're bones blink.gif or ?

I´m not exactly sure really. But I like the way they look awesome but creepy smile.gif