TJ09

2010-10-31 - Happy Halloween!

Quoted from Wiki:

A beak doctor costume was an ankle length overcoat and bird beak mask worn by a plague doctor to protect him from airborne diseases. The overcoat, as well as leggings, gloves, boots, and a hat, was made of waxed leather. Straps held the beak in front of the doctor's nose. The mask had glass openings for the eyes and a curved beak. The beak led to the name "beak doctors." It had two small nose holes and was a type of respirator against airborne germs. It was based on the miasma theory of disease. The beak held dried flowers (including roses and carnations), herbs (including mint), spices, camphor or a vinegar sponge. The robe was impregnated with similar fragrant items. Doctors believed the herbs would counter the "evil" smells of the plague and prevent them from becoming infected.

This is how it looked:

user posted image

Thank you for the information.

Now I think I remember that the "ring around the roses" verse also ha its origin there somehow.

Anyone have an extra of the event dragons for me? I wasnt on at all yesterday and I don't think my friend was able to get any.

I'm willing to give a vamp egg, or an autumn egg for one biggrin.gif

Try the trade threads

I think I recall seeing them and their description on the completed list. They are no longer there. happy.gif

Holiday dragons aren't on the progress/completed list or am I wrong o.o ??

I thought they will be secretly created in the Mod/Admin section or something like that ...

Ring around the roses has it's origin in the Black Death Plauge.

"We all fall down" meant that everybody died.

I thought they will be secretly created in the Mod/Admin section or something like that ...

I don't know maybe they are but these look pretty familiar to me. happy.gif

Another epic Halloween at Dragon Cave! Thank you TJ and all the artists for making it possible! I got all the tricks and treats, I managed to zombify two of my dragons, I bred three pumpkin eggs (two went to the AP, hopefully to people who didn't have any), and got four of the new eggs. The hatchlings are amazing! I can't wait to see what the adults look like.

Question! Where are you guys finding your "Grabber/Catcher '10" graphics? I'd like to add one to my sig, but I can't find the thread anywhere.

I hope these ones are breedable / reproducable, even if only at Halloween.

I like to breed holiday eggs just to give others a shot at getting them. Stopping biting vampires because they kept killing the eggs.

THIS is a fairly good list of dragon types, I think, though I'm not sure all are there. SOme of the holiday dragons are, though, so I guess it's worth checking, even if the new one might not be there right away.

It's probably been said a zillion times already, but I want to thank TJ for adding the second row of eggs, and the almost continuous rain of holiday eggs for the last few hours of the event.

If not for that, my husband and I would not have been able to catch any at all... this event had the most people I've ever seen in the cave at one time ohmy.gif

Thanks again, TJ!

Now I think I remember that the "ring around the roses" verse also ha its origin there somehow.

you would be correct (the lyric are differ depending on the contry so i am using the usa version)

Ring-around the roses:

(refers to the rash victims would get)

A pocket full of posies;

(refers to the fact that ppl carryed herbs and dried flowers to try to keep it away)

Ashes ashes

( a corruption it used to sneezing sounds another symptom )

we all fall down

(refuring to the death of the victim)

THIS is a fairly good list of dragon types, I think, though I'm not sure all are there. SOme of the holiday dragons are, though, so I guess it's worth checking, even if the new one might not be there right away.

I know the list on DC Wiki, but thanks anyway smile.gif, but I meant the unreleased ones .

They're normally, in Holiday dragons case, not on any list, until they're released .

EDIT :

The new ones are already on the Wiki (not on the list though) smile.gif : http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Currently_Being_Released

Edited by Shichibi

you would be correct (the lyric are differ depending on the contry so i am using the usa version)

Ring-around the roses:

A pocket full of posies;

(refers to the fact that ppl carryed herbs and dried flowers to try to keep it away)

Ashes ashes

we all fall down

In the version I learned it was 'Atishoo, Atishoo'

Then again, poems like this do vary from place to place happy.gif

I don´t think they are there either...

Holiday dragons are often worked on away from the eyes of the masses, so that they come as a complete surprise.

There is a shadowy circle of artists who work on several sprites not seen by the rest of us until release.

Holiday dragons are often worked on away from the eyes of the masses, so that they come as a complete surprise.

There is a shadowy circle of artists who work on several sprites not seen by the rest of us until release.

That is what I meant smile.gif .

So, they can't be or won't be on the lists here on DC, right ^^ ?

Holiday dragons have usually been original- ,not from the finished concept list. I see no reason why this would change. They are a "special "dragon

Ring-around the roses:

A pocket full of posies;

Ashes ashes

we all fall down

Another thank you for an explanation. smile.gif

It's amazing what one can learn in unexpected places.

@ Fortune86: I never knew that version, but it makes sense as well. "Ashes" actually always confused me, because I was thinking of ashes = left over of burned material, not sneezing.

Another thank you for an explanation. smile.gif

It's amazing what one can learn in unexpected places.

@ Fortune86: I never knew that version, but it makes sense as well. "Ashes" actually always confused me, because I was thinking of ashes = left over of burned material, not sneezing.

In this case, "ashes" refers to the mass burning of victims' bodies. There were too many bodies to do individual graves, and they were afraid the disease would spread if they just dumped people in a mass grave, so they piled bodies onto one big funeral pyre.

I believe the sneezing version is closer to the original, though.

Yay, my Pumpkins gendered correctly. I wish I had a female pink so I could avoid these stressful situations sad.gif.

Question! Where are you guys finding your "Grabber/Catcher '10" graphics? I'd like to add one to my sig, but I can't find the thread anywhere.

Found them!

oh, and by the way, i noticed that my little badges have caught on on the forums, so i made a new set for this year

user posted image

[IMG=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/silverstreak12/Pum3.gif]

user posted image

[IMG=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/silverstreak12/Pum4.gif]

user posted image

[IMG=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/silverstreak12/Crust1.gif]

user posted image

[IMG=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/silverstreak12/Crust2.gif]

Edited by icecube

Does anyone think the hatchlings' heads resemble baby birds with their open beaks?

I can't wait to see what the adults look like.

In this case, "ashes" refers to the mass burning of victims' bodies. There were too many bodies to do individual graves, and they were afraid the disease would spread if they just dumped people in a mass grave, so they piled bodies onto one big funeral pyre.

I believe the sneezing version is closer to the original, though.

Ah. I was just beginning to wonder if that was what the 'Ashes' version meant and was just coming back here to ask happy.gif