crazywargod

Gender Bender Anime/Manga/Manhwa

I know there is anime/manga topic out there but I figured gender benders are obscure and you just happen to run into them once in awhile and a thread for JUST gender benders could maybe get somes interest. Gender Bender is ITS OWN CATEGORY AND MUST BET LOVED!!!

Now this is for Gender Bender Anime/Manga/Manhwa ONLY!!! And Naruto counts.

Gender benders are a hard find. And many of them you do find are bad or just not your preferance. This thread is mainly for those to post ones they find are good or to avoid and for others to learn of ones that are good or to avoid.

Gender Bender is a story in which there is some form of gender swithching roles. Wether it be crossdressing (EX:Princess Princess) or rotating transformation (EX:Ranma 1/2) or complete transformation (EX:Kashimashi).

Not all gender benders are focused on the one changed. It could be a secondary character or even a random 1 time character.

While I scoff at these, discuss them as you will.

Edited by crazywargod

My memory can't recall certain ones right now but I love gender bender manga biggrin.gif it just sucks that the sites I used to go on (last time I checked) got rid of all of their online manga/don't upload anymore >.<

Ah found a few of them. I've read (so far anyway)

1/2 Prince- "switched genders" when in virtual and real life, so I guess you may say rotating genders?

He's Dedicated to the Roses- Really sweet that actually got more serious that I thought it would

Mint na Bokura- I just love twins so this made it even more perfect, plus it brought them closer together xd.png

No Bra- How I wish I could meet up with an old classmate like this ^o^ I was most shocked when reading this one xd.png Too funny haha

Edit: This is soo making me want to read a new one now laugh.gif

Edited by DeathCry

My memory can't recall certain ones right now but I love gender bender manga biggrin.gif it just sucks that the sites I used to go on (last time I checked) got rid of all of their online manga/don't upload anymore >.<

Ah found a few of them. I've read (so far anyway)

1/2 Prince- "switched genders" when in virtual and real life, so I guess you may say rotating genders?

He's Dedicated to the Roses- Really sweet that actually got more serious that I thought it would

Mint na Bokura- I just love twins so this made it even more perfect, plus it brought them closer together xd.png

No Bra- How I wish I could meet up with an old classmate like this ^o^ I was most shocked when reading this one xd.png Too funny haha

Edit: This is soo making me want to read a new one now laugh.gif

Me loves 1/2 Prince (it's technically a manhwa..) wub.gif

But strangely, gender benders are not as rare as people think...

Oh and TOMODACHI KARA YOROSHIKU DESU is a cute one biggrin.gif. Too bad it's a oneshot sad.gif

Me loves 1/2 Prince (it's technically a manhwa..)  wub.gif

But strangely, gender benders are not as rare as people think...

Oh and TOMODACHI KARA YOROSHIKU DESU is a cute one biggrin.gif. Too bad it's a oneshot  sad.gif

I only happened to discover them earlier this year but they're awesome laugh.gif

I've never heard of that one, but as of maybe an hour ago I started reading Pretty Face xd.pngxd.png

Edit: Ooo a female to male xd.png Be careful what you wish for laugh.gif

I might read that when I get a chance as well

Edited by DeathCry

I only happened to discover them earlier this year but they're awesome laugh.gif

I've never heard of that one, but as of maybe an hour ago I started reading Pretty Face  xd.png  xd.png

Edit: Ooo a female to male xd.png Be careful what you wish for laugh.gif

I might read that when I get a chance as well

Forgot about Pretty face xd.png. I've read that one too biggrin.gif.

I hope it gets a sequel though , this time he has to live a double life as himself (with the mask) and as a girl.(as if sleep.gif)

There's also a gender bender in Yui's arc in Kami nomi (The World God only knows), love that one too. wub.gif

Edited by Juzz

You know I avoided 1/2 prince for the longest time because it was FtM but I got really bored and read it. It is loads better then I thought.

Pretty Face was good. Sequel, yes. I hope though that the doctors desire to do a sex change operation would get the best of him and do it on *insert main characters name here* (I forgot)

(while not a gender bender Anime/Manga/Manhwa) Rosario Vampire has a crossdressing part.

Ageha 100% but it isn't finished yet TT^TT

Trans Venus is a bit mature. It is not a hentai but is a bit dirty. I like it but I warn you this is a dirty one.

My Boyfriend is a Vampire is a nice one.

Shinshi Doumei Cross is also good.

Sekainohate de Aimashou. I love this one. It is very slowly released but I enjoy it.

These are all I can remember atm.

I'm trying to think of this one anime that has a gender bender.... It starts with this guy who get squished by an alien spaceship. The alien ressurect him and heal him, but accidently turn him into a girl.

There's another one where this guy is possessed by an alien woman and when she takes over, his body turns into hers. Birdy the Mighty, I think. I might be wrong.

I also know of a couple of crossdressing moments. Legal Drug (Only has three volumes completed and CLAMP never finished it) has a chapter or two in the third volume where Kazahaya has to wear two dresses (one of which being a wedding dress). Of course, a char essential to that portion of the story also wore a dress.

The anime Sukisho also has an episode where Sunao had had to where a dress. That episode was hilarius.

Oh! There's also an anime where everyone is born a woman and then can decide later in life if they wish to become a man. Simoun.....I think, is the name.

Edited by RinaChiba

I'm trying to think of this one anime that has a gender bender.... It starts with this guy who get squished by an alien spaceship. The alien ressurect him and heal him, but accidently turn him into a girl.

There's another one where this guy is possessed by an alien woman and when she takes over, his body turns into hers. Birdy the Mighty, I think. I might be wrong.

I also know of a couple of crossdressing moments. Legal Drug (Only has three volumes completed and CLAMP never finished it) has a chapter or two in the third volume where Kazahaya has to wear two dresses (one of which being a wedding dress). Of course, a char essential to that portion of the story also wore a dress.

The anime Sukisho also has an episode where Sunao had had to where a dress. That episode was hilarius.

Oh! There's also an anime where everyone is born a woman and then can decide later in life if they wish to become a man. Simoun.....I think, is the name.

Kashimashi is the first one.

As for the second one. Birdy the Mighty is correct but that description can be used for Trans venus Too.

The last one is correct also.

I will definitely try to look some of these up when I get a chance. There was one I started ... uh attempted a gender bender that I can't recall at all but found it very boring, but that was me anyway.

My Boyfriend is a Vampire sounds interesting, so does Simoun. laugh.gif

I will definitely try to look some of these up when I get a chance. There was one I started ... uh attempted a gender bender that I can't recall at all but found it very boring, but that was me anyway.

My Boyfriend is a Vampire sounds interesting, so does Simoun. laugh.gif

I get quite a few gender bender ideas but I can't write worth a damn.

My Boyfriend is a Vampire. The name threw me for a bit especially with the cover but I gave it a chance. It turned out not to be a yaoi and is really good. (I LOATH yaoi)

Oh! How could I forget Sailor Moon!

I know, not what one might expect in gender bending, but it has several examples. First, when they dubbed it to english, Zoicite and Fish-Eye magically became female (since the idea of having homosexual men in a show geared towards young girls was appaling to the dubbers). Then, in manga and anime, you have the Sailor Starlights. Men when in civilian form, women when in senshi form. ^ ^

Oh! How could I forget Sailor Moon!

I know, not what one might expect in gender bending, but it has several examples. First, when they dubbed it to english, Zoicite and Fish-Eye magically became female (since the idea of having homosexual men in a show geared towards young girls was appaling to the dubbers). Then, in manga and anime, you have the Sailor Starlights. Men when in civilian form, women when in senshi form. ^ ^

Wait homosexual men in a show geared toward young girls. Isn't that the definition of a yaoi?

So THAT is how the manga version is a gender bender.

Wait homosexual men in a show geared toward young girls. Isn't that the definition of a yaoi?

No. Yaoi is just a step up from Boys' Love (shounen-ai). Girl's and women like it simply because it's a fantasy. I'm pretty sure there are some guys that watch it, to. I've seen enough male cosplayers dressing as Soubi from Loveless. >.>.....

Sadly, I don't know another gender bender at the time, but I do know a good cross dressing moment which could serve as a gender bender.

user posted image

First, he's a man.

user posted image

Then he's a woman.

Ok, he's actually still a man, but you have to admit that diguise is very convincing. I choked on my drink when I saw him in that dress, wig and fake breasts.

No. Yaoi is just a step up from Boys' Love (shounen-ai). Girl's and women like it simply because it's a fantasy. I'm pretty sure there are some guys that watch it, to. I've seen enough male cosplayers dressing as Soubi from Loveless. >.>.....

Sadly, I don't know another gender bender at the time, but I do know a good cross dressing moment which could serve as a gender bender.

user posted image

First, he's a man.

user posted image

Then he's a woman.

Ok, he's actually still a man, but you have to admit that diguise is very convincing. I choked on my drink when I saw him in that dress, wig and fake breasts.

Yaoi, in general, is geared toward young girls. Of course there will be guys who watch/read it. I myself watch sailor moon and enjoy it and I'm an 19 year old dude. Just because something is geared toward a certain group doesn't mean that others not from that group wouldn't like it or those of that group will like it. It just means that those of the particular group is most likely to enjoy it. Like yaoi and girls.

I must get the name of that show and episode number.

By definition, Yaoi is sexual activity between two men. Most is geared towards women (since it's mature). Shounen-ai is just hand holding, dating, maybe a little kissing that is done between two boys. THAT is what is geared towards young girls. You have to make sure you get the right definition. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

As for that show, it's Gundam 00 and it's somewhere in the second season.

By definition, Yaoi is sexual activity between two men. Most is geared towards women (since it's mature). Shounen-ai is just hand holding, dating, maybe a little kissing that is done between two boys. THAT is what is geared towards young girls. You have to make sure you get the right definition. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

As for that show, it's Gundam 00 and it's somewhere in the second season.

That is very true but yaoi can be used as a general term often being used by younger BL fans. This is wrong and they usually learn but it is used that way.

I myself just lump all BLs as yaoi because it is easier for me.

I will find that episode. That is amazing how complete that change looks.

Princess Prince, by Tomoko Taniguchi?

Some prince who reminded his father too much of the queen that died, so he was made to cross-dress as a girl, or something.

Princess Prince, by Tomoko Taniguchi?

Some prince who reminded his father too much of the queen that died, so he was made to cross-dress as a girl, or something.

I will look that up.

Also

Princess Princess:(Not your typical guy crossdressing gender bender) So it is about a all-male school were feminine looking boys are made to dress as girls for the pleasure of the other students.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! *revives thread*

So lately I've been scouring the interwebs for gender bender webcomics. Well I found 2 good, long ones. EGS and The Wotch (currently not updating)

You know I avoided 1/2 prince for the longest time because it was FtM but I got really bored and read it. It is loads better then I thought.

At first, I avoided it too, since I was kinda waiting for it to end before I read it... BUt my curiosity got me xd.png

At first, I avoided it too, since I was kinda waiting for it to end before I read it... BUt my curiosity got me xd.png

I have mixed feelings on that. I wish it would end because I am anxious to see how it ends and I don't want anothe naruto or bleach. I love the both of them but they need to end.

On the other hand I don't want it to end. I like it too much.

I am suprised though. I naturally avoid FtM like the plague. I much preffer MtF. The jokes are funnier IMHO.

Not sure if it counts, but After School Nightmare has a character who is female from the waist down, and male from the waist up. The whole story is this character trying to figure out if s/he is a boy or a girl.

Not sure if it counts, but After School Nightmare has a character who is female from the waist down, and male from the waist up. The whole story is this character trying to figure out if s/he is a boy or a girl.

I have strict criterion for what is and is not a gender bender.

To me crossdressing and gender bender are two very different things.

The only exception is if the boy/girl is trans even if they still have the boy/girl parts (which is technically crossdressing).

Now to your suggestion. I beleive ASN is in fact a gender bender. This person is part girl, trying to hide it, and has a identity crisis about weather they are a boy or girl. (if this wasn't a psychological manga I would probably just call it crossdressing. Boy parts=Boy and Girl parts=Girl, I mean private parts, they have girl parts. Mentally that's different of course. I beleive they became a girl in the end. (and IIRC they have periods like a girl.))

stupid rant. Plain and simple. YES it is a gender bender.

Oo, fun thread. ^^

Ouran High School Host Club! I got into the anime, but I never read the manga... The main character, Haruhi, is a girl, but at school she wears a boy's uniform and speaks Japanese masculine-ly (and gets roped into joining the host club), so everyone assumes she's a boy.

She's rather trans-ish, but she doesn't ever really declare what her deal is or anything. It's left kind of open-ended. There's a boy she crushes on, and in the end she becomes more comfortable with both feminine and masculine things, but she stays part of the host club and puts her cute blue jacket back on, so.

Plus the some of the bishi boys she hangs out with crossdress sometimes for the fanservice, so there's that. Later in the series you find out Haruhi's father dresses and pretty much lives as a woman.

Oo, fun thread. ^^

Ouran High School Host Club! I got into the anime, but I never read the manga... The main character, Haruhi, is a girl, but at school she wears a boy's uniform and speaks Japanese masculine-ly (and gets roped into joining the host club), so everyone assumes she's a boy.

She's rather trans-ish, but she doesn't ever really declare what her deal is or anything. It's left kind of open-ended. There's a boy she crushes on, and in the end she becomes more comfortable with both feminine and masculine things, but she stays part of the host club and puts her cute blue jacket back on, so.

Plus the some of the bishi boys she hangs out with crossdress sometimes for the fanservice, so there's that. Later in the series you find out Haruhi's father dresses and pretty much lives as a woman.

By "my" standards that is a crossdressing manga with a gender bender character (Haruhi's dad is a trans). It isn't that I dislike gender benders that are crossdressing, I just believe gender bender and crossdressing should be two distinct categories of manga/anime/manhwa. I also think a gender bender, or crossdressing for that matter, should focus on the gender bended, or crossdresser, or at the very least have the gender bended, or crossdresser, be a secondary character (ex:the main character's best friend is a trans, crossdresser, transformed MtF or FtM). It has to be a multiple reoccuring theme. So no "appears for one or two chapter/episode then is never seen again".

So OHSHC is a gender bender and crossdressing manga/anime/manhwa. By my standards.