klinneah

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Agrippa (as in Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa the historical figure) has a rather vague history- we know he wrote stuff on the modern occult way of thought and that he may or may not have been persecuted for his beliefs (there is apparently no evidence to suggest he was but it is still considered to be a possibility). In fact I think this lack of background information on the figure the character was based on shows a good deal about him in the game- he does ramble on, but in the end we still don't know much about him. Vague facts are presented about his past but never fully revealed; he makes promises that we never see fulfilled. This puts his morality as well as his entire character into question (as we are unsure of the real Agrippa's true morality).

This calls in one of the main themes of the game- who in this game is 'good' or 'bad'- is anyone in the game evil? Is everyone? ---SPOILER ALERT--- Daniel meant only to avoid a horrible fate, but ended up killing innocents to achieve that purpose. Alexander possibly sacrificed hundreds of innocent prisoners, yet as a member of a different world we wonder if our ethics even apply to him (not to mention he was only trying to get back to his love). Agrippa promises to help Daniel if you throw his head through the portal, but we never know if he intends to keep that promise or simply discard Daniel as one would a used tool. The ambiguity itself creates a lot of the game simply because the void is there.

I think that's because they may make a second one, where we may go to Alexander's world, which is even more frightening and twisted, and solve the loopholes of Daniel's personal damnation, Alexander's true vision, and Agrippa's life.

I've seen the end of this game, and I love the thought-provoking story that it presents. Very good.

However, I cannot play it myself for more than 15 minutes at a time, and I haven't beaten it. Yet at least. I'll pull through it eventually though.

I'd like to include that I've owned the game for over a year. XD

Edited by Kei To Everything

I think that's because they may make a second one, where we may go to Alexander's world, which is even more frightening and twisted, and solve the loopholes of Daniel's personal damnation, Alexander's true vision, and Agrippa's life.

I honestly hope that a sequel of that nature doesn't happen; it would detract from the mystery you're left with from the original. I like the idea that seems to be presented in FG's upcoming A Machine for Pigs game- something tangentially but not wholly related to the original Amnesia game. That way (hopefully!) we can explore further into the mystery without having every mystery revealed for us (thus ruining the vague aura that Amnesia uses). However, we only have concept art and a small synopsis at the moment so I'm just going off of conjecture here blink.gif

Edited by Amphitrite.the.Nereid

This game doesn't but it sure gives me A LOT of jump scares by just watching pewdiepie's Vids!!! I am NEVER gonna get this! I watching videos with a cushion just incase those things come bursting out of cupboards D:

I have the game, but I haven't played it yet. I really want to. :c

I won't be able to play pretty much anything except Minecraft and maybe 2 other games until I get a new computer.

I also have Penumbra now, and I think I'll play that first. Just because it's supposedly less scary than Amnesia. Saving the best for last. |D

By the time I have a new computer, I'm hoping to have also acquired a mic to record my voice. If this game/these games genuinely freak me out, I want to record it.

I was watching PewDiePie's Let's Play with my friend, and we both screamed so hard when the monster popped out. DX I'll be watching more Let's Plays, but I sure as censorkip.gif won't be playing the game. I don't want to have two-month-long nightmares.

Bought it, played for about 30 minutes before I had to stop. sleep.gif

That was...about a year ago. Not for lack of wanting to play...just, I always seem to remember I own it at night, after everyone has gone to bed.

Yush. I love this game. I got it for christmas and played until I got to the lab. I've never turned it on since because no one in the house will sit next to me while I play. I have watched Let's Plays of it many many times. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

Sigh... When I stop freaking out when WoW monsters come after me out of nowhere, I'll play this game. =[ I started it, then hid under the light before the monster was even close to appearing. nope nope nope nope i'm not doing this nope

I'll just make my sister replay it over and over. It doesn't scare her. >_>

I downloaded the Demo on steam, >.< i stopped playing after a few minutes though.

And, you know they're making a sequel to this? Its called "Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs".

These games question my sanity when i play then. xd.png

I played the game with friends. It was funny because we were playing in a dark room with the sound turned all the way up and they kept freaking out. I just laughed and messed with them the entire time when they kept dying.

Reaction videos of people playing this are the best xd.png This game is really spooky, and the way some people response to Mr. Face looming around the corner is just comedic gold. I hate the water parts, though >_>

I finally got my hands on this game and I'm attempting a let's play series on it... it scares me so much XD I can't wait for Machine for Pigs... but yet, I also can wait for it...

I downloaded the Demo on steam, >.< i stopped playing after a few minutes though.

And, you know they're making a sequel to this? Its called "Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs".

These games question my sanity when i play then. xd.png

tHEY WHAT

Time to call my sister and warn her about forcing her to play! Forever.