klinneah

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

SEARCHED DIDNT FIND

Okay, so Amnesia isn't exactly new (came out in August) but I found out about it recently and watched the demo vid. It's supposed to be a horror/survival game. I've seen it played, it freaks me out, and my sister downloaded a free trial and I just about peed myself.

Played it? Seen it played? Want it? Never heard of it?

Edited by klinneah

@chickenhound: I lol'd, when I could understand what the guy was saying. He talks really fast.

Here's the official site.

Absolutely terrifying and creepy. My heart was pounding just WATCHING these videos. (And really, I'm not usually that freaked out by horror games. I wasn't scared by the Fear games or by the first Bioshock [not really horror I guess, but still]. People can argue that these games aren't scary but JUST HUSH UP.).

It is a fantastic game though. I recommend it for horror genre lovers.

He said his name was Total Biscuit...

MellaBella, that was probably THE most terrifying thing I've ever seen. Most especially the water level (oh my God the water) that was really freaking me out. Especially since every 30 seconds or so he'd fall and start freaking out cause the monster was coming after him. The occasional freak-out comment made the rest of it more funny than hilarious ("That door wasn't open before." "PFFFFFHAHAHAHAHAHA") but the Cellar Archives were made MORE scary by the fact that he was freaking out.

I heard of it while Tate was streaming some Nightmare House 2. It's supposed to be scary and terrifying.

I wanna try it now. :>

I really want to steal get it, but I'm normally mediocre at video games and when I'm freaked out and under pressure and timed...I'm much, much worse. I would fail in the Archives. And that's supposed to be near the beginning!

Watched the review vid first.

lol'd.

Watched the demo vid second.

Bloody near pissed myself.

I liked the way it looked, but I doubt I could play it in the dark o_o; I clenched my teeth so hard during the movies of it I gave myself a major headache. Looking back, I saw he could pick up the some of the candles and possibly carry them arround while lit as an alternate light source, and in the water level he could run much faster than the monster actually can, panic and doors are what lead to problems... And the fact that he could only take three hits! That thing seriously was freaky (fully expect to see it in my nightmares, though there was nothing to see)!!

I really want that game now! Even though usually I'm reaallly bad with horror genre things, but I love puzzles...

Noon, outside and with sunny weather and I could probably manage xd.png

Edited by jkbat

Looking back, I saw he could pick up the some of the candles and possibly carry them around while lit as an alternate light source.

Actually you can't do that. The only light source you can carry around with you is the lantern that eats oil like crazy.

I've watched a friend of mine play this and I've seen some videos as well. Terrifying game, it really does its job well.

My brother bought it when it came out, and I've watched play it on several occasions. I also watched him play the demo of it, and dude it's scary! >.<

It actually had us screaming like girls - something that I can be excused for, him not so much - more than once. The storage area and the prison cells are the probably worst parts I've seen.

Oh, he's stopped playing it at the cistern/sewers bit. I've tried to get him to finish it, but I don't think he will. xd.png

Oh god I came to this subforum specifically looking for an Amnesia thread, I am so pleased to actually find one! I bought the game for the second time a couple of days ago, and will probably be buying it again so I can gift it to people. As I've said many times on this forum I'm a huge, HUGE fan of Frictional Games, Penumbra is still my favorite series but Amnesia is a very close second. IMO no other dev team really gets horror like Frictional does.

(SPOILERS)...

I really liked Alexander and felt a bit sorry for him, he ended up being my favorite character. I got the bad ending on purpose the first time I beat it because I didn't want to kill him. ): Not sure what that says about me as a person, to feel sorry for a guy like that, but oh well...

"Paint the man, cut the lines..."

"Pleeease, I didn't do anything! Mehh, mehhh, mehhhh!"

I laughed so hard when I heard that, it's such an unexpected bit of humor in such a serious scene. Daniel is such a censorkip.gif***, it's wonderful. cool.gif

Edited by Koroshiya-Ichi

My boyfriend bought the game and I'll be watching him play it today. 8D

HILARITY WILL ENSUE. Since he gets freaked out easily (especially with water stuff). Bwahaha.

It's a great game, despite the errors that I experience. I play with headphones and freak out every time I hear a noise. xd.png

I've gone as far as the prison, but I can't see well enough to get around and I'm almost out of oil...

Because I have an absolutely awful graphics card my game has this problem where every light source flickers whenever Daniel moves, making it really difficult to see sometimes, and the lantern becomes more of an annoyance than a help. In the prison I was wandering around blind much of the time too. I can't wait till you get to the last area, William...

Also, Mella Bella, please do post about your bf's reactions. I wish I could watch someone play it for the first time, I'd be laughing my ass off the whole time.

Edited by Koroshiya-Ichi

WELL, this isn't him, but this video pretty much sums up my boyfriend's reaction:

:D

Oh god I LOVE that video, every time someone even mentions it I have to go watch it and laugh.

What part did he get to?

He was in the middle of the water part, actually. XD He sounded EXACTLY like that guy from the video as he was doing it. It was hilarious. He almost threw his mouse at the screen, too.

He was jumping around, and he was panicking so he kept missing the boxes and kept getting hit by the creatures. Priceless.

I cannot jump for sh*t in Amnesia (or Penumbra for that matter), so I kept missing the boxes in the water part too. I never died there but had a few close calls, and dear god I was shaking and sweating so much while playing that part that it practically felt like my OWN life was in real danger.

I've watched a bunch of Let's Plays of this game and I'm pretty sure it was Mangaminx who was doing the water part when she grabbed one of the severed arms to distract the monster with, and tried to throw it... only to drop it into the water right next to the box she was already standing on. I laughed so hard it hurt. That's a hilarious LP in general.

I'm not sure I fancy my chances of making it through the prison without having a heart attack. xd.png If I even THINK I hear something suspicious I freak out and run. This gives mixed results, like the time I ran right into a monster in another area.

I've also done the "drop a limb right next to me" thing with the water monster instead of throwing. >_> Oops.