RheaZen

Lovecraft

<3 Got my own book of Lovecraft stories yesterday. I wish the store had the same versions the school has, I really liked those covers.

?

Shouldn't read Lovecraft before going to bed, but it's so deliciously hard to resist.

Should I get the Necromicon- is it worth the money, as it's hardback?

Oh, and I clicked your Party, Fortune. <3

http://dragcave.net/lineage/g75d

Started to name dragons with stuff from his stories. Can't say anything about the hardback, Ruins, sorry. It's hard to find untaken names as he does draw upon mythology and such, meaning that other people take them...

Gorgo, Mormo, Thousand-Faced Moon is from The Horror at Red Hook, if ya need reminding.

Finished The Nameless City and Dagon. I'm... actually not that scared. I can see where the horror is coming from, but it's just beautifully written. He's the kind of writer that really seems to paint with words, there's no trouble in trying to imagine what's going on.

I hear Pickman's Model is pretty scary though (or at least, it got an entry in the High Octane Nightmare Fuel page), so I'll give it a shot.

Oh, and yes, I am doing this at 2 in the morning.

I have bad enough nightmares when I remember them, anyway.

ETA: Alright, so it appears reading The Nameless City, Dagon, Ny... whatever the pharoah-god was named, and The Colour of Outer Space while highly sleep deprived won't give you nightmares. I'm hoping to have The Hound, Pickman's Model, and The Call of Cthulu done before the end of the day.

ETA: Two out of three, working on Call of Cthului.

Edited by Dr. Paine

A lot of the horrifying things he addresses are a bit achronistic(?) and at times racist (The Street).

What did you think of Pickman's Model?

A lot of the horrifying things he addresses are a bit achronistic(?) and at times racist (The Street).

What did you think of Pickman's Model?

-nod- I can see how it must've been absolutely mind-boggling for its time, though.

And Pickman's Model was good. Certainly wasn't expecting the ending (for some reason, the title made me think of like... some kind of impossible statue x3), as a matter of fact, and it's an interesting take on the idea of changelings.

Yus, certainly unique. Can make you wonder about certain people IRL as well xd.png

You have to read The Quest of Iranon. Seriously. I think it's one of his most beautiful pieces.

Yus, certainly unique. Can make you wonder about certain people IRL as well xd.png

You have to read The Quest of Iranon. Seriously. I think it's one of his most beautiful pieces.

Will do biggrin.gif

I think The Nameless City is still my favorite... it's probably a combination of it being my first Lovecraft story, and how I discovered it.

ETA: Gave up on The Call of Cthulu for the time being- I'm currently working my way through the Dream Cycle, then I'll start on the Cthulu Mythos.

Edited by Dr. Paine

Yeah, some of his stuff can be rather long/winded ^^; Very scenic though, just a lot of material to slog through.

Yeah, some of his stuff can be rather long/winded ^^; Very scenic though, just a lot of material to slog through.

Oh, no, it was nothing related to that xd.png He gets a tad off track at times, but it works.

I just wanted to get the Dream Cycle (I'm up to 'The Other Gods') down without distractions, I'll just do Call of Cthulu when I get to it.

Absolutely LOVED The White Ship, and The Quest of Iranon almost had me crying. How it hasn't been added to the Tearjerker section of Lovecraft's trope page is just... -shakes head- This is the stuff that makes me want to become a troper xd.png

Edited by Dr. Paine

Oh, I see.

Toldya! Yus, you should totally become a troper. It fits you well xp

Finally finished At the Mountains of Madness. It only took about about a month.

As much as I'm loving the stories, it shouldn't really take two pages just to walk down a corridor.

Telling the thruth I never read Lovecraft before (but, of course, who haven't heard of Cthulhu? xd.png) His books are hard to find in my town (most books, in general dry.gif ) But I got a selection of short stories and poems and started to read them, and I find his writting style fascinating. Is there any story you recommend?

I wish I could get the Necronomicon....

Telling the thruth I never read Lovecraft before (but, of course, who haven't heard of Cthulhu? xd.png) His books are hard to find in my town (most books, in general dry.gif ) But I got a selection of short stories and poems and started to read them, and I find his writting style fascinating. Is there any story you recommend?

I wish I could get the Necronomicon....

The Nameless City and The Colour of Outer Space are two of my favorites.

And The White Ship.

Apparently they canceled the production of the "At the Mountains of Madness" movie. Del Toro seems to have that happen to him a lot.

Apparently they canceled the production of the "At the Mountains of Madness" movie. Del Toro seems to have that happen to him a lot.

Why? His movies tend to do really well.

I think my favorite lovecraft short story is Rats in the Walls. Out of all of the shorts, that's the one that's stuck with me the longest. I have to go back and re-read it occasionally. :3 Many of his short stories really embodied Poe's concept of starting with a feeling and growing the story from there.

lasdkjfh how'd you get that name? /do want

I got it by entering it biggrin.gif My other Moonstone boy is H P Lovecraft. I would've sworn that was taken, too xd.png

... OH SON OF A-

... whew. Awesome. -just reserved Iranon for a future Tinsel boy biggrin.gif- I re-read that one last night, and.. ... you know, a Tinsel-whatever lineage based on stuff from the Dream Cycle might be kinda cool, character/location names could be used...