RheaZen

Lovecraft

Started re-reading some books, found that the thread had disappeared. Any other fans?

Also, Cthulhu. There's always Cthulhu.

Started re-reading some books, found that the thread had disappeared. Any other fans?

Also, Cthulhu. There's always Cthulhu.

Um....

I have 7 Lovecraft perfumes (Miskatonic U, Shub-Niggurath, R'lyeh, and 4 from the Lovecraft Valentine series) a Lovecraft locket (A Study in Emerald) a stuffed Cthulhu, the Lovecraft episodes of Night Gallery on tape...and oh yeah, books.

I think I'm a fan. biggrin.gif

ETA: Wife pointed out I forgot my Shub soap.

Edited by ShinyTomato

I'm also a fan of Lovecraft. smile.gif Been working my way through my copy of the Necronomicon (big compilation of his stories) lately. Even though they were written so many years ago, his stories can still send a chill down my spine and keep me up at night.

There is also an awesome board game that is based on the mythos, Arkham Horror. I'd recommend it to any Lovecraft fan.

I don't have any of his stuff - not even any books, there's a particular set I want to buy that I'll probably have to find online.

I did, however, make a tentacle dragon.

@.@

Perfumes? Huh. What do they smell like? Just... normal perfumes?

They run the gamut really, but all of them derive from the books or things sort of that go along with the books.

Like The High Priest Not to Be Described: ...and there... sat a lumpish figure robed in yellow silk with red and having a yellow silken mask over its face. To this being the slant-eyed man made certain signs with his hands, and the lurker in the dark replied by raising a disgustingly carven flute of ivory in silk covered paws and blowing certain loathesome sounds from beneath its flowing silken mask.

Monastic incense, blood musk, black leather, cypress, pimento, white pepper, and Roman chamomile.

Shub: Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young, the All-Mother and wife of the Not-to-Be-Named-One.

The lust incense of a corrupted Astarte. A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices.

They're freaking awesome, but that may or may not be because I am an addict.

A Picnic in Arkham Perfume Series

*Reads*

Ozone-scented?! What.

Dude, the crap BPAL comes up with. Ozone is nothing. They actually had a special perfume for the entire time Paris Hilton was in jail that was literally, jailhouse hooch.

As far as what it is, it's that smell when it's about to rain or thunder from all the nitrates in the air.

I've read a series of short stories- Cold Print- that are based on his works; half them were scarey, half of them just made me go 'Meh, big gribbly creatures... Seen it all before.' But they were all good, I think.

I based one of my OCs on a description of a man who'd been a little too close to the Black Goat... Damien Hurnst, the half-demon with the wooden arm.

I'm just amazed that they can bottle that sort of smell/actual market it.

... then again, I would buy it. Maybe I can get my mom to buy me some. She would be excited at me wanting to be "girly" by buying perfume xp

What I truly love most is his detail...

I've been reading some graphic novels based off of Lovecraftian mythology. Can't recall the titles, but very creepy.

This game has at least one Lovecraftian work I am starting to enjoy... I need to read/play a bit more to fully decide, but it's enough to make me consider seeking out his books.

I actually haven't read any Lovecraft books, but I know that some friends of mine like them. And Rhea. :,D

Could maybe look into them, if there are any in the library.

I read a comic full of Lovecraft and Poe works done in cartoon form... It was cool. biggrin.gif

... thank god for public domain biggrin.gif -has found a great collection of Lovecraft work online-

*sums up courage, pokes Doctor*

But do you like Dragonology?

*sums up courage, pokes Doctor*

But do you like Dragonology?

Yes, quite a bit. Still have the handbook somewhere, and once I can see myself actually doing it, I will revive the rp x3.

Bleh... and I failed at reading more Lovecraft, I still need to finish a story. Any suggestions for ones that'll hold you for a while and/or are short?

Yes, quite a bit. Still have the handbook somewhere, and once I can see myself actually doing it, I will revive the rp x3.

Bleh... and I failed at reading more Lovecraft, I still need to finish a story. Any suggestions for ones that'll hold you for a while and/or are short?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by short, but I'll give it a shot.

I'd recommend 'The Dunwich Horror', if you're looking for a good concise story. I'm probably not surprising you with this one, but 'Call of Cthulhu' is one you should look at as well.

I'd also recommend 'Nyarlathotep' and 'The Picture in the House', which are a bit shorter than 'The Dunwich Horror'.

'The Color Out of Space' is also really good...

There are so many others I want to mention, but I'll leave it at that for now. Sometimes I get carried away when I start talking about Lovecraft. tongue.gif

I've always wanted ot read Lovecrof, but I think he writes in the first person? I really struggle with books like that...

In case anyone might be interested, there's a pretty good podcast which does readings of Lovecraft's writings: HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast.

I think they provide pretty good summaries of the stories. Something nice to listen to while you do homework or surf the internet.

And the guy who does a majority of the readings has an awesome voice. cool.gif

I have to admit I only read one of his books. I'm not all that much into horror and the books are so old the libraries near me don't have them.

I do however have the board game, which I play once a month with my archery club. I have to say, that board game is one of the best board games I've ever played. Seriously, if you're into Lovecraft, that game is well worth getting. It's for 1 to 8 players and the real beauty of it is that you can play it with only one player 'cause you play against the board. There's also a Call of Cthulu card game, but I haven't played it yet.

Bought a copy of the Necronomicon* at the weekend. Loving it so far o3o

*Collected works of HP Lovecraft.

Edit: Just finished reading 'The Outsider'. Poor thing.

Edited by Fortune86