TikindiDragon

Autism/Aspergers

I...I don't know about Autism, honestly. I get that they can't help it, they're nice people, and they are perfectly fine. But I hate saying this...I don't like talking to them. It makes me feel bad, and I know I shouldn't, but it's so..awkward. And..I don't know..they aren't very fun and talk about things that I don't like...It's really, really bad for me to say this, I get it..What should I do?

I...I don't know about Autism, honestly. I get that they can't help it, they're nice people, and they are perfectly fine. But I hate saying this...I don't like talking to them. It makes me feel bad, and I know I shouldn't, but it's so..awkward. And..I don't know..they aren't very fun and talk about things that I don't like...It's really, really bad for me to say this, I get it..What should I do?

Same for me. I always feel uncomfortable around them, and then guilty because I feel uncomfortable... unsure.gif

Actually I always found talking to Autistic people to be just as nice as everyone else.

I always thought it was about letting them pick the topic and pace. *shrug*

But then, what conversation isn't about that?

Yes. We are people whose social section of the brain didnt-develope/is-underdeveloped and thus our life in general is one big mas of awkward situation/s :D

... at least for me/thats what i think.

Talking to someone who has aspergers is easier for me because in my experience there's very little hidden meaning and it's all very literal, which is MUCH easier for me to understand since I'm really bad with hidden meaning and subtleties in conversation, especially implications.

One of my best friends since 1st grade has aspergers . She reads a LOT and can't control calling out . And 2 of my cousins have autism, and another one might have it . He's 4 and hasn't spoken yet, but my aunt and uncle are in denial . My other 2 cousins are brothers, and I love them more than anything . They're amazing artists .

@ ~AllTimeLow~ and Cxisbest: I've learned that you shouldn't treat them any differently than you'd treat your best friend . You shouldn't act sympathetic or talk to them in a different way .

It really depends on the individual you are talking to. (And btw, many people feel that way being around people with all different sorts of disorders. I've grown up in the mental health system and I still feel that way about certain people).

One of my best online friends has high-functioning Aspergers. And I had *no idea*. I mean, seriously. She is completely normal when it comes to conversations, displays none of the awkwardness or confusion or inability to converse properly that I've read about. Most of the time she seems completely normal. There are certain things, like inability to handle any type of stress without breaking down, inability to handle any sort of conversation that is the least bit confrontational, etc... But in day to day conversation, she's no different then me.

Since I have learned about Asperger's, I realized that I exhibited quite a few symptons, so out of curiosity I took the quiz. I ended up taking it twice (last night and this morning) just to make sure I wasn't messing with the results somehow. I ended up getting 139/200 and 150/200 for Aspie traits, which doesn't really surprise me. Even so, I wouldn't bother and go out to try and get professional diagnostic whether I have it or not, because I manage all right as I am.

Edit: for clarification.

Edited by Rhee

Your Aspie score: 73 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 122 of 200

You are very likely neurotypical

Chartchart.

I knew the result, I just wanted a score. wink.gif I have issues with anxiety and the tendency to cling to certain people/environments, making change very hard on me. But I'm not autistic in any sense. I've only known one or two in my lifetime and treat them no different than anyone else. ^.=.^

Many autistic people don't need/want/like you to treat them any differently, apart from being understanding about the things they may need help with.

If anybody tried to talk to ME differently knowing I have autism to how they would if they didn't know, they may end up with a slap.

It depends on the person.

My father (observing his behaviour, I'm quite sure I inherited Asperger's from him) is the obnoxious kind. He probably doesn't realize that he's not entirely normal, because he will keep talking and talking and talking about the things he likes and thinks, he'll try to convince you to read the books/watch the movies/play the games he likes and talk about their qualities, and he'll ask you obnoxious questions (often regarding his racist views) in such a form that you can answer only with a yes or no, and if you don't say anything then he will make his own judgment from that - and he will play the same gimmicks on you for years (talk about repetitive behaviour?) and throw tantrums if you don't play along.

I know that I used to talk about the things I like a lot when I was younger, but at some point I noticed that it annoys other people and, well, I try to be a good conversation partner, and it seems to work better and better over the years, though I still sometimes pull off something that's interpreted as blatantly impolite from time to time, since I lack natural aptitude for empathy and the like. Or sometimes I still get overexcited in that particularly obsessive way. But I do try. :T

Edited by lightbird

My 67-year old father is almost certainly on this spectrum somewhere, and it always made life quite interesting. He was never diagnosed of course, because there pretty much wasn't even any such thing as Aspergers until he was already almost a senior citizen and at that point who really cares. Everyone always just thought he was an absolute nutter, which was fine by him. Knowing what I know about AS people really sheds some light on his strangeness, and knowing what I know about my father helps me to understand and communicate better with AS people.

In particular, my boyfriend's brother is on the scale, even further towards the autism end than my father is, and his whole family is surprised how well I can have casual conversations with him, when nobody else seems able to engage him -and I just tell them all that there isn't a thing wrong with him, he's just strange. If people just treated him like a normal but admittedly strange boy, I think he'd have a much more normal life.

Anyway, both of them are clever and inventive and have fabulous senses of humour and really interesting ideas, if you pay attention and don't get weirded out by them. I even suspect my BF might have a bit of the same oddness, and that's part of why I like him so well. I think it's a little bit sad that being different has been turned into a disorder. : /

I have Aspergus too. I make good grades at school, but sometimes I forget what I'm suppose to be doing like turning homework on time, studying & doing projects, and in the end I either do them at the last minute or finish them late. Sometimes I don't pay attention to what some people say, because most of the time I'm daydreaming, which I usually do when I'm bored or just don't care. And when I don't pay attention, it usually gets me in trouble with my mom. I make a few friends, but I hardly ever talk to them, because I'm asocial and withdrawn from the people around me. I just spend most of my time on the internet, which is one of the things I'm most closest to. I'm always usually on the forums for two things, roleplaying and trading. I hardly ever go to the 'General Discussion' boards or any other place, because I like to keep to myself.

I'll try not to rant on how this "diagnosis" has ruined my life totally. I got diagnosed when I was really young because mom wanted to spite me and the teachers wanted a label just so they didn't have to bother with me. It's funny because my mom behaves worse than I do and so does my grandma, yet they never had anything done...if you're lucky, you will move with society and not against it. This is year 20 that I've been trying to do that.

I've never been diagnosed offcially, but I've taken tests online and reading books and such I know that I'm a bit Aspie. My younger brother is 7 and has POD-NOS and is definatly Aspie..

Aspies is the world Unite today! Wait, I moment I need to rearrange my pens and pencils first, they're not in the right order...

Oh God you guys have no idea how much the phone lines being down at home have stressed me out today.

Spending time online (mostly here) is part of my routine. First thing in the morning, and when I get home. And we have no phone, no internet, nothing. All my routines have been disrupted, and I wasn't exactly unstressed to start with. So I've gone into total stress mode. I had to run out to someone else house to use their internet (hence posting this) in order to try and vaugely calm myself down.

Not good. Aspiness not fun!

I either have high-functioning Asperger's or just really bad with people. I'm rather pedantic, have an urge to correct people, am incredibly knowledgeable in random things like horror movies I've never seen and Internet memes, and I don't really behave properly - I talk too loudly and make flailing motions with my hands. I haven't been tested; my parents don't believe that I have anything wrong with me other than a lack of willpower.

Your Aspie score: 144 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 80 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie

Yes, i knew that already.

Got my diagnoses at: ADHD+ADD age 15, Aspie age 19.

I've copied so much gestures/actions/interactions from 'normal' people, that i appear normal at first sight. But my Asp will surely show up when i don't have an 'how-to-(re)act-example' or 'previously saved action plan'.

It also shows when: i'm in a safe place, having (too much) fun, busy with my special interests, or when i'm really stressed/tiered.

My ADHD+ADD makes my Asp to appear more often; daydreaming, not waiting for my turn, hurting myself by falling/bumping, and being distracted easily.

I have two friends with Aspbergers.

Ashley a 19 yearold male. can shift between being cold and uncaring to the most caring person i know. He is quick to judge and has a general distaste for all other humans except his closest friends. throughout school he had violent tendancies (still does but better controlled) and often caused trouble because he thought people were judging/insulting him or his friends (naturally sometimes true)

he can be VERY creepy at times and relentless. if he wants it he will not let it go. and Ash is obsessed with flying planes.

Janine 19 yearold female: Very loud and will talk to any person on the street. naive acting and talking much much younger than her age. unlike Ash who turns violent and angry when hurt Janine has hysterics. Teased horribly throughout school and kept a small group of friends. even with her friends she hung on the edge not really taking part in convo even when people tried to include. she is overly self aware and knows that she isn't the same as everyone else and hates it. unfortunately her parents don't believe in aspberges and refuse to get her help.

the things these two have in common: Love animals and will not do them harm (though ash admits he will hunt) both misinterpret things often and if your their friend they are the kindest people around

Edited by Keriel

Your Aspie score: 129 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 81 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie

Chart.

Hm.

I've never been tested, but after reading some of the things people posted, I was interested to see what I'd get from this quiz:

Your Aspie score: 108 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 110 of 200

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Chart

Your Aspie score: 100 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 137 of 200

You are very likely neurotypical

Figures. I'm pretty... typical xd.png My cousin on the other hand is severely impacted by his Asperger's. He would be off the charts on this test, I assure you.

*edit* yeah, I hang out with my cousin (12) alllll the time, so I answered the outward questions as best as I could and just put a ? in the ones that required knowledge of thought process, his aspie score was 176/200, neurotypical was 33/200. Something to consider, his mannerisms did improve when he started taking a vitamin D supplement, turns out he had a vitamin D deficiency... He used to be OCD about ONLY eating on these square red plates. The day after his mom put him on the supplement, she went to get him a plate and he was like, "no no, that's fine! Thank you!" and went a grabbed a paper plate. It was like... whoa. Not only did he not take his usual plate, he said thank you. Which never happens. it was a huge step for him really tongue.gif so that was pretty awesome overall.

Edited by philpot123

I get reasonably lopsided results on such tests. High geeky levels for sure.

150 of 200 'pon the one, 50 of 200 'pon the other. Spiderweb if anyone cares to look.

Never been diagnosed, just strongly suspected that I am somewhere in the ultra-violet of the spectrum ever since my nephew was diagnosed autistic.

I happen to have Asperger's and was surprised when I saw this topic when it appeared. I was diagnosed when I was 14 after my cat died.

There were many fights between my parents and I. One in particular was worse than most. My dad wanted me to eat when they did but I wasn't hungry. He took me to the stairs and I almost fell down. My mom insists that he didn't try to push me down.

I went to various people for therapy. Most people thought I had behavior issues. One of the doctors I went to figured it was Asperger's. We did some reading and everything started to make sense. I wouldn't make eye contact and I hate to be touched. But I was still depressed from my cat's death. I tried to run away a couple times. I was hospitalized for eight days after that. They also found some medication that helped.

When they tested me for Asperger's they found out that I am very visual. I can see objects in my head. I like finding out how things work. Unlike most people I like reading textbooks. I have some biology, psychology, biochemistry and some others that I read in my free time. I know I am different from other people because my aunt was found to have a cancerous brain tumor and everyone was concerned. Except me of course. I didn't feel anything when I heard. I was wondering why everyone else was sad about it. I still don't feel anything for other people. I don't like large crowds either. There are other things that show my autistic side. I am not very good at writing so I will talk about one thing an come back to it later in the middle of some thing completely unrelated. xd.png