TikindiDragon

Autism/Aspergers

Wait, what? Seriously? "Fashionable?" WTF. Who on earth would *want* to be so...inept feeling, especially in the social realm? Who would ever *want* to feel like they're not quite human because their emotions are so different to even nonexistent? Seriously. WTF.

Autism is NOT a mental disease. It is a developmental disorder. Sorry Qwackie, but that is a pet hate of mine.

^ This.

Wait, what? Seriously? "Fashionable?" WTF. Who on earth would *want* to be so...inept feeling, especially in the social realm? Who would ever *want* to feel like they're not quite human because their emotions are so different to even nonexistent? Seriously. WTF.

I suspect the same people who pretty much fetishize depression and other such BS. People who have no bloody clue what they're talking about, who don't even have a superficial understanding of what they're trying to claim. dry.gif

It's to get attention. They think people will pity them, or that it sounds cool. sleep.gif

@chickenhound It's weird... people usually think I'm older than I am. But... I still like cartoons... and other kid things. I'm not afraid to be silly... even though I'm going to be a legal adult in 4 months. I guess in some ways I'm more mature than most of my peers at school, and less so in others? -shrug-

Edited by Kayota

I don't enjoy having Asperger's, I dislike the term "Aspie" since it is often used in a derogatory way. But I wouldn't want to change who I am without knowing what I would be like without it. I do weird hand motions a lot, unless I'm actually trying to stop it. It's typically subtle at school, since I've been mocked for it on many occasions. If people ask what I'm doing, but it a serious way like if they're curious, I'm fine with it.

Why would one want it?

So they can yell at people for hating the due to only their claim of disability, instead of what they're really hating them for; being a total ass who thinks it fashionable to be disabled.

I was diagnosed as a kid with Aspergers and ADHD and something else I can't remember. I was on meds for a long time, but I'm off meds now.

I don't mind being an Aspie, personally. I am who I am, and I don't want a "cure" or anything like that. I don't have symptoms as severe as other people do in some instances. But it does cause distress at times...

And some people want to have a 'problem' because it gives them an excuse to do whatever they want and they can claim people are being discriminatory. At least, that's what some of them think, even though that's total BS. :|

I typically hate social situation, because it's very hard for me to figure out what to do/say in them. I tend to just get really quite unless I'm with somebody I've known for long enough to be comfortable around/don't care about enough to care if they think I'm a freak. I think I do sort of okay in social situations now, though, but that's because I've had to work very hard at observing how others react to things and trying to memorize them to know what's appropriate and what isn't. I'm not great at it, but I can at least get by...

But that leads me to other problems and is a direct cause of distress for me at times... Sometimes I wonder if my 'emotions' are really there, or if they're just fabricated as a result of observing others thus I go through the motions of if I felt something when I really don't. I can't always tell if I'm actually feeling something or if I'm just faking it...

I think now I'm pretty good at pretending to be interested in other people's interests when they don't fall in with my own. Though sometimes I really am curious because it sounds like it could be something I'd like.

Aaaand... I think I wanted to say something else, but I can't really remember what I even started saying right now... Oops.

I'm not afraid to be silly... even though I'm going to be a legal adult in 4 months.

I was a legal adult about 6 or 7 years ago. I still like cartoons, using my imagination, and being "me". I'm not concerned about what other people think of me. To me I'm still that dumb kid I was all those years ago. I really hated it when people told me to grow up and start acting like an adult.

I remember a conversation with someone I used to work.He was impossible to talk to be cause he likes with"adult" things, like drinking, smoking, going to parties, and being promiscuous.

It that sense I guess I will never be an adult. I also still cannot ride a bike or tie my shoes properly and I think skipping is awesome.

*shurgs* I've been a legal adult for years now - and I still like to watch cartoons, play games and collect conkers. I've always stood by the saying "I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up".

That said... I know I couldn't handle living out on my own. There's too much stuff I simply can't do. Thank God for my partners, because honestly without him I'd never have been able to leave my parents. And given that they divorced the same year I moved out I have the feeling thikngs could have ended up very badly for me. He's been a lifesaver, literaly. I can work, I do bring in a pretty good income, but that on it's own often isn't enough, and people often can't understand when I tell them it's things like grocery shopping that I can't do on my own.

I spent rather a long time using drink to cope with social situations. It did work, but I wouldn't call it a good plan. It doesn't make you any less 'weird' (infact I suspect it made me more 'weird') it just makes you.... forget about it, and forget the worry. But that can lead to *needing* a drink before you face people, and that's an extremely unhealthy place to be. Thankfully I've got around it and kicked that habit now.

I'm at the place where I'm happy and comfortable with who I am. I actualy like the designation 'aspie', and I tend to tell people up front that I have Aspergers because it saves trouble in the future. I spent too many years not knowing why I couldn't 'fit'. Not understanding why it was that I, despite being very intelligent, couldn't seem to manage the way other people did. Now I know - and with that framework I've been able to work around most of the problems life has been throwing at me. Maybe I'd feel different if I'd been diagnosed at a young age, but having received the diagnosis as an adult it actualy almost came as a relief.

It's weird... people usually think I'm older than I am. But... I still like cartoons... and other kid things. I'm not afraid to be silly... even though I'm going to be a legal adult in 4 months. I guess in some ways I'm more mature than most of my peers at school, and less so in others? -shrug-

Um...I'm a legal adult and have been for almost two years and I still do almost everything that's considered "immature" in that realm. I love videogames; and movies--especially movies like Finding Nemo, Planet 51, and other well-made cartoons; and I play with my food (shh!). I think part of people seeing a person as mature is the very fact they can still have child-like activities and not feel ashamed for it.

I'm short for my age, so people always think I'm a couple years younger than I really am. Before they get to know me. After they do, they always say I'm older than I really am.

I don't want to grow up. I want to stay a little kid forever.

So as not to be so off-topic...

I don't have Autism or Aspergers, but my sister has Aspergers. Really, it's not that bad for her. She's a little bit awkward around certain social situations, but all in all, she's pretty normal.

If you didn't know she was an Aspie, you'd just think she was anti-social.

Edit: Took the Aspie quiz, just to see where I'd score.

Your Aspie score: 101 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 114 of 200

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

user posted image

Edited by .Aeternitas

"Everybody grows old, but growing up is optional"

And on that both positive and appropriate note, I want to introduce myself to the thread smile.gif

Hi.

I'm 16 now, (only just) and I got my diagnosis when I was.... Somewhere between 8 and 10, I think. I'm one of the only people in.... At least my county, but I think it's the whole of Britain, who received a diagnosis for ASD AND Dispraxia. Not long after that, the rules were changed so you could only get one. It isn't very bad or prominent though, so I tend to forget about it a lot.

Anyway, i took the little quiz thing and got this:

Your Aspie score: 70 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 137 of 200

You are very likely neurotypical

I am not sure that the quiz is very reliable.

For anyone interested, the questions I identified with the most were:

Obscure Facial expressions (i think this is a positive trait)

Fashion (don't get me started on my fashion rant...)

Annoyed when people Walk behind me

Long lasting revenge (just the other day, I was plotting revenge on a teacher who was particularly non-understanding about something to do with my brother -who has a diagnosis for aspergers- when I realised that actually, that was over six years ago...)

Annoyance when somebody interrupts an activity particulArly important to you

Dislike of Team sports (they need to go die in a bush, please ^.^)

Anyway, that's me smile.gif

Edited by dracocharky

"Everybody grows old, but growing up is optional"

And on that both positive and appropriate note, I want to introduce myself to the thread smile.gif

Hi.

I'm 16 now, (only just) and I got my diagnosis when I was.... Somewhere between 8 and 10, I think. I'm one of the only people in.... At least my county, but I think it's the whole of Britain, who received a diagnosis for ASD AND Dispraxia. Not long after that, the rules were changed so you could only get one. It isn't very bad or prominent though, so I tend to forget about it a lot.

Anyway, i took the little quiz thing and got this:

Your Aspie score: 70 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 137 of 200

For anyone interested, the questions I identified with the most were:

Obscure Facial expressions (i think this is a positive trait)

Fashion (don't get me started on my fashion rant...)

Annoyed when people Walk behind me

Long lasting revenge (just the other day, I was plotting revenge on a teacher who was particularly non-understanding about something to do with my brother -who has a diagnosis for mergers- when I realised that actually, that was over six years ago...)

Annoyance when somebody interrupts an activity particulArly important to you

Dislike of Team sports (they need to go die in a bush, please ^.^)

Anyway, that's me smile.gif

*Coughs* Educational Psychologist here in the UK speaking.

I can assure you that dual Aspergers and Dyspraxia diagnosis do still happen in the UK. I am part of the multidisciplinary team which assesses the under 18's for such conditions.

It might be the case that in your particular local authority/health authority, they don't give a dsypraxia dx unless there is no other co-morbid condition, but that is not the case for the entire UK.

Some areas, and mine is one which is currently considering going down this route, are not giving separate Aspergers and Autism dx's. Instead they are giving a general ASD dx. This is because typically an Aspergers dx gets little or no help unless there is co-morbid mental health issues or behavioural issues and then only when parents shout loud enough. Autism typically gets what little help there is.

*Coughs* Educational Psychologist here in the UK speaking.

I can assure you that dual Aspergers and Dyspraxia diagnosis do still happen in the UK. I am part of the multidisciplinary team which assesses the under 18's for such conditions.

It might be the case that in your particular local authority/health authority, they don't give a dsypraxia dx unless there is no other co-morbid condition, but that is not the case for the entire UK.

Some areas, and mine is one which is currently considering going down this route, are not giving separate Aspergers and Autism dx's. Instead they are giving a general ASD dx. This is because typically an Aspergers dx gets little or no help unless there is co-morbid mental health issues or behavioural issues and then only when parents shout loud enough. Autism typically gets what little help there is.

Well, that was what my mam told me, anyway. Evidently Ive just spent a while being misinformed... >.<

Well, that was what my mam told me, anyway. Evidently Ive just spent a while being misinformed... >.<

That might be the case in your area. Or it might be that you have to really push for a diagnosis of dyspraxia. All too often it is the ones who shout loudest who get the attention. As awful as that is all services are incredibly stretched and it is only going to get worse.

That might be the case in your area.  Or it might be that you have to really push for a diagnosis of dyspraxia.  All too often it is the ones who shout loudest who get the attention.  As awful as that is all services are incredibly stretched and it is only going to get worse.

I suppose. It doesn't really matter, its what I have at the end of the day and I'm not bothered enough by it to do any research.

This makes me sound lazy.

Probably because I am xd.png

Edit: spellchecko. Like typos but for spellcheck. My new phone isn't used to my typo habits yet...

Edited by dracocharky

General consensus from most of the Aspergers/Autism forums I'm on is that it is pretty reliable. I'm not saying it's infallible, but the majoity of people I know with a diagnosis score pretty highly. I think my last score was around the 180 Aspie score. And, yes, I am diagnosed aspergers.

General consensus from most of the Aspergers/Autism forums I'm on is that it is pretty reliable. I'm not saying it's infallible, but the majoity of people I know with a diagnosis score pretty highly. I think my last score was around the 180 Aspie score. And, yes, I am diagnosed aspergers.

Ah well, it appears I'm just an anomaly xd.png

Ah well, it appears I'm just an anomaly xd.png

Always can happen wink.gif Actualy past experience has show that some people answer from the point of view of having all their learned coping strategies in place (which obviously lowers the scores) rather than from the point of view of their natural instincts.

How long did your DX take? Can you remember? I'm vaugely interested to know if mine took as long as it did because I'm adult, or if it was just the normal process.

Always can happen wink.gif Actualy past experience has show that some people answer from the point of view of having all their learned coping strategies in place (which obviously lowers the scores) rather than from the point of view of their natural instincts.

How long did your DX take? Can you remember? I'm vaugely interested to know if mine took as long as it did because I'm adult, or if it was just the normal process.

DX? Sorry, I don't speak autism lingo... If you mean diagnosis, I really don't remember, sorry- It was that long ago...

Hey... I don't have Asperger's but I do have NLD.... anyone have any good pointers for lsomeon with an Aspie like brain learning to drive the car... which is proving to be something of a headache.

http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=72&...9&p11=29&p12=38

Can anyone explain what this quiz chart means? I am a little puzzled by it to be honest.

Edited by LeopardDragon

Hey... I don't have Asperger's but I do have NLD.... anyone have any good pointers for lsomeon with an Aspie like brain learning to drive the car... which is proving to be something of a headache.

http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=72&...9&p11=29&p12=38

Can anyone explain what this quiz chart means? I am a little puzzled by it to be honest.

Learn in an automatic! Honestly, if not for automatic gearboxes, I would not be driving. Way too much to think about.

I've never actually seen that quiz before, I can only assume it involves highlighting various aspects of the psyche.

Your Aspie score: 126 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 78 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie

http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1=51&...7&p11=44&p12=57

I don't know exactly what this means, but... :/ I'unno, I've suspected that I may be Aspie since hearing about it, but I'm worried that people may not believe me... :/

One of the questions, though, was about not liking being hugged unless you're prepared/have asked for it, and I've always felt that way, which I thought was a bit odd for the longest time. People love hugging me, but I hate being hugged unless I've initiated it... :/

I was professionally diagnosed with Asperger's, and am unhappy about it. Why am I unhappy? Mostly because of the reputation it's gained on the internet due to idiotic jerks who read the Wikipedia article on it and then go around being stupid and throwing it out as an excuse. That, and the name of it sucks.

It does have perks, though. My school's special needs counselor is the best school counselor ever and I go hang out with her during break sometimes.

Your Aspie score: 55 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 141 of 200

I had no clue what neurotypical was until now.

Apparently I shy WAY on the side of neurotypical on the chart.

I now know I'm normal.

Yay?

Chart thingie

Am I the only one who thinks this chart looks like it was plagiarized from rainbow brite's spiderweb?

Edited by Pink