TikindiDragon

Autism/Aspergers

Boys are always more extreme in their behaviour, ASD or not.

You ask any teacher who are the trouble causers in the class - he/she will point out half a dozen boys and maybe one girl.

Out of the kids on my case load with behavioural problems, 90% at least, will be boys.

I suppose that's true.

One of my brothers has Aspergers, and one of my others has Autism. My brother Luke who has Aspergers pretty much hates all social situations (he's home schooled and its for the better) he doesnt want friends, he says he has one friend thats good enough lol. He sees things his way and thats the only way, which makes him pretty funny. He also has terretz so its hard to distinguish the speech characteristics between aspergers and his terretz. Luke's very quiet though and hes not aggressive at all like some kids with aspergers. My brother with austism though is kind of difficult, he's a compulsive liar but hes also pretty funny at time. Hes kinda rebellious, and he has the so called oppositional defiance disorder (I dont believe it exists) I just call it being a brat lol.

Pokes nose into thread. Hey to all! I wonder has anyone on here heard of Nonverbal Learning Disorder? I guess it is something rather like Asperger's.

Pokes nose into thread. Hey to all! I wonder has anyone on here heard of Nonverbal Learning Disorder? I guess it is something rather like Asperger's.

*puts psychologist hat on*

Yes. And yes.

There is debate whether NVLD is actually Aspergers + Dyspraxia.

*takes off psychologist hat*

graph

"Your Aspie score: 134 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 74 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie"

So...took the quiz and I'm, still confused about this. I will have to read into this.

Edit: put that "m" in there. Also, Roommate has a friend who was diagnosed, but they helped each other through some things and I think (after meeting him) that he is doing better off now. Then again I never met him when he was first diagnosed, so I can't compare..

I don't think I have Aspergers at all, I did answer many of the questions with a definite "yes" . I just think they're "quirks" in my case, though it's difficult living and working with some of those "quirks".

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

@Tikindi - I meant more like the 12 year olds who are doing it to be cool, I understand if it's an -adult- who says that sort of thing. It just seems to be a bit of an internet fad right now with preteens and younger teens.

How would a mental disease be a fad? What moron would want that? I'm a preteen, what is this madness?

How would a mental disease be a fad? What moron would want that? I'm a preteen, what is this madness?

Eh, I think it's often just a case of wanting to be different, special, perhaps with a touch of the victim, something to blame problems on - "Oh, see I can't help it if I act like this."

(Note, I do not think that this is the case for all who have Autism/Aspergers, or think they do, with or without official diagnosis - just that it seems to be the case with the fad illnesses/disorders.)

Autism is NOT a mental disease. It is a developmental disorder. Sorry Qwackie, but that is a pet hate of mine.

Autism is NOT a mental disease. It is a developmental disorder. Sorry Qwackie, but that is a pet hate of mine.

This. So much.

Anyone else watch the Night of Too Many Stars earlier? Just pure awesomeness, and it made me happy to know so many people were contributing to the cause.

-K-

143/200 "You are very likely an Aspie"

I guess I'm not surprised. I've always gotten comments (and harassed) for being "the weirdo" when I was in school, and I've always had lots of trouble figuring out how to respond properly in social situations. I remember my mother literally going over with me how to act and what to say in different situations- the type of things most people would simply "pick up" without needing to be told what was appropriate. I have plenty of other quirks too that have caused difficulties throughout my life.

I remember my mother literally going over with  me how to act and what to say in different situations- the type of things most people would simply "pick up" without needing to be told what was appropriate.  I have plenty of other quirks too that have caused difficulties throughout my life.

People still tell me this now...I never did understand what I was doing wrong. I just assumed people were too sensitive, or that I was insensitive.

After thinking about this last night, I realized I had many more "problems" growing up when I first thought. Ok, here we go:

First grade: I don't remember it.

Second grade: I don't remember anything except for being laughed at that because I had trouble with long division and other math....so I got held back. Not sure the exact reason, but it happened.

Second grade, part two: Family moved, new school. Father refused to let me go into the third grade, even though we had moved and it was completely ok. We moved next to someone else and I made friends with someone about two years younger than I was. In second grade again, I had no friends, was picked on randomly.

Third Grade: few friends. Struggled though class and had a difficult time paying attention. Attended a speech class because I had trouble pronouncing some letters. I was 10 at the time. I also get held back again for not being "mature" enough and not ready for the 4th grade.

Third Grade, part two: I focused on doing better in class. I had no friends and the ones I used to have now picked on me. Other children picked on me in my class. I was easily able to pass he class, despite having a nightmarish teacher. I started enjoying reading and read the books my brother checked out (he was in middle school at the time).

Fourth Grade:Finally here...I start making friends, but I'm still picked on. I struggle though some classes. I begin reading more. I was also enrolled in a "gifted" class, whatever that means.

Fifth Grade onward:All a blur, still struggled in some classes. Was also still picked on up into my senior year in high school. My grades also started improving until I got into high school...then they were bad again.

I struggled with math and homework that took 30 minutes for most of everyone to do, took me three hours. And I still made worse grades. American Government is one class I will always be terrible in. I excelled in some sciences, though I was terrible at some. I was only doing well in my classes my last two years in high school.

Being in college was easier. Since my father had told me I was going to fail because I couldn't pay attention, there was no pressure in trying to "impress" anymore. I was already considered a failure and an "embarrassment to the family", so I really couldn't go lower than that.

Ok, since I seem almost normal now, my question is, did I really have some developmental issues growing up, or was I just a dumb-as-bricks child?

I still have difficulty in math and government and I still can't pay attention well. One thing that I was above in all throughput grade school was knowledge about animals. I obsessively collected and stored anything about animals then.

I have Aspergers. I am very smart but have a problem with being social, so I go to a special school for people like me.

I have Aspergers. I am very smart but have a problem with being social, so I go to a special school for people like me.

One of my brothers has Aspberger's ... He is exactly like you!!

People still tell me this now...I never did understand what I was doing wrong. I just assumed people were too sensitive, or that I was insensitive.

So much this. Nowadays I just assume that people will react worse than they do. It's hard for me personally to find a good balance. I hide what I think often because I'm afraid of a friend being mad or something. I remember my sister commenting that I was a bit of a jerk to some guys. I still don't know what I was doing wrong - they weren't exactly nice to me either.

So much this. Nowadays I just assume that people will react worse than they do. It's hard for me personally to find a good balance. I hide what I think often because I'm afraid of a friend being mad or something. I remember my sister commenting that I was a bit of a jerk to some guys. I still don't know what I was doing wrong - they weren't exactly nice to me either.

I got that all throughout my life :/

My parents would tell me I'm not acting right in a situation, my brother and sister would tell me also and even tell me I was mean to their friends. I've had people in grade school tell me I was mean and even tell my friends I was mean to them. I don't see how I was being mean considering these people pretty much picked on me. I was probably also over defensive all the time because anyone who was not my friend that wanted to talk to me, obviously meant they were up to no good. I had my friends, but I made no new ones.

Even now people tell me it's the "tone of voice" I use. I now sometimes understand that I could act in a situation better, I just don't know how. That balance is fairly difficult for me to find too, especially early in life. It's either be very quiet about what you say, or don't say anything at all. People tell me I have a loud, harsh voice or something along the lines and I just tell them it was how I was raised. I can't come up with anything better and I assumed that was the reason.

I got that all throughout my life :/

My parents would tell me I'm not acting right in a situation, my brother and sister would tell me also and even tell me I was mean to their friends. I've had people in grade school tell me I was mean and even tell my friends I was mean to them. I don't see how I was being mean considering these people pretty much picked on me. I was probably also over defensive all the time because anyone who was not my friend that wanted to talk to me, obviously meant they were up to no good. I had my friends, but I made no new ones.

Even now people tell me it's the "tone of voice" I use. I now sometimes understand that I could act in a situation better, I just don't know how. That balance is fairly difficult for me to find too, especially early in life. It's either be very quiet about what you say, or don't say anything at all. People tell me I have a loud, harsh voice or something along the lines and I just tell them it was how I was raised. I can't come up with anything better and I assumed that was the reason.

I can relate to this so much. I still get complaints from my parents about how "rude" I'm being, and I've gotten in trouble for it a few times which only leaves me confused and angry. Might be the reason I have trouble with the parentals every now and then. It's honestly things like that that make me wonder if I deserved being picked on or if I actually started it and they were justified. A disturbing thought, to be sure.

Edited by War Pig Killer

I don't have any form of autism, but I have had a friend who had asperger's. I just want to say that there seems to be a huge difference between having aspergers and being a "normal" autistic person. From what I know someone with Asperger's actually focuses on certain things and will drive any conversation you have with them twords one of those subjects. Which, is part of the reason they can be socially awkward.

Also, as I said earlier, I don't have any form of autism. But, for almost all of elementry school I had no friends my own age. I was very defensive because I reacted poorly to cruel remarks. And most of the time just paced and thought during recess. So, having that sort of childhood isn't really restricted to people with autism. And to this day, I'm not a very sociable person, unless I'm with people I already know. I still get told that sometimes my tone of voice is wrong for situation, causing me to often seem mean when I'm not trying to.

I don't have any form of autism, but I have had a friend who had asperger's. I just want to say that there seems to be a huge difference between having aspergers and being a "normal" autistic person. From what I know someone with Asperger's actually focuses on certain things and will drive any conversation you have with them twords one of those subjects. Which, is part of the reason they can be socially awkward.

Also, as I said earlier, I don't have any form of autism. But, for almost all of elementry school I had no friends my own age. I was very defensive because I reacted poorly to cruel remarks. And most of the time just paced and thought during recess. So, having that sort of childhood isn't really restricted to people with autism. And to this day, I'm not a very sociable person, unless I'm with people I already know. I still get told that sometimes my tone of voice is wrong for situation, causing me to often seem mean when I'm not trying to.

We weren't saying "if you have these symptoms, you have autism." At least for me, I was just saying that I can strongly relate to what Wookieinmashoo was saying.

People with HFA will do that as well, just FYI. The only difference between HFA and Aspergers is a language delay. By the time the person is an adult there pretty much is no difference.

We weren't saying "if you have these symptoms, you have autism." At least for me, I was just saying that I can strongly relate to what Wookieinmashoo was saying.

Oh, I know, I was just trying to say that you aren't alone. And that even though I don't have Asperger's or another form of Autism I can relate. I'm sorry if that was hard to tell. My writing skills are far below my other skills. In fact, I hate writing. Mainly writing with pen or pencil is the problem, as opposed to typing. And I love painting on the other hand, so I end up with a minimalist writing style, but a perfectionist painting style. I suspect it has to do something with the fact that there are seperate areas in the brain for the activities. That, or it could be a negative association.

That reminds me about how until several years ago people would from time to time tell me that I talk only about a few topics, ones that really interest me, with no consideration towards the interests of others. This has improved simply because at some point I just started keeping track about what I say/how I act and whenever I feel the urge to direct a conversation in a direction that interests me, I just swallow it.

That reminds me about how until several years ago people would from time to time tell me that I talk only about a few topics, ones that really interest me, with no consideration towards the interests of others. This has improved simply because at some point I just started keeping track about what I say/how I act and whenever I feel the urge to direct a conversation in a direction that interests me, I just swallow it.

I haven't ever been told that, but I've noticed and acknowledged it in myself.

I haven't ever been told that, but I've noticed and acknowledged it in myself.

Well, I initially found out about Aspergers and started suspecting that I might be on the spectrum before I started to regularly frequent the internet/got to know that it's considered "fashionable" by some.

Mind you, when I was told about my way of talking, I never really paid attention to it, only started thinking about it after reading about one of the symptoms being a higher-than-normal pre-occupation with some interests and the urge to discuss them. As well as using fancy words.

Edited by lightbird

Well, I initially found out about Aspergers and started suspecting that I might be on the spectrum before I started to regularly frequent the internet/got to know that it's considered "fashionable" by some.

Mind you, when I was told about my way of talking, I never really paid attention to it, only started thinking about it after reading about one of the symptoms being a higher-than-normal pre-occupation with some interests and the urge to discuss them. As well as using fancy words.

As much as I hate to, I'm gonna have to toss in another "me too." People would tell me that they had no idea what I was saying when I was younger because I used words that they had never heard of or didn't know the definition of.

I'm not a poser, I swear. ^^;

I don't understand why ASDs are considered "fashionable," though. It's insulting to those who really DO have it and not to mention it's a difficult thing to have.

If you are saying a 13 year old with aspergers is acting around 7 years of age, then that is pretty much expected.

I can vouch for that too

i am in my 20s and when im on stream (L4d tF2 etc) or another live chat type place ppl don't believe me when i say im an adult because of my behavior

@Qwackie

being an aspie is not an illness its just like our brains work differntly kinda like your brain is computer runinng windows and an aspe brain is a linix or a mac you know?

Edit just to be clear i don't mean the windows as an insult to any one reading this its just windows is the most common operating system so it kinda makes sense normal ppl are windows

Edited by chickenhound