TikindiDragon

Autism/Aspergers

Random fact: Asperger's is more prevalent in males. I'm female-bodied, so people always seem really surprised if they know that fact and I tell them >>

The official rates are something like 10 to 1. But there is new research that suggests the rates of females with AS is much higher at around 4 to 1 (will link when I find it again). Personally I think it is higher than that and possibly equal between the sexes. Females are much harder to identify as they naturally have better social skills and are less likely to exhibit challenging behaviour. Of the boys that come onto my casebook who have female siblings I have yet to meet one of those siblings who isn't exhibiting the female presentation of AS themselves. However girls tend not to be picked up as they aren't the ones causing problems in classrooms etc.

However girls tend not to be picked up as they aren't the ones causing problems in classrooms etc.

Hence why I went through the school system unnoticed wink.gif

I'd be interested to see if there's any link between identifying as trans and autism in females. I'm beginning to wonder if it's more common in ASD poeple born female than it is in the general population.

Hence why I went through the school system unnoticed wink.gif

I'd be interested to see if there's any link between identifying as trans and autism in females. I'm beginning to wonder if it's more common in ASD poeple born female than it is in the general population.

I wouldn't be surprised, I'll have a look through the journals next week and see if I can find anything.

There is research that suggests a link with homosexuality in AS females. The whole male brained think makes sense really with that. However I suppose what puts a spanner into the works on the male brain hypothesis is that the rates of homosexuality are replicated in AS males too. If you are going with the extreme male brain hypothesis, surely homosexuality in AS males would be lower. So I think that it isn't that simple and something is else apart from the male brain theory is at work.

Your Aspie score: 46 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 151 of 200

You are very likely neurotypical

Well, that sounds like me. ^^;

When I was little, the doctors diagnosed me with ADHD (like every five year old in existence *sarcasm*) I was on ritalin for at least 6 years (great lot of good it did me-i still resent this)

I was only recently diagnosed with mild autism (I'm on the spectrum, just not enough to have a specific name for it)

My little brother is far worse off with ADHD and Aspergers. It makes my life a living hell dry.gif he steals everything in sight and completely flips out when he doesnt get his way (example: one time i made chocolate milk to slow for him)

besides that, i tend to avoid crowds,loud noises and I dont like to have physical contact at all.

There is research that suggests a link with homosexuality in AS females. The whole male brained think makes sense really with that. However I suppose what puts a spanner into the works on the male brain hypothesis is that the rates of homosexuality are replicated in AS males too. If you are going with the extreme male brain hypothesis, surely homosexuality in AS males would be lower. So I think that it isn't that simple and something is else apart from the male brain theory is at work.

I actualy suspect that's more to do with the fact that we don't pick up on societal conditioning quite as well, rather than being an extreme male-brain thing. I've always been of the personal opinion that sexuality is a lot more of a sliding scale than most poeple will admit - and it's the rules and training of society that force us into thinking/acting as if sexuality is a binary. With spectrumites less aware of those rules and subtle pressures they're more likely to go with it than someone that *thinks* he's straight, but still finds the odd man attractive.

I'm not sure if that was making much sense, but hey it's half six in the morining and I haven't had my coffee yet.

I actualy suspect that's more to do with the fact that we don't pick up on societal conditioning quite as well, rather than being an extreme male-brain thing. I've always been of the personal opinion that sexuality is a lot more of a sliding scale than most poeple will admit - and it's the rules and training of society that force us into thinking/acting as if sexuality is a binary. With spectrumites less aware of those rules and subtle pressures they're more likely to go with it than someone that *thinks* he's straight, but still finds the odd man attractive.

I'm not sure if that was making much sense, but hey it's half six in the morining and I haven't had my coffee yet.

*passes mug of coffee*

I think when we do pick up upon societal conditioning, we tend to see it as a very black and white thing too. But I guess that could be to do with the whole we don't see the shades of grey thing in between. Of the people on the spectrum I have met over the years there is a very high proportion of them (when compared to the NT population) who are at the very least bisexual. Some of those that are firmly heterosexual often have homophobic views which have been instilled in them by those around them.

*passes mug of coffee*

I think when we do pick up upon societal conditioning, we tend to see it as a very black and white thing too. But I guess that could be to do with the whole we don't see the shades of grey thing in between. Of the people on the spectrum I have met over the years there is a very high proportion of them (when compared to the NT population) who are at the very least bisexual. Some of those that are firmly heterosexual often have homophobic views which have been instilled in them by those around them.

Thanks for the cofee wink.gif I've needed it after the couple of days I've had at work.

Yeah, we don't do anything by half do we smile.gif I also can't help but wonder if the relatively high rates of homosexuality have something to do with being able to relate better to our own gender? Although that may just be me - I've spoken to a few aspie males who prefer exclusively female company.

The black and white understanding of things can make life quite interesting, it must be said. I've had a few social rules drummed into me over the years that I simply couldn't bring myself to break - despite now discovering thjat they make me rather old fashioned. Most people that know me in person tend to say I think like someone middle aged (I know one lady I used to work with liked to joke that I was a very well preserved 50 year old, and not in my 20's at all!). I think a lot of us tend to be like that, either one extreme or the other. We either have opinions that are very 'out there' or we're rather old-fashioned. Occasionaly we manage to be both! But never the middle of the road.

I took the quiz that someone put on here, and it turns out I possibly don't have aspergers after all.

That would have been me that posted the quiz. As I said, it's not diagnostic. But if you're not scoring in the 100's on the aspie side there's very little chance you're on the spectrum. Anxiety is something totaly seperate, and severe social anxiety can often seem like ASDs on the surface when infact it's totaly different.

Thanks for the cofee wink.gif I've needed it after the couple of days I've had at work.

Yeah, we don't do anything by half do we smile.gif I also can't help but wonder if the relatively high rates of homosexuality have something to do with being able to relate better to our own gender? Although that may just be me - I've spoken to a few aspie males who prefer exclusively female company.

The black and white understanding of things can make life quite interesting, it must be said. I've had a few social rules drummed into me over the years that I simply couldn't bring myself to break - despite now discovering thjat they make me rather old fashioned. Most people that know me in person tend to say I think like someone middle aged (I know one lady I used to work with liked to joke that I was a very well preserved 50 year old, and not in my 20's at all!). I think a lot of us tend to be like that, either one extreme or the other. We either have opinions that are very 'out there' or we're rather old-fashioned. Occasionaly we manage to be both! But never the middle of the road.

Yep, we don't make things easy on ourselves wacko.gif

Funny that, everyone says I am old fashioned, I probably am. I have very old fashioned values - though for me the old fashioned values make sense and are pretty logical. Makes life easier I suppose.

However girls tend not to be picked up as they aren't the ones causing problems in classrooms etc.

Well, um. I'm a girl here, rite?

Aaaaaand at the beginning of my puberty I was one of the class rebels. A slight delicvent. Even worse than boys. wink.gif

I still kind of am a delicvent. Maybe at a smaller scale, but if you would put me in a classroom with eight graders, and if the class would be utterly boring, you will see some sort of manifestation from me as I would stop paying attention. And I think I would push the whole class into a mess.

Is this another AS trait? Or ADHD?

Well, um. I'm a girl here, rite?

Aaaaaand at the beginning of my puberty I was one of the class rebels. A slight delicvent. Even worse than boys. wink.gif

I still kind of am a delicvent. Maybe at a smaller scale, but if you would put me in a classroom with eight graders, and if the class would be utterly boring, you will see some sort of manifestation from me as I would stop paying attention. And I think I would push the whole class into a mess.

Is this another AS trait? Or ADHD?

Hard to say, you might just be lacking boundaries. If it were organic in nature, then it would be more likely to be ADHD.

143 of 200. Oh, great. blink.gif

I have a mental disorder and the psychologist never noticed it.

143 of 200. Oh, great. blink.gif

I have a mental disorder and the psychologist never noticed it.

I repeat - that test is *not* a diagnosis. There are plenty of people in the world who might score quite well on that test who not only do not have a diagnosis but who will most likely never need or want one.

^Not to mention I am diagnosed and I scored lower than that on the test.

"I have to warn people that I might not be able to handle everything at once and might need one or two people I know to coax me out of the corner as the night goes on. It's a very slow process, but eventually I do get out there and usually meet at least one new person, when I do get out. "

Yeah, I have trouble actually talking to people/meeting people too. That's not really what I'm talking about - I mean like, I know this one kid with Asperger's who's 13 and acts like he's about 7 because his parents won't help him.

@Tikindi - I meant more like the 12 year olds who are doing it to be cool, I understand if it's an -adult- who says that sort of thing. It just seems to be a bit of an internet fad right now with preteens and younger teens.

Edited by Kayota

Hard to say, you might just be lacking boundaries. If it were organic in nature, then it would be more likely to be ADHD.

Mom just told me today that I used to be very tame and calm as a kid. So, not a ADHD case. wink.gif

^Not to mention I am diagnosed and I scored lower than that on the test.

"I have to warn people that I might not be able to handle everything at once and might need one or two people I know to coax me out of the corner as the night goes on. It's a very slow process, but eventually I do get out there and usually meet at least one new person, when I do get out. "

Yeah, I have trouble actually talking to people/meeting people too. That's not really what I'm talking about - I mean like, I know this one kid with Asperger's who's 13 and acts like he's about 7 because his parents won't help him.

@Tikindi - I meant more like the 12 year olds who are doing it to be cool, I understand if it's an -adult- who says that sort of thing. It just seems to be a bit of an internet fad right now with preteens and younger teens.

Oh my brother is like that (although he is on the autism spectrum instead of having aspergers). He acts three or four even though he is nine years old. Let me tell yah though, it ain't from lack of help from my parents. They are so overbearing on the poor kid. I mean, my mom came up with this crazy theory that somehow eating corn makes him more hyper and have one of his bad days and then she drilled into my little bro and now he'll freak out if he eats anything with corn in it.

Oh my brother is like that (although he is on the autism spectrum instead of having aspergers). He acts three or four even though he is nine years old. Let me tell yah though, it ain't from lack of help from my parents. They are so overbearing on the poor kid. I mean, my mom came up with this crazy theory that somehow eating corn makes him more hyper and have one of his bad days and then she drilled into my little bro and now he'll freak out if he eats anything with corn in it.

Aspergers IS on the autistic spectrum.

The autistic spectrum is a developmental DELAY.

If the kid were acting his age, then I would question on whether an ASD were causing the problems rather than something else.

Children with ASD's tend to 'act' between 1/3 and 2/3 of their chronological age.

@ Kayota

If you are saying a 13 year old with aspergers is acting around 7 years of age, then that is pretty much expected.

i am an aspie and proud of it tongue.gif

i was diagnosed way back in grade school

I may come off as semi-normal here on the internet but if any of you met me in person you would see my many qurks

@ Kayota

If you are saying a 13 year old with aspergers is acting around 7 years of age, then that is pretty much expected.

I guess... I wasn't like that when I was 13 o.O I was argumentative but I didn't go walk up to someone naked to get revenge on them. Even when I was 7. He was... really ridiculous. Really bad, he's never going to get anywhere in life. His parents never punished him for anything but they were always treating my girlfriend like crap. They spoiled him.

I guess... I wasn't like that when I was 13 o.O I was argumentative but I didn't go walk up to someone naked to get revenge on them. Even when I was 7. He was... really ridiculous. Really bad, he's never going to get anywhere in life. His parents never punished him for anything but they were always treating my girlfriend like crap. They spoiled him.

Boys are always more extreme in their behaviour, ASD or not.

You ask any teacher who are the trouble causers in the class - he/she will point out half a dozen boys and maybe one girl.

Out of the kids on my case load with behavioural problems, 90% at least, will be boys.

As I said on the Gay Right's thread, I have mild-tp-medium Asperger's and maybe even borderline depression- or so my Mum says. I was diagnosed when I was seven, which was a real help; until then, all my teachers just thought I was bad.

I hate crowds, loud noises, and the touch of wool- I suppose I'm hypersensitive. People touching me is bad and it hurts.

mom seems to think my aspergers is mild as well. i don't know about touches hurting, except for just before i get sick and my skin gets hypersensitive. but i can't stand being touched, i feel like i have bugs crawling on me or i can still feel the imprint where i was touched minutes later. i can't even give a person a high-five. i'm okay most of the time when my mom touches me, but sometimes i about fly out of my skin. i think you were diagnosed sooner than me but i was misdiagnosed with adhd until i was in the 4-5th grade.

I took the quiz-

Your Aspie score: 183 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 22 of 200

You are very likely an Aspie

It's about what I expected. Well, okay- I wasn't expecting it to be that slanted to one side, but I've suspected that I'm an Aspie for quite some time. My grandma told me that it had been suspected when I was younger, but I've never been formally diagnosed.