Bee Teno

Aliens and UFOs

Something to consider, even *IF* there are intelligent, humanoid life forms in the universe capable of space travel (I personally don't believe that), the stereotypical, Independence Day, OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE idea is rather ridiculous. Even assuming the speed of light could be reached it would take decades if not centuries for aliens to reach us, assuming best case scenario. What purpose would there be for an expedition of that magnitude just to be all "well, looks like we're gonna wipe you out now. Bye." That's just my take on it xd.png I don't believe any of it anyways, so feel free to tear apart my opinions ^.^

Something to consider, even *IF* there are intelligent, humanoid life forms in the universe capable of space travel (I personally don't believe that), the stereotypical, Independence Day, OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE idea is rather ridiculous. Even assuming the speed of light could be reached it would take decades if not centuries for aliens to reach us, assuming best case scenario. What purpose would there be for an expedition of that magnitude just to be all "well, looks like we're gonna wipe you out now. Bye." That's just my take on it xd.png I don't believe any of it anyways, so feel free to tear apart my opinions ^.^

If aliens wanted to wipe us out, we would never know what actually killed us. They'd simply plant a bio bomb and let that spread and kill us. Then they inocculate themselves, and colonize the planet after we're dead. They get to salvage all the stuff we've already mined, and potentially have an infrastructure for colonization in place.

If aliens wanted to wipe us out, we would never know what actually killed us. They'd simply plant a bio bomb and let that spread and kill us. Then they inocculate themselves, and colonize the planet after we're dead. They get to salvage all the stuff we've already mined, and potentially have an infrastructure for colonization in place.

Maybe this is how humanity came about....

Edited by padfoot

A very difficult topic for me, actually... I honestly don't know what to believe. The odds that there are other forms of life fascinates me, but also bewilders me. It's hard to think that humans might not be the only ones out here. There are so many galaxies and so many planets. Who knows what each planet possess. On the other hand, if there was other life, how would it survive without the things humans need? Sun, water, food? Perhaps other life forms might not need that... however, I'm not certain. I don't know what to believe. If there IS other life, what would it look like? In movies with aliens, I think the creators actually fail when it comes to the uniqueness of the aliens. Well, in the movies that I've seen exleast... Like Avatar, for example! Na'vi's were a lot like humans. 2 eyes, 2 hands/arm, 2 ears, 1 mouth, 1 nose, 2 feet/legs, ect. The only different thing about it was that they were blue and had zebra stripes. Everything else was pretty much human-like! If there are other life forms, who's to say they would look like humans? Wouldn't they be completely different? Anyway, I'm not sure what to believe when it comes to aliens or UFO's.

Edited by Rainbowsh

The way I see it that convenses me that there is life out there blew my own mind and I thought of it. The five most common elements in the universe are, and correct me if I'm wrong, carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, helium, and nitrogen (not in order). Us, animals, and every other living thing on earth are made of those elements (subtract helium). What this means to me is that thw creation of life was fairly common during the big bang. If humans were made of a rare isotope of some radioactive element then I would beleve that we are alone in the universe, but we are not. We consist of 4 of the 5 most common elements of the universe, which when I look up at the stars at night, gives me a sence of belonging as well as a sence of insignificance.

So yes, I beleve there is not only other life in the universe, but also intelligent life.

Any questions? smile.gif

Yes, I firmly believe in the existence of extraterrestrials, and I am not ashamed or embarrassed to admit it. Think of all those galaxies out there, made up of billions and billions of stars. There is no way you can make me believe that God made all of that and this is the only planet that has sentient lifeforms on it.

Has anybody ever thought about one of the premises of an Isaac Asimov short story: that we're simply a culture, similar to our cultures of bacteria, being studied and manipulated? It's a very interesting short story, and kind of takes the idea of a different intelligent life form and puts a different perspective on it.

I totally believe in alien life out there. Whether it's intelligent life or not is beyond me, but I think it would be pretty dumb for somebody to think that life could come into existence on our planet but none of the other ones out there. There may very well be other planets out there with the correct recipe for life.

Of course, whether this would be life anything like ours or if it would even match what life has been defined as by scientists is beyond what we know at the moment. It's still interesting to think about, though. rolleyes.gif

I believe there's other forms out there but I'd like to ponder; what if we really were the only planet with life on it in the universe? Could we live with such a burden? I bet we'd darn well take care of the planet then, huh. I guess it would be hard to prove such a fact but it's interesting to think about.

They are totally real i think we might be the only advanced life but maybe not, i like the ide that they might not need water. There might be aliens that look like dragons smile.gif

-Elidragon

//PLEASE_READ_THE_RULES_BEFORE_ATTEMPTING_TO_POST_YOUR_EGGS

Plz click on these Dragons rule!!!!!

~Eggspam Removed~

Edited by _Z_

intelligent? mabye. but there are solar systems similar to ours, and so many galaxies we probably don't know about. there has to something out there living. earth can't be the only planet with living beings on it.

Ah but I do understand the size of a googleplex. 100 zeros. In an ever expanding universe theory, there is way too many planets for human kind to understand.

A googleplex is splelt like this:googolplex.It also actualy has a googol zeros....

example:

googol= 1 with 100 zeros.

googolplex= 1 with a google zeros.

Sheesh...

There isnt even enough atoms to represent a googolplex..

Edited by creepado

This is one pet peeve of mine:

Why are UFOs always associated with aliens?

UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object. Just that. An object in the sky that can't be identified, whether it's something trivial or not. Nothing associated with aliens.

Point out of the way, yes, I believe there are other life forms out there. It would be ridiculous to say there aren't any, but I do doubt they are as advanced with technology as much or more than us. Most likely they'd be bacteria or more advanced forms of life like Earth's animals. Even if they were super advanced in technology, I do not think that they can travel millions of light years across space in a few minutes. I mean, seriously.

I am a believer in "We are NOT alone." A friendly , non-aggressive alien race I'd like to meet. No thanks, to aggressive warlike ones. I do believe in other races having developed in the universe. It's hard to believe we could be the only sentient race. All of the science fiction writers like Andre Norton, Isaac Asimov, and David Weber can't be wrong.

I may have been born to soon to see it, but we will meet others some day.

I certainly believe in aliens. The basic components of Earth's life are everywhere, and even if such life barely resemble our own, the thought that in such vastness only one planet could bear life is just silly. I still doubt that we'll ever come across it, however.

I don't really understand people who believe that we're on the only planet that can support life. First of all, as everyone else said, space is damn huge. And second, even on Earth, there's life that can survive in vastly different places - heck, some deep sea ecosystems don't rely on sunlight at all. A planet doesn't even have to be similar to us to possibly support life. Distance does kind of prevent us from communicating effectively though.

And if we are somehow alone... Then, well, imagine you live in a giant mansion with millions of rooms and you haven't seen anyone else in it. If you manage to confirm that you're the only person there, then...okay I can't speak for anyone else, but to me that means you can run around and break as many things as you want. Sounds just as awesome as finding someone to talk to.

Well, I once saw 5 UFOs flying. My sister called me so I ran quickly because I thought it was an emergency, and we saw 5 red-orange balls floating and moving, like they were tied to something, and then each of them got out of their formation one by one and then disappeared .-.

I have always believed in aliens even before that.

Someone once said something along the lines of, "There are three types of life in the universe: life as we know it, life as we don't know it, and life as we can't even imagine it." Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me find the precise quote, or who said it, but I firmly believe it to be true.

As others have said, the universe is a vast place, so the likelihood that Earth is the only planet with life seems highly implausible. In fact, I can’t help but wonder if some of the extrasolar planets that have been discovered but ruled out as being life sustaining, might actually have either of the other two types of life. Are we missing out on the discovery of the millennia because human arrogance says, “since we can’t live there, nothing could live there”? I hope not, but I feel that it is possible.

As for how advanced other life might be… Well, the universe is also incredibly old, but it isn’t static. While one solar system is forming, another is at the height of its existence, and another is in its death throes. Thus, I believe that life in the universe runs the gamut from primordial soup to far more advanced than humans. I also don’t think the age of a planet would be the only factor in how advanced a civilization would be, but rather how well their resources are used. As such, there could be a civilization out there that is roughly the same age as us, but more technologically advanced.

As for whether or not any of said life has visited Earth… I won’t say yes or no, but rather that I am unconvinced. Like others have said, I don’t see why a race that advanced would bother with hiding, but they could have their reasons. However, having said that, I don’t believe that interstellar travel is impossible. Sure, science says that it is impossible, and there are no shortage of theories, and formulas, and research to support that claim, but is human arrogance, once again, threatening to hold us back? After all, not that long ago, science said that black holes could not exist, and yet now we know that they do. Is it possible that what today’s science says is impossible, may later be proven possible? I don’t see why not.

Edited by starphyre77

I saw some... things, once. Can't say for sure that they were aliens, but they were weird, whatever they were. It was an overcast day, maybe two or three in the afternoon, and I was driving home after doing some grocery shopping. As I was driving, I looked out on the horizon and saw these two glowing things in the sky. They were sort of gray-white, like a fluorescent light, or like light reflecting off gray metal, except there wasn't any light to reflect off anything, because like I said, it was cloudy that day. They looked pretty big, and were wider at the bottom than the top, with flat sides and round tops, like a pair of big salt and pepper shakers. I have never been able to work out exactly what they were. I tried to keep an eye on them, but as I drove closer they dropped below the horizon and vanished.

I saw the supernatural thread, but UFOs didn't quite fit in that thread, so I came here to raise this thread from the dead. I'm sorry.

Anyways, I've had a couple of 'experiences' with UFOs, or at least something similar.

The first one happened many years ago, when I was at age 5 or something, at least I didn't go to school yet. My dad was driving me and my family back home from somewhere, and I happened to look out the window at the right time and saw a large, flying saucer-like object standing on a cliff. It looked very much like this, as it had all those lights (off at the time, though), the small dome and those leg-like things.

The another one is just something I saw from a longer distance. I was pretty young at that time as well, maybe on the fourth grade. I was just about to get in my dad's car when I looked at the sky and saw a round, saucer-like object ascending, while spinning fast. It also had some lights around it and it seemed to be oddly close to the ground (as if it had been on the ground and now going back wherever it came from), and it wasn't more than about a mile away from us.

I can't really be sure about those, since I have no idea what they were. biggrin.gif There could also be some natural explanation for them, but it's fun to believe they were UFOs for some reason.

I definitely believe in UFOs and aliens, I've seen some lights nobody could explain and I believe in the evidence. Could also be that I grew up on the X-Files tho

I've always believed in Aliens, but not that sure about ufos because extraterrestrial life can have their own forms of transportation, not necessarily something like our (ship, flying object). They might even be able to teleport for all we know.

I've always believed in Aliens, but not that sure about ufos because extraterrestrial life can have their own forms of transportation, not necessarily something like our (ship, flying object). They might even be able to teleport for all we know.

This is my opinion as well. I think that somewhere in the enormous universe, extraterrestrial life can exist. Maybe just in the form of microbes, but there is still a possibility. Now, UFOs I'm much less sure of. It seems like a lot of "evidence" can be explained away by people just wanting to believe in something. I doubt that extraterrestrial life has flown to earth in their flying saucers for the sake of abducting cows and probing humans.

Indeed. They would probably see our itchy trigger fingers and decide not to try anything.

... plus, all the TV shows with aliens... not a good impression, one would think.

If they can get all the way across the galaxy to us, I'm SURE they've got the technology to tap into our internet and see how we react to the thought of alien meeting. I'm sure they decided to stay away because of that. :/

Let's just say that I believe in UFOs, as in their literal definition, Unidentified Flying Object.

I don't believe that they've been here, why? Because we're just one of an infinite number of planets.

Humanity isn't special, a product of the laws of nature, if there's a planet even remotely similar to us it's likely that life has evolved, potentially intelligent life. Our Galaxy alone contains 200 billion stars. We've already found a potential goldilocks planet, and we've only seen something like 400 planets. Those odds are pretty good that there are more in our galaxy, let alone the potential billions of other galaxies. How can we think we're the only sentient creatures out there?

I so agree with this! :3 <3

Someone once said something along the lines of, "There are three types of life in the universe: life as we know it, life as we don't know it, and life as we can't even imagine it." Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me find the precise quote, or who said it, but I firmly believe it to be true.

As others have said, the universe is a vast place, so the likelihood that Earth is the only planet with life seems highly implausible. In fact, I can’t help but wonder if some of the extrasolar planets that have been discovered but ruled out as being life sustaining, might actually have either of the other two types of life. Are we missing out on the discovery of the millennia because human arrogance says, “since we can’t live there, nothing could live there”? I hope not, but I feel that it is possible.

As for how advanced other life might be… Well, the universe is also incredibly old, but it isn’t static. While one solar system is forming, another is at the height of its existence, and another is in its death throes. Thus, I believe that life in the universe runs the gamut from primordial soup to far more advanced than humans. I also don’t think the age of a planet would be the only factor in how advanced a civilization would be, but rather how well their resources are used. As such, there could be a civilization out there that is roughly the same age as us, but more technologically advanced.

As for whether or not any of said life has visited Earth… I won’t say yes or no, but rather that I am unconvinced. Like others have said, I don’t see why a race that advanced would bother with hiding, but they could have their reasons. However, having said that, I don’t believe that interstellar travel is impossible. Sure, science says that it is impossible, and there are no shortage of theories, and formulas, and research to support that claim, but is human arrogance, once again, threatening to hold us back? After all, not that long ago, science said that black holes could not exist, and yet now we know that they do. Is it possible that what today’s science says is impossible, may later be proven possible? I don’t see why not.

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL.

I know the scientists explain it away as saying "well we know for SURE these factors create life because they created us, so we can have the best chance of seeing if other life exists if all the factors are as close as possible to our factors for life." Even still, I would hope that they would not COMPLETELY discount other planets, moons, and even star systems themselves for the possibility of alien life. Hell even asteroids, comets, and dwarf planets too! The possibility is infinite. Hell there could even be space-beings that live in the space itself and live off the gas ejections from the stars and swim around in the "empty void" that we think of space. :3

My possible reasons for why they would've visited us and not made contact is what we do with animal populations we want to study. We capture some, analyze and weigh and measure them, tag them to be able to find again, sometimes even put things on them to see where they go, and release them again. Doesn't that sound rather similar to the so-called "grey" or "green" aliens abducting certain humans, probing and analyzing them, and then "releasing" them again to their homes without much contact? I just remember the funny scene of the Happy Feet movie, where the skua said he had been "abducted by aliens!" and the aliens... were humans! I'm SURE that any animal captured by the researchers, no matter how careful the researchers are being, would be extremely disoriented, confused, scared as all heck, and wondering why they can't move [tranquilizer dart] and alienated [pardon the pun] by humans who cannot speak the language they do and don't emote in the same way so the animals have little to no way of understanding us and what our intentions are and what we're saying! I'm SURE they have one heck of a story to share with the rest of their fellows every time they're released!

So why is it so hard to think of it as potentially that? Also we eat a lot of cows in America so the cow-abductions could be them trying to figure out why we like cows so much or something else. We do take samples of the foods that animals eat to figure out how it reacts with them and how prevalent and why they prefer it and how it interacts with the environment and etc.

We also don't maintain close contact with the animals once we've released them. We collect the data and go. I just laugh so hard at the thought of the gray aliens writing research papers and discussing with other greys and getting into heated arguments and debates about humankind and how we really function. xd.png Also we cannot really leave the Earth just yet, so we're the perfect "petri dish" experiment really.

At least that's what I think. :3 And I'm firmly of the viewpoint that the UFOs are just Unidentified Flying Objects, period. You don't know what it IS, so therefore it is a UFO. Doesn't have to be an alien spaceship or anything like that! Pshaw! -p- smile.gif

On another note, what do y'all think of crop circles? .-.

Edited by Sapphira_Majoram