Qwackie

Cats

I love kitties, my aunt had three

A calico, and two black cats

one was a stray who followed my cousin home on halloween (who was, coincidentally dressed as a black cat) the other was a wild mean cat who came into their house for food until she just... became their cat

and the calico was bought at a farm, but she's gone now... sad.gif

And of course my best friends cat Franky, who has hit over thirty pounds at this point and they have no idea how, they put him on a diet tied a bell to his collar and they took him to a doctor, but he doesn't have anything that could make him that fat! and they are not sure if he's getting fatter...

I really need some advice with my cat.

I somewhat recently got a new desk. This desk is rather large, so I intended to give some of its top space to my cat. I live at home with my parents and my bedroom is small, so my cat has never really had any furniture to call her own. So I was happy to give her some of her own space.

Now, as time has went on, she has taken over the desk. She has recently even started to knock my things off, including my laptop (which thankfully landed on my bed). I need advice on how to keep her from taking over my desk. College starts here soon, and I need my desk. It's stressful enough without having to fight off my cat.

Are there dividers or something out there that might function to keep my cat away from my stuff? I want her to still have her space on the desk, but I want to have my own space as well.

ETA: Just googled "desk dividers" and found a ton of options. Should've looked first, I guess. rolleyes.gif

Does anyone have any other suggestions other than dividers then?

Edited by Windnose

I really need some advice with my cat.

I somewhat recently got a new desk. This desk is rather large, so I intended to give some of its top space to my cat. I live at home with my parents and my bedroom is small, so my cat has never really had any furniture to call her own. So I was happy to give her some of her own space.

Now, as time has went on, she has taken over the desk. She has recently even started to knock my things off, including my laptop (which thankfully landed on my bed). I need advice on how to keep her from taking over my desk. College starts here soon, and I need my desk. It's stressful enough without having to fight off my cat.

Are there dividers or something out there that might function to keep my cat away from my stuff? I want her to still have her space on the desk, but I want to have my own space as well. 

ETA: Just googled "desk dividers" and found a ton of options. Should've looked first, I guess. rolleyes.gif

Does anyone have any other suggestions other than dividers then?

I haven't found anything that works. Nadine sprawls all over my computer bench when I'm using it, but fortunately it's large enough that there's room for her (but not always room to type at the same time smile.gif )

In Nadine's case, she's only interested in the desk when I'm using the computer, she wants to be close to me. If that's the case with your cat, maybe a box placed on the computer desk (if there's room) might be all you need. She could be close to you, have a place of her own, and won't be as likely to knock things off. Does she like boxes?

Nadine, with a sign that pretty much sums up her life in my home:

user posted image

Edited by casprrr

I've had more cats than I've had dogs and I've always liked them better than dogs. They are generally less noisy, a little cleaner, a bit more fun to pet and a little less slobbery. I hate getting licked by dogs because it always leave a wet sticky nasty feeling for me but I don't mind at all getting my hand or nose licked by a cat.

I seem to have the bad luck to always live in an area where cats are usually not very well liked because there are quite a few ferals, and I've had some of my own pets shot and even killed. Its been tragic really. I also have the misfortune in being in a severely low income family where even my income is crap and as such vet care is a pain. So that has been another heart ache in my life. Its difficult at this point in time to have any indoor cats because the dogs need potty time and my mom like to play the "I'm too blind and useless" card despite having semi okay vision and doesn't put in the effort to ensuring the cats wont get out of the house.

As is right now I'm struggling with one of my latest kitties called oliver. We took him in some time last year as a stray little month or two old kitten and where he has literally become king of the house he has also seemingly gotten sick. I think he has worms and on top of that he hasnt gotten his shots so Hes slowly starting to deteriorate. Its frustrating because I have started a go fund me to get friend and family and friends of theirs to hopefully help but no one shares it and well in a span of almost 6 months of having started the damn thing its been only share a tiny amount though I have received at least 3 generous donations.

I'm hoping to move out soon and once I have an established home elsewhere to bring in my pets and maybe try getting the cat accustomed to an indoor life because aside from oliver the only other pet I "own" would be my snake Luna. I would only take those two seeing as my other cat blacky would benefit from living here with my mom as would my senile old cat Precious.

Just adopted a kitten today, this is Echo:

user posted image

Edited by catstaff

I love cats. I'm allergic to them, unfortunately, but I wish I wasn't because I'd love to have a Maine Coon!

@catstaff, Echo is adorable! <3

@StormWizard212, I'm allergic, too - that is, I became allergic two years after I got my cats. dry.gif They are now my sister's cats. (I kept them for four more years, which was a bad idea since it gave me asthma. Everybody: don't keep cats when you're allergic. Just don't.)

My username is based on one of them. Although actually they both used to get rather confused whenever they encountered something unusual/scary, such as... their water bowl. tongue.gif

I'm living with a lovely kitty now, who technically isn't mine but he's accepted me as part of the household, haha. He's so ridiculously neurotic, he's actually more like a dog. He's very fluffy and cute, and he's a terror for scratching at the carpet on the stairs.

...the only bad part is he licks his nose so much that when he pokes me with it it's just about as bad as being licked by a dog. All slimy and cold, ugh!

@catstaff, Echo is adorable! <3

@StormWizard212, I'm allergic, too - that is, I became allergic two years after I got my cats.  dry.gif  They are now my sister's cats. (I kept them for four more years, which was a bad idea since it gave me asthma. Everybody: don't keep cats when you're allergic. Just don't.)

My username is based on one of them. Although actually they both used to get rather confused whenever they encountered something unusual/scary, such as... their water bowl.  tongue.gif

Same, Confused Cat, same. I had cats growing up until I was about 16 or so before I actually became allergic to them. I can tolerate cats if I take strong antihistamines every day, but I'd prefer not to have to be medicated just to live around them. It is quite tempting though. I've thought a lot about getting a Maine Coon and just dealing with the side effects or popping some pills, but I dunno. I have two dogs and I'm sure they'd love a playmate, but I just can't really justify it when I've already got enough fluffy to look after at the moment. tongue.gif

I can tolerate cats if I take strong antihistamines every day, but I'd prefer not to have to be medicated just to live around them. It is quite tempting though. I've thought a lot about getting a Maine Coon and just dealing with the side effects or popping some pills, but I dunno.

It's tempting indeed... Taking antihistamines every day was what I did, and it helped with the sneezing and runny nose.

Unfortunately it didn't prevent the problem from getting worse, and with time I noticed I started coughing whenever I laughed too hard, and one day I just had to accept something was not okay.

Now I'm taking medication without even having cats. rolleyes.gif

(Fortunately it's not super serious yet, but it's annoying. I'll stick to non-fluffy pets such as tortoises and pixel dragons. wink.gif )

I like cats, but we don't have any of our own, we have dogs instead.

However, we have some issues with the neighbors' cats strolling into our yard, killing birds (dad's an ornithologist so he doesn't like that at all), peeing and pooping in the barn and storage areas, and generally angering the dogs whenever the dogs spot them, leading to us receiving complaints from other neighbors about the noise.

My question to you cat owners is, is there any way to deter cats from coming into your yard? Without harming them of course.

It's tempting indeed... Taking antihistamines every day was what I did, and it helped with the sneezing and runny nose.

Unfortunately it didn't prevent the problem from getting worse, and with time I noticed I started coughing whenever I laughed too hard, and one day I just had to accept something was not okay.

Now I'm taking medication without even having cats. rolleyes.gif

(Fortunately it's not super serious yet, but it's annoying. I'll stick to non-fluffy pets such as tortoises and pixel dragons. wink.gif )

Oh really? :/ That sucks. Hmmm. Well I'll take that into consideration then. I really don't want to end up like that, even if it means I get a furry critter for a while. I've got a couple of dogs so I'm happy to stick to canines for the time being, I suppose. Sucks about you and cats, though! <3

@Ripan - We get a heap of neighbourhood cats roaming around our place at night, too. I'd be interested to hear if there's any way to deter them as well.

I've always had a weird thing for 3-legged cats. I saw a comic about how adult cats, especially those with disabilities, are extremely unlikely to be adopted and it softened my heart to disabled cats. Now it's a weird life goal/dream of mine to own a 3-legged cat.

user posted image

I have two! a giant black cat called Nar (it's short for Nyarlathotep, Lovecraft shout-out!) who thinks he's a dog, and just last weekend we adopted a giant orange cat named Chewbacca. he was named that at the shelter, I don't know why, but he's possibly the most laid-back cat I have ever met, and also a SERIOUS SNUGGLER. he'll crawl up into your lap, scoot up as high as he can, then curl around onto his back, wrap his arms around your neck and rub his chin on your face. Nar will always be my favorite, but I suspect Chewie is going to become Spouse's favorite, and be a great addition to our home. smile.gif

I have a beautiful half-Siamese named Zuko! We got him as a kitten, from a friend of my step-dad's (whose kinda-sorta pet cat that lived outside had a little of kittens under his trailer house). He's got the body build of a "normal" or "average" domestic cat, but the markings and eyes of a Siamese! Although his paws are spotted white and brown~

user posted image

He's real snooty too. The "alpha male" if you will. And he makes sure everyone knows it.

But he's also the epitome of "scaredy cat" and will jump at the slightest things. Sometimes just moving your foot will send him 2 feet in the air with a puffed up tail. xd.png

Over the past 37 years I had 10 house cats, they all lived to around 16 years.

There was Zodiack (was a stray), Tia Maria (a gift), Little Boo and Mishu were Tia's kittens

then came Keeza, Zita, and Nikita a sibling group I adopted from the SPCA

Pawpaw was a gift also, she had 6 toes on all her feet

Baebee Kitty I adopted from a neighbour, and I currenty have her little girl Panda. Panda will be my last cat after cleaning kitty litter for 37 years I have had enough. Panda is 5 so we still have lots of years to be together.

I also have 3 Pomerianians Taz 14, Teaka 14, and thier son Roley 12 and then there is my Moloccan Cockatoo Luna 15 wub.gif

I knew there had to be a cat thread out there.

I'm a big cat lover, have been around them all my life, know better than to claim I own one... she's the one in charge. When I was born, we already had a cat in the house, a tortie named Runt. She was the runt of the litter. Mother was on bed rest while having me, and Runt was a constant companion. After I was born, mother kept her out of my room, just to be safe, but she snuck in once, and when mother found us, she was curled up next to me. First word, after mom and dad, was cat.

When I was 3, Runt was in an accident, and we had to get a new one. My uncles cat had had kittens, and we went down to take a look at the litter. I picked up a little girl, and mother picked up a boy. The girl was named Tippy, she was my best friend, and the only thing that got me through my teenage years. She slept with me, curled up in my arms. Muffin, the boy, pretended he ran the house, but we all know the lady took charge. Muffin was moms baby, he let mother do anything she wanted- I remember the one and only time we had to shower a cat, he was not happy, but didn't make it hell (someone fell in the pond when he went chasing the ducks).

When I was 5, we were on vacation, and one of the strays that hung out around my dads stage had kittens. Dad managed to find homes for all but one. While I was on the phone talking do dad, I asked if the kitten was still there, cue little girl in adorable voice asking if we could keep it. Mother was fit to be tied, but there it was, we had our third feline. She was Lickorish. She became close to dad, more than close, she clung to him.

They all lived long happy lives, Lickorish to 16, Tippy and Muffin until 18. They all became sick and went in a relatively short time, that was a dark time. I moved out of home when I was 19, and left my baby girl there. As much as I wanted to keep her with me, I wasn't mean enough to move the old girl from her home.

For a short time in my teenage years, I convinced my parents to at least let a stray stay in the storage shed so the poor dear wouldn't freeze. His was a sad ending, so I'll stop talking there.

I currently have a 14 year old tortie girl named Ashes. I believe she is part maine coon. I bought her from the pet store 14 years ago, and I could not be happier (although if I ever get another new cat, it will be from the spca/shelter).

She is the queen of the roost, with a very quirky purrrsonality. She's fond of the bed- I can't even call it mine anymore, turkey- if I start to make a sandwich or wrap, she's there bawling for some, and a couple of her toys- one she's chewed the fins completely off of.

Ashes, my demonic girl, has a heart murmur, but it doesn't slow her down in the least. She still will play on occasion, at least when I get out the right toy. She's mellowed out from her teenage years, she used to hate my mother when she came to visit, and would only communicate by hissing at her. This day she will allow mother to pet her once in a while.

She's big and poofy- although her shaggyness has decreased as she gets older. She's got giant paws, and these big gorgeous eyes. And best of all, she will snuggle up with me, and only me.

over the years(im 17 now)ive had a few cats,some i brought into the house and some werent mine but i still called them mine because i loved them so much.almost all of them(except one)were from the street and friendly (dont worry,they got theyre vaccinations and whatnot) and in the end they were thrown out(not by me) because they were too much a nuisance for my parents sad.gif

one day i will have a cat that i will keep from when its a kitten and it will be in my own home and no one will be able to take fuzzyman away from me tongue.gif

@ Ripan there is a way to deter cats away from your lawn. Use a water-gun and fill it with water. Squirt the cats that you see on your lawn every time you see them. The cats will soon stop coming to your garden as they don't like water. Hope this helps smile.gif

I have had cats over the years and I currently have six cats, three which are white, two that are tortoiseshell and one that is tortoiseshell and white. One of my white cats has odd eyes but he isn't deaf in the ear with the blue eye.

I have a beautiful tuxedo cat named Delilah that I rescued many years ago when I was younger. smile.gif She came onto my old house's porch one night and my mother found her all scratched up. Mom took her in and took care of her but substantially put her back out. She lingered around the house, though, and I remember playing with her and walking on the old stone wall by my house that went into my neighbor's (who was never there) yard. She became my best friend and I panicked when mom told me we were moving, because I didn't want to leave her. After a few weeks of moving into the house I currently live in, we went back to get the last few items and I finally found her. (I hadn't seen her at all when we had been moving stuff back and forth my new house and my old house) I was so relieved! I took her, put her in a box (we didn't have a pet carrier to put her in) and she's been living happy ever since. o3o. She was fixed and declawed when we found her, and I think it's so sad somebody declawed her and threw her outside, unable to mostly fend for herself. :c Thankfully me and my family found her and now she's a pampered, spoiled indoor kitty. ^o^

We have a few cats that linger outside, but the only significant one is Louis, a male tuxedo cat, which has been coming to our door for years now and we once took in before realizing he had feline leukemia and had to put him back out (he didn't like the indoor life anyways). o3o. I would love another cat, but with Delilah and my rowdy boxer, Charlie, it's difficult. (Not to mention my mother's not very fond of cats to begin with. DX)

We just got a new kitten - a long haired gray guy who is starting to take over the house - at least from our 4-year old male. O we will have MAGNIFICENT chases! Our 7-year old female is much less than pleased with another kitten in the house. She just hasn't tumbled to the fact that she's the boss - Top Cat of the house, so she just has another nudgie guy to lord it over. The new one is a real lover and someone has spent a lot of time with him from the very start. What fun a kitten is!

ETA: Looking for really cool, unusual names for this little lover.

Edited by oddsoxdi

Kitties are so cute <3 wish to have one of my own some day!

We have a Siamese-Torti mix called Mews. She is our baby...whenever my mom nags me about giving her grandkids I tell her that I HAVE given her one, and just because she's 4-legged doesn't make her any less my baby smile.gif(needless to say it is not received well xd.png)

A couple of years ago we also rescued a gray-and-white kitten of about 6 months from a mall pasrking lot. She was so dirty and hungry, the most social cat imaginable. Had a collar and a rabies tag, but no chip...and the Vet said that the rabies tag is not a local one and he had no way of tracing it. So we had her chipped, had her checked, vaccinated and spayed and gave her to a friend of a friend whose old kitty had died the year before. Whenever this lady travels (and she travels a LOT) we get Cassie back for babysitting at our place. She is such a comical cat so we love her very much too.