Allergic to dustmite, so no animals here (although I doubt I'd be responsible enough for them - I'm too addicted to the computer xd.png) :c

I do have fears of them though. A dog once bit my hand and I had to have some (minor) treatment for it.

and then there's the frightful experience of running all the way home from school because a cat was chasing me.

I'm never going through that cul-de-sac again @_@

Edited by cfmtfm

I'm really hankering to own a Savannah cat. I think they're beautiful and I love the description of their temperaments. I adore the snow and silver marble, though I'd be happy to own any as long as they're on the larger side. c: They are rather expensive kitties though (I took a look at a breeder in my area, it's at least 2250 for the female I'd want) so probably won't be able to get on until I've got that steady adult life goin'.

Other than that, I'm a shelter kitty kind of gal. c:

I'm really hankering to own a Savannah cat. I think they're beautiful and I love the description of their temperaments. I adore the snow and silver marble, though I'd be happy to own any as long as they're on the larger side. c: They are rather expensive kitties though (I took a look at a breeder in my area, it's at least 2250 for the female I'd want) so probably won't be able to get on until I've got that steady adult life goin'.

Other than that, I'm a shelter kitty kind of gal. c:

... I think this guys just replaced Maine coons as my favorite cat breed.

In the next few weeks I'm going to adopt 2 cats from the local shelter. I think I'm going to walk in, ask which 2 have been there the longest, and take them home with me. smile.gif

my Pets are a rabbit named Karlie, a Creamsicle Cornsnake named Snake (very creative, I know) and a Anerythrystic Cornsnake named Snape *lol*

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In the next few weeks I'm going to adopt 2 cats from the local shelter.  I think I'm going to walk in, ask which 2 have been there the longest, and take them home with me.    smile.gif

You are my hero! Thank you so much for giving a loving home to two very blessed kitty. ((HUGS))

my Pets are a rabbit named Karlie, a Creamsicle Cornsnake named Snake (very creative, I know) and a Anerythrystic Cornsnake named Snape *lol*

OH my.... you should have placed a COA on Karlie. *THUD* Soooooo pretttyyyyyy wub.gifwub.gif I am not a reptile person but I am sure they have their charms.

Edited by arlymaye

In the next few weeks I'm going to adopt 2 cats from the local shelter. I think I'm going to walk in, ask which 2 have been there the longest, and take them home with me. smile.gif

love that idea!! hope it works out for you smile.gif

I have a cat named Loki. He's black and short haired; with a very sweet temperament and a ton of energy. He likes to get into things and has to smell everything!

My fiance loves cats, so I have a feeling that we'll end up with quite a few more lol

You are my hero! Thank you so much for giving a loving home to two very blessed kitty. ((HUGS))

Thank you arlymaye and Rachel72! I can't wait and will post photos within the next month or two.

I have 2 kitties... Jamal and Nika. I only believe in adopting shelter animals and when I go I ask to see that days kill list, that is where I pick from. Both of my cats have amazing personalities and temperments and are the sweetest of animals, I sometimes look at them and think 'you were mere hours away from death and you have given me SO much'.

I am going to avoid getting up on my soap box about shelter adoption -vs- breeders but please realize that you CAN find pure bred animals at shelters and there is NOTHING wrong with them, it is just like picking out an animal anywhere else. Find the animal that speaks to you and give it love.

My Furry Babies

However PLEASE I beg of anyone, PLEASE be responsible and have your animals spayed or neutered... THOUSANDS die daily because they can't find a home to love them and each litter just brings in more. :'(

i have a pet sugar glider (flying squreell) c

~Eggspam removed~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I have a Jack Russel named Hollie, who is 7 years ago. She doesn't really like other people when she first meets them, but once she knows you she is the soppiest thing ever xd.png I also have some fish.

Edited by sarahfish89

What are the general views here about exotic pets?

I'm not really talking about ferrets, degus, parrots, etc... things that are obviously exotic but can commonly be found in pet stores. I'm also not really talking about the 'big guys' either: tigers, chimps, lions, etc...

More like the things that some states ban, but just as many allow. Foxes, raccoons, servals, things of that sort. By all means, give your views on the other kinds of exotics as well, though.

More like the things that some states ban, but just as many allow. Foxes, raccoons, servals, things of that sort. By all means, give your views on the other kinds of exotics as well, though.

I have no problem with them personally as long as they were bred in captivity, not caught directly from the wild. I think several of those things you mentioned are less dangerous than some dogs. There is some risk of rabies with a few of those animals you listed, though considering some like raccoons already live close to humans, I am not seeing much, if any, more danger from them to others.

I have no problem with them personally as long as they were bred in captivity, not caught directly from the wild. I think several of those things you mentioned are less dangerous than some dogs. There is some risk of rabies with a few of those animals you listed, though considering some like raccoons already live close to humans, I am not seeing much, if any, more danger from them to others.

This.

One thing that really bothers me is there's no rabies vaccine for skunks, which means that if you're bitten by one and someone finds out, there's a very good chance the skunk will be put down and tested for rabies.

Technically there is no rabies vaccine for any exotic animals. Sure you can get your pet raccoon or fox vaccinated if you want to, but there have been no solid testing done on the effectiveness(at least in the US). If someone reports a bite, it's usually curtains for the pet in the name of rabies testing.

Those animals were just an example, I'd include things like cheetahs, lynx, caracals, coyotes, things that are actually quite dangerous, but that are generally allowed in places that ban the overly dangerous. In Florida, until quite recently, mountain lions and cheetahs were allowed as personal pets. They just became Class I animals, with existing pets being grandfathered in.

My problem with a lot of exotic animals is that they're things we haven't domesticated and so are a lot of work to own and still a big danger. My larger problem is people who jump into this unready for the work and commitment that these animals may require more so than a domesticated pet and the animal doesn't get the time or care it deserves. With smaller things (like raccoons), as long as the potential owner has done the research and is actually willing to put in the time, as it should be with any pet - fine. But bigger things (like big cats), I think really need to stay in some kind of wildlife shelter and not with an individual. Even bred in captivity, the animal still isn't domesticated and my limited understanding is that the animal is more likely to hurt you when it's just, for example, trying to play.

However, I'll also note a lot of this is bias and me jumping to conclusions based on the little knowledge and stories I have heard. I am quite un-researched in this area and I certainly wouldn't want to act as any kind of authority on this. ^^

(Although either way, having tighter restrictions on these animals, if not there already probably wouldn't hurt - special, specific, required classes for the type of animal, for example.)

Good points.

I'm not sure what you mean by classes though. Specific classes that an individual must sit through in order to own a certain animal(I actually like that idea)? Or classes of animal?

Some states like Indiana and Ohio(although not sure how much longer, after Zanseville), don't have many restrictions on exotic animals. Which is unfortunate, as that does lead to many people in the situation you just described, owning an animal they really don't understand.

Or places like Florida, that has classes of animal and different requirements for each class. Class I can't be owned by the general public: apes, big cats, elephants, rhinos, etc... Class II animals can be owned privately, but require x amount of time working with that particular animal(like in a zoo setting, or at a sanctuary): caracals, lynx, etc... Then there is class III, your raccoons, foxes, etc...and you must submit a questionnaire proving your working knowledge of the specific animal you want. Plus there are minimum caging and enrichment requirements, as well as random inspections.

I like Florida's approach to exotics. It's restrictive, but not a strangle hold.

Good points.

I'm not sure what you mean by classes though. Specific classes that an individual must sit through in order to own a certain animal(I actually like that idea)? Or classes of animal?

Some states like Indiana and Ohio(although not sure how much longer, after Zanseville), don't have many restrictions on exotic animals. Which is unfortunate, as that does lead to many people in the situation you just described, owning an animal they really don't understand.

Or places like Florida, that has classes of animal and different requirements for each class. Class I can't be owned by the general public: apes, big cats, elephants, rhinos, etc... Class II animals can be owned privately, but require x amount of time working with that particular animal(like in a zoo setting, or at a sanctuary): caracals, lynx, etc... Then there is class III, your raccoons, foxes, etc...and you must submit a questionnaire proving your working knowledge of the specific animal you want. Plus there are minimum caging and enrichment requirements, as well as random inspections.

I like Florida's approach to exotics. It's restrictive, but not a strangle hold.

I like Flordia's approch since it seems to allow people who can handle the animal to keep one in there home if they so choose.

With the high rate of extinction I honestly think that one way to save some species would be to doemsticate them. I know that there is a fox domestication project/study in Russia and foxes from there are not only bred for pets (expensive pets) but to also see how animals were originally domesticated.

With me currently (I'm in college) I have three mice - Molly, Tonks, and Ginny. <3 They really brighten my day, I love them. <3

Back at home there are four dogs, two of which have been in the family for a while. Toby and Annabell are both mutts, wonderful, loving mutts and then we have two rescued dogs that used to be puppy-mill breeders that my mom is caring for.

We have always had pets and I always will have pets - they're family. <3

I'm at college now. I have two axolotls, a golden albino named Matthias (Mattielotl) and a leucistic named Silas (Silamander).

At home I had a sixteen year old dog who's been my best friend for most of my life Baby. She recently passed away, on the 19th. It's been gutting me. To make things worse, my cat Alli (the calico), is very ill and will probably have to be put down.

I also have Trailer, a super fat cat who is super healthy and super evil. ;;

I love all animals, I'll pet any animal that lets me.

Maybe except monkeys, though. They freak me out. >_>

Currently I have a beetle (i grew her from a grub <3), a big pleco, some tetras, and a ferret. He's a superb little gentleman.

I don't have any pet, but I have a blackbird that live near my house and everyday comes to eat. She loves to take pine nuts directly from my hands.

Previous pets:

Bandit: Belgian malenoise male. Died to to old age

Shadow: Belgian malenoise male. Died of tumor in his head

Lucky: Silver mouse that looked like a golf ball (female). Died either to old age or medical problums. Something natural...

Current pets

Kyro: Belgain malenoise male.

Pepper: Black and white female mouse.

Spot: Brown mouse with a white spot on her head.

Midnight: Grayish brown mouse (female)

***For those of you that don't know, belgian malenoise (which i am totally spelling wrong >.<) are gaurd dogs often used in the military and poilce. They can be good pets for experienced owners though***

I work in an emergecy pet clinic and we work with the animal control in our city. We have a large number of strays that come through. I wound up getting my sucker stamp just over a year ago when this cutie came in as an abandoned 4 week old kitten.

user posted image

Here he was at 4 weeks:

user posted image

He had some bad wounds that healed up very nicely. He is still dealing with some long term issues from them, but he is totally worth it!

I also have two other kitties, I'm the crazy cat lady at work wub.gif, and a hamster.