Qwackie

Cats

That is good to know.

I honestly don't know if my cats have amputated tails or not. When I adopted them, they were already missing. But, it is always possible they could have been born that way. They do have all their claws though.

That is good to know.

I honestly don't know if my cats have amputated tails or not. When I adopted them, they were already missing. But, it is always possible they could have been born that way. They do have all their claws though.

Manx cats can be born without tails, and it's not unknown for cats that have been strays to have broken their tails and had to have them removed by a shelter either.

I have two cats called Cleo and Tiger and they get annoying sometimes! MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW Thats how annoying!

Edited by EggMaster99

Thank you, gotd. I agree with the entirety of your post. I would absolutely BEG anyone who is considering declawing to read this page in its entirety before going through with the amputation:

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

It cites a wide variety of veterinarians, veterinary associations, and animal advocate associations. It also has drawings which clearly depict the nature of the declawing procedure (drawings from veterinary textbooks, they're not some kind of scare propaganda, and they're not gory photos, only line drawings).

Though, I have to say, the most effective anti-declawing argument I've ever seen was a photo of the pile of severed kitten toes after the surgery. sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif I'd seriously like to know if there are any dog owners who advocate amputating the dog's toes. Why don't we just extract cats' and dogs' teeth so there's no risk of them biting people, either? Grrr.

It's beyond me why anyone would WANT to declaw their cats. There are too many other options. That, and cats are smart creatures. A couple of sprays with a water bottle, or a swift swat to the rump seems to get their attention in most cases. I use a water bottle with Darrow (and very sparingly, mind you) whenever he absolutely refuses to listen to me. He's also gotten a swat once or twice for clawing and biting, and thus learned the meaning of 'velvet' when we play. (He velvets his paws whenever I say it.)

I knew that most people who own big cats defang them. It's horrendous. sad.gif I think people need to learn that we can't just take away the things that animals were naturally born with, unless it would be in the best interest of the animal - such as spaying and neutering.

Anyway. I'm going to stray from the subject of animal mutilation, as it breaks my heart. </3

Little Darrow will be getting his shots on the 1st of July, and I'm not quite so sure when I'll be getting him neutered. I still have yet to look up vets because I've been so busy trying to get everything for my new house. It won't be a problem if I don't get him neutered right away - he never sprays anything - but I want to get it done withing the next month or so and while he's still young, so it's not hard for him to deal with.

Here's a picture of the little bugger :

user posted image

I love this cat, so much. <3 He's so darn cute, and just purely awesome.

THUD!

@god.ofthedead : You should have totally posted a COA alert! Little Darrow is such a sweetheart! I love kittens when they are at that age - can be annoying sometimes but I wouldn't trade them for anything else in the world!

On declawing, it is sad but many vets actually offer a spay/neuter and declaw package in their practice. A lot of first time owners esp. have no clue what declawing is, they just expect the vet to cut their kitty's sharp claws. If only they know the real horror of the declawing surgery ...

Manx cats can be born without tails, and it's not unknown for cats that have been strays to have broken their tails and had to have them removed by a shelter either.

For my two girls, Tempe has a partial tail (maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a normal length). When feeling it, the bones seem abnormal as she has a kink to it. It doesn't seem to bother her though; she can still move it and wag it back and forth. On the other hand, Abby looks like she has a little bunny tail. The bones that I can feel curl to the side. But, like Tempe, Abby can move what there is just fine. So, they could have been born that way (I was told they are sisters). Guess I will never know for sure. Kind of funny... I've never been a fan of short-tailed or tailless cats, but then I end up with two of them. laugh.gif

On declawing, it is sad but many vets actually offer a spay/neuter and declaw package in their practice. A lot of first time owners esp. have no clue what declawing is, they just expect the vet to cut their kitty's sharp claws. If only they know the real horror of the declawing surgery ...

I had one owner in recently with a new kitten. I asked if she planned on having him declawed, and she said yes. I explained the procedure to her, and she quickly changed her mind. That made me happy.

gotd... SO. CUTE! Your little Darrow is adorable to the max! I looooove how fuzzy they are at that age. You can totally see the Siamese in him -- he has such huuuuge ears and those slightly almond-shaped eyes. I just want to snuggle him!

This is my Horatio:

user posted image

He likes to steal this armchair any time my dad leaves it for even one second. biggrin.gif It's a little game they play.

Edited by Kelkelen

DGDFndafbvejarg adbteb m

I have eight cats. How did I not find this thread sooner?

For now though, just Leo- one of two kittens we have in the house at the moment.

user posted image

@Daypaw - what a darling! Leo looks like he thinks he's all "RAWR I IZ TOUGH" - and has no idea how cute and harmless he actually is. biggrin.gif And his ears are so... so so sharply triangular? There's something so endearing about them.

I, for one, love most cats. I only dislike cats when they are A) Mean or cool.gif Hairless I especially like looking up funny cats because it's so hilarious. xd.pngtongue.giflaugh.gif

Cats >>> dogs, imo.

My family has several cats, but I only consider two of them mine - a tabby and a black and white tuxedo, both females (I'd post pics, but oh god so lazy rn).

I consider the tabby to be the more clever of the two, but the tuxedo managed to turn my Kindle on, purchase, and download The Autobiography of Mark Twain last night, so I suppose she's the most well-read. laugh.gif

DGDFndafbvejarg adbteb m

I have eight cats. How did I not find this thread sooner?

For now though, just Leo- one of two kittens we have in the house at the moment.

user posted image

Awww! He is all "Raw! I is scary big cat!"

Not the best picture of my girls, but here they are.

user posted image

aww! They look so darling. And so *plush.* I just want to snuggle them!

i just got back from vacation and my cat FORHD is acting very odd. he is acting very scared or frightened. and he wont come to me. i was only gone for three days and there was nothing here to frighten or hurt him. my other cat seems fine, overly chatty, but everything is normal. FORHD is acting very skittish and its worrying me and i cant get a method i know of to get him to calm down. lazer light, cat nip, coaxing, cuddling, kissing, everything =( pleae help, hes not normally likr this

Is FORHD acting any differently today? He may just have been alarmed by the change in routine. What exactly do you mean by scared or frightened -- is he laying his ears back? Hissing? Hiding? Running away? Threatening to claw if you go close? It might take him a few days to warm back up to you, especially if he felt abandoned or if you came home smelling like other animals or unpleasant things.

he cant claw me for he's declawed and he is still acting odd. he's running away and hiding a lot and he only did this when he realized we came home. and i wouldnt imagine we smelled funny we didnt do anything to smell funny except relax at a hotel

A little late to the convo, but I adore cats. As a matter of fact, I am one. >.> I typically am not seen without my cat ears and tail. Ever. xd.png But anyhoo, being a lifelong zoology buff, I've made it my business to become an expert on any animal I really like, and cats are one of the greatest! I'd like to introduce you all to Madame Cloudy VonCalico, my feline companion of fourteen years. We grew up together, as we were both kittens when she came to me (I was nine, and she was three months). Now we have our own place, having escaped my parents' awful lair of doom, and we're still keepin' it real after all these years. Here she is, in all her glory:

user posted image

And also a video of her very much enjoying a delicious bird leg:

user posted image

Edited by Linaeth

What a beautiful girl! She looks amazing for a 14-year-old! And those greeeeeen eyes! I watched the video, too. smile.gif Is that a chicken drumstick or a turkey one? How big is she?

This is my kitty showing off how he's about 3 feet (1 meter) long when he tries. Sphinx cat!

user posted image

Edited by Kelkelen

I used to have a lot of cats when I was growing up, though most of them were strays. All them were so cute, but I don't have any pictures of them.

Then when I was in high school, I had a pretty kitty name Kit. smile.gif He died though liked over 5 years ago, and I miss him like crazy. Also, we had a lot of stray cats around us around during my high school years.

Haven't had a cat recently though since our landlord doesn't allow pets. sad.gif

Picked up Fizzgig my gray fox kit from the airport yesterday. She's still adjusting, and basically hates everyone. sleep.gif

Cloudy's a big girl. @___@ Probably about ten pounds or so and probably nearly two feet nose to tail. That's a turkey drumstick she's got there. On the carpet, like a boss. e___e

I had a bunny named Clark.

user posted image

He was the coolest bunny I've ever hung out with. Now he's dead.

But now I have a puppy, her name's Sybil and she poops like a horse :V

I have a cat named Sammy, he's a British Bombay, acts like he's king of the house, and hates to have his stomach touched. I also had a dog, but she died, and Sammy misses her so much. He wails at night sometimes, and I have to let him sleep with me 3/4 of the time. I used to have a pet Cockatiel named Tilly, but he died while I was playing with him, and I have no idea why. o.o