Qwackie

Cats

I SAW THE WORD 'CATS'!!!!! Anything that has cats that I see, I'm there. Soon I'll be the crazy-cat-lady, and you can kinda see that I like cats...the name and the photo! My cat is having problems. Crooked head, messed-up eye, and something is wrong with him...he might not survive.... :'( But, anyways, I'm staying strong. My cat's name is Prince Fuzzy Boots, Prince for short. Can't find a photo of him right now. But, no giving up on him!!! My favorite type of cat? Flame-point siamese(Like my cat, Prince)!

user posted image

Favorite wild cat? The Bengal tiger(Panthera tigris tigris)!

user posted image

I just had to reply to this! Lol! I LOVE cats! I've had so many cats in my life...

I had bad luck with cats as a kid... My first cat got stepped on by a cow. And my mom didn't like my cats, and once I came home from school and she'd dropped two of them off outside my dad's house (they were indoor cats, and I never found them...)

KiKi - Indoor, mom dropped him off at my aunt's farm, he was stepped on by a cow.

Caos - Indoor, mom dropped him off at my aunt's farm, disappeared.

Tricksi - Outdoor stray, disappeared.

Pumpkin - Outdoor stray, pregnant when we found her. Had complications during birth, and we lost her and all 5 kittens.

Monkey - Outdoor, hit by car.

Raindrop - Outdoor, hit by car.

Tomas - Indoor, UTI, died of kidney failure.

Jingles - Indoor, mom dropped her off at my dad's house, disappeared.

Lilith - Indoor, mom dropped her off at my dad's house, disappeared.

Sterling - Indoor, slipped out an open window, disappeared.

Punkie - Outdoor, disappeared.

Smokey - Indoor, still lives with my mother. (my brother's cat)

Cutie - Outdoor, still lives with my mother. (my sister's cat)

Albert - Outdoor, still lives with my mother.

Winky - Outdoor stray, still lives with my mother.

Khepri - Indoor, lives with me.

I think that's all of them... I apologize if I missed someone. So yeah, tragic history with cats as a kid. Even Khepri has a crazy story behind him (there was a bit of a custody battle, lol). Anyways, here's my Khepri!

user posted image

user posted image

He's a Sphinx cat!

Oh geesh, I think you have worse luck with cats than I do. As all my cats are outdoor cats, we lose them regularly. However, I think we've only lost about 6.

How exactly does a cow manage to step on a cat? Our cats just simply avoid the horse hooves. Some of them will occasionally rub up against Dolly's foreleg but most stay far away from them.

I love cats for many years <3

And 4 monts ago i've got a kitty finally, my brother found 3 months old lady out on the street. My mom was very long against her but now we all love her so much <3

She is indoor because i don't want to lose her and i am living near the street so it may be dangerous for her. She is black and have beautifull green eyes :3

Oh geesh, I think you have worse luck with cats than I do. As all my cats are outdoor cats, we lose them regularly. However, I think we've only lost about 6.

How exactly does a cow manage to step on a cat? Our cats just simply avoid the horse hooves. Some of them will occasionally rub up against Dolly's foreleg but most stay far away from them.

We've always had 'outdoor' cats (meanings cats that live indoors but have free acess outside if they want it) and most of the ones we've lost have been to old age.

Our first siamese was an exception to that, though. We lived near a farm at the time, and he somehow managed to get himself kicked by one of the cows. It completely caved his chest in. Not nice at all. sad.gif Siamese pretty much have *no* sense, so we kept them in after that.

We've always had 'outdoor' cats (meanings cats that live indoors but have free acess outside if they want it) and most of the ones we've lost have been to old age.

Our first siamese was an exception to that, though. We lived near a farm at the time, and he somehow managed to get himself kicked by one of the cows. It completely caved his chest in. Not nice at all. sad.gif Siamese pretty much have *no* sense, so we kept them in after that.

I've discussed this before on the forums. We have livestock (chickens), so we have a huge coyote problem. Our newest dog is a Great Pyreneese and has been much better at keeping the coyotes at bay. Since we got her the only cat we've lost is the one that we kept for ~3.5 years. When Carmen had her litter of kittens, she started being obnoxious and got in a fight with Kyra. I blame my mother for this, because she didn't force Kyra and Carmen to get along so that they would be in the cage at night. Instead, she allowed Kyra to stay out at night. The only times we've lost cats is when they refuse to go in the cage at night.

I still don't see how a cat can get kicked/stepped on by a cow/large animal. Are the cats really not smart enough to stay away from big hooves?

I've discussed this before on the forums. We have livestock (chickens), so we have a huge coyote problem. Our newest dog is a Great Pyreneese and has been much better at keeping the coyotes at bay. Since we got her the only cat we've lost is the one that we kept for ~3.5 years. When Carmen had her litter of kittens, she started being obnoxious and got in a fight with Kyra. I blame my mother for this, because she didn't force Kyra and Carmen to get along so that they would be in the cage at night. Instead, she allowed Kyra to stay out at night. The only times we've lost cats is when they refuse to go in the cage at night.

I still don't see how a cat can get kicked/stepped on by a cow/large animal. Are the cats really not smart enough to stay away from big hooves?

Yeah, see I can understand the problem in areas where there's large wildlife. We haven't got any of that in the UK, so it's never been a problem here.

Most cats *are* sensible enough to stay away from large animals. I've worked in several yards where there were barn cats and we never once had one kicked by a horse. Siamese, on the other hand, have absolutely *no* sense as far as I've been able to tell. It never seems to occur to them that anything might be dangerous. Which is why, since that first one, we've always kept them in, with just a run in the garden for them.

Hello fellow cat enthusiasts!!

I've got a little balck girl cat that I rescued a couple of years ago. She is an indoor only cat as I live in a city and work at an emergency veterinary clinic. She is happy as a clam though and has never shown interest in going back outside since being rescued.

I'm really not sure how he got stepped on. I was only 3 or so when we got Kiki, and we only had him for a few weeks, when my mom found out that we couldn't have cats where we were living. I didn't even find out how he died until years later, when my grandma mentioned it, and my mom realized she'd never told me. *shrug*

I have to say, I quiet enjoy cats. Any and all. Favorites? Hmm.. too many to mention lol. Though I do have to say, I'm not a fan of like.. Scottish Folds or Persians.. Mainly cats with flat faces.

I have a long haired tuxedo cat and I absolutely love him. The down side is since he's long hair, he sometimes gets hairballs and he certainly despises being brushed. dry.gif

My fluffy kitty Andy.

user posted image

i havent had much experience with cats, but my friend loves them and has at least six. they come from a rich family, so they are all well taken care of. smile.gif i like them when they sit in my lap ^^

My dad doesn't like cats much, but their pretty cool smile.gif

Edited by my homi

...Scorpions are scary. D: We saw a bright yellow, small one on camp. We decided not to do the activity around there.

My cat lost her tooth today. :c

I'm exhausted. sleep.gif Just spent my entire Saturday building an outdoor enclosure and all I have to show for it are 8 posts in the ground and the bottom part done. I haven't even started drilling stuff together yet. The only fence I got done was the part that covered the bottom, and put topsoil over it.

Still so much to do. DX

I've tried everything to convince my parents I can own a guinea pig. Whenever I come up with a solution to the excuse of why I cannot get a guinea pig, they make up a different reason. I've tried pretty much everything. One of my friends has a guinea that she's allergic to and it needs to find a good home. If anyone's idea gets me that guinea pig, they will be rewarded with rare dragons on DC.

If you have any suggestions, please PM me or post here.

Please help!!! D:

Edited by Dragonshadows

I got a cage with two gerbils by cleaning my room and clearing a space, paying for their food. To show i was ready and they had to do almost nothing but buy the cage , the animals, and the stuff necessary to clean it.

You could try asking if you can just look after it till your friend can find it a new home. Then if you show you can do REALLY well and not be any kind of nuisance with it, and pay for everything it needs (had you thought about that bit ?? I am a parent - though my children are adults now ! - and believe me, even guinea pig food and bedding and so on add up....) they may give in ?

And make sure you ARE aware of how much money an animal can cost. I agreed to pay for everything for my cat when I adopted him, but I didn't quite comprehend, having never owned a cat before, just how much money I was talking. If I'd have know that I spend almost $50 a month on him, I might've waited longer before adopting him. It worked out, but it took a blow to my bank account.

Money is probably the biggest issue - piggies eat a LOT of food, both fresh fruit/veggies, and dry food. They also must be cleaned out roughly every 3 days and need a lot of love. Because of the amount they eat, they tend to poop and pee a lot which makes cleaning them out quite a job and it's pretty unpleasant when you pick up a newspaper wet with piggie pee and covered in poops. You also need to buy fresh hay and sawdust about every week.

They are great pets, however, and as long as you love them they will love you back. They don't bite at all, they actually lick you instead, which is just one of many things that make piggies so adorable. smile.gif It's nice to come home after a long day and just sit down giving your piggie cuddles while it purrs.

So in short, they can be a bit of work to look after, but all of that work definitely pays off.

I've tried everything to convince my parents I can own a guinea pig. Whenever I come up with a solution to the excuse of why I cannot get a guinea pig, they make up a different reason. I've tried pretty much everything. One of my friends has a guinea that she's allergic to and it needs to find a good home. If anyone's idea gets me that guinea pig, they will be rewarded with rare dragons on DC.

If you have any suggestions, please PM me or post here.

Please help!!!    D:

As a mom: I can bet i can come up with every reason to say no. Are you generally a good, responsible kid? Hows your grades?

As the kid side: When i gave up on explaining to my parents all the reasons i should have the pets i wanted, i went ahead and brought my pets home, with the understanding that if my parents so much as smelled them they would end up rehomed.

So my advice: Save up your money, buy supplies. Keep your room clean, dont fight with the parents. Show your parents you are making the efforts to prove you can handle it, and then work on the whole "waste not" side of things.

My mom fell in love with my piggies when she reaized how much less waste we would have when it came to veggies and fruit going to waste. Theres a fine line between where we will eat the veggies and they have to be thrown out, and the piggies loved that point. they were still perfectly edible just not where mom would use them. Work out a deal where you will find the piggy a home if it doesnt work out. Bribes are good. keep your chores done up and your room clean, keep piggys cage as clean as possible so you dont get the smell and when all else fails, you will know you /tried/.

Do keep in mind: piggies can cost a lot more than you expect. I originally brought home just the one, then my friend asked me to use him for her show breeds. I adopted her female, then the babies. The fresh foods never came out of my pocket. Mom always bought a lot of them anyhow (chef) and when they hit the point she wouldnt use them (still perfectly edible for a week after) the piggys got them.

Edited by Thuban

Now what if he doesn't have a job.

Use all her pocket money. Deliver papers. Wash cars. Rake yards.

Parents don't HAVE to pay out for pets. They do come expensive and times are hard.

Edited by fuzzbucket

^Buying the pet is the least expensive part of owning one.

You have to buy them food, treats, toys, accommodation, all of the things you need to clean and house them. You should make contact with a veterinarian who can handle their medical needs, and then pay for their checkups and emergencies.

You also have to take care of them, which isn't just playing with them, but also includes learning about them so you can tell when they're sick, knowing how to keep them safe, maintaining a schedule for feeding, cleaning, etc. that ensures the pet has a good quality of life, managing noise and escape problems...

There are a lot of perfectly good reasons to say no to a pet joining a household.

I would say listen to Thuban's advice most of all. Prove you're responsible enough to take care of the pet, and hopefully your parents will agree.