Qwackie

Cats

My cat got a whole plate of mince for Christmas. She was in the house by herself over it so when I came home, it was devoured. tongue.gif

^^

My cat loves to hide or important items, but shes weird, because she won't eat ham or steak or any of the good stuff.

Some cats are so used to eating dry food their whole lives that they don't recognize those things as food.

Some cats are so used to eating dry food their whole lives that they don't recognize those things as food.

I think that's what confuses my cat. She's never been fed these as a staple food, and I don't treat her to meat often, just because I'm a vegetarian myself so there isn't always a surplus of it. But the strong smell attracts her to it, and she enjoys the taste of it, but I don't think she realizes she can actually ingest it instead of just licking it a lot.

Yeah. She has never hunted in her life, because she is permantly a house cat (She is somehwhat lame from being hit by a car.) so that could be part reason. But if you skip a morning without giving her the daily treats, shes out for your blood. xd.png

If my cat sees I have a sandwich, she positions herself in my lap and stares at my sandwich, inching ever so closer whenever I take a bite. Then, if she feels there is an opportune moment, she lifts a paw- lets it hover for a moment as she decides an appropriate strike time- and then tries to bat it out of my hand. Of course this doesn't work all that much, but one time she came up on me unexpectedly one day while I was eating a Popsicle and proceeded to stick her paw into the side of it.

._.

I think that's what confuses my cat. She's never been fed these as a staple food, and I don't treat her to meat often, just because I'm a vegetarian myself so there isn't always a surplus of it. But the strong smell attracts her to it, and she enjoys the taste of it, but I don't think she realizes she can actually ingest it instead of just licking it a lot.

Well, cats ARE obligate carnivores after all. They have to have some instinct.

To be honest, I'm not a massive fan of cats. I'm much more of a dog person myself. And after watching season 3 of Misfits today, which had a zombie cat in it, I think I like them even less. laugh.gif Though if I had to have any cat at all, a zombie cat would probably be the best choice.

The only thing I like less than real cats is nyan cat. tongue.gif

Edited by StormWizard212

My cat is parsnickity enough to try to steal my delicious-smelling meat from my mouth 8| I'll be sitting on the couch, raise the fork to my mouth, and a Saffron appears leaning forward in an attempt to bite the meat off my fork before I can get it into my own mouth. Maybe it's a good thing your cat isn't into meat? xd.png

^^

Haha. We used to have a cat named Cross-Eyes (because she was, obviously, cross eyed.) And as a kitten, I remember her sister proceed to playfully pick on her, which set her off. So she ran after her sister, who climbed one of our smallish pear trees. Cross-eyes apprently couldn't tell which tree was real, because she saw two, and face planted into the tree. xd.png I was torn between being worried, or laughing. I collapsed because I couldn't stop giggling, and she gave me an annoyed look, and tried to hid herself under a bush.

Here is where you can talk about anything that has to with guinea pigs! Here is all about mine:

I have two female short-haired guinea pigs. I found them on petfinder.com, and adopted them from an animal shelter. Their names are Teddie and Tootsie. Teddie is a superactive little girl with a big heart, but a weak bladder! xd.png Tootsie is a lazy lump, but very sweet and a real cuddler. She is brown and caramel, and Teddie is mostly white, but has a brown head and butt. The two are siblings from a litter of four, and they live together in a very big C&C cage. I use fleece, but 1/4 of the cage has fluff for all their poops and pees. They have an upper floor to their cage where I keep their pellets and give them veggies.

That's all about my piggies, now I want to hear about yours! You can also post:

-questions

-pictures

-info

-tips

-suggestions of toys, bedding, etc.

-Guinea pig youtube channels

-helpful sites

-and anything else about guinea pigs!

Edited by Moonbeam22

My guinea pig is named Lilia. She is a sweet and gentle 3 year old piggy. Her birthday is Christmas Day. She is chestnut colored 9 inch long piggy with a white spot on her nose and her right front paw is white. She has had 2 puppies(baby piggies), a boy and a girl.The boy had a white stripe leading from his nose to his back, which ended with a deformed heart shape. The girl had a white spot on her neck.The boy was a dark chocolate color, while the girl was a milky chocolate.Lilia is spoiled rotten by my mom and I.

For C&C cages or home made ones I recommend these two sites to buy accessories at.

1. http://pimpmypiggy.homestead.com/

2. http://www.etsy.com/shop/PennyGigDesigns?ref=top_trail

I have three cats. Two are orange domestic short-hairs named Cheddar and Colby (he has some white on him). I adopted them from the animal shelter when they were kittens. The third is the brattiest cat I've ever met; a chocolate-point Siamese named Chantico. I've had them for 7 and 6 years now. :-)

I have an old, fat, gray tabby cat named Hopper. I got him when I was six years old and we rescued him as a kitten from a shelter. He was the only long haired cat in his litter and he reached out of the cage when he saw us. That's what made me pick him.

We also have a black-furred toy poodle named Sidney. He's very energetic and he loves to lick people all the time.

And I have a leopard gecko named Nipper. She's a real sweetie, but she's not very good at hunting crickets. :\

I want an owl, though. A little one, like a white-faced scops or a saw-whet. They're so adorable ;~;

Yush! Pet thread!

I have:

5 horses

5 cats, including one house cat. Shes somewhat lame, her waist and down was crushed by a truck two years ago. Shes fine now, but she walks with a weave in the back.

1 beta fish named Alpha

2 dogs, Miley is mine.

1 Australian Tree Frog named Jade.

1 Leopard Gecko named dude. Hes fat and brighter yellow than a banana, and he loves to hang out with people.

1 Cockatiel (a small breed of parrot native to Australia.) We got him on Veterans Day. Hes about six months old, we sent sure. His name is Gylfie. He loves me and loves to be pet and held. He also takes showers with me. xd.png Hes normal grey.

So much to say about them, but it would take up a lot more room. We've lost a terrible amounts of cats that we tried to save, barn cats at a race track that was over populated with them. Disease struck them, but we save as many as we could. And sadly, the ones we brought him were slaughtered by coyotes. Its very sad, I know. We are now down to five cats, but they come inside a room a night, so they are safe from predators.

Edited by CharmedWolf

Heres my little Pup, Tasha a Staffy Bull Terrior. She likes to Lay on her back infront of the fire. My brother thought it was funny to make a "Dead" sign, unfortunatly she rolled over laugh.gif

user posted imageuser posted image

Used to hae a Bunch of Fish, Rabbits, Chickens but we moved and couldn't keep them, although dad is working on building a chicken coop to run through the orchard so eventually we'll get some chickens.

I don't have any pets at the moment since the place I live doesn't allow them (at least nothing more than goldfish, that is)... tongue.gif But I want a dog. Reeeeeally want one.

Vocalia, your dogs are so cute. biggrin.gif *wants* ... *steals*

I've had numerous pets over the years, cats, dogs, rats, gerbils, snakes, etc.

Currently though I only have a large pleco (no picture) and two family dogs Gwen and Pandora.

They're English Springer Spaniels that are supposed to be hunting dogs but these days all they seem to hunt is a spot on the couch.

user posted image

Pandora adores most people, especially men (she'll choose a man over me any day). She loves tennis balls that have been run over by a lawn mower, is terrified of hair clippers, and hates exercise unless there's a pheasant involved. Her idea of playing fetch these days is to either retrieve the ball once and then hide under a tree with it so you can't throw it again, or to let her sister bring the ball back and then she'll steal it. If you let her on the bed, she'll steal your pillow and lay with her head on it, one paw above, and one paw underneath.

user posted image

Gwen really only cares about food, tennis balls, and her own family. She tends to ignore people outside the family and doesn't enjoy hunting as much as her sister. Aside from my father, the tennis ball is her world, and she'll "throw" it at you when she wants you to play fetch. She's also terrified of the clippers and doesn't like to go out at night without someone with her.

Another photo

A more updated photo but they're looking shaggier and poor Pandora is in the cone of shame due to an abscess.

Aw, my camera is at my mom's place but where I am staying at we have:

- 2 Dogs; A Chihuahua/Rat Terrier Mix and a Jack Russel mix.

- 1 3-legged Calico Cat

- 3 Tanks of Guppies, Swordtails, Fem Betta, Danios, Plattys, Mollys and Tiger Barbs.

- 1 Delta Tail Marble Betta

- 1 Chinese Water Dragon

When I get my camera back I will post pics of them. biggrin.gif

It's been a while since I last looked at this topic. Since Socky merged them, I forgot whether I have posted here or not. Still...

Vocalia, your dogs are so cute. biggrin.gif *wants* ... *steals*

I WILL NEVER LET YOU STEAL MY BEAGLE BABIES! NEVER!!!! (JK). xd.png

And yes, I have two male dogs of aforementioned breed, a rooster, a hen, a rabbit, two turtles, hermit crab (only seen one so far, dad lets them roam around and claims to have bought three...), and koi goldfish. In short, my house is more or less a petting zoo.

I used to have three dogs (Pomeranians) but one died on Halloween night so now I only have two left (sadly it was the mother dog of the two we have). We also have fish too. Though all of them died as well except for one, which is our Chinese Algae eater. tongue.gif

I've had various fish. Our family has had various dogs (either had to return - German Shepard we had as kids that snapped at us all the time - or ran away or one that sneakily got returned because of its behavior). Now we have a dog, Dolly, who I think we decided was a chabrador or something, and a cat, Oreo, both of whom are really my sister's. My mom has some fish. She used to keep them in her classroom but since she got switched to two part time positions because of cutbacks the fish have stayed at home.

I used to have a gray cockatiel. Lived for like nine years before it finally died. I creatively named it Tweety. My sister got me two finches for my birthday, so I've only had them for a few months. Male society finch, Huff, and female zebra finch, Puff.

Huff just died a few days ago. 3=

We got another society finch, but its really shy and skittish and makes Puff beep every time I come into the room out of nervousness. Trying to figure out how to get it used to me (won't make a sound so we can't tell what gender and I haven't come up with a name yet).

Huff and Puff had a couple of eggs and I finally got excited for babies by deciding I'd name two Hakuna and Matata or three Veni, Vidi, and Vici.

I've always loved cats, i once had a cat which would even accompany me on the road to school. when i came back, he would always appear in front of me as if he was saying "welcome back smile.gif" and then he sat on my legs purring biggrin.gif. He had the same age as me, but unfortunately he died at the age of 12... we had another cat along with him (he was younger but died before because of an illness, they were very alike, both were red/orange with white stripes (they where not purebred n we found them abandoned)). During a holiday we adopted another kitten, so my older cat could have a playmate after my other cat's death. they lived toghether for a short amount of time, n then he died sad.gif. we had our new kitten (a black n white female, another crossbreed) for about 6 years, but (awfully sad story incoming xd.png, i do not want to bother you with it, so xd.png, if you do not want to get depressed, do not read until you find this*).

She died about a month ago

because she fell off a fence between ours n our neighbors's garden: she was left there for about three hours at night, freezing n suffering n scared to death, she let out such sad sounds tha i shudder whenever i think about it sad.gif( xd.png dramatic but true). i had even heard her, but i was sure she was in the house n i thought it was another cat... it was about midnight when we found her, my sis n my mom took her to the vet, but, she died because her ribs had injured her internal organs n she wasn't able to breathe. i always blame myself for that...* Well, after this drama xd.png, we have adopted two cats named Audrey n Flik.

apart from cats we've had an aquarium with many kinds of fishes (even some little frogs n two freshwater turtles. my favorite animals will always remain cats, i especially like the Maine coon

n the norwegian forest cat, the latter is a bit wild (these species are both purebreds n a normal adult can weigh from 7 to 10 kilos o.o. maine coons have a very long fur n must be brushed very often, but they repay you with all their love biggrin.gif. norwegians have an even longer fur, but are far more independent and wild (they look like small wildcats and can be scary if angry o.o)

Maine coon

norwegian forest cat

Edited by jetcomb

Haven't really had any pets that were strictly mine until my dog Grimm, I got her four years ago almost exactly. biggrin.gif Other cats and dogs were always 'family' pets like our retriever Belle. I technically have a torti-cat that is 'mine' but since my mom brought her home, and bought her food until about a year ago, I don't really consider her mine.

As of now, I have a terrier mutt named Grimm and a leopard gecko named Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy. Grimm is a sweet heart, and Mr. Darcy is a huge grump that hates everyone. I'll admit Darcy's temperament is my fault, I never hold him, ever. Feed him and clean his cage, yes. Hold, no. Mostly because I got him when I was SUPER busy with work I never put aside time to tame him more, and never bothered after he was untamed.

Grimm is my little buddy. biggrin.gif She's half rat terrier and the rest is a mystery. I betting it's Chihuahua/Dachshund, but could be Shih tzu/Pekinese. *shrug*

She gave me a scare a few days ago, when I noticed a lesion on her rear end. One of her anal glands had ruptured, and she was in a lot of pain. Good thing I have emergency 'vet money' stashed for just this kind of thing. Now she hates me for about 10 minutes everyday because she gets antibiotics squirted into her mouth and smeared on her behind. Poor thing. I've changed around her diet, Freshpet mixed with pumpkin. sleep.gif She loves it, and I hope that and taking her to the vet to get 'expelled' every few months prevents this from ever happening again.

Planning on getting a few sugar gliders in the next few months. Can't wait! biggrin.gif

Edited by Draco Knight

Has anyone used a scat mat to keep animals out of certain areas?

Since I live with 3 cats and I have birds, it is of the utmost importance that they be kept out of this room. I am very diligent with closing the door, however my fiance is not. Also, one cat is getting very sneaky. If the door is open at all he'll run in here and hide under the bed. I catch him most of the time, but there have been times when I'll check under the bed purely out of paranoia and he'll be under there. So now I'm checking under the bed before I leave, but my fiance never does that. I'm going to place a scat mat at the entrance of the door as a last line of defense. I just hope they aren't smart enough to realize they can jump over the mat lol.