Qwackie

Cats

Regarding cats and Christmas trees... my family always has a real tree, and we don't let the cats into the room without supervision. Since the tree is near the front window, we've tethered it with fishing line or cord tied to the trunk, connected to cup hooks or something like that under the front windowsill. I recommend keeping a spray bottle of water, possibly with a bit of lemon or vinegar in it, to spritz the kitty every time it gets close. Also, I've never tried this, but I know some pet supply places sell stuff that's supposed to be a repellent scent to cats. Maybe you could look for that and spray it around the lower branches of the tree.

Another thing to bear in mind is that cats need to scratch and need to climb. Make sure that you're providing the cats with a proper scratching post and play area -- they'll be less tempted by the tree if they have a nice post *without* needles nearby (like, in the room, or the next room over; not on a separate floor of the house). Any time they go for the tree, you can pick them up and relocate them to the post, and maybe add some powdered catnip to make it extra appealing. Cats don't usually like the texture of those carpeted scratching posts that all the pet stores sell. Figure out what texture your cat prefers (it could be burlap, wood, sisal -- a tightly-woven hemp that's on some higher-end scratching posts, or you could buy some and wrap it around an already-existing post) and try to provide that.

Oh, cats also hate sticky substances. So, double-sided tape is your friend. You could try putting some around the trunk and lower branches of the tree. As for dangly ornaments, you just have to keep a weather eye on the cat, and spray it if it gets too close!

My Jinxie is terrified of the bathtub. He hates getting baths. But as soon as we let him outside, what does he do? Jumps into a bucket of water and sit in it.

My Jinx is the weirdest cat I ever had...

I miss having a cat,. You have no idea how much. But now I travel so much (dual resident dual citizen) it just would not be fair. This is the first time in my life I have been without one.... and I HATE it.

I miss having a cat,. You have no idea how much. But now I travel so much (dual resident dual citizen) it just would not be fair. This is the first time in my life I have been without one.... and I HATE it.

I hear you. Right now, I'm teaching overseas, so my kitty is living with his grandparents. But I miss him -- really, every day.

I have two cats. The first is orange and grew to prodigious dimensions and is the less intelligent. The other is still pretty small and has a stunted, broken up tail (we caught him wild) and is completely black with enormous green eyes, so his name is Toothless. Like the Night Fury. smile.gif

My cat must have known that I was starting to read this thread because she justed jumped onto my lap and installed herself. A bit like saying: 'So now you get to tell people how absolutely adorable I am!'. Result: I'm typing this with my arm held in an awkward position because she is now where my arm usually is when typing biggrin.gif

I have always loved cats. As a kid I was VERY allergic so I had to content myself with collecting pictures of cats. Then I met my current husband and in his family everyone owns at least one cat so family parties were at the same time torture and extremely joyful smile.gif

Then when I grew older, around my 21st year, the allergy just disappeared. I can now pet cats, play with them, brush them, ... without feeling anything (but joy). 14 years later I'm still over the moon about that.

When we went to live together we immediately adopted an Abyssinian, Penny, who was a breeder's cat who outlived her usefulness because she couldn't have babies anymore, so she came to live her 'retirement' with us. Unfortunately she passed away a few years ago.

She was soon after joined by Pruts, also an Abyssinian, who was born at the same breeder with her tail broken, so she couldn't be sold. As the break didn't set right her tail grew into a little curl at the end, sooooo cute!

We are now building a house and once we live there (and finally have a garden) we are planning on getting two more cats, preferably from the same nest. They will probably not be from a specific breed, just two little kittens who need a good home from a shelter. I wouldn't have had 'purebred' cats if it wasn't for my two dears that needed adopting, because I don't want to pay for a breed cat while there are so many other cats that need a home.

Edit with the promised pics:

Here I'm sleeping on a beanbag in the living room because I'm ill, my two dears keeping me warm. Look at the smile on my face! Bliss!

user posted image

On this one you can see the curl in the tail very well.

user posted image

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww <3

They are sooooooooo cute happy.gif

My kitty sleeps with me and gets up in 6am to poop o.o

She is also really annoying cause sometimes she would want to get outside and when she is outside she would want to come back inside. And it happens all over again and she has a fear of catflaps. (A catflap is a door for cats)

My cat has a fear of; Horses, Dogs, Sheds, Shed doors, Cars, Cat carriers, fridge, water, Sink, Flea shampoo, Spray bottles of any kind, vacuums, christmas trees

Odd things my cat does;

At night and only at night she viciously attacks our stairs with everything shes got (They are carpet too) she takes a running start and slams into them with her body and then proceeds ripping them up.

Every, Single, time, we let her outside (She does this in steps btw) she rolls around on our deck 3 times. Gets up sits down, licks herself lays back down and rolls 3 times, goes down our stairs and comes back up licks herself and then goes off doing whatever it is she likes doing.

Edited by boscodelta

I have a jet black, blind cat named B.c., not very creative I know. She sleeps with me near every night and is just the neatest lil' thing. My mother owns a super furry 'm' kitty that is a giant pain in the rear, loves to get into trouble and cause mischief.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR..._M-7ZzN85rS_V36

That's what our Chow Chow/German Shepard mix, Savanna, looks like. Unlike most other mixes, she's not fat and extremely poofy. xd.png She's got more of the German Shepard build with some hair under her ears. She's not very nice to people or animals...passive-aggressive. But she's a big sweetie to the family, including her two sons. Whenever I bring her scraps like steak fat or pizza crust, she does this little dance. She jumps around and spins a few times. xd.png I'm not even sure how old she is. She has to be at least five or six, but I think she might even be eight. She's an old lady, but she isn't greying yet and is still hyper. xd.png She lost her teeth in the back recently, but I think they're growing back.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS...eRf172lriV8p4dw

That's what Scout looks like. Everybody thinks he's a Rott/lab mix, but he's actually Chow/German Shepard/Chesapeake Bay/Chocolate Lab. He's really lean, much leaner than the dog in the picture. His ears and markings are just like that, too! xd.png He's suspicious of outsiders, but he loves his family to death. When he's happy, especially when I give him a belly rub, he makes this grunting sound. It's adorable. xd.png He's three.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ...YXOayZxxOVJCPDj

That's what Jake looks like. He's a big fatty. xd.png He's also really sweet. He loves people, but he barks at them and tries to jump on them when he first meets them. xd.png Jake is a little lazy, but he also loves to run. And eat things he isn't supposed to. xd.png He still looks like a puppy, even though he's three years old.

Images don't belong to me. Got them off google. Copyright to their respective owners.

I have 2 fantail goldfish.

I also have a 2 year old tabby/himalayan named Oliver. We adopted him when he was 1 1/2 years.

Here he is: user posted image

Today December 24 at 5:20 MST time, our family dog, Sapa, passed away due to our neighbor running her over when he was arriving to his house, drunk >< if it can be called ''fortunately'', it was an instantaneous death.

;___; Rest in peace little girl, hope in heaven you can eat all the moles you want.

I WANT A HOLLAND LOP RABBIT OR A MINI REX.

But of course I can't have one. *sulks* So then I became fixated on the roborovski hamsters, and the winter whites. But of course I can't have those either. Might as well as settle for zombie guppies. And of course, what does mom say-- NO.

EDIT: OMG Shiru!!! That's terrible! Sue the crap outta that guy! I'm so pissed!

Edited by incondicency

I had to take my little girl into the vet due to a puffy teary eye. Turns out she needs this nasty ointment put in her eye twice a day. At first it was a real drama. She kept finding new ways to make it difficult. For a ten pound animal it takes two people to get the treatment done. We tried to wrap her in a blanket and the second time we did that she pulled her head in like she was a turtle and we had to wrestle her out of the blanket.

And the funny part is when it's over she runs to the shelf where we keep the treats and mewls for one because she learned quick that just like nail trims she get's a treat after the humans are done with being mean.

For Christmas I guess she decided to have mercy on us because she FINALLY seems to realize it's easier on all three of us if she holds still and just makes noisy protests. (Not to mention she get's her treat faster)

I sliced off a little of the Christmas ham for Little Peter, my cat, rubbed it all over a sock, then stuffed it in said sock. It troubled her to no end. Why does it smell good but taste so icky? She eventually gave up on it, so I pulled the meat out for her and she proceeded to parade around the house with her ham.

Hey people, Im so glad there is a cat thread, I love all kinds of cats big and small.

I have two cats at home, one girl (grey) & a boy (ginger) both desexed.

I would be lost without cats in my life because they are so cute & they do the funniest things.

xd.pngpoptartFINALTINY.giflaugh.gif

i like cats...they're really random...

at one point in time i had a stalker cat( my nabors cat kept following me)

and about thanksgiving break i learned i was allergic...sad.gif

No, it was a pretty decently sized piece of ham and she likes to drag things of such texture around and hide them. She did it twice before today..but maybe she'll surprise me and have ham breath. I'll check in a little bit.

^^

My cat loves to hide or important items, but shes weird, because she won't eat ham or steak or any of the good stuff.