Qwackie

Cats

You should try seeing what it's like where I live at rush hour. Yeah, the town centres a lot of people do walk & use public transport. But if you're not in a town public transport sucks, and you have to drive everywhere. There's one bus an hour from the place I live - and yet I'm a bare half an hour drive from the outskirts of London.

Added to that it's not roads that are busy all day that are the main danger to a cat - they work out pretty quickly that they just need to avoid that area. It's intermittantly busy roads that are the problem. You know - the quiet road with a school on it that gets no traffic for most of the day, but is hugely busy around 9am and 3pm. In conditions like that a cat will learn that the road is normally quiet (and thuis safe) and can get caught out by the sudden inrush of traffic.

Prettymuch every road around here is an intermittent traffic road, almost none in the morning once rush hour's over, flooded again with cars during the lunch rush then pretty quiet until 2, and flooded after than from 3 to 7 PM then quiet again.

Prettymuch every road around here is an intermittent traffic road, almost none in the morning once rush hour's over, flooded again with cars during the lunch rush then pretty quiet until 2, and flooded after than from 3 to 7 PM then quiet again.

That'd be the most dangerous kind. All the rescue centers I've worked for would only home to places with roads like that if there was acess to open countryside (or a big park or something) out the back of the house.

That'd be the most dangerous kind. All the rescue centers I've worked for would only home to places with roads like that if there was acess to open countryside (or a big park or something) out the back of the house.

Yeah x.x

Me and my roomies specifically are afraid to let our cats out and get very upset when they escape because we've got not only a bunch of roads like that but an intermittently active railroad less than 250 meters from the apartment.

I live in Australia, and we have a lotta leetle critters here...So, people usually keep cats inside.

There is a state...i can't remember where...where if a cat is found outside a house, it is illegal, and the cat is taken to the pound, due to cats predation to native critters.

Australia also has a MASSIVE feral cat problem. They are roaming the red center in general, and are destroying the population of small marsupials. They have also been apparently growing to massive sizes. (could be possible. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest)

I keep both my cats inside, and both are in great shape. They are fed twice a day (There is no, 'i'll just leave a bowl of food for fluffykins!'), and have a massive cat tree which they can play on. They have also got full run of the house, and will soon have a gigantic cat run to run around in.

My cats will never will be allowed to roam the streets

a) Because they'll most likely get eaten by the pitbull up the street

B) Have no road sense, and will get hit by a car most likely.

c) Cat fights = abscesses.

d) Bengals are hunters, and will eat whatever they can catch. And with Beetles record of catching mice, that would be a very bad plan.

Why do people let their cats roam anyway? Whats the point of having a pet if you can't interact with it?

Most cats which are let outside only come home for dinner. WHERE IS THE LOOOVEE??

Why do people let their cats roam anyway? Whats the point of having a pet if you can't interact with it?

Most cats which are let outside only come home for dinner. WHERE IS THE LOOOVEE??

lol. Yeah, right. You've obviously never met my cat. Or any of the cats we've owned. He comes running back home the moment he hears one of us get home from work. He's here, with us and under the feet, pretty much the entire time we're awake and in the house. He only really goes out at night, and when we're at work during the day.

I've been wanting to put my cats on a diet. *pokes my obease kitties* My mom's against it, "It's too expensive", "But what's the point of feeding them in only the morning and night?"

>_< She makes them eat from an automatic feeder.

I LOVE CATS!!!

My mom is scared of them. She won't let me get one sad.gif

I think tortoiseshells are soooo pretteh!

Diets are expensive? If anything I think they'd save money, because your cat isn't eating as much and thus the food lasts longer. Obese cats run the risk of diabetes, and an obese cat could be so fat because they have an overactive or underactive thyroid. Cats who are too fat often can't lick themselves clean when finished going to the bathroom, and get urine scalds and infections, or poo stuck in their butt-fur. On top of that, when jumping down from things they do considerable damage to their joints and bones because of all that weight.

Tell your mom that, Qwackie. And perhaps conspire with your vet the next visit to get him/her to tell your mom the dangers of having an overweight cat. That's what I did to my mom to make her understand that we can have furniture and a clawed cat in the same house.

My dad is like, "You're not responsible enough to have a cat."

I'm like, "But doesn't having a cat make me MORE responsible?"

Now I'm stuck with fish...>.<

KITTENS!!!

Cats may be scary sometimes, but kittens are always so cute and adorable...*dreamy sigh*

My dad is like, "You're not responsible enough to have a cat."

I'm like, "But doesn't having a cat make me MORE responsible?"

Now I'm stuck with fish...>.<

Not really.

Sorry, I remember when I was your age, and I wanted a puppy. I did the whole, "I'll walk it and feed it and bathe it and play with it and brush it and..." thing. Every parent has heard this, and most of them end up taking care of the pet when the kid won't.

I suppose you have a point...

Technically, cats are easier to take care of than dogs, though...

I suppose you have a point...

Technically, cats are easier to take care of than dogs, though...

How so?

They wash themselves, and groom themselves, so you don't have to bathe them as often...they don't make as much noise as dogs do...and you don't have to take them on walks.

But yes, they do claw up the furniture and everything wink.gif

They wash themselves, and groom themselves, so you don't have to bathe them as often...they don't make as much noise as dogs do...and you don't have to take them on walks.

But yes, they do claw up the furniture and everything wink.gif

Only if you let them. As for noise, you're probably generally right, but there are a lot of very vocal breeds. They do groom themselves, but if you get a long hair you will have to brush it, and then there's always the risk of hairballs. Even short hair cats can benefit from a brushing, and there are also many cats that enjoy walks but that kind of goes back to our earlier indoor/outdoor debate.

My favorite thing is that I don't have to let my cats out so they can go to the bathroom. Cats are great with litter boxes.

They're still a lot of responsibility, though.

My favorite thing is that I don't have to let my cats out so they can go to the bathroom. Cats are great with litter boxes.

They're still a lot of responsibility, though.

Only if you remember to clean it. wink.gif

At least if you forget, you will remember eventually...the smell gets kinda hard to ignore xd.png

lol, before you can get to that point the cat might find another bathroom. wink.gif Some cats are pretty finicky about it.

True.

Cats are cats...*sighs*

I'm trying to convince my parents now to let me be able to babysit my friend's cat. Then, after I show them I can handle it, I'll move on to actually being able to having a cat...*dreamy eyes*

But I probably won't be able to cure my mom's fear of cats.

True.

Cats are cats...*sighs*

I'm trying to convince my parents now to let me be able to babysit my friend's cat. Then, after I show them I can handle it, I'll move on to actually being able to having a cat...*dreamy eyes*

But I probably won't be able to cure my mom's fear of cats.

SHOVE THE CAT IN HER FACE.

MAKE HER LOVE IT.

>:I

Erm....

that would probably make her even more scared. Not to mention me grounded for a month. xd.png

Erm....

that would probably make her even more scared. Not to mention me grounded for a month. xd.png

MAKE HER LOVE IT.