Qwackie

Cats

Hm. I always thought pedigree was some special certificate that showed bloodlines and all that jazz x3 Cool, perhaps I will look into showing Maddy. Got any tips? |D I don't even know if there are cat shows here in California, but I guess I'll have to do some research.

pedigree can refer both to the documents outlining parentage, and to a cat of a specific breed. If you wanted to show in breed classes you'd need the paperwork documenting her 'pedigree', if you want to show her as a household pet you don't - and as she's clearly of a specific breed that would make her a pedigree pet.

@ 7Sins - thanks, I was being a little confused by that term as I've never heard it used here smile.gif

Where would I get one of those documents, since she was a shelter animal?

Where would I get one of those documents, since she was a shelter animal?

Unlikely that you can, I'm afraid. I mean you can always ask the shelter, or try to track down where she came from before she got there, but without knowing her ownership history working out exactly where she came from might be a little tricky. And ownership of a pedigree cat (at least in the UK) has to be legally transfered person-to-person with official documents - so if you can't contact whoever had her before hand you'll definitely (with an I, not an A) have trouble.

If the shelter is being un-helpful you could always try contacting a local breed club. They may or may not be able to help with registration documents, but they might be a good help in tracking down who bred her and what her registered name was (if she was registered - there are some people who will breed unregistered animals, and siamese are among the easiest to do it with because they're so distinctive. No one is going to question wether a colour pointed kitten is actualy a registered siamese when they buy it...).

It's 2am here and hubby has just had to take the cat to the emergency vets.

About an hour ago he got up to go to the toilet and he heard the cat (Jack) making a horrendous noise downstairs. When he got down there he found Jack collapsed on side, laboured breathing, yowling and yelping very loudly and looking very distressed. Shortly after that Jack vomited and then defecated where he was laid. Just after that he started foaming at the mouth.

Rang the emergency vet who thinks he might have been poisoned. She told us to bring him in. Obviously I've got to stay here as the kids are in bed so hubby has taken him.

Can't go back to bed, I'm just worried sick.

No idea. The vet did say that if he had caught a toad that could have poisoned him as they have toxins in their skin.

Still waiting for hubby to get back so none the wiser at the moment.

I need some honest facts and opinions here.

Is it rare for a cat to get nerve paralysis? Do they get it at all? Can they survive from it if they do get it?

Anyone? I had to take my cat to the vet and this is what he told me my cat had.

I have two cats - Dobo and Oreo, we rescued them both. One moment they are best friends, cleaning each other then they are fighting. Prolly play fighting but still.

user posted image

Dobo is on the right, Oreo is on the left.

user posted image

She was attacking my pillow.

Anyone? I had to take my cat to the vet and this is what he told me my cat had.

As far as I'm aware it depends on how severely damaged the nerve in question is. The cat could recover full use of whichever limb it is, or an amputation could be required if the nerve is so badly damaged it will never recover. Your vet can tell you far more than we can.

Sola - hoping and praying for your cat sad.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Sorry if the pictures are huge or if the lighting is sort of bad. Had to work with what I had!

Sola - hoping and praying for your cat sad.gif

Thanks Tiki,

They admitted him to the animal hospital overnight. They think that he has asthma and it was an asthma attack. He's had steroids and anti-biotics and they phoned us to collect him at lunchtime.

We're pretty tired; Mr Flar3 didn't get back home until 3.30am and we were up at 7am with the kids.

Jack is OK but quiet and subdued; he's slept most of the afternoon but he's eaten a little bit. They aren't going to treat him for the asthma just yet - it's a wait and see what happens. But if he has another attack then he'll have to go on inhalers - deep joy, bet that will be fun.

I'm just glad he is OK.

Hope it doesn't happen to your cat again, sola.

I just remembered; when we first brought Widget home (OMG BLACK FLUFFINESS SQUEE was pretty much my reaction xd.png) she had worms and we had to give her a paste to remove them. I was doing it a lot, and then on the last day, dad positions her head and opens her mouth, and just as I push the entire syringe pusher down, she tips her head and it goes all over her head. X3 Widget covered in orangish paste. Did feel a little bad for her, though. She couldn't clean her head at the time. (I think she got abandoned by her mother, so she got picked up by Saving One Life. They were going to put her down. But we saved her. ^>^)

Yesterday or the day before, I went with my mom to get cat food (we're leaving for two weeks soon) and I saw an adorable tortoiseshell kitten. She could even groom her head, which kind of surprised me, because Widget couldn't do that at first. Then I looked at her tag on the window. Her name is Piano. xd.png

~Cavey

Just got home from stewarding at the SCA/OCA shows. Lovely cats! Especially loved the Seal Tortie Tabby Point that took Best Siamese Kitten!

I have 4 cats (well more one has babies) but they are outside cats and they don't have names for most of them

there are the two younger, almost 1 year old and 2 males,

user posted image

there's is one female, almost 2 years old, with kittens she had last summer

user posted image

and the last one, a female too, almost 5 years old, sadly she don't see from the left eye, the only one with a name: Pistache, ans she's the three others's mom

user posted image

Everyone here has such lovely kitties! (Of course I would say that, I love cats!) I find cats easier to 'figure out' than other animals, but probably from experience with them. And they also have such fun personalities and are quite a great deal of fun to watch and live with.

My cat is an indoor cat as well, but he keeps making a break for the door. I feel bad, but I can't let him out. Getting a bit tiresome catching him though.

Animal planet's "My Cat From Hell" had a suggestion for cats that like to bolt. They said if you have a cat the like to break for the door, keep a keychain-style laser pointer with you to shine on the floor the moment you open it coming in or just before going out and wave it around to distract them.

Hubby has just dashed off to the emergency vet again with Jack. He's having another asthma attack. sad.gif

Sola, oh no! Hope your cat's okay. That stinks.

Does anyone have any suggestion for a cat that likes to claw walls? The marks aren't visible but it's getting very annoying when Widget is walking on my desk and stretches out on the wall, clawing it while she is standing on her hind legs. It's cute but bad, and I want to stop it.

~Cavey

Just had Haplo down the emergency vet ourselves. Turns out he has a fever, and the vet has him on anti-biotics. Just as well I *know* my cats, though, as she said if he'd been left another day or so he'd have needed to be on a drip. Apparently I caught it really early.

Fingers cross the broad spectrum anti-biotic will perk him up, otherwise it's back to the vet on Friday.

Hope your cat gets better, Tiki. So many sick cats, I hope Widget doesn't get sick while the whole family is on vacation. sad.gif

~Cavey