We have one cat from the pound, one my dad got from his co-worker, two we got from a friend (with their brother who was hit by a car sad.gif ), one from a box of free kittens, and one that is a Siamese from a breeder(he couldn't be in a cat show or anything though, as he is mostly traditional with a little bit of modern. AKA graceful (looking. He is actually very clumsy. VERY clumsy.) But not super-thin. He also is fairly quiet, but his meow is very dramatic and mournful. You will here this when he gets himself stuck in the basement.

We have two stray cats coming to our house right now, as in actually coming inside. There is a tabby and a gray one.

I've had experiences with stray cats in the past. :>

Moonlight, Fafnir, two nameless kittens... that sort of thing.

My neighbor WILL NOT SPAY or NEUTER their two cats. The female seems to have a new litter every few months, and the feral cat population in our neighborhood has EXPLODED because they don't find any of them homes or anything. I would take the damn things to the humane society to get spayed and neutered, but I can't catch them!

My neighbor WILL NOT SPAY or NEUTER their two cats. The female seems to have a new litter every few months, and the feral cat population in our neighborhood has EXPLODED because they don't find any of them homes or anything. I would take the damn things to the humane society to get spayed and neutered, but I can't catch them!

Try trapping them. You can rent some traps from the humane society (just tell them you are doing a catch and release for some strays) and bait it with some can cat food and you'll catch them in no time.

We did catch and release spay/neuters for all of the neighborhood strays. We usually had no problem with trapping them.

The TNR people I know around me actually went out and purposefully caught their neighbor's cats and got them spayed to end the kitten problem. They figured they were going to end up taking care of the cats anyways, so it just made the most sense.

Trapping is surprisingly easy. I've tried it twice and was amazed at how quickly it worked. Both cats I caught I'd never have managed by hand because they absolutely did not trust people.

dry.gif I wish people could be fined for not spaying their cats and letting them run free and do things like that. It'd solve a lot of problems.

~~

Released my second TNR kitty tonight! Quite proud of myself!

On New Years, I walked onto the porch. A fat cat walks by. Think it was expectant.

On a rainy day, my mom opens the door to do something. Guess what's sitting on the porch and could've come in? A kitty smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I've actually seen a few cats roaming the neighborhood. I did get to pet my neighbor's cat once. smile.gif And then there was this one cat who jumped onto our fence.

Gah. Cats are so cute. I'm going to go to a pound for one soon with my family. I think that if I see twenty more cats I'll explode from the cuteness overload. /sarcasm

But our kitty will definitely be female. Males are just kind of...yuck, 'cause they spray.

~Cavey

Edited by Cavedragon49990

I LOVE cats.

Especially hairless ones.

Though my dad is allergic, so we can't get one.

(Though he's moved out, so...IDK I find it a little unfair :\)

And my favorite wild ones?

Um...

Lynx, Snow Leopards, Servals.

Just a few xd.png

I wish I had one :c

But... Meh.

Oh well.

I'll just have to settle with drawing them and playing with friend's cats.

X3

Is it true torties can only be females? /feels like a noob

No, apparently not. (they're called calicoes too) Someone said earlier in the thread that they are mostly female, but they CAN be male. (Used to believe they HAD to be female-blame the book I read, not me.) Tortoiseshells/calicoes tend to be female, so if you want a female cat, look for calicoes. But check just in case!

~Cavey

Is it true torties can only be females? /feels like a noob

Generally yes. That distinct tortie pattern is linked to two X-chromosomes. It's sort of complex, but it boils down to the fact that a cat has to have two Xs to have the tortie color. It has to do with the X-inactivation phenomenon, which happens in all mammalian females; one or the other X is turned off almost at random in each cell early in development. You can get a male tortie, but it's rare, and they're generally sterile (their genotype has to be XXY, which is Klinefelter syndrome, and in most cases the imbalance causes sterility).

... okay, I went nerd all over this post, sorry. Bottom line is male torties are so rare most vets don't even see one. smile.gif

No, apparently not. (they're called calicoes too) Someone said earlier in the thread that they are mostly female, but they CAN be male. (Used to believe they HAD to be female-blame the book I read, not me.) Tortoiseshells/calicoes tend to be female, so if you want a female cat, look for calicoes. But check just in case!

~Cavey

Ninja'd! Thanks for saying it in a much simpler manner than I could. wink.gif

I miss my cats. I had to move and they're being cared for back at the old house with my best friend. I miss my little gray kitten sad.gif

Edited by Raff

Males are just kind of...yuck, 'cause they spray.

Actually, only males marking territory will spray and if you get them neutered they will generally stop.

I have three cats, two male one female, and I've never had any problem with either of the males spraying. All three are indoor only cats and all three were from the shelter, but I never have had an issue at all with them going anywhere but in their litter boxes.

Actually, only males marking territory will spray and if you get them neutered they will generally stop.

I have three cats, two male one female, and I've never had any problem with either of the males spraying. All three are indoor only cats and all three were from the shelter, but I never have had an issue at all with them going anywhere but in their litter boxes.

Un-altered female will also sometimes spray while they're in season. But yeah, as a general rule getting your cats fixed (which everyone just keeping them as pets should be doing anyway) will stop pretty much all problems with spraying. If you've still got one spraying after it's been fixed than it has some serious anxiety issues - and you either need to look hard at how many cats you are keeping, or at wether you're a suitable cat owner at all!

My cat drags stuff around the house.

My mom's cat has this long snake toy that he grabs and drags all over the place while simultaneously yowling his head off and pausing every few seconds to lay right on top of it, only to get back up and do it again.

Boo is very strange, and he suffers from anxiety. :( He tends to tear his hair out when Mom goes away and he'll toss his toys everywhere and scream as loudly as possible until he finds her. The vet put him on antidepressants. Poor cat.

I hate dogs. I HATE them. That's why I love cats so much. They're so fuzzy and adorable... <3 Big or small, I don't care. As long as it's a cat, I love it. =^.^=

I don't need my own cat, next door's has decided she lives here anyway.

She even puts up with the (soft) dog we have!

I love cats well any animal really! I love this statement though

It always make me laugh

Dogs have owners

Cats have staff laugh.gif

My Daughters cat has just had Kittens but I can't have one as I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier Dog and he doesn't mix well with cats sad.gif

Cats have staff? Indeed, they do... laugh.gif

We have one cat here at home, a normal European short-haired cat. He's very old already; I can remember choosing him and our other cat from the kittens at my granny's farm when I was only one year old.

The cat's now 15 years old and knows exactly how to get our attention. In the morning he's already miaowing loudly demanding for his food, same in the evenings. And when he wants attention - being stroked and such - he can act very much like a meerkat standing on his rears.

The other cat - probably - died two years ago, I don't know why or where because we never found him again. Esje was clearly feeling very lonely, he started asking our attention more and more.

Anyways, he looks a little strange. He once lost half his tail so his tail is very short... but he doesn't seem to have trouble with it anymore.

Un-altered female will also sometimes spray while they're in season. But yeah, as a general rule getting your cats fixed (which everyone just keeping them as pets should be doing anyway) will stop pretty much all problems with spraying. If you've still got one spraying after it's been fixed than it has some serious anxiety issues - and you either need to look hard at how many cats you are keeping, or at wether you're a suitable cat owner at all!

Years ago when I had my very first cat, she was a formerly stray (we spayed her immediately) female who occasionally sprayed. Generally it was a sign that she had a UTI/bladder infection. Our vet at the time had no idea why that might happen, but happened enough to make my whole family figure there was some correlation. We'd notice her spray, haul her to the vet, and sure enough, UTI, here's her prescription and she'd stop spraying in a day or two.

Unfortunately, we had her for nearly 10 years of this routine, and my mom would confine her in the (unfinished) basement while the spraying was happening, so the carpets wouldn't be ruined. 35 years after kitty crossed the bridge, my mom's basement still smells of cat pee on humid summer days.

Dogs have owners

Cats have staff laugh.gif

So true. People always say that they have pet cats, but the truth is, cats have pet humans. xd.png

Unfortunately, my cat has taken a liking to biting and scratching me. He's fine when other people are around, but when they leave, and I try to pet him, he'll bite into my hand. It seems to be play-biting, but it can still hurt. Does anyone know a way to break him out of the habit?

I used to have an intact male cat who would roam everywhere at night. He got into fights constantly, often coming home covered in battle scars. One of his ears did not have a tip because of his fights. He was a tough cookie, but I miss him. One day he just didn't come home.

We recently got another cat because the mouse population in our house exploded; he is a neutered male, and is the offspring of a feral momma cat and a tame daddy cat. He was raised by hand, but before the owners found him he got the tip of one of his ears frozen off. Why do we keep getting male cats with half an ear? It's like fate...

I love the kitties, but, I just have to admit it, I like dogs better. *hides*