Qwackie

Cats

Here are a couple of photos I took of lions at the Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines, IA

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk139/c...r/zoo/lions.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk139/c...r/zoo/lion1.jpg

I had a cat, Friday, who went to Rainbow Bridge in February, 2006, having died of a heart failure quite unexpectedly. About 18 months later, I adopted Honey Bear, a Husky/Shepherd mix. When she's no longer with me and has joined Friday at the bridge, I'll probably foster cats or dogs before actually adopting either.

I have seen a (very small) handful of orange females but never a male calico, yet. sleep.gif

That's because male calicoes hardly exist. In fact, I don't even think there is a male calico in the world.

Calicoes are domestic shorthairs. If I could get one, I wouldn't turn down the offer. They are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo adorable. Reading the book "Callie" totally turned me onto calico.

~Cavey

(btw. Callie is a book from The Kitty Corner, by the author of The Puppy Place.)

I'm one of those people who dislike cats.

I used to love them... now I just can't stand them. I do have a cat and I think she's the most annoying thing in the world, but my parents love her so I can only complain silently.

I generally don't like cats because: I don't like when they lick themselves constantly. I'm aware they bathe themselves but I'd rather bathe an animal myself than let it cover itself in gross saliva 24/7, then rub its own butt up against you after it's licked it. I bathe my parents cat because it keeps the dander down and our allergies under control. I also don't like that cats sleep all day and dislike playing... they don't like to be picked up and held and I can't take them out for a nice stroll on the sidewalk. They are not loyal nor caring--at least the cats I've known in my life. The cat that we own is terrified of the outside so she can't go to the restroom outside. I dislike litter boxes and cleaning them. I'd rather clean a speck of poo from a dog than have to smell cat litter and scoop pee daily. These are my opinions though so... please don't tell me I'm wrong.

I'm just a dog person now. I've gotten more enjoyment from owning a dog than a cat.

I'm just a dog person now. I've gotten more enjoyment from owning a dog than a cat.

Me too. I thought I was a cat person, but then I got a dog and I just find cats and the cat world to be kind of boring.

Does anyone else have a cat that drools? When my one cat gets all snuggly, he drools all over me. It's grossss.

Cats can be extremely loyal. My cat loves me to death and I love her, when I do get to spend time with her she is all over me and used to sleep with me every night. It kills me that she has to go to a new home. When my mom passed away, I had to move in with my grandparents and my aunt took me and my sister's cat but she doesn't want to keep them anymore so she is finding them a new home. I've never had a bond with a cat like I do with my cat and I doubt I ever will again. She is one of a kind.

I prefer cats over dogs any day. Dogs take too much time to train and I just can't stand anything about them. I mean, some dogs are OK but most just annoy me. I also used to have a dog before I moved but I had to find her a new home too. She was the only dog I really liked but she still kind of got on my nerves sometimes. tongue.gif

That's because male calicoes hardly exist. In fact, I don't even think there is a male calico in the world.

Calicoes are domestic shorthairs. If I could get one, I wouldn't turn down the offer.

You might possibly have wanted to read a bit further on from the post you quoted...

Male calicos do exist. But they all have genetic abnormalities, because the orange gene is sex linked, so a calico cat has to have two X genes. A male calico is noramlly XXY.

Calico is not a pattern restricted to domestic shorthairs either. It's present in every single breed that the dominant O gene is present in. If you can get a breed in a 'red' or 'ginger' version, then you can get it in calico.

I also don't like that cats sleep all day and dislike playing... they don't like to be picked up and held and I can't take them out for a nice stroll on the sidewalk. They are not loyal nor caring--at least the cats I've known in my life.

Don't decide to dislike an entire species because of the bahviour of a few individuals. There are masses of cats out there that are very people oriented, that love to cuddle and are loyal. I've known cats that *know* when you are sad and will come to you, purring, to help cheer you up. There are plenty of cats that like to play (I've owned several that would actualy play fetch) and cats can also be taken on walks on leads.

Is anyone else here active in TNR projects? I've gotten the stray that I regularly feed taken care of, and I'm working on doing the same for the other strays in the neighborhood as the time and the money come.

I adore cats! smile.gif Dogs will give their trust and loyalty freely...you have to earn a cat's! Also, you own your dog...your cat owns you! Dog's ask 'What can I do for you'?, while cat's ask 'What can you do for me'? >D lol

We have a big, huge hairball of a cat named Snoogums. He tolerates us very well. He's so big and fluffy someone is always picking him up for a cuddle, and when he lays on his back with all four paws in the air, he looks the size of a tank! He likes to stalk us, and jump out of hiding and grab our ankles, he comes when we call him, and loves to be brushed...he really gets into it! ha ha I love dogs and cats for different reasons. I'd love to get another Maine Coon one day, or a Rag Doll, and a Scottish Fold is a must have, too... smile.gif

user posted image

I love the floppy ears on the Scottish Fold! smile.gif

And Maine Coon's are giants! biggrin.gif

user posted image

Edited by MedievalMystic

I adore cats! smile.gif Dogs will give their trust and loyalty freely...you have to earn a cat's! Also, you own your dog...your cat owns you! Dog's ask 'What can I do for you'?, while cat's ask 'What can you do for me'? >D lol

We have a big, huge hairball of a cat named Snoogums. He tolerates us very well. He's so big and fluffy someone is always picking him up for a cuddle, and when he lays on his back with all four paws in the air, he looks the size of a tank! He likes to stalk us, and jump out of hiding and grab our ankles, he comes when we call him, and loves to be brushed...he really gets into it! ha ha I love dogs and cats for different reasons. I'd love to get another Maine Coon one day, or a Rag Doll, and a Scottish Fold is a must have, too... smile.gif

user posted image

And Maine Coon's are giants! biggrin.gif

user posted image

Oh my morb so pretty.

I get asked a lot at work how Mewlie got her name. I find it funny very few people ask about Mitzu who was named after a fictional animal but Mewlie who likes to go 'mew, mew, mew,' stumps them.

How did anybody here name pick cat names.

Mellow was the 'calmest kitten of the litter'. :'D

He likes to completely destroy everything in the house, especially faces and toilet paper.

and a Scottish Fold is a must have, too... smile.gif

Except for the fact that the same gene that causes the ears to fold also causes joint problems, which can be severe if a cat has two copies of the fold gene. There's a reason the breed cannot be registered in the UK.

Except for the fact that the same gene that causes the ears to fold also causes joint problems, which can be severe if a cat has two copies of the fold gene. There's a reason the breed cannot be registered in the UK.

Poor kitties.

I think purebred cats are adorable, but there are so many strays in my area that are looking for a good home. I don't think I could, in all good conscience, go out to the store and buy a purebred cat even if I could afford it!

I hope to adopt a stray that's been staying with a no-kill shelter for the past six years. Poor dear, I know she's in need of a good home and I am happy to have a chance to give it to her! Between her and the stray kitty I feed, I think I have my mission for kitties to take into my home for now. smile.gif

Edited by terradi

i like cats a lot. we had two cats but one of them got mauled by 2 pit bulls and died. after that the other started to pee all over the house, making my dad very angry and finally he took her to the pound because she wouldn't stop.

Poor kitties.

I think purebred cats are adorable, but there are so many strays in my area that are looking for a good home. I don't think I could, in all good conscience, go out to the store and buy a purebred cat even if I could afford it!

I hope to adopt a stray that's been staying with a no-kill shelter for the past six years. Poor dear, I know she's in need of a good home and I am happy to have a chance to give it to her! Between her and the stray kitty I feed, I think I have my mission for kitties to take into my home for now. smile.gif

Honestly, you shouldn't buy a purebred cat at a store anyway, you should work directly with the breeder.

Honestly, you shouldn't buy a purebred cat at a store anyway, you should work directly with the breeder.

I believe that. I've heard so much about puppy mills on the news, but never anything about the same being true for cats. I can't figure out if it's just not as well-publicized or if it's less common.

Any thoughts?

I have 2 Himalayan cats. One Female, and one male.

My female is a blue point Himalayan, named Sophia. She is 8 years old and turning 9 in April.

user posted image

user posted image

She doesn't like her picture taken..so i have few pictures of her.

My male is a seal point Himalayan, named Samson, after the god in the bible. He is 3 and will be turning 4 later this year in September.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

He's the more social one of the two. Haha.

Here's them together:

user posted image

Edited by Sandface

I believe that. I've heard so much about puppy mills on the news, but never anything about the same being true for cats. I can't figure out if it's just not as well-publicized or if it's less common.

Any thoughts?

Yes, cats are in just the same state as dogs in "kitten mills." Backyard breeding in cats is common because a lot of people don't seem to understand that you need to spay and neuter your cats, especially if you let them roam. I'm going to get off topic, but anyways yes, there is an abhorrent amout of kitten mills. Purebred cats see this a lot because they are worth more money.

Lately, since I'm a bengal fan, I've seen a lot of people passing off tabbies as bengals and selling a normal cat for hundreds of dollars. To a trained eye a tabby looks nothing like a bengal, but people who get caught up in the idea of the breed usually don't do enough research to be able to identify one correctly. It goes back to do your research and investigate breeders carefully.

Don't decide to dislike an entire species because of the bahviour of a few individuals. There are masses of cats out there that are very people oriented, that love to cuddle and are loyal. I've known cats that *know* when you are sad and will come to you, purring, to help cheer you up. There are plenty of cats that like to play (I've owned several that would actualy play fetch) and cats can also be taken on walks on leads.

Exactly.

My sister's cat was so loyal and affectionate that when my sister would pretend to cry (hide her face in her hands and make sobbing noises) her cat would come running over and start rubbing on her and licking her, trying to make her feel better. And she was so playful that even at the age of 10, she would still run around like a kitten chasing a peice of string. tongue.gif

My cat is extremely loyal. When she was living with me, she was always laying somewhere within sight of me. Even if she wasn't laying with me, she would always be somewhere in the room where she could keep an eye on me. And she slept with me every single night, snuggled up next to my back or cuddled up in my arm, resting her head on my hand.

We also had a cat that would walk with us outside. He didn't need a leash or anything, he would just follow us wherever we went. And if he started straying off, we would just call him and he would come running. He was like a dog in a cat's body. xd.png

Edited by tikigurl91

I have 2 Himalayan cats. One Female, and one male.

My female is a blue point Himalayan, named Sophia. She is 8 years old and turning 9 in April.

user posted image

They are also charging lasers.

Yes, cats are in just the same state as dogs in "kitten mills." Backyard breeding in cats is common because a lot of people don't seem to understand that you need to spay and neuter your cats, especially if you let them roam. I'm going to get off topic, but anyways yes, there is an abhorrent amout of kitten mills. Purebred cats see this a lot because they are worth more money.

Lately, since I'm a bengal fan, I've seen a lot of people passing off tabbies as bengals and selling a normal cat for hundreds of dollars. To a trained eye a tabby looks nothing like a bengal, but people who get caught up in the idea of the breed usually don't do enough research to be able to identify one correctly. It goes back to do your research and investigate breeders carefully.

Oh believe me ... I know all about the spay/neuter problem. We've got a lot of strays in my neighborhood. I live in Japan, and cats are often considered a nuisance here. There are four or so who hang out in front of my house and at the temple across the street from me. I moved in in October and I inherited feeding duties for one of them. I got him neutered in January and I just caught and shipped a second one off to the vet today. It's that time of the year where they're out looking for girlfriends. ^^ I volunteer for a group that does this. Well, mostly I come to them with my problems, but I guess that makes me a volunteer!

I wish I could figure out where the girl is that all these boys seem so interested in! I'll be pulling kitten duty in the spring and trying to find them before something eats them. But I'd prefer to nip the problem in the bud and just find the female cats now and get them spayed. Much easier.

Right now, my house is being remodeled. I have tarps up covering the path to my backyard as we try and repair the damage done by termites to my very old house. Once I have the ability, I'll be taking in cats from the volunteer group. If I ever have the time and ability, I'd love to foster kittens, but I work full time, which really puts a lot of limitations on what I can do. So, for now, I just have my heart set on one specific cat from the group. She's been with them for five years, looking for a home. I can't wait to be the one who gives it to her. <3

I actually dislike cats, but as an animal lover my dislike is actually less of a "Dislike" dislike and more of a "Out of all the animals in the world, a cat is not the first one I'd actively seek out to add to my home" dislike. But reading about backyard breeders made me think of an experience I had.

I used to volunteer at an animal shelter, and a guy came in wanting two cats. He answered all the questions correctly, seemed okay, fawned over the kitties, was careful to teach his children how to handle them correctly, and went home happy. A few months later he comes back, angry as all get out and demanding to know what was wrong with the cats he adopted. Turns out he adopted the cats in order to breed kittens and sell them, not realizing we spay and neuter every animal that comes in, and he couldn't figure out why they weren't producing. It would be funny if it weren't so darn disturbing.

I have had cats before. Several, in fact. All of them I found as kittens, trapped in garbage bags at the side of the road. Whenever I see a garbage bag, I stop just to make sure there's nothing alive inside it. Some people I simply don't understand, but then there are those who make me feel ill. What drives people to do some of the things they do? I just don't get it.

Edited by Goslander

Apparently some people don't understand that not all people want to breed their pets. X3

I have two cats, both American short hairs. And we have more dogs than cats in this neighborhood, so I'm not surprised that I rarely see them around (only once or twice every few months; sometimes not at all).

My favorite animal is a snow leopard, not a cat. But all the same I like having a cat as a pet. I've had years of experience taking care of them as pets, considering I'm the one who usually has to feed them in the mornings. I just hate it when people say, with no experience at all, even if they've been near a stray cat, that "dogs are the best animals of all and cats suck".

wouldn't dream of buying a bred kitteh X3

meh cat: user posted image

we rescued her from the pound where she was about to be put down :/ she's polydactyl, so she can hold pencils xd.png

Edited by connatay

i like cats a lot. we had two cats but one of them got mauled by 2 pit bulls and died. after that the other started to pee all over the house, making my dad very angry and finally he took her to the pound because she wouldn't stop.

That is so sad! :c Why couldn't she use the litter box? Was it, like, an illness or something?