DaniBoo

Online Dating

Online dating is for people who aren't attractive enough to pick up normally. You can use photoshop here at least.

Not always. People tell me I'm cute all the time IRL, but for me, I have trust issues with people IRL and automatically assume they just want something from me--because I have difficulties communicating face to face with people I don't already know. If I say three words in a three hour span I'm doing good. But give me that same person on MSN and I'll talk with them all night. Once I get to know them online, then I can become more comfortable speaking to them in person.

If people want to date online, I'm cool with that. I just don't feel like I could pull it off myself (or any kind of relationship, really). Sometimes it will work out, sometimes it won't. Sometimes your partner's a creepy rapist stalker. But hey, you're taking the same risks in a relationship with someone in real life.

Ugh! I can't even hold a long relationship online! Me and my BF online broke - up With me! 1 month together! ERRR! He just sends me an email saying why he dumped me! WHAT A JERK! I`m cursed with bad romance! And Juliano, if you ever read this, I HATE YOU! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Actually, there is almost the same chance of meeting someone who turns to the worse afterwards even when you started face-to-face.

Oh of course! It just seems a bit easier to avoid and reject face-to-face. At least to me anyways while online if you haven't seen a picture of the person yet(and if the one they showed you was even real) you can just keep going thinking it's all going to turn out great and grand only to suffer big time in the end when the big meeting finally happens... I honestly don't see too much of a difference really just that it's riskier as it's easier to hide who you truly are online while in person a faquade can be easily seen through depending on the person.

Oh of course! It just seems a bit easier to avoid and reject face-to-face. At least to me anyways while online if you haven't seen a picture of the person yet(and if the one they showed you was even real) you can just keep going thinking it's all going to turn out great and grand only to suffer big time in the end when the big meeting finally happens... I honestly don't see too much of a difference really just that it's riskier as it's easier to hide who you truly are online while in person a faquade can be easily seen through depending on the person.

Aye, aye.

Actually, reminds me about how I got to know one guy in the summer. Basically, he found me on a dating site (shush, I was bored) and proposed we don't keep a long, platonic internet conversation but go on a date, which went pretty fine and seems like he might be suited for what I am looking for right now (no serious attachments, all that jazz). Anyway, somewhere along the road we got on a conversation about how people often lie on dating sites about their age, looks etc. and mentioned how he had gone on a date with someone who claimed to be 28 and had sent a bad quality photo, but the person who turned up was definitely 45 years old. Well-groomed for her age, but, as he said "come on, the same way a guy could've showed up and said "Yeah, I'm probably not what you expected, but give me a try as a friend, I'm a really nice person"".

Oh, to add a random bit of advice, if you meet someone whom you know from online, make sure that it's during the light part of the day and preferably in a public place for the first time. Just as a precaution.

Edited by lightbird

Oh, to add a random bit of advice, if you meet someone whom you know from online, make sure that it's during the light part of the day and preferably in a public place for the first time. Just as a precaution.

This is the rule you must keep in mind if you're going to date online.

I found my first bf ever from RPG forum about one year ago and because of a long distance, we can see each other just 2-4 times in year. Of course it hurts that I can't see him whenever I want, but I trust him and I'm sure that there comes the day when we move together or something wub.gif

When you start online dating, you just must remember that safety comes first. Instead of going online on a dating site and askin if that random guy there want to meet right now, it's better to have him/her is msn first, talk with him/her and meet when you feel like it's safe. And like lightbird said, always make sure that the first-time meeting is during the light part of the day and in a public place. That way you can get help from other people if there is any problem with your date.

I found my first bf ever from RPG forum about one year ago and because of a long distance, we can see each other just 2-4 times in year. Of course it hurts that I can't see him whenever I want, but I trust him and I'm sure that there comes the day when we move together or something wub.gif

Awwww! Thats so sweet!

My instinctive reaction would be "Er, no. Wouldn't try it myself." Too many horror stories, I guess...

But thinking about it, I have met so many friends online - including the closest friend I have ever had, who I've been meeting in person several times a year for a few years now, despite living halfway across the country from her. So I certainly wouldn't discount the possibility of developing truly deep, lasting relationships (including romantic ones) online, which would then translate well into RL.

I still don't think I would ever go for deliberately seeking someone out online with the intention of becoming romantically involved, but I can see something developing along the way. And honestly, I think I would have a hard time being involved with a guy I couldn't communicate with through writing easily. I tend to feel more comfortable expressing myself (and especially with sharing more important/deep things) through writing initially. *shrugs*

So yeah, I guess having a relationship initiate online is a possibility for me.

I've never done it myself and I don't know if I'm the type that a LDR would jive with in the first place, but if you find someone you are attracted to online, I don't think there's much harm in going for it. Seconding all the precautions when it comes to meeting them in real life though, of course!

I don't have a problem with it, as long as you make sure you actually see each other first so as to make sure you don't get creepy people pretending to be kids :<

If I had a problem with it, I'd be a hypocrite technically, lol. Despite being only 15 and having never gone on an actual dating site XD

Edited by Emerald_Shadowclaw

I don't have a problem with it, as long as you make sure you actually see each other first so as to make sure you don't get creepy people pretending to be kids :<

If I had a problem with it, I'd be a hypocrite technically, lol. Despite being only 15 and having never gone on an actual dating site xd.png

Dating sites aren't really for minors in the first place.

I know it's possible, and I know it has a chance of turning out badly.

I've had an online bf and an rl bf. The story is long and depressing, so I won't get into it, but I loved them both. Three guesses which one I want to see and which one I'd punch in the face if given the chance.

I would prefer future dating to be in person, just because I adore affection and sex, and *hugs* doesn't cut it sometimes. I want someone to cuddle and make out with. But for the right person...I'd do a LDR again damn fast.

Eh, I don't mind getting to know someone online, but if we were to consider a relationship, there should be a guarantee that we'd meet on a semi-regular basis. Also because I just plain love cuddling with a loved one, though I'm not a generally cuddly person towards everybody.

I find internet hugs depressing. :<

I fully support online relationships. It doesn't matter where you meet, it's how you fit together and how much you care about one another.

You are just as likely to meet someone dangerous face to face as you are online. I say online dating is nice if you're more shy to do the stuff face-to-face. You get to exchange emails, IMs, webcam chats, etc and get to know the person without fighting to say words in person. If you want to meet face-to-face, then you can do that.

Meeting anyone for the first time, face-to-face or online, in a public area is a good choice. Just because you are dating in person doesn't mean there's less risk involved. Anyone can hide behind a mask.

I've known several people to successfully have online relationships and get married. <3 It's great to meet people you otherwise wouldn't have met if you were choosing from people in your own area. I say online relationships expand the fishing pond of potential love interests. happy.gif

I have no issue with online relationships, but they can be more anonymous and therefore more creepy. There could be some 50 year old guy posing as a 20 year old girl online if he wanted. No one could prove otherwise without meeting the person, and that's just not a good idea if you're being deceived.

I have no issue with online relationships, but they can be more anonymous and therefore more creepy. There could be some 50 year old guy posing as a 20 year old girl online if he wanted. No one could prove otherwise without meeting the person, and that's just not a good idea if you're being deceived.

Web cams.

There's a reason GIRL is an acronym, you know. tongue.gif

(I'm joking, people.)

Although etymologically, "girl" used to be a term for any child, male or female. So if you tell any kid that "You throw like a girl," then you're right.

Back OT, I don't have anything against online relationships, but I don't think I'd carry one on myself. I couldn't stand not knowing who the person really was who it said it was.

After being in online relationships I would never do it again mainly because in most cases there is little to no chance of actually meeting the person in real life. Personally I think that if you do meet someone that you really enjoy talking to online then maybe just keep it as just friends especially if you have no intention of ever going to whatever state or country they might live in at the time.

My case is a little special in that the person I'm with now I did meet online, but I was content staying friends even though I was planning on moving to Denver before I found out he also lived there. I took a trip up to Denver during the summer of '07, hung out and eventually ended up moving in with him. We've been happily dating for almost four years now. Also before I made the trip up to Denver I had been talking with him over the phone for several months before hand.

Online dating is fine I guess, but I just don't like online singles ads. So many of them reek of desperation and/or are peppered with linguistic atrocities. And what about those awkward pictures? Eep.

Online dating is fine I guess, but I just don't like online singles ads. So many of them reek of desperation and/or are peppered with linguistic atrocities. And what about those awkward pictures? Eep.

Ohgod this. Especially on facebook. I don't even want to think about how many are spam or fake.

Online dating is fine as long as you are careful. The perfect guy/girl could turn out to be a murderer. However I have also heard a lit of cases where online dating worked out so it is possible for things to end happily. I guess I would say that people should rely in their gut. If it's saying that somethings wrong they should listen

To me it's not so good to start a serious relationship online, but to meet friends and stuff it's okay. I mean, I've met so many friends here on Dragcave~!

Meeting people online is okay.... DATING online is... not right.