DaniBoo

Online Dating

thats cool. biggrin.gif But that doesn't happen to everyone. I tried an online dating thing once but was told by my mom that I wasn't ready yet to be looking into it. I rather marry someone I know in real life anyways. (I probably won't date, but I will court)

I've seen couples get together this way- via Internet- and, as far as I've concerned, the first one that came to mind has been happily married for a bit more than a handful of years by now.

I myself have not dated online, but I do have a few good friends I got to knew on the 'net before I met them in person.

I guess that it sums up as me thinking well of it, no? rolleyes.gif

-Just know to arrange your first face-to-face meeting in a way that avoids unpleasant surprises.

Edited by Shienvien

I met my boyfriend on Maplestory four years ago, after 10 months of 'dating' we finally met, it went really well. Maybe eight months later we moved in together and have been together ever since. You need to play it safe, have other people in your life know about it in case something goes wrong. I like to think there are plenty of normal people out there and not just 'online pervs' as my mom would say.

It happens. I've got two very good friends who fell in love with someone online. One of the couples broke up after a few years and the other is still going after a bit over a year. I fell in love with someone online a few years ago through a forum we both went to (I never in a bazillion years expected to fall in love on a forum xd.png) and although it didn't work out it's alright. You have to have a LOT of honesty and communication I think or it'll never work. More so than offline relationships.

-Just know to arrange your first face-to-face meeting in a way that avoids unpleasant surprises.

This. Discuss all the possibly unpleasant things you might otherwise find out when meeting face-to-face, if you don't want your bubble to burst.

Like how I was communicating with one guy during summer, we met last month and it turned out that he's a chain smoker with obviously not so much concern for interpersonal hygiene, oh gawd. At least on my account it wasn't anything serious to-be, but I really wanted to leave from that date in a few moments after we had met.

Edited by lightbird

I liked someone on an online private school before. biggrin.gif But I don't think Ive fallen in love with him.

I've heard of it working out well, but I'd much rather not try it. I prefer to meet guys face-to-face. Anyone can lie about their appearance and age, but it's much harder to do that in person.

Now see dating sites is where I draw the line. I don't trust those at all. The people I've dated online I knew some other way like a role play forum and we started talking as friends there long before dating entered the equation. Then msn contacts were shared, then Skype video calls, then when I felt safe with them in every way I would agree to date them.

I guess I don't like dating sites because I don't like anything that makes me feel like I'm shopping a product. On a role play or a cosplay forum I not only get to know the person in the OOC sections, but also how they think and process information by how the go about a costume project or how their characters react within the roleplay.

Now see dating sites is where I draw the line. I don't trust those at all. (...)

I guess I don't like dating sites because I don't like anything that makes me feel like I'm shopping a product.

This.

I personally feel you are more apt to find online pervs if you are actually looking for an online relationship. You don't have any sort of buildup, you just dive right in. "Hey there. You look so totally uber hawt, wanna meet?" No.

I met my guy on another forum... He was pretty much trolling the place and got my email from the list to ask me to help annoy this one guy everyone hated. :~D After a while of chatting on the forums and email, we became fast friends and now... well, online bf/gf, I suppose. Wonderful love story, isn't it?

I dunno. I just think you're more apt to make a connection if you weren't actively looking for it to begin with. But I think that can work for both IRL and online situations either way.

Now see dating sites is where I draw the line. I don't trust those at all. The people I've dated online I knew some other way like a role play forum and we started talking as friends there long before dating entered the equation. Then msn contacts were shared, then Skype video calls, then when I felt safe with them in every way I would agree to date them.

I guess I don't like dating sites because I don't like anything that makes me feel like I'm shopping a product. On a role play or a cosplay forum I not only get to know the person in the OOC sections, but also how they think and process information by how the go about a costume project or how their characters react within the roleplay.

Totally this. There is no way that would ever happen. Those businesses completely skeeve me out. It's one thing for friends to play at matchmaking, although that could probably launch a thousand threads on its own. lol

If you are ok with them, go for it, just saying I would never go there.

Now if I could just figure out a way to block the million online dating ads that plague my online and rare tv, sci fi channel experiences I'd be laughing.

Hate the music, the drugged out looking folks they showcase who found "twoo" lurve with them; just yuck. Glad they're happy but I dont want to look at them or hear about it every ad break.

kthnx bai.

mad.gifwink.gif

I would take a really looooong time to get to know someone I met online. Too many phycho's, scammers, no goods. These types can fool you easily online, be anything you want them to be, and make you think you've met Mr. Wonderful. The longer you talk to someone online, the more you get a feel for them through writing back and forth. People let things about themselves slip all the time, will eventually feel comfortable telling you what they're really all about in bits. You can feel their vibes through what they're saying. Noone 'good' is going to turn on the pressure to meet until you're ready for it. I 'met' this guy online a long time ago, and he kept wanting to meet, but I just wasn't ready for it, didn't have a real feel for him yet. We talked for about 6 months. Then, he drops the bombshell that the real reason his wife left him was because he was hitting her in these rages he would go into, then went on to discuss the meds he was on for some serious mental disorder. Lovely. Needless to say, that was that. Had I not waited as long... **shudder**

I like dating face to face, like some people were saying, you have to be careful with online dating so you don't meet some perverted guy/girl that only wants you know what.

Online friends, yes. Online dating, for me, no, but then I have a RL boyfriend.

Having been through the complete train-wreck of a long-distance relationship, and then having my already-broken heart stamped on further by an online friendship, I do believe any serious or even semi-serious relationship should be in person. Just because, to be honest. It feels more natural, more meaningful to me, and I want my g/f to hand, not a million miles away.

I have had some brilliant online friendships though, and did fall for someone I'd never met in person. So I can understand why people do have online relationships. I just, personally, want to be actually with my girlfriend.

I used to shun the idea of online dating. It just didn't seem right to me, I thought two people should meet face to face to be in a relationship. I had never met up with anyone online and didnt plan to.

BUT--

I ended up meeting my current boyfriend online. How this happened is amazing to me.

I was on the social networking site Myyearbook(it's quite similar to myspace) and a guy messaged me saying I was cute, etc. His profile said he lived in the next town over so we ended up making conversation about where we lived. Eventually, it reached the point where we mentioned who we were friends with. He had said the names of a few people I went to school with and after the whole "WOAH I'M FRIENDS WITH THEM!" situation, we decided to meet up.

Lo and behold, many months later, here we are :]

The point of my story:

Sites online can bring a face-to-face relationship together.

I wouldn't recommend it, but this just...happened...for me. I didn't mean for it to, but I suppose if 2 people are meant to be together, it finds a way lol

Having been through the complete train-wreck of a long-distance relationship, and then having my already-broken heart stamped on further by an online friendship, I do believe any serious or even semi-serious relationship should be in person. Just because, to be honest. It feels more natural, more meaningful to me, and I want my g/f to hand, not a million miles away.

I have had some brilliant online friendships though, and did fall for someone I'd never met in person. So I can understand why people do have online relationships. I just, personally, want to be actually with my girlfriend.

Yes. Online relationships can be heart breaking, I know. But i do prefer when the person I love can be beside me all the time. Besides; you can't give fresh picked flowers over the web, now, can you?

But i have have wonderful friends on the web, like all you Dragon Cave members!

I don't have a problem with it, but I would never be able to or want to date online. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Online dating is for people who aren't attractive enough to pick up normally. You can use photoshop here at least.

I'm not fully against online dating but it is slightly riskier then regular dating. Meeting someone online, even if you get to know them really well, can lead to things being different in person. It's almost like knowing someone really well face to face and then once you start dating things suddenly change.

I'm not saying this happens to everyone but that it does.

When it comes to online dating I'm speaking from personal experiance that it doesn't always end well. Just giving out your town can lead to issues... I was chatting with this, what I thought was, really nice guy in late 2008. He told me all this really nice stuff and that he had served the core blah blah blah... long story short he lied about everything and the only reason he got anywhere near me in person was through his mother buying him a bus ticket. Not having money on him I went and picked him up so I wouldn't feel bad for just leaving him at the bus station. That lead to me being abused for around 6 months until I got tired and kicked him out in late 2009. To avoid trouble with my parents he left. But not before stealing over $150 off of me, which he had been doing the whole time he was living with me... now you'll probably read this and wonder why I never said anything to my parents or ask for help and such. because one I was embarrassed. My parents were right about online dating in that sense. And second I was extremly scared.

Yeah he was great online! But horrible in person. And online dating can sometimes end up in face to face mettings.

But if you're gonna date online, distance can be an issue. Time can be an issue. And it's usually only around maybe 2 out of 5 relationships that last in online dating. I would honestly rather meet someone in person and go from there. But online dating is sometimes better for people who may be shy, or giggle a lot when trying to talk to someone they're interested in. I've done that and felt so stupid afterwards... especially in a crowded resturant...

It doesn't mean that you have trouble 'picking someone up normally' sometimes it's just easier. My cousin is a very pretty girl and she is dating a boy online. And I find myself pretty attractive, especially if I can get a guy's head to turn when I walk by.

Anyways my point is if you feel online dating is for you, go for it! And if not then it's all the same. Do what you like. There's someone out there, online or offline, with your name written all over their face. I just like to add that it's in invisible ink...

Believe it or not, I actually met someone on dragcave. She's now my best friend, and in a few months (about may, or June) I'm moving out to go be with her. Does that count as online dating or just super awesome (and hard to explain to parents)?

Online dating is for people who aren't attractive enough to pick up normally. You can use photoshop here at least.

Maybe in a lot of cases, but definitely not all.

It's just one of those things you don't understand until you actually do it. It's hard at first, and is certainly NOT for the jealous types. As the old saying goes, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger! The relationships that endure the distance for years before finally getting to move in together are *always* extremely solid. There's a connection that just doesn't exist in a typical relationship. There has to be buckets and buckets of trust--way more than what's typically required. They go through a lot more together /emotionally/ than the average couple.

It's a beautiful thing. Having tried both ways myself, there are benefits to long distance relationships that can change your life. I certainly married the right man. :P

Ahem, from my own experiences I know that looks don't really matter. I've met some people about whom I really couldn't believe that they actually have a relationship, because neither looks nor character seemed in any way pleasant to me (speaking about members of both sexes I've met). I'm so evil and I know it.

Edit: To add to this, I'm also unable to see a nasty person as beautiful no matter how good-looking they're generally considered but might see average-looking people with an interesting character as beautiful.

As mentioned earlier, if I intend to date someone, I don't mind meeting them first online, but if I like them, I'll want to have a face-to-face date as soon as possible, to see, if this works out. I'm fine with not-so-frequent meeting IRL myself, but wouldn't want to run a whole relationship online. I've been in a long distance one with a friend whom I met while traveling and lives in a country to which there are no cheap plane routes, so we only could meet maybe a couple times a year. tongue.gif

Edited by lightbird

I was chatting with this, what I thought was, really nice guy in late 2008. He told me all this really nice stuff and that he had served the core blah blah blah... long story short he lied about everything and the only reason he got anywhere near me in person was through his mother buying him a bus ticket. Not having money on him I went and picked him up so I wouldn't feel bad for just leaving him at the bus station. That lead to me being abused for around 6 months until I got tired and kicked him out in late 2009. To avoid trouble with my parents he left. But not before stealing over $150 off of me, which he had been doing the whole time he was living with me...

Actually, there is almost the same chance of meeting someone who turns to the worse afterwards even when you started face-to-face.