DaniBoo

Online Dating

Sometimes it happens. You meet someone nice online and start to go out. I personally don't like this. I thinks it's weird and not the same than regular dating.

What is your opinion?

Edited by DaniBoo

Same. I mean, I don't see anything terribly wrong with meeting people online in general, as long as you're not unlucky =/

Two years going strong with a man I met online.

It's tough, it takes a lot of patience and sacrifice, and you undoubtedly have to be incredibly careful, but it can work.

bleh, i don't want to meet people face to face to date. i definitely don't want to bother with the troubles of online dating. i'd probably meet a psycho anyway. i'll stick with batteries. wink.gif

Edited by WestWindReborn

Honestly? I've ONLY dated online. Because where I've lived the only people that existed were, sadly, just not my type. I can't date highschool dropout cowboys/cowgirls. I'm a city guy who's nerdy as heck and wants to be with someone I can share my passions with. And the only way I've found that is by dating people I met first online. Yeah, it's risky, but so is real life. As long as a person takes the precautions they should then it's fine. Never done as well as some, but hey, an average of 7 months isn't bad for my age, real life or online.

The dating pool around here is horribly tiny. Couple that with shyness and online dating seemed like a good idea to me.

I've since learned (I knew before, but my experience reaffirmed it) that online dating is something you really, really need to be careful with. It can be fun, but it can also be dangerous and you can meet some really gross, perverted, and desperate folks. Also, if anyone pesters you about going on cam after you've said no repeatedly, that is a red flag that they are a creeper and it's a good time to block them.

I met one guy who thought that paying for dinner at a $5 buffet was worth my body. Ughghgrgrhgh. D:<

I have only ever dated one person, and I met him online. We met and started "dating" when I was only 14. I'm going on 22 now, and we're happily living together. wub.gif

It's possible. I don't think I'de ever do it. I personally like the face to face dateing. Just my opinion though

Honestly? I've ONLY dated online. Because where I've lived the only people that existed were, sadly, just not my type. I can't date highschool dropout cowboys/cowgirls.

This.

A lot of the people around me are plain fools... When they're not, they're either taken or just simply not my type. I know quite a few nice guys, sure, but it doesn't mean I want to date 'em.

I've been talking with this man for about 4-5 years now. I trust him enough to meet up somewhere sometime, talked with him enough and shared enough to think... I can probably know him well enough to not be painfully awkward on the first meeting. Considering the distance we have between us... I can even say I trust him enough to give me somewhere to stay when I do go over. I do feel we are pretty well connected, even over the distance.

But perhaps I'm just too trustworthy, I 'unno. Some people can't stand the idea of not meeting someone face-to-face, but I truly am a bit shy when it comes to admitting that I like someone, it took me a while even through a random email one day, but it's much much easier than attempting to actually say it.

If you give it a bit of time, thought and effort into it, the most you will lose if it turns out you don't work out well in person is an online friend. Just don't be stupid and go and meet them after, say, two weeks and lend them all your credit cards or something.

i think the only way i'd even consider dating guy i met on the internet, or off it,would be if they have the same level of aspergers as me.

I met my wonderful boyfriend Alvin on a forum just over 18 months ago. We certainly weren't expecting to find love; but when we met we just recognized something wonderful in each other. And I couldn't be happier now. He's such a wonderful, supportive boyfriend. He lives 800-ish miles from me, so the long distance relationship obviously sucks, but the times that we have been together in real life have been absolutely amazing. <3

I remember myself, about 3 years ago, seeing a story on the Today show about a couple that met online, and thinking "maybe that works for some people, but I don't think I could ever fall in love with someone I've never actually met." I sure got proven wrong. ;3

I met my boyfriend at some chat site years ago. We've been a couple for over five years now, and have lived together the last two smile.gif

I generally hate dating to begin with (mostly because of all of the "traditions" that go on), but I've been in one online relationship. It started out as a joke between me and an online friend, but we realized we liked being together online all the time. However, after about a month of being in a serious relationship various things occurred (including that we found out we were very different), we broke up mutually to go back to being friends... she started dating another friend of ours who ended up being a censorkip.gif* within a week of our break up, and sadly we rarely talk as she's busy with RL and thinks I'm over protective of her when I tell her to get out of a relationship that she describes in a way that is clearly abusive...

But overall the experience has left an even more sour taste in my mouth about dating... :/

-K-

I did it once. I had my first real IRL relationship after that. It's just not the same, in my mind. I'd do it again casually online but I just don't think that I could really feel so close to someone online that I do in real life. Romantically, I mean. It's just part of my nature - I'm a rather physical person. I like hugs, kisses, and other non-sexual displays of affection.

I've got an online love. x3 Been together around a year nooow, I think?

It's difficult, and can sometime be a real pain in the toosh, but we're trying to make it work. I'd love for it to be not-online, but not everything goes your way, huh?

While I don't believe in relationships that are stationed purely online, I believe in meeting people there. I don't really go out that much and honestly think that you can meet a larger variety of people online anyway, but if I seem to like the person, I'll prefer to go on a date with them as soon as possible, to see if it clicks or not.

As for casual friends, however, I don't mind some of them being purely online-only ones.

Online friends can be great.

Online dating? Great at first but the distance is killer. I dont want that aggravation ever again. The feelings can run just as deep even though you havent met and the next step just doesnt follow sometimes.

Learned a lot from it and couldnt even stay friends. Stuff like, they go crazy if you say you went out, even to friend's birthdays etc you have to go to. You feeling miserable they went out without you. It sneaks up over time and one day you hate it with a vengeance. Something bad happened and they arent there..........

But the early days were magic. Just not worth the price in the long run. I am talking other side of the planet distances.

Your mileage may vary, good luck with it.

cool.gif

I must admit, my only option IS online. My town has a population of 1,000 and it's an ELDERLY town. The boys (or girls) I see around here are basically your typical teenage... whatever. D: I dunno what you call them.

I've been dating someone online for about five months now - but we've known each other for two years. Yes, as long as you're careful, it can work.

There are a lot of NORMAL people out there, not everyone is a forty year old man, despite common belief...

I guess I believe in dating someone online.

I'm kind of too young to be in a serious relationship, but, I think other people can. I definitely believe in meeting online, and when I'm older, that might be my only option seeing as I'm very shy when I'm not online. And, I guess, if the relationship continues online, it's possible. It's very difficult though, and would take a lot of commitment, but it's possible.

I guess that all partners just need to committed, and willing to make it work.

Eh, I personally wouldn't be able to. But that's just me. I'm not really the type of person that can have that kind of relationship. Unless I really loved tthem, I just wouldn't have the patience. Besides, no matter what, I'm always paranoid about who I'm actually talking to. Though I can do a good job of hiding it, I don't think I could love the person that makes me paranoid. tHowever, there are people that have what it takes to make it work. I personally don't see a problem with that.

Edited by chuhulil

I rather not be dating online, because I wouldn't really know who the person is.

I'd much rather have a face-to-face relationship than an online one, due to distance and the risk of meeting a creepy person. oO I don't much like face-to-face relationships with people though because I'm shy (and somewhat antisocial) but dating is one thing I'd do face-to-face.

But to each their own, yes? Online dating can work as long as both partners are committed to each other. :3

Edited by Infinis

Personally I am more comfortable with the idea of meeting face to face, then continuing it online, like if one moved away or something like that, then dating purely online. I think that the latter can be done, and it is not wrong to do so, but I just feel that it is not likely to work.

For me personally, with my trust issues I would need to meet them at least once face to face before I could go on with a serious relationship.

My nephew had a friend that he played an online game with. My niece sometimes played too.

They started IMing, texting, calling, etc.

After a year, the guy and his parents stopped over during vacation, so that the young man and my niece could meet. They started visiting each other as their schedules allowed. He works for the federal government; she is still in college.

Now, they are engaged.