chickenhound

Minecraft!

I think my dad was drunk...but anyways he bought me the game late last night, and I am already addicted. happy.gif

Not sure if it works in the demo version, but if you press f3 it will bring up the debugging screen. On that screen, you'll see some XYZ coordinates. Pay attention to the Y coordinates, as that tells you which block level you're on. Diamonds are on (and/or) below level 20 (though I found a few on layers 10-16). Lava also occurs on those levels frequently, so chances are you'll find some natural obsidian too (probably risky to try and mine it though). Bring a bucket of water in case lava sets you on fire, that way you can douse yourself when needed (don't forget to pick up the water block again). Also when using water to douse yourself, you might be knocked into the lava if you are not careful.

I have a question of my own too, I got the game a few days ago and have progressed a decent amount thanks to tutorials and whatnot (also thanks to being on Peaceful). Anywho, now for the question: Does anyone know how long Slimes take to spawn? I happen to have three connected chunks right beside/under my base that are eligible for Slime spawns. I cleared an area of two chunks for the Slimes to spawn and placed lights everywhere, yet they didn't seem to spawn after a few minutes (yeah, I probably should have waited more than that, but I normally play on Peaceful and I wasn't about to stay long on Normal, as I'm not sure what lighting level hostile monsters stop spawning at). I mainly want the Slimeballs and eventually to create a slime farm once I have enough materials. The room I cleared is 32x16 x3 with torches in the ceiling, so there shouldn't be any troubles with the Slimes not being able to spawn area wise. The room is on levels 13-16, so depth wise that also shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure if it works in the demo version, but if you press f3 it will bring up the debugging screen. On that screen, you'll see some XYZ coordinates. Pay attention to the Y coordinates, as that tells you which block level you're on. Diamonds are on (and/or) below level 20 (though I found a few on layers 10-16). Lava also occurs on those levels frequently, so chances are you'll find some natural obsidian too (probably risky to try and mine it though). Bring a bucket of water in case lava sets you on fire, that way you can douse yourself when needed (don't forget to pick up the water block again). Also when using water to douse yourself, you might be knocked into the lava if you are not careful.

I have a question of my own too, I got the game a few days ago and have progressed a decent amount thanks to tutorials and whatnot (also thanks to being on Peaceful). Anywho, now for the question: Does anyone know how long Slimes take to spawn? I happen to have three connected chunks right beside/under my base that are eligible for Slime spawns. I cleared an area of two chunks for the Slimes to spawn and placed lights everywhere, yet they didn't seem to spawn after a few minutes (yeah, I probably should have waited more than that, but I normally play on Peaceful and I wasn't about to stay long on Normal, as I'm not sure what lighting level hostile monsters stop spawning at). I mainly want the Slimeballs and eventually to create a slime farm once I have enough materials. The room I cleared is 32x16 x3 with torches in the ceiling, so there shouldn't be any troubles with the Slimes not being able to spawn area wise. The room is on levels 13-16, so depth wise that also shouldn't be a problem.

I usually mine for diamonds at layer 12. Lava level is below that, so I don't have to worry about it.

Did you put torches on the ceiling? Did you light most of the caves? Did you went away from the chunks by about 60 blocks? If you did everything above slimes should spawn.

EDIT: On the screenshots of the previous page, the doors were wrong placed. You need to put them from the outside.

Edited by caramba2654

Yeah mobs (of any kind) can't spawn within 24 blocks of the player and only if there are mob slots free. If you were standing around the spawning room the whole time waiting for them, they won't spawn. If there were too many other mobs around, slimes won't spawn. Try not to put torches on the floor, they take up an air block that otherwise would be able to spawn a slime. Since you must light up the area to prevent other mobs from spawning, as caramba said you should put your lights in the ceiling like you're doing already. Other hostile mobs require a light level of 7 or lower to spawn. A torch is light level 14 on the block, and diagonals decrease light level by 2. If you like, I can see if I can figure out a grid pattern for resource-efficient ceiling lights for a slime spawning chamber.

@caramba: 60 blocks away from the chunk? Why? Regions are 512x512, if you get the glitch-halt on your spawns you're better off saving and reloading unless you happen to be near the region boundary. If you're just moving so they can spawn in the room, you really only need to go 24 blocks above your highest spawning room. :x

Edited by Lythiaren

anyone know of a free video thing for a mac computer? ....I can't find any and taking pictures of my house is crazy xd.png

I might've found one... I'm gonna test it... then I'll figure out how to put it here (I might just make a youtube account............)

Ok so I got a video. I hope the audio is off... the left hand corner has some words to look at and then there's the sign (which I thought of later xd.png) but right now I have to wait for it to be compressed then watch it... then figure out how to show you guys xd.png

Edited by Dragonhatchling

The weirdest thing keeps happening...

My house is really well-lit(I have torches nearly every five blocks) and whenever I go to sleep, I JUST manage to get to sleep when I am awoken by either a skeleton or a zombie. I now sleep with a sword. It makes no sense to me, because I know the spawning rules and I really want these wolves that are outside.

Help? ohmy.gif

AlwaysGone: Make sure -all- of your doors are closed and all pathways leading to your bed are blocked off (including ladders.) Also keep in mind that spiders can climb walls and can get in if you have an open roof >.<

Edited by Nodrak

The weirdest thing keeps happening...

My house is really well-lit(I have torches nearly every five blocks) and whenever I go to sleep, I JUST manage to get to sleep when I am awoken by either a skeleton or a zombie. I now sleep with a sword. It makes no sense to me, because I know the spawning rules and I really want these wolves that are outside.

Help? ohmy.gif

The wolves will only become tame when you feed them enough bones. The number varies on wolf. So it's good you get woken up by a skeleton xd.png

AlwaysGone: Make sure -all- of your doors are closed and all pathways leading to your bed are blocked off (including ladders.) Also keep in mind that spiders can climb walls and can get in if you have an open roof >.<

This is what my bedroom looks like. The two doors weren't there before, but they led to well-lit rooms. I can't figure out why mobs are spawning as I sleep.

This is what my bedroom looks like. The two doors weren't there before, but they led to well-lit rooms. I can't figure out why mobs are spawning as I sleep.

Take the bed out of the wall. Or make the wall double-thick.

@Lythiaren: I dunno. I heard that slime spawning is different than most mobs.

EDIT: Sorry for the downtime of the Classic DC server. I'm trying out a new IP configuration... Which doesn't really seems to work.

Also, should I create a topic in the fansites section about this server?

Edited by caramba2654

Is there anything under your bedroom, like a small cave perhaps? Or a dark place...? If it's too small then that forces mobs to spawn elsewhere... the best suggestion I can think of is place a torch on EVERY block then see if mobs spawn.

I'll have the video of my house up in a min wink.gif

I'll try the torches, and give you guys updates.

-off to sleep with a sword-

Edited by AlwaysGone

....I'll have the video tomorrow. It keeps saying "being processed" and if I judge by how long it took to get the thing to upload... I might as well wait until tomorrow dry.gif

I have to make a new video and cut my house into further pieces... my original was too long (it never said such things uploading it....) dry.gifdry.gif

Update 1: Littered my house with torches, sealed up holes, and tried to sleep. Woke up to mob noises, darkness, and my health dropping like I was squished. Died. Respawned at my spawn point and got the 'home bed missing or obstructed' message. Switched to Peaceful.

Now I have to get back to my few hundred torches I dropped, losing all my coal. FFFFUUU-

Update 1: Littered my house with torches, sealed up holes, and tried to sleep. Woke up to mob noises, darkness, and my health dropping like I was squished. Died. Respawned at my spawn point and got the 'home bed missing or obstructed' message. Switched to Peaceful.

Now I have to get back to my few hundred torches I dropped, losing all my coal. FFFFUUU-

Probably because a mob teleported to your bed through the 1-thick wall. You can't have your bed touch any walls unless they're double-thick.

@Drako_tamer: Sorry, but your doors are still wrong. You have to place them from the outside of your house. Otherwise creepers may blow through it and skeletons will shoot you.

My first problem was being in the 'room' itself. The second problem was not filling in the small cave above the 'slime room' (two medium slimes spawned there, instead of spawning in the slime room). Overall, two medium Slimes spawned in around 10 minutes from what I saw down there after solving in the "second problem". So theoretically the spawn time isn't that bad vs other mobs.

This is my Slime room after around half an hour. Bashed medium slimes down to small slimes and accidentally killed a large slime I was wanting to shrink by hitting it with a pickaxe. They were moving too much to count properly, but was around 15 small slimes in total after making the medium ones smaller and after my sister killed a few.

Slime cave

Changed picture to a link as it's 300+kbs

Incidentally, I also have a creeper cave directly above the slime cave. /almost got killed

To answer the question about creating a grid pattern that is resource efficient, I had my torches in a grid pattern, with torches every two blocks like so:

T = Torch

X = Block

T X X T X X T X X T

X X X X X X X X X X

X X X X X X X X X X

T X X T X X T X X T

X X X X X X X X X X

X X X X X X X X X X

T X X T X X T X X T

Resource wise, it's not the best. Lighting wise, nothing but Slimes should spawn. Well, that is, in the lit up area (in the caves above, if there is any, anything can spawn). I'm guessing a resource efficient method would be to place the torches around 5 blocks from each other.

Edited by VampiricOmen

*wants cave she made to spawn slimes*

anyhow, thanks for mentioning the double-thick wall part for the bed... I'll remember that since a skeleton almost killed me (so I shot it before it shot me). I then ran into a spider nest in the cave where the slimes were supposed to be... that was hecktick!

The single-thick wall leads to the front of my house, which has a door in front. There's absolutely NO WAY they could get in.

And yet they do. -random spasm, probably along with Portal-related comments-

... dry.gif -runs off to Portal Wheatley emoticon rehab-

Edited by AlwaysGone

Dragonhatchling: Not sure by your post if you are in the right area for Slimes, but they only spawn in certain chunks at block level 16 and below. This website will show you what chunks Slimes will spawn. You'll need to know the seed of your world (or find the level.dat for the world you're on) and probably the X and Z coordinates of where you are/where your base is. With that link the green areas would be slime friendly chunks. If they still don't spawn not sure what'd be causing it (other than being in the cave like I was).

Double thick walls near bed? I should probably do the same if I'm going to play on any other difficulty other than peaceful. xd.png

Thanks for the tips from earlier too, Caramba and Lythiaren.

Edited by VampiricOmen

Dragonhatchling: Not sure by your post if you are in the right area for Slimes, but they only spawn in certain chunks at block level 16 and below. This website will show you what chunks Slimes will spawn. You'll need to know the seed of your world (or find the level.dat for the world you're on) and probably the X and Z coordinates of where you are/where your base is. With that link the green areas would be slime friendly chunks. If they still don't spawn not sure what'd be causing it (other than being in the cave like I was).

Double thick walls near bed? I should probably do the same if I'm going to play on any other difficulty other than peaceful. xd.png

Thanks for the tips from earlier too, Caramba and Lythiaren.

Thanks. Never caught if someone said that xd.png

....now to go figure out if I can haz slime...

(and work on putting signs up for my videos... it has to be split)

@Drako_tamer: Sorry, but your doors are still wrong. You have to place them from the outside of your house. Otherwise creepers may blow through it and skeletons will shoot you.

Oh, now I get it! I play that level on 'Peaceful' anyway. ^^'

I made another level on Hard...**swear*-bent on blowing self up*

Edited by Drako_tamer

I dunno. I heard that slime spawning is different than most mobs.

It is, but not to the extent where you need to be almost 4 chunks away from the chunk. xd.png

Edited by Lythiaren