Lhoris

Writing your own novel?

Have you ever tried writing a novel  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just finished one of my novels (a sci-fi one) and as soon as I go through and check on it I'm going to try and get it published which I know will probably take a year to actually find someone willing but hey you gotta start somewhere xd.png

I'm actually writing a few novels, but my main one is called Shapeshifter, and it's about a girl and her friend, who can cvhange forms into a dragon and a cheetah. smile.gif

I have never written, but i really really want to start a graphic novel! *looks around self-consciously* I'm the only one here, aren't I... I am pretty skilled as an artist. At least that's what my friends tell me... tongue.gif

I'm slowly writing a DC-based series of novels - it's made the site WAY more interesting and entertaining for me. biggrin.gif

Seriously. I can think of the most incredible plots, but when it comes to putting them into words and sharing them with others I come over all 'derp'.

I had this on New Year's eve - I told my high school best friend what my idea for this year's NaNo is, and then I felt all like "Wow, that actually sounds quite stupid in comparison to how I thought until I put it into words and I've no idea how I'd pull this off."

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's a good idea to try this and see whether it doesn't sound like utter bull**** to yourself before you actually start writing.

I wrote an adventure novel/long story about anthropomorphic cats when I was 14. It was quite lame and with many plot holes/things that are randomly thrown in and never revisited. Since then I've tried to write every now and then until a few years ago I decided that maybe I fail so much that I should just forget about it. :,D The last try was an attempt at writing a novel together with the friend I mentioned above. We would take turns, each writing a few pages and then exchanging the text, but I didn't know how to advance the plot and called the idea off a few weeks before our school graduation.

Meanwhile, that friend wrote a historical novel together with one of her Uni classmates and sent it to some Russian publishers but haven't received any feedback yet. Her friend has so far received 50+ rejections for a novel she wrote 2 years ago. My friend says that it's because she hasn't edited it thoroughly while that girl claims that it's the editor's job. Come on... shouldn't the author polish the novel as much as possible before sending it to a potential publisher? :|

Edited by lightbird

Yes, Lightbird, the author should ALWAYS go for the best before sending it out. Not only in matters of story, plot and characters, but also the writing. The editor should only do MINOR corrections that must have skipped the author, and, in my opinion, an editor should not shapeshift the story (cough* Eoin Coffler and AC *cough*).

Really, it's as if you call back Picasso and tell him his Guernica is not realistic enough, that he should change it.

That said, I've been writing all my life, but, unfortunately, I haven't published anything. I'm still editing. I've got over 5 or 6 completed novels, of which only one is potentially going to be published.

It took me 10 years to create the world. About a whole year to write the book, and over 6 months of editing and changing, and it WILL go through a last edition once my "editors" finnish them. That's because they've told me of a little issue both of them dislike, and upon going through it, I quiet agreed. It's something minor, not overly important to the plot, so it's not a big deal to just go and change it.

Anyways, right now I'm working on another book. I'm not too satisfied so far, it's a simple plot, nothing overly astounding. But, it is intended as a light read.

I tried NaNowriMo, but I lost... I'm still writing whatever comes to me (very little), and I'm fond of my characters (particularly the emo-prince) and dark, twisted plotline. i'm sure that i'll finish it someday, even if I spend my entire life on it.

How my book came to be is funny. The main character was actually a secondary character to a larger book. But he grew so much, and I grew so fond of him, I just could not waste so much potential.

I have a short story that I wrote when I was oh, 14...

Bears, Spock, and myself were the main characters in it. One page long and I still shudder at reading it.

But taking in consideration my age, the level of English that I had - now I understand why my English teacher told me to stay in the library and work on another story instead of being in her class.

I must admit, I never got very far in it - primarily because I lacked the ability to think ahead. So I have an unfinished story on my hands.

I have some plans in my head about writing a non-fictional book about epilepsy, I have NEVER found a book about epilepsy which discussed quality of life vs meds - nor the way it can impact loved ones. My husband still has trouble with seeing me having a seizure and we've been married for nearly 6 years. Not one book that I've read talks about that. It's as if all of them are medical jargon or full of "sweethearty" moments - nothing about the reality. So I've thought about it, but I don't know where to start, which is why I'm still not writing it, lol.

My problem is when i try to write a book...i cant finish! mad.gif The book either makes no sense or i get stuck..Writers block. I am trying to come up with a good plot so i can actually finish!

I wrote a nano... I am pretty sure that would count for something... tongue.gif I'm finishing it up as we speak -- buuuut the only problem is that my computer is useless with the virus... Luckily I can transfer files still!! Yaay! biggrin.gif So soon I will be back to finishing it as well as editing.

Sure I tried...and i tried....and tried...

*sigh*

So many ideas and not enaough time at all (I don't want to talk about my lazyness or my lack of patience here! >.<')

Let's say... my novels will probably never be finished but I actually managed to write some short stories and posted them out here in the world wide web. And wow... there really were some ppl out there who liked them!

biggrin.gif

But since I got addictet to RPGs I guess even short stories won't be finished anymore...

well...

as long as I keep writing in some way, I'm happy! xd.png

ummmm..... unsure.gif I've published a book. I wrote it in Middle school, and right now I'm working on another novel that is 87 Printable pages long with 26,220 words..... it's much longer than my first book.

I have never written before but a while ago i started writing some a kind of story

at first I was just writing a "small" background story for a rp but after one full page I thought this is way to long for a background story and still had a lot of idea in my head I wanted to write down.

So after a few pages I showed only the first bit of it to some guild members of a game I play and they just wanted to read more and more about it.

Atm I'm at 13 pages with about 16.000+ words.

I dont know if it's publishable because I'm dyslectic and english is not my native language.

I'm almost at 80k words... and it's still not done. Who would have thought that a story about a bunch of deranged murderers trapped in a castle thanks to a creepy grandma would take so long to wrap up? D:

I've tried writing a few stories, however only some are long enough to even be called novel material.

One was a collaboration with my elder sister and was by far the longest story I've written (only counting the parts I wrote of course). We each had a main protagonist characters that we controlled (basically, it was written from character A's point of view for one chapter, the next was from Character B's point of view). The story had a lot of plot holes, still does even now. Haven't worked on it much recently, ideas have run dry for it, it was a fantasy/adventure novel. No idea how long it is, most of it's written on paper.

Second story was more in a novella style (more dialogue than description), isn't finished at the moment, it's 27k characters long, still got a long way to go before reaching an acceptable finish. This novel is also a fantasy/adventure, maybe even a bit of science fiction. Not really good at writing any other genre. laugh.gif

Novels <3.

I never finished any though, 2 major ones are under way.

I've written one novel, though it's still on paper, and never been published. It's about 50 pages long, and I'm currently 11 pages into the sequel. I have another one going as well that's about 60 pages long, but I think I'm mostly using it as an emotional vent. I started it during middle school- that should say something there- drama. My biggest accomplishment, however, is my fantasy epic that is currently at page 143 (each side of the paper has a number.) Unfortunately, I procrastinate when it comes to typing it. I added a prologue on my pc, so techincally it's 145 pages. I really don't want to type all the story, but if I want it published, I'm going to have to get around to it. Sigh. I'm barely starting the story too. I've got an ending planned out, but my plotline seems to want to twist itself out of proportion. xd.png

I am currently working on a novella for a contest. I need to finish by mid may and so I can edit, rewrite, add things in, take things out, put things in and over all polish it by the end of June.

I need at least 30,000 words, I have almost 17k.

If I finish it and it is close to 50k words and I actually like it, I may try to submit it to an publisher rather than to the contest.

I highly doubt that though.

I'd love to write a novel, but I first want to get my writing skills to a much higher level. Also, I've had a few ideas for novels, but I either lose interest of find tons of flaws in a few days.

oh, I tried several times to write a novel. have never finished anything, but what I wrote was not bad, really smile.gif lately I've been working at a novel, have 30 pages on paper, but then I suddenly felt no desire and forces to continue it. however I'm not abandoning the idea forever.

I work on it off and on. Mostly it's kind of a hobby more then anything.

Yup I love to write! I have 1 finished, 2 unfinished. One of the unfinished is nearly done though almost over 300 pages xd.png; and I plan on publishing it :3....hopefully e.e;