Lhoris

Writing your own novel?

Have you ever tried writing a novel  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While it might make more sense to change the words, I have to appreciate books that don't. It gives a sense of familiarity and it's easier for me to understand what's going on, rather than having to spend time learning a whole new set of words and meanings before I can enjoy the book. o3o

I agree with Sock. Many fantasy worlds go about inventing new names for familiar things like the days of the week, months, etc, and yet don't give a full explanation of how it works. That's the issue I'm having with The Name of the Wind. I never know what's exactly going on, or at which time of the week, month, season they are. Unless you really do explain, or make it very obvious (Example; Season of Harvest for Fall), I'd stick to what we know.

As I said earlier, it's fine to make up names, but unless it's really relevant, just stick to old, conventional things. Readers will be grateful.

I need to start thinking of ideas for NaNo this year. Had a few ideas come up in the past few days, but they seem more like short stories, and I don't want to try to write my fallback characters because there is not enough time in the world <3

And I finally caved and voted in the poll, even though I'd been waiting for the day when I could legit answer the third. tongue.gif

I'm writing a book called "The black wolf"

And I have the whole thing planned out....

Someone gets kidnaped... someone else gets kidnapped...The main character wanders off.... SOmeone get thrown into a big pit......

^^

Thats basicly it....

I'll add in the details later.....

oh well...

I'm currently writing a novel called Drachenwege (dragon ways), I started planning in late 2006 and writing in autumn 2010.

It's well ... about dragons x)

I currently have about 4 ideas for novels, each set in the same "world". I have my main characters planned out, but it's so hard to create a lot of unique and non-Sue minor characters as well sleep.gif.

And after I get that cleared up will come my next hurdle... the actual PLOT.

Oh well, at least I have a few more months before NaNoWriMo comes >.<

Actually my friend is writing a book and I'm illustrating it...Its really exciting he just got publishing rights.

I'm writing two currently, both of which I hope to become published works sometime in the future, maybe even this year if I can get them edited and self-published.

I do think one of them I'm going to reserve the actual writing of for NaNoWriMo, and my current one (a collaborative book I'm writing on with a friend) is called The SLR Project for lack of a true book name right now. I'm really just getting back into it, after having attempted to rewrite a fiction on a wolf pack longer than a hundred pages 7 times and failing miserably.

Edited by JayWanderer

I definitely tried to lol.

I took this short story I wrote for creative writing and my teacher said it'd be a good idea to make it into a novel.

I had a brain fart though ):

Writing a novel is hard work so you gotta put a lot of though into it,

i just don't really have the time at the moment.

I've never written a whole novel. Only a few short stories, some of which were published in different magazines. If I ever have an idea that's good enough to fill 300+ pages, I'd write a novel. smile.gif

I've some ideas for a couple of books for a few years now, but I've never been able to start doing anything with them due to lack of time, energy and basic brain power.

Seriously. I can think of the most incredible plots, but when it comes to putting them into words and sharing them with others I come over all 'derp'.

Edit: That and I play way too many video games/watch too much TV.

Basically this whole post is my thoughts on the subject xd.png

I would love to write a book and have it published. I'm sure I'll manage to pull together enough motivation and creativity to do so eventually...

I definitely have. I always end up deciding to create one, writing a couple chapters, then tossing it aside to work on another one..... Bad habit. xd.png

Edited for poor grammar tongue.gif

Edited by leafyleaf

I am working on a book called The Ledgend of Laekiki. It's about this girl who was born on Earth but lives in another world. It is a sequel to a book I haven't written yet smile.gif

I'm trying to finish a book I started in 4th grade. xd.png I like the plot too much to let it go, but there's a lot to be changed and I won't get anywhere if I keep procrastinating :/

Furthest I've ever made was with my most recent story: 47 pages. My guesstimate at the finished length would probably have been around 800 pages if I hadn't gotten overwhelmed and given up.

I always start novels but then stop and give them up. I have about 10 stories started and all of their plots are a mess in my head.

I always start novels but then stop and give them up. I have about 10 stories started and all of their plots are a mess in my head.

This.

So many good ideas, so hard to put them together in a logical sequence.

I'm always coming up with ideas, getting excited, typing them down, and then later losing interest because I get lazy.......

This time I'm determined to make the one I'm writing now finished though cause it's got a different and better concept than my other ones smile.gif

I'm working on a book with two online friends. It started as a semi-lit roleplay and as other people quit and the number of RPers dwindled, my friends and I decided to retcon a ton of things, revise the plots and the characters, and make a huge collaboration. We still write it out as a RP, but we have enough material for a book to be made in its' place and the story is almost done. We have more than 500 pages' worth of book material, I'd guess.

Wow. That's cool ohmy.gif ^^

And that reminds me, I wrote a book with my older sister but the book wasn't very long. And it was a very silly book xd.png

I haven't written any novels, but I have been atleast trying to write some texts to flesh out some stories I have in mind to be made into a comic. Can't tell you what it is about, but it oughta be something good.

I wrote a "novel" for nanowrimo last year. It ended up being a little over 200 pages. It's... decent. But I wouldn't call it a novel really, that's an insult to writers everywhere. I plan on doing it again this year. My storyline last year was so generic and typical, I want to do something different. I plan on doing a horror/suspense/monster fiction about the disappearance of the Lost Colony xd.png soooo that'll be interesting...

I have over fourteen novel ideas, all with at least 10k words written in all of them, ^^; (except most of those don't count since I'm rewriting them as I choose to work on them)

I have one of my ideas planned out for nanowrimo already (can't wait for November to come!) and I'm working on another of my ideas right now in order for myself to get a 'feel' for writing over 2k words a day, ^^; (if only I actually stuck to that rule instead of hanging out on DC all day every day, xd.png)

I've written three novels, all courtesy of NaNoWriMo (and Camp NaNo in July and August). The first two finished themselves off at 55k, but the third is still ongoing and it at 65k right now.