Skypool

"Educational" Television Shows

Alright most of us all agree that shows like Dora the Explorer, Go Diego, and Blues Clues are all well moronic. They were created to be educational to the public but are they? Shapes aren't exactly advancing at 5 to 6 years old! Metacognitition is emphasized in Blues Clues so it seems. What really is their conclusion? Discuss.

....I used to love Blues Clues. Then Steve left :C

I don't know. Sometimes you want to let your kid watch something entertaining and somewhat educational, there's not exactly that much on TV for the young 'uns. If the kid likes them, why not? -shrug-

They may seem to be idiotic to people above the age of say, seven, but they're for ages two to five. Dora the Explorer is very good, especially if they live near the border, so if when they're older they can speak some Spanish.

Yeah, kids don't learn a thing from those shows...it's shiny and makes noise, that's all they care. Supposedly I watched the same Sesame Street episode daily for 6 years, but when I watched it again at 7, I couldn't remember a single line or phrase in the entire thing.

Meh, if they entertain the kids why not? :x Sure, Dora the Explorer and stuff teach more Spanglish than anything, but whatever. I don't even remember anything they tried to teach the kiddies on that show.

I always used to watch Blues Clues, Out of the Box, Rolie Polie Olie.. and not because my parents made me because it's educational. It's because it was all appropriate for my age level, and I ENJOYED them as a youngster. Heck, I still have stuff that I made from when I watched Out of the Box. :D Like my newspaper tree. I loved that tree~. That show made me want to be an artist.

..SO YEAH.

I used to love things like "How 2." They really come into their own for language studies though - I owe all of my original German skills to "Mutzi."

(This will prob. end up in Multimedia section).

Meh, if they entertain the kids why not? :x Sure, Dora the Explorer and stuff teach more Spanglish than anything, but whatever. I don't even remember anything they tried to teach the kiddies on that show.

I always used to watch Blues Clues, Out of the Box, Rolie Polie Olie.. and not because my parents made me because it's educational. It's because it was all appropriate for my age level, and I ENJOYED them as a youngster. Heck, I still have stuff that I made from when I watched Out of the Box. biggrin.gif Like my newspaper tree. I loved that tree~. That show made me want to be an artist.

..SO YEAH.

I watched Dora as a kid...and now my "english" is a mix of Romanian/russian/Spanish/Latin/German AND english, just goes to show what that can do to you over time rolleyes.gif

all that having more than one show that teaches you another laungge is going to do is have more people like me xd.png

I loved watching blues clues as a kid until Steve left :S

but the new shows..are just stupid like Yo gaba gaba for one *shudders*

Edited by Sorrowgrave

I always used to watch Blues Clues, Out of the Box, Rolie Polie Olie.. and not because my parents made me because it's educational. It's because it was all appropriate for my age level, and I ENJOYED them as a youngster. Heck, I still have stuff that I made from when I watched Out of the Box. biggrin.gif Like my newspaper tree. I loved that tree~. That show made me want to be an artist.

..SO YEAH.

This. I used to LOVE Rollie Pollie Ollie biggrin.gif

....I used to love Blues Clues. Then Steve left :C

The best episode was when Joe and Blue went to visit Steve in collage!

Back on topic...

If younger kids enjoy these shows, is there really a problem with them? As far as I can see, they're not causing any damage. And hey, if the kids actually pick something up, I guess we could consider it as an added bonus.

Edited by eavesdropping

The Wonder Pets, Save the Puppy

Watch it and be scarred

Most scary educational show ever.

And they even made a game out of it >__> Want to hear the description of the game?

Puppy's family is out and Puppy must get out of the house pronto to pee! Never fear, the Wonder Pets--and your child--are here. First on the agenda, get the puppy out of the house to do his business. Then, with the player's help, our cute heroes and their even cuter friend, Puppy, will spend a memorable time playing together in the backyard.

Moved to "visual media".

How do you help someone play in the yard?

Basic safety? Don't fling dead birds at your brother, don't eat dog poo...and just ideas for games to play.

This. I used to LOVE Rollie Pollie Ollie biggrin.gif

I loved Rollie Pollie Ollie (and would watch it even now if it was on). smile.gif The shows aren't doing any harm as far as I can see so if the kids want to watch them, then I don't see a problem with it.

Very interesting question you've posed.

Now that I'm older I can look at shows with that format and just be like "WATNO". However, as a kid, I loved those types of shows. And they were good for me. We may look at those shows and be like "are kids really so stupid that they need this like this or are actually entertained by it?" but that's what kids need. That's how we grow and develop. I didn't learn my timestable, for example, by hearing once. I practiced it over and over again - repetition is a very common learning technique. And while repeating things that you know well may annoy you, the kids those shows are aimed at, are just learning that, and they're very excited to be able to prove their knowledge.

It's when it gets to the point when you're showing your kids the shows so that they'll be genius' when they grow up and will be ahead of all the kids in their classes that I don't agree with it. Shows made specifically for that purpose (like Little Einstein's, IMO) bug me. Let kids be kids. =\

If you want to complain about social conditioning, though, I'd look at education. Education does not teach kids to think for themselves at all, unfortunately.

My mom is an elementary school teacher. Last year she had a 1/2 combo I believe. One of the parents remarked to her that the hardest thing her child had a problem with in her class was "making her own decisions". It was a foreign concept to be able to pick what color they wanted to color the map in or if they wanted to use crayons or colored pencils or ect. Which is just an extremely depressing thought.

What with having an autistic daughter who was (and still is a little) OBSESSED with Dora the censorkip.gif Explorer, I would quite happily throttle the person who came up with that concept.

There are only so many years of echolalia consisting of 'C'mon Vamanos, everybody lets go' and 'Where are we going? clap clap clap Dora's House' said in that sing song style before I become psychotic....

What with having an autistic daughter who was (and still is a little) OBSESSED with Dora the censorkip.gif Explorer, I would quite happily throttle the person who came up with that concept.

There are only so many years of echolalia consisting of 'C'mon Vamanos, everybody lets go' and 'Where are we going? clap clap clap Dora's House' said in that sing song style before I become psychotic....

That sounds like my feelings towards It's A Bloody Small World. Just hearing that song makes me slightly pshychotic now...

I used to love Sesame Street when I was younger, and, yes, the silly songs *did* help me remember stuff (still do today it must be said...). While I know the shows can look moronic to an adult, and while we all obviously remember the things *we* watched with a lot more fondness than we show modern programmes, I do think they help. I'd rather see kids being entertained, and *maybe* learning something, than being entertained by something with no educational merit.

... That said I'd like to shoot the guy that invented the Teletubbies.

I must argue though why can't Dora or Blues solve real life problems? Your not going to come across a talking cocoa tree who needs help! What if somehow a child concocts a story there IS a talking cocoa tree that needs your help somewhere?!

Although shows like Dora the Explorer and Blues Clues are pointless, not all shows that are billed as educational should be lumped together with them. Many of the shows that I watched as a child truly were educational, and the difference between them and the other shows mentioned above, is that the shows I watched taught skills and lessons that were useful past first grade.

For example, has anyone else heard of the show "Wishbone"? It was an educational show I used to watch as a chlid that actually was VERY useful and educational. The episodes were narated by a talking jack russel terrier named Wishbone, who would accompany his owner and his friends through life events and situations that mirrored the plots of classic novels. Every 10 minutes or so, the show would shift from showing the modern cast, to narrating a classic story. Some of the books they used that I can remember off the top of my head include: Romeo and Juliet, Journey to the center of the earth, The Odyssey, Don Quixote, A tale of two cities, The Purloined Letter, The count of monte cristo, and many more.

Having watched all the episodes as a child really helped me through out my time in english classes; from elementary school to high school.

Edited by Enitsnid

My little nephew loved that show (Wishbone) so much as a child, that he named his dog "Wishbone". There are good educational shows for preschoolers out there. smile.gif

Well, some educational programmes are quite good, I think. I fondly remember watching Stanley with my daughter when she was around 4 or 5, the episodes were funny and educational to some degree. She also liked to watch Little Einsteins (good for at least knowing something about classical music, though I found the clapping actions for Rocket quite annoying), Teletubbies (feeding little ones stupidity with a spoon *shudders*), Art Attack and Finger Tips (nice enough shows, though not really educational). There are also two shows she prefers nowadays which answer questions of everyday life, often using scientific experiments to show the how and why. (I don't remember that one title right now, and the other isn't available in English anyway. Yes, the other shows were translated into my native German. Go figure.)

I also managed to find one very good use for Teletubbies: Whenever my daughter woke up in the middle of the night with colics or some other pain, they were absolutely great to keep her watching and, finally, make her fall asleep because Teletubbies are so boring. biggrin.gif

It was bananas in pajamas, sesame street, Barney and the muppets for me. I freakin' loved the Muppets.

It was bananas in pajamas, sesame street, Barney and the muppets for me. I freakin' loved the Muppets.

I still love the Muppets smile.gif and would watch them if I could find them on TV.