prairiecrow

NaNoWriMo

Oh, very true. I know a hell of a lot of people just write off of dares and random stuff - but, as you say, it doesn't work for all. xd.png The reason why I'm doing NaNoWriMo, for example, is because I have too many ideas. o3o

Okay, I don't think you need to "prepare" for nanowrimo. The point is to just write unselfconsciously until you have something. So just sit down on day 1 and start typing. tongue.gif

Depends on the writer. I prepare character sketches and a rough plot outline before November 1st. Some writers need that preliminary structure, and others don't.

Different strokes, yadda yadda yadda.

I thought I would just do it off the top of my head, but decided to go with an expansion of and idea I had for my CW class short story.

So, one's from the other which is from the original one. Bleh.

SOOOOO I might have lied.

I just got an idea over dinner, came and stalked the thread, and since the writing collective I'm in is really pushing it I think I might join.

Will need to do major MAAAAAJOR outlining and character profiles first. And decide on plot. And pick format. And more I don't even know what.

I'll register later just in case.

Okay, I don't think you need to "prepare" for nanowrimo. The point is to just write unselfconsciously until you have something. So just sit down on day 1 and start typing. tongue.gif

I guess it isn't, but I don't want my story to end up with no plot whatsoever like last year's, and I really can't afford to spend much time planning this November. Even if I write madly during every single spare minute, I'm not completely sure that I'll be able to finish. :/

*really needs to get started on creating character profiles*

So I pretty much scrapped my first idea, but that brought up an old novel I never finished and now nostalgia has hit me hard and I wanna write a "when they grow up" sequel. A lot would have to change, as I don't know if I want to keep the fantasy, but the bigger block is the romance. One couple is established, one is semi-canon (I wrote a lot of alternate-universe shorts with these people and never got around to sorting it all), and I could so easily turn it into some incest-y polyandry. It would probably prove beyond tempting.

So Iunno what to do. x.x

Just finished the tutorial for the special NaNoWriMo edition of Scrivener...

Oh.

My.

GOD.

This program, geared especially for novel writers, does everything but make coffee for you (and even then I'm not so sure that there isn't a button to do exactly that which I missed). The tutorial had 22 steps, took me a little over 2 hours, and completely sold me on how wonderful and utterly useful this program is going to be for me come November. I definitely suggest that folks check it out. The trial version is a free download and is good until December 7th -- AND if you finish NaNo and validate your winning word count, you get 50% off the program! (Or 20% off if you try NaNo but don't finish.)

I dunno, most programs are, IMO, too fancy and too helpful. I find that I can't write unless I'm actually doing a fair amount of work. =V Hence why I like Q10. Full screen, typewriter sounds, blocks everything else out, and so ability to get distracted with shiny things.

I've been scribbling down ideas for several days now, and I realize I'm going to need one thing: PLOT NINJAS. I already have the over-arching plot ninja planned out, but lots of encounters with minor distractions/liasons/real ninjas/assassins would really get the ball rolling.

I dunno, most programs are, IMO, too fancy and too helpful. I find that I can't write unless I'm actually doing a fair amount of work. =V Hence why I like Q10. Full screen, typewriter sounds, blocks everything else out, and so ability to get distracted with shiny things.

Whereas I have a lot of background world-building details, maps, character sketches, and other things that make it useful to have a program that can keep them all in one place, provide pop-up windows when I need (say) a map of Chicago for reference, has a sidebar which I can use to hold info clippings (like how the holdout gun in my MMC's prosthetic hand works), and so on.

Different strokes for different writers. smile.gif

Actually, it was seeing all the Dragons in the NaNo forum .sigs which decided me to get a DC account. My user name is EFBQ and I'm writing a science fantasy novel/open ended world building exercise. Immortality and neanderthals on a world which is actually a tidally locked moon. Who could ask for anything more?

(BTW - it's good to see Prariecrow over here. Yay!)

I've been scribbling down ideas for several days now, and I realize I'm going to need one thing: PLOT NINJAS. I already have the over-arching plot ninja planned out, but lots of encounters with minor distractions/liasons/real ninjas/assassins would really get the ball rolling.

I'm the opposite. I have what I think will be enough small plot ninjas, but I have no overarching plot. Don't wanna do "save the world" or "stop the villain" again. :/

Actually, it was seeing all the Dragons in the NaNo forum .sigs which decided me to get a DC account. My user name is EFBQ and I'm writing a science fantasy novel/open ended world building exercise. Immortality and neanderthals on a world which is actually a tidally locked moon. Who could ask for anything more?

(BTW - it's good to see Prariecrow over here. Yay!)

*waves* Hi there! smile.gif And welcome!

-rages-

WHY. CAN. I. NOT. THINK. OF. A. TITLEEEEEEE.

ADAMANTIUM RAGE! -punches something-

Whereas I have a lot of background world-building details, maps, character sketches, and other things that make it useful to have a program that can keep them all in one place, provide pop-up windows when I need (say) a map of Chicago for reference, has a sidebar which I can use to hold info clippings (like how the holdout gun in my MMC's prosthetic hand works), and so on.

Different strokes for different writers. smile.gif

True dat.

>.> Do they really have to show your region? Now I dun wanna post my profile.

Bleh.

Just put Elsewhere. -shrug-

-rages-

WHY. CAN. I. NOT. THINK. OF. A. TITLEEEEEEE.

ADAMANTIUM RAGE! -punches something-

Don't worry about it--you can come up with that later. :3 I usually wait for the idea to come to me after I start writing.

Yeah - some writers don't have a title until they're publishing it.