prairiecrow

NaNoWriMo

I'm SO doing NaNoWriMo this year. I tried last year and failed, utterly and completely. lol. I'm not even kidding, I got like 2000 words written (maybe not even that) and about halfway through the month I actually pretty much managed to forget I was doing it (extreme procrastination, anyone? tongue.gif)

I had no idea what I was doing though. Not even a little bit of plot, which might not have been a problem if I had had any idea of what my characters' motivations were. Yeah...didn't go well. (In case anyone was wondering, that book was supposed to be about these dragon-like creatures I made up. I call them Chatatas...I'm very tempted to just, you know, spew a whole bunch of information about them on here because they're my first complete species, but I won't. If you want to know more about them you can message me, though. Just prepare for a flood of information. smile.gif)

The book I'm doing this year is a little bit more worked out so far. Basically, it's a fantasy. The main characters are Jack Frost and his apprentice, Snowflake, along with a few other characters that will come into play later. Jack Frost can shapeshift into an eagle. They get into a fight, and Jack ends up so injured that Mother Nature traps him in his animal form to recuperate for a bit, separating him from Snowflake. And they run into all these challenges trying to find each other again, and eventually they discover the main villian has pretty much been manipulating them the entire time, which leads to the big battle at the end of the book.

I've had a few difficulties working it all out, but that's the basic plot (which has been changed in some form or another about fifty times - it FEELS like fiffty times at any rate). If anyone has any ideas to offer, I'd love to hear them. And of course, I'd be willing to offer ideas in exchange, if you'd like them.

A survey would be awesome. If you can't tell already, I like to talk. And write. rolleyes.gif A survey would give me an excuse to do more of that, lol.

(Also, if any of you need/want to make up an original animal species, for your novel or otherwise, and are having trouble, you can message me and I can try to help. I like to think I'm pretty good at making up new animals.)

unsure.gif Sorry for the long post, haha.

I have tried for the past two years and failed miserably. Last year I got to about three chapters (by February) and ended up abandoning the story altogether. Third time's a charm, I hope!

This November with be my fifth NaNoWriMo, and I am pumped. biggrin.gif My best friend and I write our novels side by side, and it's lead to an almost guaranteed victory and fun times all around.

The site reboots in only a few days! I can't wait to fill out my profile again and see the shiny new layout.

Also, I'd love to fill out a survey about NaNo. biggrin.gif

This will be my 7th NaNoWriMo, and for the first time, I'm actually planning out my novel in advance. Currently I'm working on character bios and establishing setting. Let me just say that I feel WAY better about this year than last!

You can find me hanging out on the forums over there under the name dei.gratia.hobbit. biggrin.gif

Second NaNoWriMo this year! I'm excited. I really liked my novel last year, but I lost my inspiration and stopped at around 30,000 words. Hopefully I'll have a lot of inspiration to make it through this time :)

This year will be my 5th NaNoWriMo. I'm currently deciding which of two ideas to use... either I finish the dang book that I started last time (I hit goal, but the book's probably not more than 2/3 done if that) or go with the story I'd planned for 2011 since that never actually got more than half a chapter or so written due to some major medical issues that happened. Decisions, decisions.

Anyway, I'm Catstaff over on the NaNo forums as well. Not especially active, but I do post every now and again.

I am going to attempt it for the first time this year, though my preparations have not been going as well as I would like. I'm a bit worried about how my schedule and other responsibilities will conflict with finding the time to write, but I guess we'll see. I am looking forward to it, regardless!

I need to go look at the forums more and start getting in the mood for November. If anyone wants my username, feel free to PM me on here and ask for it; I just don't want to post it publicly. smile.gif

Who else is impatiently waiting for the site to reset? biggrin.gif I just want to start writing now, but at the same time I have more planning to do! Eeek! laugh.gif

Who else is impatiently waiting for the site to reset? biggrin.gif I just want to start writing now, but at the same time I have more planning to do! Eeek! laugh.gif

I'm with you on the impatient waiting!

I decided to go with the 2011 idea, as I'm not sure the still-unfinished one from last year has another 50K left in it without using ridiculous amounts of filler (aka the naughty stuff) to stretch it out. Either that, or I'll have to rework the entire plotline to extend the thing... which I -could- probably do, and I even have some ideas as to how. But that's the sort of thing that will drive me insane, as it will involve quite a bit of revising what's already written as well as forcing me to plan the timing of story events very carefully. I'm good with that when I'm not under a tight deadline, but not so much when I'm looking for volume in a hurry. (Not to mention, just how would I calculate the word count of the revised parts? Because it wouldn't just be adding bits in, it would involve changing a few things.)

When it comes to NaNo, I have to do the very minimum of planning and plotting. I've discovered that I find it much, much easier to run off at the keyboard when I'm pantsing it, or mostly pantsing it. Like, I have a general sort of outline with some major points noted for the new story. But I'm not all, "Start at A and then B and then C and then D..." either. It's more like, "Okay, here's the starting point and this thing has to happen somewhere along the line and that will lay the foundation for the ending," but I just let it proceed as it will.

What sort of story are you planning to write this year?

What sort of story are you planning to write this year?

Me? I'm planning to write a sort of modern day fantasy-type thing, set on Earth but Fae (and shapeshifters, vampires, witches, ghosts, etc.) are all real and have been revealed to the general public for a few years but relations are still very unstable, particularly as the Fae and others were either invisible or lived in secret before being suddenly put in the spotlight.

I'm thinking it's going to be pretty epic, if I can get it right. More likely, I won't get it right and it'll flop, haha, but I'm pretty interested in the idea, so there's hope. Lots of adventure, lots of action and random detours and hopefully some epic battles. biggrin.gif Kid-friendly (as I'm not a big fan of writing adult-y stuff like extreme violence and such), but still a lot of fighting as my character works her way toward her goal. I do need to figure out a reason for my main character (Fae) to have an extreme fear of humans (she's perfectly fine around other fae, shifters, etc but as soon as she sees a human she has a panic-attack, that kind of fear). I'm thinking capture, and maybe some attempted experiments, but it'll probably change as the story goes.

As for planning, if I overwork the plan I then think of new ideas (good, but not good if it means I need to end up completely reworking the plot to fit in one really good idea which then makes me think of even more new ideas and so on. Brainstorming, good, but not good when I'm in the middle of trying to actually make a plan), but I find that I do need some sort of general idea, like 'Character must do X and Y to complete B, and do B and C to complete their main goal', that sort of thing - a string of events so I have a general idea of what I'm working towards.

I do need to finish designing my character sheet so I can fill one out for each of my characters, though. (It might take awhile. Twenty questions just focusing on character's names. dry.gif)

Edited by StormNSnowflake

I will be finishing my fanfiction I hope by the end of november. My current fic is 33k words.

The name of the fic is Inverted Insignia, its an early transformers war fic - Based around Starscream and his early personality. Its a fair challenge because I have to decide what sort of person he was before the war and how he changed to become the character he was in the 1984 cartoons. I have written several fics based around this character.

http://sunstars.deviantart.com/art/Inverte...tment-480360399 my fic I am currently writing. It's rough. I am in need of a gramma- punctuation tutor.

Edited by Starscream

Waiting excitedly and hurriedly finishing my novel from last year so I can write the sequel this November! biggrin.gif

(If anyone wants a writing buddy, I'm Gingehfish there as well as here and almost everywhere else.)

I do have a semi-idea floating around as well as thoughts about just completely re-writing my idea from the year before last, but as busy as I am, I don't think I'll be able to do NaNo again for the second year in a row. D:

Good luck to everyone preparing!

These all sound fantastic!

I'm doing a historical romance, set around the Revolutionary War.

He's a British officer, although not by his own choice... as the youngest son of a baron, his father purchased him a commission after refusing to let him seek his fortune in the Colonies. She's the daughter of a Boston tavern keeper; while her father is fairly neutral, her adored older brother is a member of the Sons of Liberty. Her family is forced to play host to him under the Quartering Act, partly because he's been sent to look over the arms factories being built in the Colonies with the idea that the British Army might eventually equip the Colonies-based units with locally produced weapons, and partly in hopes that he'll be able to glean information about Sam Adams and the rest of his troublemakers through listening to his hosts.

He's uncomfortable with the latter part of the assignment, both because spying on his own people seems wrong to him and also because having wanted to be a colonist himself, he sympathizes with their desire to have some say in their government. She, of course, loathes the very idea of a soldier living with them, feeling that his presence will threaten her brother's safety. Her brother suggests she try to befriend the man, reasoning that she might well be able to glean some useful information from him that she can pass along to the Sons of Liberty.

She eventually discovers that his sympathies lie with the Sons of Liberty even though his sense of duty prevents him from deserting, and romance blossoms. Then, of course, the war starts, separating them. At some point, his superiors discover his sympathies for the rebels, and he'll be imprisoned and tried for treason. She'll find out and come to the rescue and they'll eventually live happily ever after.

At this point, I'm mostly trying to make sure I've got the historical stuff right, or at least close to it. Like, I know that in reality, the Quartering Act was never really put into use for multiple reasons. But I'm using it all the same, as the excuse for Him and Her to meet in the first place. rolleyes.gif I'm also double-checking dates and locations of various battles and other events. Anything to keep myself from actually writing just yet.

^ That sounds interesting!

I just want to start writing my novel right now...I'm distracting myself with writing other things instead, because I could use the practice.

^ That sounds interesting!

I just want to start writing my novel right now...I'm distracting myself with writing other things instead, because I could use the practice.

Thanks!

And yeah, I know what you mean! I'm keeping myself distracted between the research and working on another chapter of my Harry Potter fanfiction. I'm determined to get one more chapter, preferably two more, posted before NaNo starts. It'll probably be only one more, though, because I know perfectly well I'm going to end up doing more research than fanfic writing, just to be sure I've got all the research done before kickoff.

@catstaff That sounds like something I'd love to read!

(I'm writing a book myself, but I'm just writing bits whenever I have a good idea, not trying to finish it in a month.)

I have quite a bit of research to do. Like, would the threat of the Boogeyman attacking be enough to cause the army to respond if the situation was bad enough? xd.png

And how weather actually works, more than just the basics. That's another important one...especially considering the characters I'm going to be writing.

And world-building. Yes, word-building is kind of important.

Edited by StormNSnowflake

Hey fellow NaNoers, looks like a bunch of you are getting as excited as I am to begin! I decided a couple months back to go with my urban fantasy plot idea and I'm getting increasingly inspired. I finally got over the hump of an unexpected depressive episode that kept me from doing anything creative and it feels SO GOOD to be able to draw my character sheets and continue worldbuilding again. I've dabbled in writing fantasy before, but this is the first time I'll be using some of the more traditional elements of the genre in my novel; things like elves, swordfights, other supernatural races, I might even add in a dragon or two in the backstory.

My MC Aranel is a half-elf, half-human who is relocated from the forest to a normal neighborhood by a covert witness protection-type program for nonhuman races, and the story is initially about her struggle to convincingly blend into human society despite not looking nor acting like anyone around her. Over the course of her long lifespan she is hunted by two other elves whose job it is to seek out deserters, she marries an awful human man and has a child with him, and she has to cope with watching the people around her age and die while she remains mostly unchanged. It's mostly a character study, and the entire thing is based on a few nonhuman families I made in The Sims 2... lol. Creating all the races of elves and deciding their culture and politics is extremely fun. It's tough to watch my MC suffer the way she does though, I'm so cruel to her in this story. tongue.gif

Since the site still hasn't rolled over with this year's info I won't post any forum links yet, but this is a great page to visit for anyone who's having trouble planning or deciding to participate:

The official NaNo prep page

I totally forgot I was going to post my survey in this thread, d'oh! I wrote out the NaNo survey a few years back but it's on the HD of the other computer, so I'll post it as soon as I'm able to transfer it here to my laptop. It really is cool to see how different everyone's ideas and approaches to the challenge are. I have a good feeling that most of us here are probably gonna make our 50k goals. thumbs_up.png

Also, I'm trying to fill in synopses on the site for all my past novels, and I'm so hilariously terrible at it. Does anyone else have as much trouble as I do when it comes to describing your plots in a concise, intelligible manner?

Edited by Koroshiya-Ichi

I considered participating this year but then I decided against it. I did Camp NaNoWriMo July and finished but that was 30K words.

The thing is, I want to finish the current fic I have (20K right now) but I've hit a rough spot lately and when I hit a rough spot, it can last months. The last óne was four months of nearly complete silence.

I really don't know. Camp NaNo actually broke my last block and maybe I should start something new.

I've been considering to do it, but....that's a LOT of words and I'm very busy.

I posted this before but it bears repeating: if you write every day in November you only have to get 1,667 words down per day to win. 50,000 seems like a lot, but if you break it down into smaller increments like that it can seem much more doable.

NaNo is such a fun experience and the creativity involved truly is its own reward, I hope you'll decide to at least begin a story even if you can't finish it. There's absolutely no shame in not making the final wordcount.

I'm going to try this year. I have a vague outline and three(ish) characters. That's farther than most of my stories get tongue.gif

I think I will try at least. biggrin.gif

Now to think of an idea...I've been wanting to do a story about ravens, maybe now would be a good time to work on that plan.

I may have to do some research on the Pacific Northwest for it. Like how the climate changes in different seasons, flora, and even.....GEOGRAPHY. *gasps in horror*

Edited by igloo9201