prairiecrow

NaNoWriMo

I've decided on a Pokemon fic. I don't know all the details yet, but it will have ninjas (hey, that "have ninjas burst into the room" thing might actually make sense), be set in Sinnoh or Unova, and will have an awesome ninja Lopunny |D

I'm gonna be relying on the Notes on my iPad. xd.png I'll just upload e chapters to dA and transfer them to a USB later.

Thanks Zovesta. Yeah, sometimes getting other people to join something is hard, but this time it was more like, "Oh, you're writing something? You should join us..." Pretty organic.

Also, for everyone, if you are interested in some world-building/character building guides that my group has found on-line, or even just some tips on how to get started; feel free to PM me. I am also Alayajoy on the NaNo website as well, if you want to message me there.

Oh gosh, new problem for me...I can't decide on what I want to write.

Write it all, that's what I'm doing this year. laugh.gif

Satyr, if any of my favourite Pokemon are involved, I'd love to read it when it's over. Also, will the travelling shovel of death be involved?

*adds Alayajoy*

(Oh, btw, is anyone going to a kick-off party?)

I wanted to do one with my creative writing club but it was a no-go, too many people had schedule conflicts. :c

We are doing a write-in next weekend though.

Write it all, that's what I'm doing this year. laugh.gif

Satyr, if any of my favourite Pokemon are involved, I'd love to read it when it's over. Also, will the travelling shovel of death be involved?

*adds Alayajoy*

(Oh, btw, is anyone going to a kick-off party?)

Haha, thanks. biggrin.gif Most of the pokemon will be Psychics, Ghosts, Darks, or Poisons, but I might have some you like. c:

And my irat NaNo just wouldn't feel like a NaNo without the TSoD, although ninjas, usually use stealthier weapons. xd.png I'll make it work tongue.gif

Asdfghjkl I don't think I'll be able to do it this year, actually. There's a huge piano thing that I have to practice for. >_< BUT. I will still be reading people's stories throughout the month. And good luck to everyone who's doing it biggrin.gif

Aw man, Stunningfire! D=

Most of my favourites are poison or ghost, satyr, so perfect. laugh.gif

Ugh, only about a week away. e_o I need to get started on plotting.

My second year doing NaNo and I'm really looking forward to it~

If you click on the RB in my sig it'll take you to my profile on the nano site if any of y'all wanna be writing buddies.

Hey, it's my second year too! Hopefully it'll go better than last year for me, yikes.

http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/hazehpants

I think this story is a little better planned out than my last one, so I hope that helps.

/super nervous

Three more days!

I'm going to my region kick-off and I still haven't entirely planned out everything. *teeth chatters* Well, hopefully I can finish planning in these last 60-odd hours~

Isn't it four days, given October has 31 days in the month? ._.

Ah, I start pre-writing the day before, on Halloween, so I guess I always forget that last day. xd.png

Oh gosh, new problem for me...I can't decide on what I want to write.

Same here. I was originally going with a storyline that involved an alternate dimension of time, but I realized that I have no conclusion for that one. I changed it to a political fantasy involving dragons and humans, but couldn't solidify that idea enough.

Now I'm thinking of doing a scifi novel involving two of my alien races and a civil war. Although I need to come up with the reason that the civil war is running, the third mysterious party, and how it is actually going to end.

Anyone have experience/opinions on Scrivener? I'm going to use the NaNo trial this year.

I've never used it, but it always seemed far too complicated for me when I already kept all my notes in my head. I prefer Q10.

I use Scrivener smile.gif Last year was my first NaNo-year, and I decided to use the Scrivener trial. Ended up buying it afterwards, when I got that nice NaNo-winner-discount :3 I am definitely using it again this year. There are tons of things that can be done, and I probably don't even use half of the functionality (..got a bit overwhelmed as I went through the turorial) - but the lovely thing is that you don't have to use the things that aren't helpful to you.

So, what I use and like:

- Different files for everything: Having various folders and files keeps it easy for me to keep track of things. All my chapters are different files in the draft folder, I have reference text and pictures in the research folder, and all my character/area/whatever profiles in the character folder. This way, I have everything in the same place, and I can easily find my way. If I was going to use Word (which was my original idea last year, before I found Scrivener), I would have much harder time keeping track of my chapters (as everything would be one very long text), and it would sure give me headaches to try keeping track of tons of character profiles floating about.

- Everything in one place: That's very related to the previous point. Though I have a heap of files, it is no problem, because I only have to use this one programme to keep track of everything. All my stuff is right there, in the left margin. If I were to write my story in Word, I would surely have many different small note files to hold research and character profiles, but now that this programme handles it all, I do not have to dig through 250 different open files to find the one that I am looking for. I can just go "hm, when did I say that my main character learnt to play the tuba?" - locate my "main character" file under the heading "characters" - click - and there it is!

- Index cards: All my different files get little index cards, that I can fill with the vital information. So for my characters, I write down name, age, and so on, and I can view all of these little index cards at the same page. The same goes for research and chapters. For each chapter, I can make notes of the vital happenings, and that makes it so much easier to look back at later as I write. Those little cards provide a simple summary for me, instead of having to start reading through all the chapters/character profiles/whatever to find what I am looking for.

- Compose mode: Brings the page to the front, and fades out everything around it. I do not always use this mode, but days where I find it hard to concentrate, it is a helpful tool to block out all unnecessary information, and let me focus entirely on the writing.

And of course, even though I have my writing separated into many different files, the "group mode" function is easily accessible, so that I can see the story as a whole at any time I want, to check the word count and such. I don't have to worry about manually copying all the chapters into one file at regular intervals, to see how I am doing :3

..okay, this turned out longer than I intended, but anyway. That's why I like, and continue to use, Scrivener xd.png

Hmm. Are you allowed to continue on an existing work, or do you have to start a new project?

Because I'd be happy to try and write for my fanfiction, but I can't really invest myself in a new story right now. (And my reviewers would probably kill me.)

Hmm. Are you allowed to continue on an existing work, or do you have to start a new project?

Because I'd be happy to try and write for my fanfiction, but I can't really invest myself in a new story right now. (And my reviewers would probably kill me.)

You'd be a NaNo rebel, but no reason why you can't. :3

I've been thinking about joining but never got around to it... maybe I will this year xd.png

though, if I do, I have no clue what to write... ah joy, and not too long to figure it out.

I signed up as Dragonhatchling. Step 1, complete I think...

Edited by Dragonhatchling

So, the story I had chosen as this year's NaNo story suddenly doesn't want to be written. I tried to write a little side-scene with the characters, just to get back in the flow of writing, and... yeah. It's like there's no chemistry at all. My characters were all over each other a few weeks ago! What the heck happened?

I'm not in it to win, this year, not with everything going on in my life right now. But I've done NaNo every year since 2004 and I will *not* miss a year.

I've never done NaNo before, despite me being a pretty fervent writer - and I'm not sure I will, now. College is really eating my time. 50k words seems daunting when I have all these other papers I have to write. :s

Marie, I hate it when that happens. D:

Marie: Drop all the characters and try writing something new. If you don't like the story, it won't get written.

Aw man, Dianacat. D= Well, hope you join next year!

go dragonhatchling go

*cough* Am I the only one not entirely happy about the Halloween drop being rescheduled? >_>

I understand why, of course, just... ohwell tongue.gif

Not at all. I get what you mean with the NaNo thing and all, but if people can't catch them, I'd love to try to for the NaNoers. xd.png