prairiecrow

NaNoWriMo

I have made it to 50k! ^^

o.0 Congrats on finishing, and so early.

31,694 words for me, and I need to sleep.

Okay. I'm only a few thousand words behind. I can do this, right? 14 days to write 30k? Piece of cake. *freaks out*

Also, would someone care to tell me how this: (ZOMG!!) is possible without typing a word over and over and over again?

Ok, I'll admit, I wrote 3,146 words today. And I'm insanely proud of myself, even if I'm not at the word count I want to be at.

Writing 31,176 per day? Not happening. Ever.

o.0 Congrats on finishing, and so early.

31,694 words for me, and I need to sleep.

Thank you! ^^ My story isn't done though, so the writing must continue. Still, I am incredibly pleased with having managed to complete the challenge

Also, would someone care to tell me how this: (ZOMG!!) is possible without typing a word over and over and over again?

Oh my Gold. How is that possible?

I hate my mathematical mind sometimes. It tells me I'm 4.8k behind my goal. Last night I couldn't be around to type, since I was comforting my best friend. Her grandma died last Friday :C

11,034. Not bad, having not touched it since Day Four. And I now have a preview.

Edited by Kestra15

Yeah...

There's reasonable (such as Nimrodel - and congrats for winning!) and there's complete and utter crap. I'm guessing they have nothing to do besides a few hours of school, maybe, are word padding like crazy - typing out contractions, re-writing misspelled words over and over again until they're correct-ish, etc. - and have utterly no quality in their writing. I'm sorry, but even if you type incredibly fast, you are not going to pound out anything resembling legible or coherent or that makes sense when you're set on writing 30k+ a day. To me, they've defeated the point of NaNo. Yes, the point is to write and to work on that novel you've always dreamed of writing, but they're so far past that point it was never a novel, just a bunch of gibberish.

No, not even suspension of belief will make me believe that people who claim to write that much are telling the truth/writing anything not worse than awful.

Now, if they are a professional writer, then I may be more apt to believe it. However, I'm a big fan of an author who is really into his community and he works really hard for us and sometimes he can pound out 30-40k in a day but sometimes he can't pound out that much (or has to take care of other things, like recording for his podcasts or such), and that's what makes it seem reasonable. He writes for a living and can pound out quite a bit for his job, but sometimes even he has other things to take care of.

And congrats on getting 3k in one day, Kanaye!

~

Aww, hugs to your friend, Xbcdrt8741. <3 I'm behind, too. Had a party to take care of Tuesday and too many classes yesterday.

~

Good job, Kestra! You can keep it up. :3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'd give her a hug from you, Sock, but she might think I'm crazy xd.png

I'm determined to type at least 2k words a day, even if I don't make it. It's a challenge Cx

I highly doubt I'm going to make it. I had a strong start, but I haven't really touched it save for a couple hundred words every few days. My muse is severely lacking again. Or, well, to sit down and write- I still dream up scenes and stuff and go through them in my head like a movie reel, but it's sitting down and actually writing it that's really tough. I'm only 11k in, and only on my second chapter. =A= So I'll probably give up soon.

Better luck next year :S

Since I'm planning on being a writer as a profession, I might want to try this... however, I don't think I could finish it if I started smack-dab in the middle of November(especially with all the essays our English teacher gives us), so I guess i'll have to wait until next year.

Good luck to you guys participating, though. smile.gif

I might have a little trouble with not editing it since I'm such a perfectionist, though. tongue.gif

I highly doubt I'm going to make it. I had a strong start, but I haven't really touched it save for a couple hundred words every few days. My muse is severely lacking again. Or, well, to sit down and write- I still dream up scenes and stuff and go through them in my head like a movie reel, but it's sitting down and actually writing it that's really tough. I'm only 11k in, and only on my second chapter. =A= So I'll probably give up soon.

Better luck next year :S

Never give up! We can do it!

Re-posting:

Tips

Programs

Q10 (free program that helps block out distractions): http://www.baara.com/q10/

Write or Die (free; puts the 'prod in productivity'): http://writeordie.com/#Web+App

Scrivener (not free but a month free trial and see below): http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php

- NaNo trial (50% off if you win this year, too): http://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo.php

You can also check out the list of writing programs for other ones: http://kerryg.hubpages.com/hub/The-Ultimat...tware-and-Tools

Prompts/Inspiration

Word Wars, Prompts, Sprints with other NaNoers: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/forums/word-wars-prompts-sprints (Also keep an eye on the Procrastination Station on the nanowrimo home page)

Fake NaNo Tips (funny ways to boost your word count): https://twitter.com/#!/FakeNNWMTips

NaNo Sprints (challenge yourself to write the prompt in the time given): https://twitter.com/#!/NaNoWordSprints

Whimsical Words (fun words that might inspire or you can use as a prompt): http://www.dailywritingtips.com/100-whimsical-words/

Creative Writing Prompts: http://creativewritingprompts.com/

Prompt Generator (not as helpful if you've already got a plot in mind, lol): http://jc-schools.net/write/create.htm

Advice

• Eat something, drink something, then sit down to write without those. You'll spend more time eating and drinking than writing, lol.
  • Turn off the internet.
  • Full screen whatever writing program you're using. It's also not a bad idea to minimize anything else you have up.
  • If must helps you, turn on some music. Write for as long each song goes. Or put on a playlist and don't stop writing until it's done.
  • If you write better in silence, hide in your closet and write. =P
  • If you're stuck in a rut, move onto a different scene. You don't have to write your book in order!
  • Set up a reward for yourself. Make some muffins or gather some Halloween candy. Write for x amount of time or for x amount of words. You can't get up and get your treats (placed in another room) until you've met your goat.
  • If you get stuck, get up and do some jumping jacks, dance to a song, run around the block. Now get back to writing.
  • It's best if you can get a program that doesn't constantly display your word count. You'll focus more on that instead of writing.
  • Send your characters to the circus. Have them find a talking dog. Have them bump into an antagonist. Make them emotional. Something exciting to get you going. You can always edit it out during National Novel Editing Month. In fact, don't edit now. Now is for writing.
  • If you can, get a routine going - set down a time to write every day that is the same time.
  • The best piece of advice I can give you? Just write! Don't stop, even if it's crap. Bust through it and you'll get somewhere.
Now, I could probably burst out more tips and prompts and programs if you need, but in the end, what needs to be done is you sitting down and getting it done. I can give you all the help I can, but you're the one that's going to get it done. ;3

Good luck, all! <3

EDIT: Oh, and here's a quote I love that always inspires me:

“I believe that the so-called “writing block” is a product of some kind of disproportion between your standards and your performance ... one should lower his standards until there is no felt threshold to go over in writing. It’s easy to write. You just shouldn’t have standards that inhibit you from writing ... I can imagine a person beginning to feel he’s not able to write up to that standard he imagines the world has set for him. But to me that’s surrealistic. The only standard I can rationally have is the standard I’m meeting right now ... You should be more willing to forgive yourself. It doesn’t make any difference if you are good or bad today. The assessment of the product is something that happens after you’ve done it.”

— William Stafford, poet

~

You guys can all make it! <3

If you're stuck in a rut, move onto a different scene. You don't have to write your book in order!

ಠ_ಠ BACK TO WORK. /flies away

[*]Set up a reward for yourself. Make some muffins or gather some Halloween candy. Write for x amount of time or for x amount of words. You can't get up and get your treats (placed in another room) until you've met your goat.

Aw, I think it could take some time before I meet my goat :/ That's sad, because it sounds really nice!

Thanks for the congratulations! ^^ I haven't written anything today, though I still have plenty to do with my story. I feel a little bad about it, but at the same time it's good to have a day off

I've found a system that works well for me. 500 words, get bowl of cookies. For every 500 words after that I get to eat one cookie. After 5 cookies, I'm tired of them and I've hit 3k words. Awesome.

I'd give her a hug from you, Sock, but she might think I'm crazy xd.png

I'm determined to type at least 2k words a day, even if I don't make it. It's a challenge Cx

Lol yeah, I don't want to scare your friend. x3

Aw, I think it could take some time before I meet my goat :/ That's sad, because it sounds really nice!

. . . LOL. Y'know what? I'm leaving it. XD

Yes, enjoy your day off, if you don't get anything written. :3

ಠ_ಠ BACK TO WORK. /flies away

Whoo! You can do it!

I've found a system that works well for me. 500 words, get bowl of cookies. For every 500 words after that I get to eat one cookie. After 5 cookies, I'm tired of them and I've hit 3k words. Awesome.

Cookies are an excellent system!

Cookies are a great way of bribing myself, especially if they're homemade <3

Got 1k words in about 40 minutes, and I'm proud of myself. I've been doing five minute sprints for the past 500 words and they really helped.

[EDIT] As if to prove myself wrong, I just did 2k words in about 35 minutes. These ten minute sprints are really productive, I can get about 600 words done in each one. Starting to get hopeful towards winning!

Edited by Xbcdrt8741

I'm so glad I made my antagonist female... she's awesome. And totally insane.

32,975 words, but I'm going to hit 33,333 today for the lulz.

Alrighty guys, it is officially the start of the weekend in this household. I have a minimum limit of 30k words once it's finished, but I would like to be farther. Let's go!

*cheers for all*

I only just hit like 10k. @_@

And it's been hours, but I only have like 2.5k that I wrote today. D:

Wrote 3k+ today to catch back up. I could write some more, but I'm going to put modding ahead of NaNo and go back to descriptions. :3

*cheers for everyone* You can do eet!

Whew! Managed 4.3k today. If I can keep that up, I can catch up! Maybe.

Today's covered subjects include things I'm not allowed to speak of on these boards, hilarious and/or disturbing things being heavily implied and made possible thanks to the magic of having two incarnations of the same character in the story as separate characters at the same time, and unholy hellbeasts that may or may not also be zombies preparing to attack a group holed up in a disturbingly well-supplied yet empty building.

Also, sporks. xd.png

Edited by KageSora