prairiecrow

NaNoWriMo

Hey, to people who are getting 3k+ words a day... How do you manage that? I fail spectacularly at even getting my word count... >.=.<;;

Hey, to people who are getting 3k+ words a day... How do you manage that? I fail spectacularly at even getting my word count... >.=.<;;

well for me, its more like competition, when I feel that way I tend to get alot.png of words in. And also the freshness of the story drives me on. Though I have been getting alot.png more busier and less motivated with my story. I have 31,000 already, it gets tougher with the words after that for me....

I am way behind, but it's not my fault! My characters won't co-operate!

*shakes characters*

Tell. Me. Your. Names.

*shakes characters*

Tell. Me. Your. Names.

hehe. You gotta love those characters... biggrin.gif I think my characters are so social they just went over to me and told me almost everything about them.... not everything...

*shakes characters*

Tell. Me. Your. Names.

Give them placeholder names for now. Or, do what I do--refer to them as Nameless One or something! It pads your word count by being 2 words for the name, not one! biggrin.gif

And something that it's taken me far too long to realize... I can get more word cout by using loving detail to describe settings! I'm used to writing short stories, not novel-length things, so I'm usually selective about what I go into lots of detail to describe. I totally didn't take into account that I can probably get 200+ words out describing the lobby for the hospital or the area right outside it, ahahah... xd.png Silly me.

Okay, off to Google to look a few things up~!

*pats the people behind*

Thank god I am doing this as apart of my Creative Writing class! Or I'd get like no time at all for this, lol. I am so bad at managing my time.

15 540 right now. So alright... :>

1273 words... i fail. my story is so fun to write, but i need to do hwk... its about a black dragon btw, who is going to stop a war between dragons and humans tongue.gif

1273 words... i fail. my story is so fun to write, but i need to do hwk... its about a black dragon btw, who is going to stop a war between dragons and humans tongue.gif

That sounds pretty interesting. :3 Good luck!

-screams- I DIDN'T LOSE MY NANO AFTER ALL! I lost a little progress, but I actually sent someone the vast majority while looking for advice and it's still saved!

YES!

-screams- I DIDN'T LOSE MY NANO AFTER ALL! I lost a little progress, but I actually sent someone the vast majority while looking for advice and it's still saved!

YES!

Congrats! Good to hear it's not all lost! O_O

YES!

Congrats! I'm so happy for you! As somebody who knows the pain of losing a lot of work, I'm really glad you were able to recover the most of it! Have some congrats cake! biggrin.gif -offers congrats cake-

Okay, back on track. Wrote a little less than 7k words today, which is really for yesterday, meaning I'm caught up. Just have to make sure to write the proper amount of words tomorrow which is technically today. x3

*shrugs* well, I commandeered the computer, getting special from my Dad to kick people of of it when I'm going to be working on my WriMo (though so far, I haven't really needed to), and after that, I began using my tricks...

1) I've had my story's plot in my head, nice and fresh, for a few months, and it's a prequel to a story I immensely enjoyed writing. So, I'm writing in a setting I'm used to and like (as in, a LOT).

2) Since I started on day six, I have had to do some MAJOR catching up, so I chose a word count goal above what was suggested, so I'd get caught up quicker.

3) After I chose that count, I forced myself to stick to it like a pizza sauce stain to whites, even if it killed me. That includes writing even if I don't really feel like it, because I know that I can turn out something at least half ways decent even if I don't really want to.

Thing is, for me at least, I already know a lot about my characters and their world, so it's like working with an old, really good, friend. My characters and plot cooperate perfectly with me (for the most part). That's actually most of the reason why I've been able to do 3 to 4k in one day. If you have a serious problem hitting your own word count goal, then think. Do you like what you're writing about? Is it just some Writer's Block?

If the answer is no to the former, then by all means, either drop that plot idea (or whatever else bothers you) or just start writing, and eventually something's bound to pop into your head again for a plot/world/MC name, whatever it was.

If it's Writer's Block, then just keep going, even if you know it's going to seem like crap for a while. Switch to a different character's PoV next chapter if you can and see if writing from a different view point helps your muse! Just keep writing.

Now then, to do some of my 4k to get caught up, then off to math class. Should my advice not help, I apologize, since it doesn't always work.

See you at the finish line!

Tips for exceeding your word count:

1. (one I'm not using right now) Give a prominent character a two-word name (i.e., Mary Ann) and address them that way each and every time.

2. Base a character off of someone interesting you know in real life, and have them find similar adventures.

3. Word sprints are your friend - I have gotten over a thousand words in 30 minutes doing these.

4. Ongoing arguments. . .my MCs are scuba divers and wannabe marine biologists, and they have spent at least two scenes arguing about the taxonomic classification of the megalodon shark (I won't bore you with it. . .but it's getting funny).

I'll probably cheat a little and start my prologue/dedications page sometime this week, but I might be going on a day trip tomorrow so I need to get farther ahead fast! But a few years ago, I wrote 14k words on the 27th after getting behind, just by locking myself in my bedroom with my computer.

I finally got to 33,000 for the past few days i have been quite slow... been getting more busy...

@cocoaloco--I'm actually revisiting a universe I envisioned sometime last year, one that just sprung to life with a huge amount of detail in a very short amount of time, so I'm very familiar with how things work. I enjoy working with my characters, and know them well enough. I actually just decided to rework a project I'd started last year to fit novel format rather than a sort story/series of short stories in the same universe.

@aquamarine84--Ahahah, all four of my main protagnoists have 5 word names, and often when those names are shortened they end up being 2 names, so I'm covered there. xd.png And I've taken to referring to one of them as 'the Nameless One' until he gets his name... And I am basing one loosly off my best friend, I ask him strange questions like "What would you do if you were randomly murdered and became a ghost thing? Would you totally hunt down your killer and devour his soul or something?" xd.png

In general, though, I think my biggest problem is that I'm used to writing short stories, or tiny little oneshots that are like a page or two or three. I'm not used to writing something this long. My brain seems trained to try and convey the idea with a lower amount of words than I could take, and I keep forgetting that I can put in a huge amount of description of the area. I'm actually starting to do fairly well now that I've started taking the time to describe the setting much more than I've been previously used to.

It also doesn't help that I have all my best ideas for what to write when I don't have a computer around, ahahah... Or any way to record them... Man I need a laptop. xd.png

Well, off to use some of this insanely-long lunch break I have to write a bit in one of the computer labs here at school!

Well, I got one name sorted out, he even came with a bossy, talkative mother.

And I figured out my villain, an organization, T.H.E.M. Those Humans for the Egression of Monsters. It's fun to have characters talk about T.H.E.M.

Well, I got one name sorted out, he even came with a bossy, talkative mother.

And I figured out my villain, an organization, T.H.E.M. Those Humans for the Egression of Monsters. It's fun to have characters talk about T.H.E.M.

Hehehehe, that's a good one!

I'm 20k in and I've only just gotten to the meat of the plot. I ramble a lot, too.

Hehehehe, that's a good one!

I'm 20k in and I've only just gotten to the meat of the plot. I ramble a lot, too.

Thanks. I originally came up with T.H.E.M. for a different story, but that one got quite confusing, waay to much set-up, not enough excitement to capture the readers. But the organization of T.H.E.M. works great here too.

13,104 by NaNo. I'm behind but I can work out some more today.

Guh, hope inspiration doesn't strike when I'm grocery shopping and unable to write anything down. X.x

Also, finally got that meme worked in just now. x3 I love this little girl. There's going to be a prologue in which she's older, I want to write her more.

Edited by NixAyum

Guh, hope inspiration doesn't strike when I'm grocery shopping and unable to write anything down. X.x

All my best ideas come when I'm driving. Like when I'm going 60mph down the tollway and have no place to pull over, even though I keep paper on me at all times. :| At the very least if you had a small pad of paper and a pen(cil) you could make notes...

I actually had to pull into a parking lot on my way home from school the other day to write down detailed notes about how I want to end my story. xd.png

...And my brain keeps feeding me ideas for things that are unrelated to NaNo, and it's getting very annoying.

OH HAY. My local newspaper did a story on NaNo! It made the front page! biggrin.gif Okay, off to write, hopefully I can get the ending down as I envisioned it!

Wokay. I'm slowly catching up, but I'm not sure what's going to happen when I can't write for a day... Urgh.

I am very behind where I should be, but I am continuing, writing when I can. Some characters are much more helpful than others. Thank you Noemi. And you, give me your name.