Juzz

The Requiem: The Girl From the Sky

Alazne stiffened when the woman who presumably travelled with the panther lashed out at her, before she ignored her completely. She didn't like her... Not at all. But she couldn't start a fight, either. Not only had the fighting just ceased and they were starting to move, but it was unsuitable behaviour for a knight to fight over such a small matter. But that didn't mean she liked the girl, or that it was fine to behave the way she had.

Her attention turned back to the woman who'd fought the panther, and she smiled. "There is no reason for you to apologize." Besides, she'd already decided that she didn't like the girl, but she wouldn't create a scene. Turning fully towards the woman, she smiled again. "My name is Alazne Lilija de Clare, it's nice to meet you, Maro." Her eyes went to her hands and the bandages she was applying, and she frowned concerned. "Are you all right?" Remembering that she wasn't the only one in the fight, she added a few words. "And what about your companion?"

Jin harrumphed in protest at Cloud's comment, "Well when you've had no one but the occasional tree to talk to for the most part of two years you store up a lot of vocal energy."

Jin shrugged, locking his hands behind his shoulders again, "Yeah, I'm sure the place has gotten pretty dull without me."

He focused his attention back to Lucifer, "Well most of it is a secret, especially since Cloud Sempai is here," he added, "but pretty much I've been training myself for survival and carrying out any type of mission I may be sent on. In Azure we only train for a certain amount of time before we have to go out on our own, gain knowledge and skill, and come back to take the final test, that's where I'm headed now."

He thought back to what he had done over the past two years, "So let's see, more specifically I've spent most of my time travelling. If I come to a large town I ask about odd and dangerous work to be done and that helps, or I follow people around, or stalk them by night, then leave before anyone has much time to get to know my face. I've dabbled in espionage, spying, street fighting, even had a run in with a nasty old wizard type, nearly vaporized me with a lightning storm, apparently I was eating out of his vegetable garden, that's what he claims, but you see, the garden had no fence and was the size of a small forest so I really had no idea it belonged to anyone."

Jin continued recalling the less secretive events he had undertaken recently, "recently I've been fighting animals, or sneaking up on them. I fought mountain lions to test reflexes, bears I chose for strength, and wolves for cunning, ah yes and I've been trying to sneak up on birds but no luck, they're just too paranoid."

Jin smiled, glad someone might be interested in his story, and glad that Cloud had to listen to it whether he liked to or not, he would have to explain things to him sometime or other anyways.

"The lions were fast, I decided I hate cats," he glanced at Lucifer's panther, "present company aside that is. The bears were strong, but slow, the wolves... they were trouble, always kept surrounding me it was very nerve wracking, and just because I don't have any scars to show for it doesn't mean it's not true," he added, "Some people think of their scars as war badges or some such, Cloud maybe could explain that I haven't the foggiest idea as to why, to me they're just proof that you were too slow, or untrained, or just in over your head, I'd rather not fit into any of those categories... though I have been in over my head a few times, that was fun."

Edited by Rakashua

Sei quietly listened to the conversation of his companions as he munched on his shiny red apple. Wish I have nice stories like them... he sighed as he turned back his head onto the path. The surrounding was rather warm, even the soft breeze was rather tepid, considering that it was already afternoon. For some animals, it's hunting time, for others, it's sleep time, so it was rather quiet. The foot steps and voices of the travelers almost echoes throughout the serene forest. "They seem rather cheerful" Sei muttered to himself as he smiled weakly as he decided to put all focus in leading them.

Edited by Juzz

If Cloud could have, and he was thinking of it, he would have glued Jin's mouth shut. The more he thought about it the more he wanted to do it but he couldn't....well not infront of ladies of course and another Knight but when he got him on his own...yes.

"And so the almighty Jin fights mountain lions in his spare time but still couldn't score a lady for his life!" Cloud joked at him knowing it would make him blush and angry. He couldn't help himself from saying, he couldn't really talk either! Sure there had been women but that was before he became a full Knight, man he missed the days of chasing after them on festival nights or just ordinary nights when him and the lads got bored stiff.

((OOC: Post has been edited))

Maro looked up in surprise when Alazne asked if she was alright. Then she realized that it was because she had been wrapping her hands in bandages. She considered the questions. "Yes, I'll be fine. I've dealt with much worse than a few scratches from an Ocelot. As for my friend..."

She looked down at the wolf. He was panting in the heat of the day, but he wasn't limping. She noted that he was constantly staring at the panther, but he didn't look scared. She paused a moment to feel around his neck for bite wounds. Feeling only small bumps and no open wounds, she felt over his back. There was perhaps a tuft of fur missing, but now Maro could see clearly that the panther hadn't been serious about killing her dog.

She frowned, straightening. "I think he's fine. Thank you for your concern." She smiled up at Alazne. "Could-could you watch him a moment? I'd prefer not to pass the Puma with him, I'll be right back." Then she turned to the wolf, a serious look on her face. "You stay here with the horse, got it? Stay-heel," she finished. The wolf's eyes left the panther to acknowledge Maro. Maro smiled. "Be right back."

She jogged past the brown horse, and then she trotted between Cloud and Lucifer. "Pardon me," she said as she interrupted their conversation. She continued past them.

She ended her jogging at the front of the group, next to Sei. She adjusted her mask upon arriving, as a line of sweat had been building on the bridge of her nose. Walking alongside Vei, she took a deep breath of the fresh afternoon air.

"I'll be right back. I've been here before, and I believe there's a good patch of fruit to the left of this trail."

With that, she dashed off into the forest a short distance. In truth, she only wanted some time alone. She wouldn't have minded having her wolf-dog with her, but she left him with Alazne as a sign of gratefulness.

Her mind wandered, analyzing what she had learned about the group that day. She decided that Cloud could no longer be viewed as a leader of the group. He may be the strongest or bravest or even the smartest, but if he was too busy with his own agenda(s) to lead the group, then he wasn't much of a leader.

Humans were so strange.

Of course, there was nothing wrong with Cloud not being the leader. She just thought his behavior was strange. It seemed familiar to her, but she couldn't recall where from. She had seen other boys act this way... hm...

She decided that Sei was the leader. Yes, Sei, the supposed coward. In truth, she thought him braver than the rest of the group. "There's more to bravery than the ability to fight without fear," she told herself as she absent-mindedly searched for a bush of berries. "After all, if one never fears, one can never be brave. Isn't that right?"

No one answered.

She laughed to herself. The boy named Jin, the one who seemed to know Cloud... he was a strange boy. He seemed to act younger than he looked, and Cloud often looked like he wanted to smack him.

Alazne seemed very virtuous and... well, knightly. Maro wondered if it was easier for a woman to be a knight than it was for a man. Either way, Maro knew she and Alazne would get along well.

Nixa, of course, Maro respected and appreciated. Nixa seemed organized, logical and straightforward. She stayed out of fights, and therefore made no enemies.

Sei seemed nice enough. He didn't really seem to know who he was, Maro decided, but he had a good heart, or so it seemed.

Maro saw Vei as an intelligent, unique creature. Her only worry was that some people (not in the group, but in villages) might see her as an excellent way to make money... dead or alive.

Cloud was brave and organized. He could handle himself well in a fight without getting distracted or over zealous. He was a little picky, she thought, but his skill seemed to make up for that.

Blazer his horse was extremely intelligent, and was quite tolerant of different people (of course, nobody tried to ride him but Cloud). He seemed loyal to his owner.

And Lucifer... well, she had problems. Maro had a hard time believing that the mark had actually showed on Luci's forehead. Still, she knew she'd have to deal with her, but dealing with her wasn't the problem. It was dealing with...

Lorkin. Maro had been quite tempted to get rid of the creature. Now that she had seen it hadn't done any serious damage to her friend, she wasn't so frustrated with it. Still, if its owner didn't control it, there would be problems. Lorkin seemed to own Lucifer, not the other way around.

Maro then realized that the group had passed her position, and so she began to return...

~The wolf looked curiously up at Alazne and wagged its tail once, as though greeting her. It sniffed her leg, then glanced around the forest as though expecting to see Maro.~

Edited by LadyNatasha

Lucifer burst into peals of laughter, imagining Cloud chasing after girls. It would be such a sight to see. She couldn't really imagine Jin doing it either, although it would be more probable than Cloud. "I've never really courted anyone." The girl grinned, "Although there have been a couple who thought themselves able to." They had all learned the hard way as she led them deep into the forest and left them there. To this day, she still wasn't sure if any of them were alive. But does it really matter? Lucifer thought. It was their own fault anyways.

There was one guy she had really liked though, she thought mournfully, but he wasn't alive anymore. He had decided that duty was more important and left to go to the war. But he hadn't made it. From then on, Duty, to her, was just the excuse that the governments made to get people to fight. But in the end, it's nothing but death and bloodshed. Suddenly, Lorkin gave a little shiver of excitement and Lucifer looked around, jerked out of her reveries. They were at a small stream. She had found the panther here, when he had been a tiny cub. Probably abandoned by his parents for his puny size. But despite his former condition, he had grown up to be rather large, even for his kind.

Jin gave cloud a deathly look, something he didn't do often, and perhaps Cloud hadn't realized the nerve he'd struck, on the other hand, perhaps he had, and had dome so to shut him up.

"That's not funny," he said quietly, though Lucifer could still hear him, "You know why I can't involve someone that closely until I become a knight. And if you're too dense to put it together let me jog your memory."

Jin absently scratched at his eye patch, the thing itched horribly whenever he got angry, it was like an allergic reaction, and an annoying one.

"I can't involve someone for the same reason I was sent to train in solitude two years ago, the same reason I was given the choice between death and solitary confinement in a monastery with a bunch of bald monks, a decision you knew all about sempai." Jin spat out the word like a curse, pointing an accusing finger at Cloud, "You can but don't, I can't risk it, I'm forbidden. Don't think you can understand how I feel just because you know what happened five years ago. I spent three years in that monastery, learning how to survive alone, without friends, or family, or loved ones, I learned personal balance, not because I wanted to, not like the other monks who chose to leave friends and love on the wayside for the sake of meditation and learning! I did it just to survive long enough to become a knight, after the final test, I won't have this burden anymore."

Jin continued walking but his shoulders and arms were tense, his teeth gritted together.

After a moment though he relaxed, "forget about it, it's an old wound, I'll talk with you later, alone."

Jin sighed and forced a smile, returning to Lucifer's comment, "Sounds like you've got my problem, sort of at least," he smiled over at her, "I can't tell you why, at least not unless I have permission, but I can say that I too would need to find someone strong enough and willing to take a little risk if I were to court them as you put it."

He grinned, "Think of me as raw magic energy, if you're careful and controlling you can focus a me into a powerful destructive force, but if you lose control I will consume you instead."

Jin scratched his head, "sorry I guess that's a bad analogy, suffice to say I won't be sharing a room with anyone, well maybe Cloud here, if he wants to risk it." Jin shot Cloud a deadly glare again, but this time it was more challenging and friendly than like deadly poison, "you could gain a whole new appreciation for my situation sempai, maybe you'd have an easier time dealing with me afterwards."

Cloud kinda felt bad now that Jin went on explaining it, he should have thought before he had spoken but that was another flare with Cloud you could say.

"Easy Jin, I know. I was outta line but some of us don't have the freedom you got right now and all you can think about is becoming a full Knight! Mabye later when we find some Inn I can explain more...ya know cause of some things" he added cocking an eyebrow at the surrounding people mainly because he couldn't say anything infront of them.

"Just take you time, and think about it thats all I'm saying" he finally said continuing to walk on when he remembered the comment about sharing a room with Jin.

"Hm...taking my own life into my own hands by sleep in the same room as you.....hard choice there" he pretended to think before smiling.

"We do have an awful lot to catch up on anyway....but I swear if you snore I will throw you out the window!" he warned but was laughing.

Lucifer ran her fingers through Lorkin's scruff and shook her head. "We're not stopping here Sweetie." She whispered in his ear. He responded by snorting and shaking his head. She sat back up and looked at Cloud. "We're almost there. I can hear lots of movement up ahead." The girl shook her head, trying to block out the noise. That was one reason she stayed so far from civilization. Everyone and everything was so noisy. Lucifer had always lived on the edge of society, even when she was a kid. She was always being tossed around by her first family, the one that had found her in a nearby forest. Their kids didn't like her, always taunting her about her looks and origin. They had said that her parents had probably abandoned her for fear she was a witch. With her dark black hair( the red streaks hadn't appeared until she was about 10) and mis-matched eyes.

Lucifer winced. She hadn't thought about that for years. The memory was a terrible one, for when she was about 10, she had a huge fight with the kids. Accidentally killing one of them. They threw her out into the bitter night and left her. Forever. It was for the better though, the girl had always thought, at least she won't be picked on anymore. But she had been wrong. A few days after that, she had wandered into a town, despite all the harrowing noise. Which was probably what had drawn her there in the first place. Curiousity. Lucifer had been picked up by yet another family. This one had been a bit nicer but still. A year later, she had decided that the life wasn't for her. So she had escaped out into the forest again.

Lucifer was jerked out of her memories by a sudden shouting. There was a strange group of men coming at them from up the road. They didn't look too pleased.

Maro came out of the woods near the front of the group, having shifted alongside them. She was about to say something to them when suddenly she saw a group of men up ahead. They weren't the same bandits as before, but they didn't look friendly. She frowned. More trouble already?

Then she smiled and stepped forward in front of her own group. "Hullo, gentlemen. We're just passing by here, if you don't mind..."

They did seem to mind. She swallowed as they just stood there and stared. Their shouting had disappeared, and now a deathly silence filled the air. Maro cleared her throat. "Yes, well then, I guess we'll be on our way..."

She took one step forwards and the men shifted in a position to block the trail. She was still about ten feet away from the nearest one, and by now her own group had caught up. She inwardly groaned, only guessing where this was leading...

Lucifer nudged Lorkin gently and he stalked forward, bristeling. "We're just trying to get to town." She said, glaring at them. "But it would be nice to get some exercise first." The panther, as if in answer, bared his teeth at them, hissing. "So I'd suggest you get out of the way." He walked towards a slight gap, still bristeling angrily. The men there shifted towards it determinedly, although there was fear in their eyes. Suddenly, one stepped out from the rest. "I know you." He snarled, meeting Lucifer's burning glare. "I warned you not to come back here again."

She spat disdainfully at him and replied, "I'll do what I want to. And I want to go to town. So move it!" Lorkin clawed at the air in front of him with sharp claws, as if anticipating a battle. "But I can't be the only reason." Lucifer said, after thinking for a bit. "Or else you wouldn't have brought so many people. So what is it?" She was mad now, not used to being denied. If she hadn't had people with her, she would've already leaped into battle. But as she did, she held back, waiting.

Jin smiled up at Cloud then, "I know, and I'm sorry sempai, that's another thing that builds up over time when you're not around people, not just the desire to talk, but to vent as well I suppose."

Jin suddenly paused, noting the obstruction to their path, he skipped quickly ahead and ended up next to Lucifer, staff in hand now, but only as a walking implement at the moment.

"Take it easy Lu," he chided Lucifer, "think about the situation. If these fine people don't want us in town and they're determined to keep us out by means of violence we will have two options, either not go into town, or beat them up and then go into town, in which case the rest of the town will be against us for what we did and we'll be forced to leave anyways. Therefore the only course of action that will get us into town will be diplomacy."

Jin spoke loud enough for everyone to hear him, though he directed his comments mostly at Lucifer and her big cat.

"Now," he addressed the people, "before we start killing one another, why don't you all have a nice chat with Cloud Sempai," Jin pointed back at Cloud, "he should have paperwork or orders or something that will get us into your town like it or not, so long as we all behave. Right Sempai?"

Lucifer glared at the men, "I'm getting in whether they like it or not." Giving an angry look at them, she twirled her scimitar around threateningly. "Besides, I doubt paperwork matters that much. Paper can always be lost. Or ripped apart." The man that had confronted her earlier pulled out a club, as if daring her to attack. Laughing, she eyed the chunk of wood, mockingly saying, "What? You about to hit me with that chicken leg?" Then, realising what she had just said, she laughed even harder. To her, it looked rather like a huge chicken leg. Lorkin snuffled with laughter, thumping the ground with a gigantic paw.

"Sorry." Lucifer laughed, fighting off more laughter, "I meant that twig of yours."

Cloud shifted in the saddle as he saw the way Lucifer had suddenly stiffened and was looking ahead, following her gaze he saw a group of rather angry looking men ahead.

"Just great...what I would do for a seista right now" he muttered to himself sitting up tall in the saddle like a Knight should and riding Blazer forward. He turned his head slightly to look at Jin while the two girls tried to reason with the men when one yelled out that he had told Lucifer to not come back.

"There goes that plan" he thought sourly before racing through his mind trying to form a plan, he looked to Jin as if to say "wanna do something?" before he stepped forward to do something himself. It was time for the fancy pansy words again.

"High ho fellow men of the Kingdom! May the sky bring fortune to your lands!" he cried out in a bright and cheerfull voice sounding as if nothing was wrong at all.

"What brings dark clouds over your heads? May my mighty sword clear this cloud away? Speak for tis my duty!" He called out to them allowing Blazer to walk forward, he then thought about what Lucifer had said and needed to come up with something for her as well!

"Surely not this dear traveller 'ere! Why this fine girl is aiding me in finding this man's stolen items! She is doing a good deed!" he said plastering a shocked experisson across his face as if the mere notion that Lucifer was a thief was out rageous.

Cloud glared at the man with the club in his hand, "Now really! Do you honestly want to attack an Azure Knight? You all know the storied about us..." he said letting the sentence trail off giving the statement time to sink into their thick skulls

(got ninja.gif ))

Edited by Saphira-dragon

Stiffling her laughter, Lucifer straightened back up. Trying not to giggle as Cloud described her as a fine girl, doing good deeds, she buried her face in Lorkin's fur. Finally, putting on an annoyed face( not very successfully), she glared at them again, "If he doesn't chop you up into pieces, I will. Along with that piece of meat of yours." Realising her secound, mistake, a grin twitched at the side of her mouth. Holding it back, Lucifer continued, "Or branch. Or whatever it is."

...I guess I'm a little hungry. She thought to herself, twirling a strand of hair. Chewing on it, she turned to Jin, "You got anything to eat? Before I confuse that club with food again? Cause that thing'll break my teeth if I accidentally bite it."

"Alright" Smiling Alazne looked at the dog, standing still while it smelled her. She had no problems with it being left with her, as she loved dogs. "I'm Alazne, nice to meet you." She probably sounded silly to anyone who might or might not be listening to her speak, but who cared. She didn't. Straightening from the slight crouch she'd been standing in, she looked towards where Maro had gone, and realized with a start that the whole group was quite some way in front of her. She should really try to catch up with them... And Maro had gone that way as well, so it should be fine if she moved.

Grabbing the reins of the brown horse, she smiled at the dog again. "Shall we walk, then?" If she lost the group she would be totally lost again; even more than she'd been before she found them, because she'd gone off the track to find them. The thought made her quicken her pace, and soon she could see the rest of the group, standing... still? Why were they standing still? Weren't they moving... Somewhere? Suddenly she realized no one had answered her question about where they were going, but as long as it was out of the forest she guessed it didn't matter much.

Coming closer she spotted someone across from the group, and they didn't seem very happy. Walking a bit further she came within earshot, and her eyes snapped to Hattori as she realized he was saying something. Diplomacy? Well, yes, to talk it out would be greatly preferred over beating them into the ground, at least in her opinion. Her eyes turned to Cloud when he gestured towards him, and she had to smile. She doubted he had any paperwork that would help them get into the town, but he might have that 'or something'.

Her eyes turned towards Lucifer when she started to talk, and they narrowed again. Why was she baiting them? It was just stupid to provoke a fight for no apparent reason when the conflict might be solved without any fighting. Her attention changed once again, with a small jump, as Cloud started to talk (rather loudly) with a choice of words that she personally thought fit better in during a formal oath. It did seem to make an impression on the men though, and she had to smile slightly at their face when he suddenly stopped using those words and ended his speech with a threat.

"No one will chop anyone into pieces. At least not with my participation." She turned slightly annoyed eyes towards Lucifer as she continued to taunt the men. If they started to chop each other up, she would leave. At least she knew the general direction out of the forest, now.

Edited by Saikachan

"Lucifer!" Cloud hissed from the corner of his mouth as he heard her taunting the men, "I will leave you here if you don't behave! Get your revenge later when you won't get us all in trouble!" he hissed at her throwing her a quick look to get his point across, he caught the sight of Alazne behind him and her comment. Surely the men wouldn't attack if two Knights were here.

"Thats right, we just want to pass into town for the roads aren't like they once were and....I hear the nightlife here is unreal!" he exclaimed trying for another side with the men lowering himself down from being a Knight, hopefully he wanted to take their attention away from the others so they could get passed alright.

"I hear the beer here is something to die for!" he exclaimed again looking bright eyed looking from the face of each man to the next hoping one would rise to his challenge. "I could really do with lifting my spirits and anyway, my gold goes rusty in my pocket. I'm sure ye men could do with a fine drink after such long days in the fields..." He commented smiling honestly towards them.

Jin kept his mouth shut, but only because he was afraid that he may burst out laughing if he said anything, besides Cloud seemed to have it handled.

He reached into his pouch and rummaged around, eventually coming out with a few sticks of dried venison he had salted and dehydrated himself a few weeks ago.

He didn't take his eyes of the men closest to him, but rather tossed the meat to Lucifer, accidentally tossing one piece too low so that it nearly landed across her cat's nose, after all, the cat was probably hungry as well.

Glancing down at what he had left he shrugged and popped the last stick into his own mouth and began chewing, eager to see how this confrontation would turn out.

Lucifer caught the dried meat and chewed on a piece gingerly. She wasn't very fond of meat. Except for seafood. She loved seafood. Especially shrimp. Although they were such a pain to catch. But the venison would do for now. Looking down, she watched Lorkin pop the whole piece in his jaws and chomp on it. It was gone in a few secound. Handing him another piece, she continued working on her own.

Trying to keep her face straight as Cloud talked about the scenery and beer, Lucifer looked around. The men were still standing there, resolute but slightly worried now. Guess they hadn't known there were 2 knights in the group. The girl chuckled to herself. She had firsthand experienced the beer. It was terrible. And the nightlife was to die for. Literally.

The wolf-dog wagged its tail enthusiastically as Alazne spoke to it. It stayed right at her side... until it saw the group of men up ahead. The hair on its back rose. It glanced once more at Alazne as she spoke, as if to make sure she was safe, and then it trotted up to Maro at the front of the group. It trotted around Blazer's right side, as to stay away from Lorkin, but it was too busy being interested in the group of men to really notice Lorkin right then. It reached Maro and sat at her right side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

((OOC: We're all allowed to RP the side characters, right?))

The men looked at each other, rather unnerved now by the presence of two knights alongside the thief they hated. Still, it was hard to say anything against the armed group. Both of the knights had strong mounts and sharp weapons. The thief was riding a panther, and now a wolf came in sight as well.

Suddenly the prospect of a friendly drink seemed... well, better.

The leader was still standing his ground, but the others looked like they would rather back down. Finally, one of them stepped forwards and addressed Cloud: "Do you guarantee, as a 'knight' (said mockingly almost), that you will not allow this... this thief to take anything from us? Is she under your control?"

The leader glared angrily at the speaker, but didn't say anything.

~~~~~~~~~~

Maro's lip twitched with the last words. Under Cloud's control? I think the only thing he has under control right now is Blazer.

Still, she hoped Cloud would answer wisely, and Lucifer would not get too upset.

She watched Jin throw venison to Lucifer, and she frowned at her own hunger. Sure, she had eaten some when she had been in the forest, but it hadn't been much.

Her hand was suddenly touched by a wet nose, and she glanced down to see her wolf at her side. She really hoped she wouldn't have to draw her weapons...

The sky was about half full with white clouds. There was a slight breeze coming from the east, blowing unlucky leaves across the trail of the group. The sun was currently hidden by a cloud, so the whole scene was shaded. Still, in the distance, patches of sunlight could be seen...

Jin decided to speak up then instead of remaining silent or waiting for Cloud's response.

It was a worthy question and he had half expected something like that to happen, on the other hand his care for Lucifer as a human being (and as he would have felt towards anyone who was faced with spending any amount of time specifically under Cloud's supervision), compelled him to offer an alternative to Cloud.

After all, Cloud sempai was neat and strong and interesting, but his idea of fun was very dull and rather boring in Jin's mind. Of course, Jin assumed from what he had seen that Lucifer would probably agree with his opinion, besides, Cloud would probably think the whole idea would be such a drag anyways.

"If I may," Jin interjected before Cloud could respond, "Cloud Sempai, I volunteer to stick with Lucifer and keep the both of us out of trouble while we're in the village." Jin gave Cloud his best 'no really I promise to actually be serious this time' smile.

He then glanced at Lucifer to catch her approval or disapproval of his idea, even from what she'd seen of Cloud thus far, he was sure she'd at least consider it a better trade off. Nothing against Cloud, he just wasn't a social butterfly, as Jin fancied himself on occasion... Which may or may not be true, but these things just made sense in Jin's mind, however disconnected from reality it may actually be.

Cloud was about to answer their question unsure as to how Lucifer was going to react when thankfully Jin spoke up taking Lucifer under his own wing, he turned his head to look at him to see if he was serious and mouthed thank you to him. He turned back to the men nodding his head towards Jin.

"The boy shall make sure of it, I have no doubt that he shall keep her under his ever watchfull eye...now if we have all this cleared up, I do believe the first round is on me men!" he called out nudging Blazer forward so as to approach them, they still looked very uncertain as he neared them. "My word as a knight" Cloud added as he stood right infront of them, they paused before nodding giving Lucifer a look before turning to lead Cloud to the nearest pub.

Cloud looked back at the group giving them a half hearted smile, "They so totally owe me!" he muttered under his breath as he followed them.

Lucifer gave Jin a slight nod, although her eyes were burning in anger. She was under nobody's control. Woe betide them if they tried. Noticing that the others were far away now, she made a quick decision. As she tapped Lorkin lightly to start moving again, she looked at the person who had spoken. Gazing away again, she checked out their surroundings. Suddenly, yelps filled the air as the man rolled on the ground, swatting at himself. "Something wrong?" She asked, a wry grin curling the edges of her lips. The area around him was bathed in a bright light.

Lucifer kept going, ignoring his agonized screaming. The fire wouldn't burn out without her order. And she won't be putting it out til she felt like it. Catching up to the others, in a much better mood, she rode next to Jin. "So... what are we doing here again? The drink is terrible." She muttered

"No!" shouted the boy as he shot out of bed, it was as if he was having a nightmare. He held his head with his right hand, breathing heavily while pulling down his messy brown hair. The sunlight was peeking out the curtains as morning greeted him, along with the sounds of the people who were getting ready to start their day. What happened again? Where am I? he thought, rubbing his left eye with his small hands. He looked around the room as he began to recall the previous events.

Lemme see... If I remember correctly, yesterday, I was leading everyone to Reaven Town when some guys blocked us... And then... We found an inn, Cloud and the others stayed downstairs to drink while I went straight to bed... Sei was in deep thought as usual while he made a change of clothes. He also began to clean up his things, picking them up one by one. "Reaven Town... Guess were officially out of Kevia..." he muttered to himself, his tone seemed rather sad. After packing up, he rushed downstairs and ordered breakfast as he awaited for his 'comrades'. All their 'pets' were in the stable since they're not allowed inside the inn. The inn Cloud and the others stayed in was pretty much like the one in Kevia, just smaller and a bit less livelier. It's a town after all, compared to the Central City of Kevia where they started in.

There were only five or six other people in the bar (first floor of all inns is a bar), there were two in one table to his far top left and three others who were drinking just right beside his table. He sighed feeling a a out of place, seeing that those people seemed like experienced travelers. He on the other hand is a weak and coward boy who cannot even use a low level magic. Magic can be used by everyone, even a four year-old, if taught right, can use it. It was actually strange that he cannot create even just a tiny spark. It's actually very rare to find someone with no magical capability, even rarer than someone who is a genius magic wielder.

While Sei was contemplating in what he must do now, especially with all the talk about 'The Requiem', a woman approached him. She was the owner of the inn, the same person who took his order a little while ago. Her light-brown hair was tied back in a bun. She was actually beautiful, her skin was pearl-white, her eyes matches the color of her hair. She was wearing a dark green dress along with a white apron. "Here's your order" she smiled as she put down a plate of freshly cooked scrambled eggs with some bacon in the side. "Oh. Thank you" he suddenly blurted out, mesmerized by her beautiful smile. He began to eat as he watched her return to the counter.

As he ate quietly, noise began to concentrate right outside the inn's door. It didn't seem to be a big deal, but it sounded a bit disturbing, like some guys were harassing someone, or at least trying to get a certain someone to come with them. The voices sounded a bit familiar too. They sounded a lot like the men from yesterday, not only that, they sounded drunk. I've better not get myself involved he thought as he tried to ignore it. He was feeling a bit guilty and curious, but Sei restrained himself. I can't do anything anyway... Besides, it's early in the morning. Someone's bound to do something about it...

Edited by Juzz

"Give it back!" the shout of a young girl echoed slightly in the alleyway.

"It's just a stick," a slurred voice responded.

In the middle of the alley a young girl was hemmed in by four men who's voices resembled those of some of the men who had been on the path yesterday, though they were slurred with strong drink.

One of them, the leader apparently, held a freshly carved rod in his hand, just out of reach of the young teen who was grabbing for it.

"oof!" The girl cried out as he slammed the stick into her belly, knocking her back against the wall of the alleyway.

"hmph," the men leader sneered while the others laughed, "serves you right, you've been nothing but trouble since that stranger was run out of town over a month ago, an I'm not puttin up with it no more."

"Ung, scum," the girl hissed, sucking in air as she tried to recover her breath, "civil authority pah! you're just second rate thugs, takin advantage of the less well off an robin your own neighbors!"

"Well now she has a mouth on her doesn't she boys?" the leader laughed, "I think you should come with us, lock you up in a nice..."

CRASH

A appeared, buried two feet into the rock pavement of the alleyway, right in front of the girl. It was nearly as thick as the girl's arm, and from one end to the other ran a series of symbols carved into the dense Iron-Wood.

The men stared, the girl as well, both sides were a bit perplexed but for different reasons.

The girl suddenly smiled, rising to her feet she ripped the staff out of the ground and swung it at the leader of the men, he was closest to her, and unprepared, the pole connected solidly with the side of his head and he went down, unconscious.

A second man went down by the time the other two drew their swords, cursing as they charged at her.

A moment later they too lay on the ground, out cold.

The girl was panting and sweat dripped from her chin as she walked back over to the leader and raised the familiar staff again. She raised it all the way over her head and brought it down with vicious speed, targeting the man's scull.

CRUNCH

The girl's hands shook slightly as a familiar man seemed to appear out of nowhere. It was the mysterious stranger from a few months back, Jinjekkai.

He appeared, sitting on the man's chest, one hand raised over his head, which caught the staff mid swing, in the other hand he held a piece of straw he was chewing on through the grin on his face.

"And that," he nodded at the girl, "is why I didn't throw you a dagger." He glanced at his hand as the girl pulled the staff back. The gauntlet he had summoned was cracked, and he frowned that wasn't supposed to happen, he was about to take it off when he heard a wooshing sound and looked back up in time to see his staff come hurling at his face.

"whoops!" he flipped over backwards, just in time to avoid being hit.

SLAM The staff gouged out a few stones from the side of the building.

"that was rude," he commented, "uh oh."

He rolled backwards and leapt away as the staff was swung repeatedly in his direction, gouging out small craters in the stone floor of the alley each time it struck. After a moment Jin found himself backed up against the wall of the alley facing the girl he had just saved, who appeared to be bent on killing him with his own staff.

She was panting with effort but still swung the thick staff as if it were no more than a twig in her hands.

"That's enough of that," Jin grunted, catching the staff with his one gauntlet hand as it flew at him again. He gritted his teeth as the gauntlet shattered against the blow and his hand felt a bit numb.

The girl jerked back on the staff and Jin's feet slid for a moment before he came up with a better stance. He then pivoted and lifted the staff into the air, girl and all.

The girl let go of the staff, dropping to the stony ground. She pointed an accusing finger at him, "Why! Why did you stop me..." she tears began to run down her face.

"You're far too young to be killing," Jin replied, "Mira, they didn't need to die."

Mira shouted back at him, "that's easy for you to say! You don't have to live in the streets, or worry about being caught by drunken perverts like them, you've never seen what they do to us, you know nothing!"

A group of younger children seemed to emerge from the shadows of the alley, stepping cautiously into the light and taking up positions along with Mira. They were all fairly thin, Jin remembered them as well, more orphans, some of the newer ones he didn't recognize though, their clothed looked like they could have come from Kevia, and he was reminded of the cost of war.

"You have a gift Mira, and I taught you to use it to defend yourself and the rest of the children. I taught you defense, not killing." Jin replied, strapping his staff back in it's position on his back.

"You taught me to fight. If I don't kill the problem it won't ever go away." Mira responded, pointing at the men who were still out cold. Oblivious to the fact that their lives hung in a delicate balance between a young teen bent on their destruction, and the man they had run out of town a few months ago.

"No," Jin's voice erupted like a volcano, and the kids hid behind Mira, who backed up slightly, "killing is not the answer," his voice softened a bit, "you do not have to become evil to defeat it, and if you can't find balance in yourself, you can't expect balance from others."

"But..." Mira began, however Jin interrupted her as he flipped over their heads and landed on the other side.

"Come on kids, I'll buy everyone breakfast, how does that sound?"

A cheer went up from the children and they all left Mira, and turned to follow Jin. Mira too followed after him, leaving the men in the alley alive, but it was obvious she was sulking.

A moment later, Jin walked into the inn with an entourage of twelve kids and one sulking teenager following after him.

"Remember my rule," he reminded them, "only polite children eat, no foul language, no eating with your hands, and absolutely no pickpocketing!"

The kids nodded enthusiastically and took up positions at the counter as the owner, a fine woman by the name of Rachel. She gave Jin a look and he bowed politely to her.

"You're paying for all of them?" Rachel questioned.

Jin tossed the appropriate number of coins onto the counter, "I've nothing better to spend my gold on."

Rachel smiled at him and proceeded to take orders from the children, even Mira seemed to have relaxed somewhat and began helping the children read the menu, as most of them were illiterate.

Jin smiled, and breathed out a sigh of relief, he could finally relax himself. He noticed Sei and took up a seat opposite him.

"Good morning," he greeted, "sleep well?"