solaflar3

Head lice

I have had them 3 times. They are so annoying. My hair is thick so it takes a while to get rid of them. You almost wipe them out and then BOOM! They repopulate like over night and then you have lots more lice :<

My elementary school had a few outbreaks during my time there, but I was never affected. I can't recall if my current school has had any infestations.

Waah that's so scary reading about all of these cases. D;

My brother got lice from someone at his school a few years ago; I was so nervous and embarrassed. My mom ending up getting it, too, because she was the one who was cleaning his hair every day. My dad washed his hair just in case, but I didn't. I never got them, but I do remember laying on my bed and I looked down at my chest and one was crawling up my shirt! I ran to the bathroom and my mom squished him and flushed it. I had my head checked constantly and never got lice. <33 I hope I never will. -knocks on wood-

We've had puppies with lice at the shelter where I work. The staff who should have been bathing them were hemming and hawing because they were concerned about catching the lice themselves. Somehow, I managed to bathe two of the pups and not catch anything. The other four puppies are (a month later - I gave them their first baths but no one followed up) still infested, but they had much thicker shaggier hair. They've now been shaved in the hopes this will help.

One of my coworkers used Listerine (the original version) and vinegar on her daughter's hair. It worked, she says, though the daughter's hair smelled funny for a few days after. The last four puppies were bathed with that combo last week. Hopefully it will work for them, too.

I've never had lice myself, but I will admit to some nervous head scratching while and after I was bathing the puppies.

I've never experienced head lice. My mom thinks I'll get them, since I flat iron my hair and can't wash it and re-iron every single day. Otherwise my hair would burn and fall out...

Ive had a really dry scalp before though, especially in elementary school. I remember sitting there and just constantly scratching... Ugh. I hope I never get head lice, if just a dry scalp was that annoying.

I've never experienced head lice. My mom thinks I'll get them, since I flat iron my hair and can't wash it and re-iron every single day. Otherwise my hair would burn and fall out...

Tell your mom that lice prefer clean hair. happy.gif And they're not fond of heat, so if you did pick up any, the flat iron would kill off any nits it came into contact with.

We've had puppies with lice at the shelter where I work. The staff who should have been bathing them were hemming and hawing because they were concerned about catching the lice themselves. Somehow, I managed to bathe two of the pups and not catch anything.

Lice are species-specific. Human lice can't survive on dogs, and vice versa.

Edited by DarkLadyNyara

Two words: Lice Queen.

But really, I've never had lice.

Two words: Lice Queen.

This.

I've never had lice myself, but my cousin's cousins are constantly infested with them. I mean, it's year-round. I went there last year and asked my cousin Kat if they had lice, cousin said yes. A month ago, I asked her the same question.

I got the same answer. ._.'

But yea, I'm not to fond of lice. Because the queen fills children's heads with eggs and sends them up to wreak havoc.

Edited by Drako_tamer

Had lice a couple of times as a kid, but in both cases we got rid of them fairly quickly. It was really freaky, especially since I was petrified of bugs at that age.

Once we got the treatment, though, it was exciting for me, because I got to stay up super late and watch Star Trek while the lice treatments worked in my hair and my mom changed my sheets and took care of everything to make sure they were gone for good.

On a related note, my grandmother pulled a lovely prank on me last summer where she looked at my head, picked through my hair and told me I had bugs crawling all over the place. She led me on for like five minutes and then laughed at me when I started panicking, because she made it sound like I was completely infested with lice. But nope, nothing there. Oh Grandma.

Edited by AngelKitty

Lice are species-specific. Human lice can't survive on dogs, and vice versa.

Ooh, that's good to know. I'll have to tell the people at work who are wimping out about washing the puppies.

I've never had lice. The thought of it scares me, though, I'm terrified of bugs.

anything?? my mum has tried everything.

basically the best way is every night for around a month wash your hair, put dollops of conditioner in, brush it, comb it and then run a nit comb through it. The best one to use can be bought in boots stores or online called nitty gritty. comb every section of hair (get someone to help) paying special attention to the nape of the neck and behind the ears. after every storke was the comb so you don't re infest yourself. regularly change and wash bedding/ hats etc to ensure you splat all of them. ensure none of your family are reinfesting you.

lice have no preference over hair types/dyes/clenliness the beggers aren't fussy. there are many myths out there about them but one truth is that some lice are now resistant to anti lice shampoos.

I worked with kids with special needs and sometimes it is impossible for their parents and carers to solve headlice issues and i had them for ages. I would get rid of them then recatch them from my other half. This went on for ages and we think we became resistant to the brand of anti bug we had been using so went back to the old fashioned way.

Here are some tips for lice busting:

velociraptor.png any product which claims to work in less than 1 hour is not worth your money it needs to be on at least an hour or overnight

velociraptor.png buy a decent nit comb, preferably metal

velociraptor.png forget all sense of style and do your hair daily

velociraptor.png any treatment put on the hair repeat at weekly intervals for the next two weeks

velociraptor.png if it claims to only take one application it lies

velociraptor.png bleach/hair dye/etc will not kill them off

Edited by amerylis

EEP

i've never had it.. sounds terrible :[

It is pretty terrible. I had them once... and lets just say the whole thing gave the expression " nit-picking" a whole new vividness ( see I has a lot of long hair...not goood... at all.) I never, ever want to have them again.

Edited by LeopardDragon

Admit it, you are all absent mindedly scratching your heads now.

I was! Right before I clicked on this thread. xd.png

Anyway, i've never had lice. Someone slept over my house with lice before, but thank gosh I didn't catch it.

Oh jeez. I remember my sister getting it back when we were in grade school. I wouldn't go near her for almost a month lol. I feel horrible for anyone who gets it!

...Those parents need to be given a serious lesson on their kid's hygiene, since it's a repetitive thing.

I've had lice once, when I was 8. Nit combs aren't pleasant, and I hope I never have them again.

...Those parents need to be given a serious lesson on their kid's hygiene, since it's a repetitive thing.

I've had lice once, when I was 8. Nit combs aren't pleasant, and I hope I never have them again.

Which parents?

I had them when I was really little and once they were gone I thought that's it. But no, when I moved to a new high school this girl I used to sit next to in class gave them to me. mad.gif I could not get rid of them and we tried everything! Eventually they just dissappeared over time thankfully. Haven't had them since! But it's given me a horrible habit of picking at my scalp when I'm busy reading and don't notice. sad.gif

And yes, now I'm scratching thanks to reading this! dry.gif

I've never had them but my best friend did in second grade. Got everybody in our grade checked for it. People thought I'd have it cause of best friends being close but nope xP

I've never had to deal with them, thank God. And I don't care if saying something to the kid's parents would cause a scene. If my kid kept coming home with those things because some other parent was irresponsible, they'd know how I felt in no uncertain terms. I'd jerk a serious knot in their chain, and how they felt about it be damned.

Never had them before...to my knowledge anyways. One of my pets had fleas though and my mom got rather upset when I got into the bath with him...specially since it was my rat xd.pngrolleyes.gif

When i got lice it kept leading to debates with my parents

Mom: Check the cat! Maybe he gave it to you.

Me: LICE DOESN'T GROW ON CATS! AT LEAST HUMAN LICE DOESN'T! he might have fleas though...

Mom: still check him

Me: *facepalm, puts him on table, goes through his fur*

Cat: Mrrow?

and..

Mom: You should wash your hair more often. It's probably because you don't shower twice a day

Me; Lice like clean hair

she wouldn't believe it until our school health person told her >.<

I got it once. It's what got me started on biting my nails. D: I was gone from school for a week and a half. Stupid stubborn lice and olive oil treatments. ;o;

I got it once, in fourth grade. They'd always checked everyone's hair at school, usually at least twice a year, but they used the same pair of gloves on everyone. So yeah, that's how my sis and I got it. My mom had some angry discussions with the school about that. So next time, they ended up using new gloves just for me and my sister, and they used one pair for everyone else. But we never got it again after that.

Edited by Dawnwing