solaflar3

Head lice

It's just a myth that people with long hair catch lice easier than people with short hair, right?

Actually, no, I don't think that's a myth - most likely you've just been fortunate. Lice are pretty much spread through head-to-head contact (or contact with things that've touched an infected person's head - hats, combs, etc.). For someone with long hair, the hair's got that much more chance of touching someone else, you don't necessarily have to be quite as up close as someone with shorter hair, so...

Also, I think you hear that much more about people with long hair getting infested, because it makes it so much harder to get them out again. And also, if they wind up needing to cut it to get rid of the infestation, they may be more likely to vocally mourn the fact. ;)

I got lice a few years back...

Pfft. It wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. It was barely itchy and I was pretty heavily infested too.

This is probably bad but I kept it secret from the school xd.png I couldn't afford to miss that many days of school so...

I've never had a lice check before at school~

Edited by Dashidragon

Meh lice. D:

Yeah I've had lice 3 times. Once when I was a young kid and twice when I was like 13. The time when I was 13 I got em from my best friend. She was really poor bless her and her parents couldn't afford to buy stuff to get rid of them. Anyways my family, my best friend and my sister's friend went on vacation to the beach I had had them a few weeks from her but didn't tell my Mom. I was sitting on the bed and this big bug fell out of my hair. I was horrified. I told my Mom and she was livid. lol She had to do everyone's hair (luckily my sister was at home on her way to the beach and brought the prescription shampoo) and there was like 8 of us down there.

Edited by Indelicately

My brother had head lice before when he came back from a school trip.

I've never had head lice before, though. Sounds really irritating.

I have never had lice because I am so scary and bacwards they run from me. My guess... blink.gif

I remember we had a few checks at school... Every time a student was found out to be having lice and once or twice a year as a precaution in addition to that. As far as I know, they still do it in local schools.

Never had lice or any other parasite of the kind myself, despite of always having long hair- a bit past hipline for the past decade or so, since from back then I started to refuse having it cut back to upper back length.

In return, based on observation, even mosquitoes don't want to eat me...

Edited by Shienvien

I had lice checks when I was a kid. Never got lice though... no idea if anyone in my school ever did.

They don't do lice checks anymore? I remember going through a couple in elementary school.

I'm not sure if I had lice or not, but I've had fleas. Not fun. Imo they're worse, since they jump x_x Took forever to get rid of them. I remember sitting on the floor in front of my grandma and have her comb through my hair and get all the eggs out, not to mention all the shampoo and combing in the shower. Foreeeevvverrrrrrrrr I say X(

*itches in remembrance*

theres this girl in my class,she has head lice she always follows me and my friends,my friends never catch them! they are always playing with eachothers hair,i wish i could do that! i always seem to get head lice and can never get rid of them! my mum has tried everything and they wont go away! i even have to get my mum to cut my hair instead of going to a hair dresses,they refuse. my mum spends hours picking them out and they come back. i put hair spray in my hair everyday and still end up with them. any cures that actually might work??

anything?? my mum has tried everything.

I hated lice checks in Elementary... The nurse always pulled my hair and my scalp is very sensitive... It made getting lice all the more worse for me because then there was more yanking and pulling, and smelly shampoo... sad.gif

I do enjoy having my hair played with by someone who's gentle about it, though...but I've only experienced that once, when I got my hair cut by a professional...

@Dash: I didn't itch much either, and I was infested for years. Perhaps, though, I just became accustomed to it... I think I still scratch my head out of habit these days, even though I've been lice-free for years.

Admit it, you are all absent mindedly scratching your heads now.

So today my daughter came home from school and was scratching. And scratching. And scratching.

(I'm itching now thinking about it)

Tonight, I dumped her in the bath, washed her hair then went through it with the nit comb. Yes she has them, yet again. She has only been back at school for 3 weeks after the summer holiday.

This is the THIRD TIME this year that she has caught head lice. I know who the child is who is passing them around the group of friends. This kid is infested. But how do I bring up with her parents 'Hey, your kid keeps giving my kid nits, sort her bloody hair out will you' without it causing a scene? I know that even if I just go up to them and keep it factual they will take it the wrong way.

Oh and talk about your experiences with head lice, if you want.

(itch itch itch)

very easily. Slap her in the face and tell her to wash her kids hair.

Oh wait, you didn't want a scene?

Say, "Hey look. Wash your kids hair because she's spreading parasites to other people's kids."

theres this girl in my class,she has head lice she always follows me and my friends,my friends never catch them! they are always playing with eachothers hair,i wish i could do that! i always seem to get head lice and can never get rid of them! my mum has tried everything and they wont go away! i even have to get my mum to cut my hair instead of going to a hair dresses,they refuse. my mum spends hours picking them out and they come back. i put hair spray in my hair everyday and still end up with them. any cures that actually might work??

Have you tried Neem, Lavender oil, or Tea tree oil?

It's best if a few drops (or more) of the oil are added to a spray bottle filled with water and sprayed onto your hair after it's done in the morning.

Hope this helps smile.gif

anything?? my mum has tried everything.

Nit shampoo and careful combing. Problem is if someone *else* keeps reinfecting you then it's going to be difficult to keep them away unless that person deals with theirs.

Try mixing a bit of tea tree oil with your shampoo, and put a few drops of it in a water bottle. Every morning, have your mother spray your hair with the tea tree oil water before you go to school, and hopefully it'll help repel the lice. If it doesn't, try dropping hints to the girl that you'd like her to leave you alone, and that there are lice going around. If that doesn't work, outright tell her she has lice, give her the tips I just gave you, and ask her to try to get rid of them.

I had lice twice a few years ago. Both times I caught them from the same person. They probably love my hair because of how long it is. I used the tea tree treatments I mentioned above, and both times it got rid of them.

Had them on and off for over two years - the other half works a lot with kids and we both have quite long hair, so the moment she gets it I get it, and then we both have to make sure we're clear at the same time. It's mostly been that one of us becomes clear but the other doesn't, so we both get it again, and then the other is clear but the other isn't, etc.

We have used Headrin and Full Marks, but what I normally do is run a strong nit-comb through my hair every two-three days. There is a really good brand of nit-comb we use as well - Nitty-Gritty, if I remember rightly.

If you really want a good, cheap method, get some conditioner in your hair and use the Nitty-Gritty every other day for a week or so. Clears them wonderfully, and if you combine it with even a cheap head-lice controller it can clear you in a fortnight.

I got it for a short spell when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. My mom got me some shampoo specially for lice and combed my hair with one of those double-sided combs that get them to come off and I was ok after a couple of weeks.

I used to go to school in this private school service van (like a school bus but it's privately owned and you have to pay a monthly fee to travel in it) and there was this younger girl who sat in the seat in front of me who had head lice galore. I mean, while she's sitting there you could see big fat lice scuttling along her hair strands moving from one side to the other. I always wondered why her parents never did anything about it. And I was always scared that I'd get the darned things in my hair again so I used to wash my hair obsessively.

Edited by lanette

The last time I had lice was as recently as 2 years ago (and considering I am 22 now.. yeah).

I first caught them off my brother, then a school friend, then my sister and for the last time off my now boyfriend.

The first few times, they went away with the comb + special shampoo but the last time, it took so long for them to go. We bought a completely different shampoo, conditioner, combs (metal and plastic).. even had vinegar in my hair once.

Not nice.

This year I went to get my hair cut and the hairdressers wouldn't touch it so I asked why, apparently, I still HAD head lice... combed my head that night and guess what? no lice, just dead eggs.

Embarrassing much?

aw, head lice D: had them twice.

once I got them from a kid from the family of alcoholics. we played together in the yard. second time I got them a couple of years ago, from some punk from our company. first time it was easy to get rid of them with the shampoo, but second time it was much harder. surprisingly they went away after I dyed my hair.in fact the dye helped much more than the shampoo xd.png

I dun have ice. :/

whats it like to have some?

whats it like to have some?

lol it's very itchy xd.png

I haven't had lice since I was about 6 years old.

Also, we used to kill them with a mixture of gasoline, I think...

I'm not sure about that one though...

*shudders* Can't even think about bugs living in my hair. xd.png Never had lice, and hopefully, never will~

just the title of the thread got me iching again. it was bad enough being the one that was always teased but to then get the grade school horror of lice. the girls that didn't like me would yell to the teacher that they saw one JUMP at them. i hated school so much during that time. then i got it again in high school man it took forever to get rid of, or at least it felt like it.

I haven't had them. My mom thought I did, but she was just worrying too much and I just had some dry scalp flakes.

Leeches like me more anyways. Anytime I so much as stick my toe in a creek, a leech sticks on, and they're more than happy to come off too- I just gently stroke it and tug lightly on it and it lets go.