wildwindflower

Inbred Dragons

What do you think of inbred dragons?  

1,352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I often didn't really notice when it was inbred.

And if the inbred one was a rare like gold or silver, then I don't care.

But yesterday. for example, I found a Black which was more than 10 times inbred, and I released that one.

I'm definitely not concerned with inbred dragons. I see it too much as a picture that bred with another picture that happens to be related to each other somewhere down the line in fantasy world. xd.png lol

But inbreeding in the real world, that's another story. xd.png haha

When I pick up a common egg/hatchie from the AP I generally return them if they aren't CB or have a lineage I want - nothing to do with inbreeding, I just need certain dragons for personal lineage projects.

Seeing as it's pixels I have to problem with inbreeding - it's not dangerous as no mutations in Dragon DNA can occur (that though made me giggle a while, however) and it's not like they grew up together tongue.gif

If I have space, I generally let them reach adulthood and name them. Got to say, I personally love named frozen hatchies in lineages - the sprites are often cuter/sweeter than the adult ones.

I really don't like inbreds at all. The only inbred dragon I have to date is a old pink. She in inbred by one old water. However I do not breed her. I keep her due to the fact she is the only old pink I have. Had I known the old pinks where going to retrie I would've gottin more. However I didn't know so there for I keep the only one I got.

WB

I don't dislike inbreds, although I use inbred greens and pinks mainly for bite fodder now because I have sooooo many. I showed dogs for years, and linebreeding is not only accepted, its the norm.

However, because I do as much gifting as I can, I also don't intentionally inbreed. If I have an inbred dragon, I try to breed it with another inbred dragon, and if it's clean, breed it with something else clean or a CB.

Seeing as it's pixels I have to problem with inbreeding - it's not dangerous as no mutations in Dragon DNA can occur...

Oh em gee... that's what this game needs. A very, very, very, very tiny chance that super-inbred dragons will produce a mutant offspring. laugh.giflaugh.gif Maybe it's got three big, sad eyes on a really lumpy head, or a tongue that hangs to its knees, or an extra tail where one wing should be. It would have to be ugly-but-cute, and hopefully sterile, heh. Even the egg could look lumpy. laugh.gif

[snip]

All the same, every time someone bases a choice on something like an "ick factor," or because they "find it gross," it drives me into a furious rage. It's an argument I hear all too often in real life. All too often, people say to me that homosexuality is "icky," and I've heard it so many times that it's become automatic for me, to get angry when I hear it.

[snip]

Every once in a while, a new inbreeding prevention suggestion of some sort appears in the Suggestions/Requests board. And each time, more people seem in favor for it. I ask, I beg, that no site mechanism ever treat inbreds differently from other dragons. Because it took a US court case to decide that separate is not equal.

In Dragon Cave, site mechanics are like the government, and I do not want the site mechanics marking my playstyle as deviant. If there is a warning or a flag that appears before inbreeding dragons or on inbred dragons, it is marking them. It is like telling me that I am free to engage in same-sex activity so long as I hear a warning message first, or to be an atheist so long as I wear some kind of atheism patch on my shirt all the time.

I understand your concerns, but would like to try to convince you that they are unfounded. I certainly don't see players who like inbreds as deviant. I don't want to shunt them off to some ghetto. In RL, I fully support nondiscrimination against homosexuals and I'm a secular humanist myself.

If there were a site mechanic to warn about inbred offspring, that would not be like making atheists wear patches. We *already* have a means of checking if offspring is inbred, by looking at the lineages right here on DC, or using an inbred checker tool at Egg Drop Soup or Eggs Around The World. The only way an inbred warning text message is different from this is that it is *faster*. I don't have to manually go through a lineage or go to another site and type in codes. This does not label anyone, or stop anyone from inbreeding. It doesn't put a "nasty icky inbreeding deviant bad person" badge on your scroll. wink.gif

edit for clarity: I'm talking about a breeding warning message, not about putting some kind of visual indicator on the dragons themselves, because the latter would mark players (the dragons don't care).

Edited by CatOfEvilGenius

Reminder:

Rudeness/name calling is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

https://forums.dragcave.net/guidelines/

Respect Others

It isn't possible to get far in the world if you refuse to respect others.

Treat others kindly, don't insult them, and others will do the same in return. If you refuse to treat others well, then you will get not only a warning, but a bad reputation, which opens the door for more negativity.

Edited by purpledragonclaw

I killed inbred dragons just a couple of times. Of course, they are still dragons and have a right to live their own life. So I don't kill them now. What about lineages, if it's red or black I don't care. I have no inbred rares, and if I catch one I think I'll trade it. What about the other dragon types if the lineage is too big I just don't check. (going to freeze and release them, maybe) But if a dragon was born from breeding a parent with a child I'll surely abandon/trade it.

I don't wanna imagine this, you know xd.png

Edited by Neuko

I avoid breeding my inbreds, even though I do it accidentally to avoid it I just add "Plague" to their names. It's a simpler way to keep tabs on them. I used to freeze/abandon/kill/etc. but now a days I just catch them and keep them on my scroll. No big deal, or if I can't keep it, I bite it.

*high fives* Word. I completely agree. Who cares about their lineage? A dragon is a dragon (no matter how small. tongue.gif).

lol, I completely agree. smile.gif

But one thing I don't understand is...why do people get so heated up about it? Just agree to disagree, right? after all, not one person can influence what another does to his/her dragon.

*shrug*

Edited by eaglefeather831

I adore my inbreds as much as my CBs and well-lineaged ones. I've had fun looking back at their lineages. I tend to breed and drop, and knowing that inbreds are more readily killed than others makes me hesitant to be dropping the more uncommon eggs on the AP for others to grab sad.gif

As it's been pointed out, they are pixels after all, so no real harm is done. And in establishing breeds of modern dogs, cats, horses, etc, there's often some degree of inbreeding, especially early in the bloodline.

Ive seen actual lineage projects where inbreeding is done on purpose and it looks cool. I wouldent do it though, because I like all the different names you can create from different lineages being merged together. I think a few of my vamps are inbred, but I dont really keep up with their lineage 'cause they cant reproduce.. and I occacionally freeze long lineaged inbreds, like the ones that have the same great great grandparents 5 or more times, and more than 7 dragon types involved. But thats mainly just cause it really isnt even a pretty lineage anymore, just a jumbled mess of critters.

Seeing as it doesn't have any real effect, I couldn't care less...I appreciate all of the wonderful dragons. smile.gif

I just picked up a black egg that is extremely inbred...

I counted 113

O.o

^ Was my expression when I got this info back.

Now I'm questioning whether to abandon it or to keep it lD

If you don't want it. I'll take it.... biggrin.gif

I really like the intentionally inbred lineages, it's interesting to me. I'm not as fond of the long lined inbreds, but I just re-drop them to the AP or gift them to someone who doesn't care about lineages.

I usually bite them. Sometimes I freeze them.

I like biting inbreds.

Edit: to clarify:

I don't have anything against inbreds. I really enjoy looking at some of the fantastic even gen inbred lineages for example, and may plan on doing a stairstep with a holiday and common. But the problem with inbreds is that they tend to bounce around the AP forever, I once picked up a geode that had been on the AP for over an hour. People pick them up, look at the lineage, and abandon them again. So inbreeding indirectly is one of the factors in creating an AP backlog and cave blocking. By biting I create a dragon that is valued in and of itself, inbred vampires spend far less time bouncing around the AP then even inbred uncommons.

Edited by platedlizard

I really don't like them. If I have an inbred dragon on my scroll, either a) it's one I got when I just started (so it stays for nostalgic reasons), B) it was hard to get, c) it's frozen, or d) I'm not aware it's inbred. Most get booted back to the AP right away.

I never knowingly breed inbred dragons or create new inbreds.

I try to avoid doing it myself (although I have done it on accident, but I kept the offspring when I realized it), but if I pick up a dragon I need that is inbred, I'll let it grow up or freeze it for my collection. If it's a more common dragon I'll sometimes bite it...gotta give my collection of vampires something to do and spread the vamp love to others, too! I figure people are more apt to keep 'em if they're vamps.

If I got an inbred rare (especially silvers as I only successfully bred my female once, right before my last laptop died while I was otherwise incommunicado dry.gif and I've never been able to pick up another one), I'd keep it and let it grow up to the gender I need or freeze it depending on how many I have of the breed.

I try to avoid breeding them, but if I catch a common inbred dragon, I see if any of my growing army of vampires can bite (inbred seem to turn into vampires more often than non for me). When I feel generous, I push them back into the AP so someone that doesn't mind can have a vampire. If not, I keep it.

the only inbred dragons on my scroll are from when i was a noob. i only kill when im trying for zombies, and i never release. now a days, if i get an inbred, i freeze it. im not part of the pruning project, but i still do what they do xd.png