wildwindflower

Inbred Dragons

What do you think of inbred dragons?  

1,348 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I spent a couple of hours hunting the AP for an inbred and all I kept coming up with were common CBs or second and third gen eggs. I finally got lucky and now I'm providing a happy home to an inbred gray. I'm actually trying to make a collection of the most inbred dragons out there.

Edited by Sir Barton

Pff, I don't see why there is the whole inbred-phobia thing. They are beautiful dragon-shaped pixels no matter what.

I have inbreds on my scroll and I don't mind one bit. I don't breed them though because the only breeding I do is for lineages.

And my collection is so near complete that I usually only ever pick up CBs when new ones are released or dragons for lineages, so I never really come in contact with more inbreds, but generally I don't mind them.

My view on inbreds is that the prevailing argument, "They're just pixels," cuts both ways. Okay, yeah, they are just pixels. So in the big picture, it doesn't really matter if they get killed, right?

I have twelve Vampires on my scroll. The majority of them are inbred; I make a habit of cruising the AP and picking up inbred eggs to turn. I also took an inbred adult on my scroll and turned it into a Zombie this past Hallowe'en. I picked up two inbred eggs to hatch and Zombify, but they didn't turn. Every adult Vampire on my scroll has killed at least one egg. When one of my Vampires or a Neglected or Zombification attempt doesn't pan out — oh well, I took an inbred egg out of the gene pool. They're just pixels, right?

I'm also okay with neutering (hatching, freezing and releasing) an inbred dragon.

My view on inbreds is that the prevailing argument, "They're just pixels," cuts both ways. Okay, yeah, they are just pixels. So in the big picture, it doesn't really matter if they get killed, right?

I have twelve Vampires on my scroll. The majority of them are inbred; I make a habit of cruising the AP and picking up inbred eggs to turn. I also took an inbred adult on my scroll and turned it into a Zombie this past Hallowe'en. I picked up two inbred eggs to hatch and Zombify, but they didn't turn. Every adult Vampire on my scroll has killed at least one egg. When one of my Vampires or a Neglected or Zombification attempt doesn't pan out — oh well, I took an inbred egg out of the gene pool. They're just pixels, right?

I'm also okay with neutering (hatching, freezing and releasing) an inbred dragon.

They are just pixels and everyone is free to do whatever they want with what they catch. The only sad thing is when people take those pixels out of the "gene pool" they deny someone else a dragon that they might have been searching for. Of course that goes mostly for rares but you just never know what might appeal to someone else. Luckily for people like me there will always be inbreds out there to rescue. I have always be someone who pulled for the underdog and I just don't understand the hatred that inbred dragons seem to draw. I started playing DC before the fog when pinks were the only females and lineages didn't exist. Most of us inbred our dragons because pinks were hard to come by due to the competition in the cave. We just wanted more pretty pixels and it was much easier to bred for them then to catch them. I guess that's why I see it as "a dragon is a dragon" regardless of lineage.

Edited by Sir Barton

They are just pixels and everyone is free to do whatever they want with what they catch. The only sad thing is when people take those pixels out of the "gene pool" they deny someone else a dragon that they might have been searching for. Of course that goes mostly for rares but you just never know what might appeal to someone else. Luckily for people like me there will always be inbreds out there to rescue. I have always be someone who pulled for the underdog and I just don't understand the hatred that inbred dragons seem to draw.

Not really, at least not if they are bitten (frozen still count from what I heard, although apparently released do not). What happens is the the system creates another dragon to correct the ratios. That might be increasing the likelihood of another breeding of that species, or dropping another one in the cave. The system might even decide to drop a Wilderness egg or hatchling (and yes, this has happened). This happens even with rares.

So killing or biting or releasing inbreds will not affect that specie's overall availability. Only freezing would, and that has the same effect as raising a dragon to adulthood and not breeding it.

That wasn't what I meant. Someone in another thread mentioned that a dragon that due to their slow internet connection their ability to catch, for lack of a better term, prized dragons is almost zero but if there is an inbred bouncing around that no one wants they stand a decent chance of getting it.

And, like me, I'm collecting inbreds so that denies me a dragon even though I have no plans to breed them and increase the numbers of long lined inbreds.

That wasn't what I meant. Someone in another thread mentioned that a dragon that due to their slow internet connection their ability to catch, for lack of a better term, prized dragons is almost zero but if there is an inbred bouncing around that no one wants they stand a decent chance of getting it.

And, like me, I'm collecting inbreds so that denies me a dragon even though I have no plans to breed them and increase the numbers of long lined inbreds.

That might be a problem if there were a shortage of inbred dragons, but there aren't. I caught one today that had over ten repeats on it's lineage, and that was without trying and with a slow connection.

I voted other. It all depends on what the inbreeding is.

For example, messy inbreeding where there are many different dragons that are inbred in the lineage, then I don't like it and will kick it back.

But, if only one specific dragon (and it's lineage) is re-occuring, then it is fine.

The reason is this, in real life, animals are normally inbred somewhere in their lineage to help increase the likelyhood that specific traits of that one animal will re-occure. If done properly, this is called line breeding. And normally line breeding means that only one animal is repeated in the lineage so that totally new blood from the rest is intoduced to keep the genetics healthy.

For example, lets say I have a third gen dragon called "Mr Linebred". I mate "Mr Linebred" to several different mates and keep the resulting offspring, all of which are 1/2 siblings. Then I mate those offspring to other unique mates producing grandchildren of "Mr Linebred". Now I take those grandchildren and breed them together. This in effect isolates "Mr Linebred" in the lineage and becomes linebreeding as one is specifically isolating only one dragon for inbreeding and keeping new blood coming into the gene pool as well.

In the animal world, this is done to make that one animal's traits more likely to occure in offspring. I was also taught that linebreeding should be done so that the offspring would not be more than 50% of the animal being isolated. So father/daughter or mother/son is not linebreeding as the offspring would be 75% of the parent's blood. And full siblings would be a no-no as they have 2 common parents and no new blood added to the gene pool. But, 1/2 siblings would be ok as only one parent is in common and new blood is added by the other unique individuals.

So, for me, I can't say that all inbreeding is bad. Properly thought out inbreeding in the form of true linebreeding should not be frowned upon as that is desireable in most of the animal breeding world, and is one very effective and ok way to set desired traits while minimizing the risks of genetic defects.

So show me a great looking linebred dragon and I would be willing to keep it.

That might be a problem if there were a shortage of inbred dragons, but there aren't. I caught one today that had over ten repeats on it's lineage, and that was without trying and with a slow connection.

You lucked out then because I seriously spent about three hours clicking CB common rejects that people had dumped, a handful of second and third gens, a balloon that was from a very nice stairstep lineage, and a Thuwed. I know that there will always be inbreds but I was starting to wonder for a while there. Please also keep in mind that there is no shortage of CB eggs either it's just that they generally come from the cave instead of the AP. The AP is a dump. For the life of me I can't figure out why people think it should be easy to find something desirable in a dump. In real life you might dig around long enough to turn up a diamond ring but your going to shift through a lot of trash before you do. What makes this cyber dump different?

Edit: And there is a shortage of metals, be they clean or inbred. There seems to be a great number of people who are only too willing to kill, bite or freeze and release metals with the idea that a better lineage or CB will be produced in it's place. It's just as likely that a worse lineage metal will be produced but no thought is given to that.

Edited by Sir Barton

i only have one inbred my split mel and bell if i get more i will keep them but not breed them as i dont whant them to get killed happy.gif

You lucked out then because I seriously spent about three hours clicking CB common rejects that people had dumped, a handful of second and third gens, a balloon that was from a very nice stairstep lineage, and a Thuwed. I know that there will always be inbreds but I was starting to wonder for a while there. Please also keep in mind that there is no shortage of CB eggs either it's just that they generally come from the cave instead of the AP. The AP is a dump. For the life of me I can't figure out why people think it should be easy to find something desirable in a dump. In real life you might dig around long enough to turn up a diamond ring but your going to shift through a lot of trash before you do. What makes this cyber dump different?

Edit: And there is a shortage of metals, be they clean or inbred. There seems to be a great number of people who are only too willing to kill, bite or freeze and release metals with the idea that a better lineage or CB will be produced in it's place. It's just as likely that a worse lineage metal will be produced but no thought is given to that.

Actually there are plenty of nice dragons on the ap, you found some youself from the sound of it. Recently I picked up a third gen black and silver checkerboard even gen black egg that turned out to be an alt. The breeder was clearly trying for a silver and dumped the 'unwanted' black egg. That was just one of my many awesome finds. And if I don't find anything nice I make something nice, since I love vampires.

There is no shortage of metallics by the way. If there was a shortage we would be seeing more of them being produced by the system. There is actually a shortage of whatever is being produced in large numbers in the cave, the system is trying to make up for the shortage by creating more.

As for whether people want inbreds, I think in general the answer is no, although some players such as yourself like them. There's nothing wrong with that. Two months ago I caught a massively inbred geode, which is a reasonably rare enough dragon that I would have thought it would have been valued. I posted its lineage to the official IRC and another person there told me that they had been watching that egg bounce around the ap for an hour. Nobody wanted that geode. They all kept tossing it back because of inbreeding. I did feel bad for it so I hatched it out, as I was saving my bites for Halloween, and froze the hatchling instead.

Bottom line is, there is nothing wrong in doing what you like to your dragons, whether it's inbreeding them or killing inbreds.

I'l tell you what though, if you want I'll pm you the next time I catch an inbred and you can have it smile.gif

I hate messy inbreeding. But, I don't mind inbred dragons so much if the breeder performed in consciously to create a desired look in the lineage.

Somewhere around the breeding subboard is a thread devoted entirely to even gen inbreeding. Many of the inbred lines displayed there are gorgeous. http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=84002

So, I think in certain instances, inbreeding is fine. As many people have voiced, these are only pixels and there's no harm in doing so. I have a couple inbred lines myself that I've developed as projects.

Actually there are plenty of nice dragons on the ap, you found some youself from the sound of it. Recently I picked up a third gen black and silver checkerboard even gen black egg that turned out to be an alt. The breeder was clearly trying for a silver and dumped the 'unwanted' black egg. That was just one of my many awesome finds. And if I don't find anything nice I make something nice, since I love vampires.

There is no shortage of metallics by the way. If there was a shortage we would be seeing more of them being produced by the system. There is actually a shortage of whatever is being produced in large numbers in the cave, the system is trying to make up for the shortage by creating more.

As for whether people want inbreds, I think in general the answer is no, although some players such as yourself like them. There's nothing wrong with that. Two months ago I caught a massively inbred geode, which is a reasonably rare enough dragon that I would have thought it would have been valued. I posted its lineage to the official IRC and another person there told me that they had been watching that egg bounce around the ap for an hour. Nobody wanted that geode. They all kept tossing it back because of inbreeding. I did feel bad for it so I hatched it out, as I was saving my bites for Halloween, and froze the hatchling instead.

Bottom line is, there is nothing wrong in doing what you like to your dragons, whether it's inbreeding them or killing inbreds.

I'l tell you what though, if you want I'll pm you the next time I catch an inbred and you can have it smile.gif

Yes, you can find CBs and short lineage dragons on the AP but I still don't see why that should be a given. Frankly, with so many people opposed to different ideas/improvements to DC due to the fact that they might reduce the "challenge" of the game, I should think the challenge of finding something that you desire on the AP a welcomed activity.

Feel free to pm me or you can post it in the Inbred shelter thread. There are people there that are only too willing to give an inbred a home. However, if vampires are your thing then by all means do that. Everyone really should enjoy the game as they see fit.

From following the various threads related to inbreeding it seems that the general opinion actually leans more to the "I don't care" category. The vocal minority who participate in lineage projects tend to be the ones that are really opposed to inbreeding. Considering that the majority of players aren't on the forum and don't know about lineages, I think it's pretty safe to make leap that the bulk of players don't care. That's why there are inbreds in the first place. In the help section I've seen people new to the forums ask what inbreeding is. They also tend to be puzzled as to why it's wrong. That's another indicator that most people don't think about it and therefore don't care what the lineage of a dragon is.

Shortage of metals isn't meant to be taken as a shortage from the cave's prospective but in terms of the supply will never equal the demand. There are people with a wall of metals from when the glitch produced so many that you couldn't give a silver away but then you also have new people who have never seen a metal in the cave at all and would be happy to have the most inbred one there is just for the sake of scroll completion. I know it's just a matter of prospective, but I feel bad for those folks who have been trying to get a certain breed that for whatever reason eludes them and it seems a waste to think that someone has killed what would have made that other individual's day simply because they didn't find the lineage to be pretty enough to be allowed it's place in the cave.

Edited by Sir Barton

at the moment I actually have 3 inbred adults - a Ridgewing and 2 Splits, 2 inbred hatchies - a Mint and a Fog and a Fog inbred eggie which will also be frozen.

I'm not going to breed the adults (I bred the Ridgewing once, when I didn't knew about this Inbredophobia), but I'm not going to kill them either. and I don't mind more inbreds smile.gif

I do not have a problem with the inbred dragons, it is the people that are the problem. I like gifting eggs, but when you offer someone an egg and the first thing they ask is to see the linage, whats up with that. I was taught never look a gift horse in the mouth. If you want a blue dragon and I offer you one why would you want to hurt my feelings by wanting to know the linage, or by refusing saying I don't do inbreds. Though that is better than taking it to kill. For a long time now I have not even offered to gift eggs cause no one wanted my inbreds. WEll I wanted them and still do. big deal. I will offer to breed what I have and if it is not good enough so be it, I will keep it.

Edited by DeathDymin

Well... Now I've started looking at the lineages of eggs that I pick up. If it happens to be inbred or extremely long lineaged (with no specific breeding pattern) I'd most likely kick it back unless it's a rare. I think I might go through my scroll sometime and pick out all the inbreds and stop breeding them.. or maybe even release them to keep my scroll neat? I'm not quite sure yet. I'm not a fan of inbreeding and I try to avoid it, but I don't have much against it either. It's pixels... pretty pixels dry.gif.....

I have no problem with inbreeding, but since so many people prefer not to have them or flat out won't take them, I try to avoid taking in-bred dragons so I won't accidentally breed more.

When I first was told about inbred dragons, I thought it was really weird. I used to scan the lineage of every egg I caught, but as time worn on, I didn't have the chance to as I was constantly breeding, catching, dropping, etc. I started to assume that most of my dragons just weren't inbred. xd.png Of course, that's an epic fail idea and nowadays, I don't really care. I mean, inbreds are inbreds and dragons are dragons. If you had an inbred gold with a messy lineage but produced a lot of gold eggs, would you stop breeding it? No. [Not that I have one, but... ^^']

I've got several inbreds. tend to freeze them when hatchies, yet some one are adults. and I'm even going to breed this one for myself. I really love it and I wanna have as many as possible Pink dragons, no matter what the lineage is.

I don't care; I'll get an inbred dragon. If it's a gift, then I'll take a CB of it or a shorter lineaged one since quite a bit of people actually do care about lineages.

In all honesty, when I first saw this "no inbreds" thing appearing in trade requests, I thought it was just another passing fad. People used to request "no vines in lineage" in trades. I didn't get it then, and I still don't get it now. And I understand that everyone is free to do what they wish with the dragons they catch.

All the same, every time someone bases a choice on something like an "ick factor," or because they "find it gross," it drives me into a furious rage. It's an argument I hear all too often in real life. All too often, people say to me that homosexuality is "icky," and I've heard it so many times that it's become automatic for me, to get angry when I hear it.

Everyone is free to do what they wish with the dragons they catch. I would be the first person to defend anyone's right to freeze what they wish, release what they wish, kill what they wish. But there is a trend that has been bothering me.

Every once in a while, a new inbreeding prevention suggestion of some sort appears in the Suggestions/Requests board. And each time, more people seem in favor for it. I ask, I beg, that no site mechanism ever treat inbreds differently from other dragons. Because it took a US court case to decide that separate is not equal.

In Dragon Cave, site mechanics are like the government, and I do not want the site mechanics marking my playstyle as deviant. If there is a warning or a flag that appears before inbreeding dragons or on inbred dragons, it is marking them. It is like telling me that I am free to engage in same-sex activity so long as I hear a warning message first, or to be an atheist so long as I wear some kind of atheism patch on my shirt all the time.

I wish that the site treat my playstyle as equally legitimate as any other. That means, no warning that something I am about to do is regarded by the majority as undesirable. That means, no undesirable flag on my scroll or my dragons. That means that the site cannot tell the difference between my playstyle and anyone else's, and that is my request.

It is up to you how you want to play, but I beg of you to keep your preferences out of site mechanics, thank you very much.

Edit: just to make clear, I'm not accusing anyone here of putting their opinions into site mechanics. It's merely a trend that has been happening, that has been receiving more and more favor, that is worrying me a bit.

Edited by wobster109

I get rid of them when I can...

I love them and all but not that much to keep them on my scroll-/-

~Xylr

I usually don't care about lineages very much - at least, except for the dragons I use to breed for lineages - and I don't mind very much if my uncommon & rare dragons are inbred or not. Having them on my scroll is good enough smile.gif

Also, it depends on what you mean by inbred. I may don't like a dragon with a mother that is also its grandmother, but I find ok when two "cousin" dragons mate and have a child, since in the past it was normal for noble families to mate within relatives to preserve pure blood.

People who hate inbred dragons can suck it.

sometimes I inbreed my silvers and such because I get some sick satisfaction knowing that some pretentious dong monger is wondering if it's worth keeping.

And hell, if it keeps more silvers and rare dragons in the hands of the less intense players, then even better.

I'm sick of the snotty attitude.