wildwindflower

Inbred Dragons

What do you think of inbred dragons?  

1,352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I keep inbreds; as far as I'm concerned, a dragon is a dragon is a dragon is a dragon. If I have to choose between two otherwise-identical dragons, I'll usually choose the non-inbred one, but most of the time I don't have a problem taking the inbred one. Usually, the only reason I check my dragons' lineages is if #1 if I'm looking for something special (e.g. a Thuwed or Dorkface ancestor) or #2 I'm seeing if the dragon is CB.

When I'm deciding if I want to have a dragon grow up or if I want to freeze it, I make my decision purely based on whether I need an adult of that breed, whether I have an adult of that breed and gender, whether I'm scroll-locked and need to clear a space immediately, etc. Inbreeding doesn't play into my freeze/mature decision at all (as my frozen non-inbred hatchies and adult inbred Goldfish can tell you).

I won't breed the inbred dragon, though, because I know a lot of people will refuse an inbred dragon even if it's a breed they would normally accept. That's why I sometimes specify "as long as it's not inbred" when I'm requesting something: because I'd like to breed it.

Edited by AGYK

I dislike having dragons with lineages in the first place, so inbred isn't a huge deal for me.

Likewise, I rarely have to worry about inbreeding my dragons since the majority of them are caveborn to begin with.

If it's something rare I can't manage to catch on my own, I could care less. It's not like it effects them in anyway.

I like non-inbred dragons simply because the variety of breeds and users in the lineage gives them flair. Exotic flair. Not that I mind inbreds, I've got a few of my own :P

And because someone mentioned it earlier... dragons with inbred birth defects would be pretty awesome indeed. A Split with ONE head?! That's just crazy talk!

It is whatever to me...If I do it on my own scroll it is just by accident. Either way I don't care. If I pick up an inbreed egg I keep it...I only look at the lineages to make sure it is not a lineage egg so I can get it back to the rightful person.

All the dragons end up looking the same...and they all preform the same actions...so, what do I care.

Heck if anybody has them, I will take them...

a lot of inbreeding must be purposeful

Nope. A lot of times they're just bred by people who, quite frankly, don't give a care if they're inbred or not and don't bother to check if they're breeding with a relative beforehand.

I don't really care. I try to keep some lines clean for trading/gifting purposes, as I know not everybody doesn't mind them. Mostly, though, I don't mind. As long as I get the Dragons I want, I'm happy. If I can get clean versions, too, that's nice, but not needed.

I'm actually trying (slowly) to make an insanely inbred White, though, just for fun. So far, the best one on my scroll is a 7th generation with only 7 different ancestors out of 22, one of which is deceased. xd.png

I have a big number of inbred dragons, I find mates for them, I use them for my own lineage. And I bred them with non-inbred, long lineaged dragons to clean a bit their lineage. For me, if inbreeding is past gen 12 it doesn't matter.

And if a heavily inbred dragon has a holly/zombie/alt ancestor or something else I need for my lineage....screw inbreeding! It's all mine!

Keep on collecting only CBs, even gens and 2nd purebred gens and leave interesting stuff for me, thanks. *hugs Mirage de la Mer Dorkface*

I have quite a few inbreds on my scroll, and will quite happily take them in if others don't want them. I tend to pick up loads of inbred reds purely for the BSA. I just don't breed inbred dragons if I can help it, although I have done in the past. At the minute I'm looking for more breeding dragons, so I tend to re-abandon inbreds in favour of non-inbred or CB dragons. Once I've got enough though, I'll probably start picking them up again.

I wouldn't deliberately kill a dragon just because it's inbred. I've never tried biting one, but maybe I'll give it a go. Seems like a good option.

I really don't have a problem with inbreeding. I have quite a few inbreds on my scroll...a couple of them accidentally inbred by my own hand. I am working on a lineage that is purely inbred however.

I usually only breed my rares, sometimes I may breed some of my commons....but as far as I know, none of my rares are inbred. I won't bother to check either.

If I pick up an inbred, I grew it up. I might freeze it if I'm in love with the hatchling sprite like I am with the white hatchlings. Or I might release them eventually. As far as I'm concerned, they're still dragons even if they were inbred.

I do one of the following depending on my mood or my scroll needs:

1.) freeze them

2.) have one of my vamps bite them

3.) toss it back to the AP.

I actually keep them if there inbred. happy.gif I feel bad for the little darlings. They get no love.

Honestly, I don't care about inbreeding one way or another. I avoid getting inbred dragons though, because I don't want to accidentally breed them then have to dump off an inbred when so many people dislike it. I know many people could care less about lineages, but for the people who do, they're tough to trade with, so an inbred dragon could lose "value" so I just don't so it. I suppose it started with people thinking it "icky".

In general, I like non messy lineages, short and even, or stair step. I have a thing against clutter sometimes and it applies to dragons as well. I just like looking at things that are clean and orderly sometimes. I even like inbreeding if it's orderly.

If it is a rare egg, then i don't care much, but if it is a common egg, i usually abandon it because i can just get another un-inbred one.

I dont like inbreeding, but I always keep an inbred egg if I want it, common or rare. I'll breed my inbreds, too, although I usually only do so when I plan to keep the egg. I dont really treat them any differently than any non-inbred dragon. happy.gif

I understand the various sides to this debate. Whenever I think of inbreeding, the first thing that comes to mind is Marvolo Gaunt...and I most certainly wouldn't want a dragon in that state.

However, the inbred dragons in this game don't turn out cock-eyed or crazy, they're just like any other dragon...except when you click the lineage button, you see a bit of a mess.

While I have nothing against people that choose to have dragons with pretty lineages and whatnot, I personally don't want to have an elitist attitude when playing this game (of course, I'm probably elitist now for making that comment ^^;; )

Anyway, I never look at lineages. All I care about is what's on my main scroll. However, my opinion may change whenever I acquire every dragon I need...but I don't know. For now, I am content with my inbred preciouses ^^

i don't really care, but i'm worried that if i do it, somewhere down the line , that dragon would get smashed because it's inbred

I don't inbreed my dragons, but if other people do, that's fine by me. I don't have anything against inbred dragons at all, just it makes my lineage look better when I don't inbreed my own dragons.

Also, what actually counts as inbreeding? If second cousins in the same gen breed, is that inbreeding? How about actual cousins?

Maybe my reason for hating inbreeding is wishing for a self sustaining population of wonderful dragons. To me it's not my scroll it's the breeding population. Seeing inbred dragons in the hands of others bothers me. I am overcome with an urge to grab the dragon and nueter it or something

I don't inbreed my dragons, but if other people do, that's fine by me. I don't have anything against inbred dragons at all, just it makes my lineage look better when I don't inbreed my own dragons.

Also, what actually counts as inbreeding? If second cousins in the same gen breed, is that inbreeding? How about actual cousins?

On dragcave, inbreeding seems to be any dragon that has any ancestor listed in its lineage more than once, no matter how many generations/how far back it is - even if it was 12 generations ago.

Edited by rubyshoes

Have any one or more ancestor appearing in a lineage more than once.

If you look here at this lineage you'll see that both Tauwarrior and Torqegood appear twice. That makes this dragon inbred.

In this lineage however, each dragon only appears once and so is not considered to be inbred.

Does that help?

An easy way to find out is if you put the dragon's code into an inbred checker like this one: http://greg-kennedy.com/dragcave/tools/

Personally, I prefer non-inbred lineages and I usually freeze inbred hatchies to use as name holders (or because I like the sprite).

The only time I will keep inbred dragons is for freezing, as I will never breed them to continue their lines. I actually prefer intentional inbreeding over careless inbreeding. If I found one that had a lineage that looked like it was inbred intentionally(i.e., I know there are a few pretty intentionally inbred stripe lineages out there), and the lineage looked good, I might let it grow up but just not breed it. Otherwise, I will toss it back.

I keep some of the inbreds I get, but mostly not for breeding purposes. I only breed the inbred ones that other people could want even with inbreeding (such as Pinks or Trios or Metals). When looking for hatchlings for freezing, I actually prefer inbreds because they seem very unlikely to find a new home otherwise.

I try to make my eggs non-inbred to give them better chances for adoption.

I sort of collect inbreds. I don't throw inbred eggs from the AP back, instead I keep them as non-mating dragons on my scroll (inbreeding rendering them infertile). I feel bad for the eggs that just get chucked back in time after time because many people don't want an inbred. I don't care if other people inbreed or not, I like them all the same. I just don't want any offspring from my inbred dragons (including a Silver and a Gold). Actually, I have inbred two dragons on purpose, only once. My Splits, SweetDreamsTwoNight, and BlueMoonTwoKnight for their storyline, with this messy lineage. But just the once. I will breed a non-inbred pair when I want another Two-Headed Dragon.

But I don't think most people inbreed dragons on purpose. I think many people just don't care about breeding a dragon with his granddaughter. They want a mix of those two breeds and don't care about the individuals and their digital "blood line".

Have any one or more ancestor appearing in a lineage more than once.

So I can't see anything wrong with inbred dragons, as according to this specification of inbred, I'm an inbred person, in a way that is completly socially acceptable. (Grandparents are cousins.)

Why should a dragon be condemned and neutered or frozen for that, when it's fine for real people to do that?

I don't really see what the fuss is all about.

Since I have an uboundence of Vamps if I encounter long lineage or inbreds I can easily Vamp them and give them a chance at live