wildwindflower

Inbred Dragons

What do you think of inbred dragons?  

1,318 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

some inbreds come out looking amazing (like the one in my sig) otherwise usually if its an egg ill toss it (cuz i toss eggs anyway unless i need them or they entertain me etc) but i never abandon a hatchie =P

Inbreeding as a concept doesn't trouble me, but I dislike messy lineages, and most accidental inbreedings are messy. Deliberate inbreedings with attractive lineages are fine; if I can find a mate, I'll continue the line, but if not, I'll probably freeze it.

I don't really care unless I'm doing some sort of lineage project.

I have tons of inbreds on my scroll, and without inbreeding I wouldn't have my Alts.

If it's a dragon I collect or need for my scroll, I don't care about the lineage.

If I pick them up to gift them to others however I always try to find ones with clean and short lineages. I don't mind the inbreds being on my scroll, but I try not to breed them with any none inbred dragons.

I will collect any unwanted inbred eggs. When I get one, and I only started this recently, I will add IB to the front of their name (if they already have a name) or name them by their breed (for example: IB Skywing Dragon 1 - or 2, or 3, etc.) so I don't accidentally breed them.

I'm still in the process of (re)naming all my eggs, and have found that I inadvertantly bred many of my inbred dragons in the past, but will now be more careful.

I don't kill, freeze, abandon, or breed them, so if you want to give one away let me know.

Right now I am egg locked but they should be ready to hatch in a day or two.

Dee

I caught this in the AP and just HAD to keep it!!!

This is epic, big thumbs up to the creator of the lineage!

I don't mind inbreeding...some lineages (like the one above) can be really awesome. I usually try to avoid it in my lineage projects simply because it makes finding the right mates more challenging.

In terms of hunting in the AP or trading I often go for nice inbreds, I'd much rather have a beautiful inbred even gen like this or this than a messy lineage. Even just the amount of work people have put in making these is pretty impressive. :3

Edited for link fail.

Edited by MissK.

Those lineages were really nice. They did put a lot of work into those. I have nothing that well thought out. I have one that has 153 dragons that show up more than once - it's a lineage train wreck (poor thing).

Dee

I caught this in the AP and just HAD to keep it!!!

Oh that lineage is awesomesause in a cup! xd.png

Anyway I don't know if I have inbreds or not... probably should check that out.... I collect the lineages that look like a long rollercoaster ride. (or more currectly I grab what I want and then if the lineage is interesting then added bonus)

Inbreedind don't matter to me. I'll probably end up making a pure line of something and then an inbred line of it just to have both xd.png

I'll keep them if I find them--or gift them to someone who's willing to take on inbred.

But I won't breed them myself, and I'll keep looking for a non-inbred of the same breed. Rather, I'll make a note of which ones they were (like the red striped egg I've just acquired from the AP) and, if nobody else wants them, I'll raise them to adulthood, and release them to the wild only after I've found a non-inbred substitute.

On the same note, I won't keep any eggs I've bred myself, to reduce the risk of inbreeding. I'm afraid I don't pay that much attention to what dragons I've used. ^^;

But otherwise, I'm not particularly concerned with lineage.

I did research on my scroll not that long ago (a few months) and found that over 40 of my adult dragons were inbred. I released them all, and now I only keep inbreds of adolescent sprites to freeze (and only ones I don't have). If I catch inbred eggs in the AP I toss them back.

Inbreeding is gross.

Mostly I keep them if I finde them in the AP.

I will not breed them if the lineage is very messy, but will consider it, if it es even gen or another nice lineage.

So I wil leither freez them for sprite completion, or I will mark them via name so I will not breed them.

But I do the same with not inbreed messy lineages. I just like the nice looking ones rolleyes.gif

I'mma have to agree with Ruby on that first page comment. I....really don't care.

They're pixels. Fantasy ones at that. If it's a breed I like, then I'll probably keep it and let it mature. I.E. - My pebble collection. I've got a lot of cbs and a lot of messies alike. Inbreds need some love too, it's not their fault. tongue.gif

It's not hard for me to check my dragons to see if one is cb or not when I go to breed. [When I do, which isn't really that often.] Just as much time and planning goes into intentional Inbred EGs as CB EG lineages. Every once in a while I get blown away by how nice the lineage looks. I don't really see the difference if it had been all cb dragons vs all bred from the same initial parents if the user put -that much time- into it.

Erica's lineage got a chuckle out of me. laugh.gif

Generally I abandon messy inbred eggs when I find them, unless they are rare-ish. Pretty, even-gen or stairstep inbreds I will keep; however, I never breed from them. I was horrified to discover that my Summer was badly inbred, because I'd already bred from him - and the same applies to my poor Night Glory.

EDIT: I think deliberate inbreds are gorgeous, but I probably wouldn't do it myself - I feel mean about making a bunch of pixel dragons breed with their siblings/parents!

Edited by dracopenguin

With me, Inbreeding is kinda avoided. I won't drop eggs that are inbred though if they're rares, I just avoid breeding them. I have an entire trio if rares, that are inbred. I got them through a trade, and they complete my set, so I dont mind. I just wont breed my ice because I know what most people on the trades want. Heck, I even have a Dorkface nebula who is inbred, and I didn't get rid of her.

In short: I don't mind them, I just wont really breed them. Mainly because I use to breed willy nilly when I first started out, which led to major inbreeding with my stripes and it makes me cringe since I find it messy.

I won't actively go out of my way to get rid of them, they just don't get bred unless requested.

My main reason against inbreeding is that I describe all my dragons. Having turned them all into little characters, I don't really want grandpas doing granddaughters or aunts doing nephews. Even if they're fictional, think about all the fictional characters in books, movies, and games that you love. Fictional or not, the idea of, say, Simba making babies with his mom or Ron Weasley with his sister is disgusting.

And then there's the fact that most inbreds just don't trade well on DC, and I can see why. Intentional inbreds can look cool, but they're still a shortcut. If I had a choice between a checker of unrelated dragons versus one where only one CB starting pair was used, then you can bet your biscuits I'd take the unrelated one, because it shows all that much more time and effort put into it.

I'm not really into inbreeding but i had two GWs of different lineages with similar names and accidentally bred brother and sister together... however they pair so nicely...it's a horrible beauty and accidentally got sent to the AP

I would have kept it if i hadn't been egg locked and it auto APd

http://dragcave.net/lineage/1zMsd

If I catch an egg or hatchie from the AP and I don't have one of that breed already frozen, I freeze them. Same goes for those with long, messy lineages.

As for myself, I try not to make inbreds, because if I plan on trading it I won't get many offers, even when it's a low-gen hybrid or rare. I prefer not to accept any inbreds in trades, either, unless I am desperate and it's all I can afford *cough*read sig*coughcough*

I freeze them and keep them. I don't let them grow because I might breed them and not too many people want inbred eggs. I also do this to overly large and/or messy lineages (even if clean). I just prefer compact lineages, that's all.

As a general rule I don't care for them because most inbreds are also messy. Most I'll toss back to the AP, some I'll freeze as hatchies, some I bite. I actually really like the purposely inbred even gens, most of them are really very pretty.

I do have a few messy inbreds from before we could easily see lineages. I also have some rare/uncommons that are inbred.

Intentional inbreds can look cool, but they're still a shortcut. If I had a choice between a checker of unrelated dragons versus one where only one CB starting pair was used, then you can bet your biscuits I'd take the unrelated one, because it shows all that much more time and effort put into it.

That's not necessarily true. There are times when it can be more difficult breeding with an inbred pairing. With dragons purposely inbred, you have no choice but to continue breeding the same set of dragons until you get an offspring of the right breed or that's compatible with the intended mate. Whereas, with non inbreds, if you need a mate or need to replace a refused dragon, you can trade to obtain a new mate (Or ancestors for it). Non inbreds you can generally receive more outside help with than purposely inbreds.

Both inbred checkers and noninbred checkers take time and effort. Although sometimes a breeding project goes faster than expected, from my own experience, I wouldn't call inbreeding a 'shortcut'. If you try to reach a 7th gen goal for an inbred checker yourself, you'd see what I mean.

I love inbred dragons.

I like my inbred stairs, inbred metals, and inbred walkers.

The crazier the lineage, the better.

And yes, I breed them, especially the walkers.

smile.gif