CrypticAsterisk

Portal

I might be getting Portal this year, and I wand opinions if I should get it or not.

I also want to hear about the pure awesomesauce bits of the game besides the end song, "Still Alive."

'Cause that song's just freakishly awesome in its own right.

Heyo, Portal is an awesome game in its own right. Kind of short, but sweet and replayable with the different side challenges. And cake, lots'a cake.

If it's 20$ or so, I'd suggest buying the Orange Box on their Steam site for the extra games. Valve is probably one of the coolest developers in that they practically give away their great games :P

i haven't even played it and GLaDOS has become one of my favorite villans xd.png

my boyfriend has it installed on his computer so i'm probably going to play it one of the times i'm over there

hopefully before the 2nd comes out

user posted image

The Cake Is Not A Lie.

And you get the Companion Cube....

Oooh, Portal. My sister has it. A list of awesome things:

-Weighted Companion Cube (ours is named Cubey)

-Portal gun, of course

-Fighting GLaDOS

-The song, where it says glad it says GLaD

-Turrets, even though they kill you if you aren't fast

-Portals

Here's a flash version. http://portal.wecreatestuff.com/portal.php

It has sooo many levels.

~Cavey

I'm not much of a gamer. About all I can play with some success is Pokemon. I don't do platfoming, and I fail at FPS. I hardly ever do puzzle-oriented games.

...I LOVE Portal. The Turrets are cute, GLaDOS is a surprisingly likeable villain, and the puzzles will warp your sense of gravity. The atmosphere is pleasantly eerie. The music isn't overpowering and only adds to the experience. Gameplay is easy to understand, but the designers still manage to challenge you (even when you've watched someone else solve all the rooms). Its one drawback may be that it's so short, but that's why they're making a second one. :3

And even if you have listened to "Still Alive" by itself (multiple times), it's still very satisfying to hear it at the end of the game. And feel free to look closely at everything (unless it's about to kill you of course); you can find some random tiny little things that hint at what Aperture Labs used to be like. I won't give anything away, but it's nothing you can't find on Youtube anyway.

Wow, I feel like I've written a novel; I hope I didn't bore anyone. But in short, buy it. ^^

Edited by TimeDragon

I've never played this game, but I might start.

It looks great.

My favorite part is the credits song, Still Alive. It's really catchy. I love it so much that I learned to play it on the piano, even though I don't play piano.

Portal...Do want. Portal 2 as well. It comes out 2 days after my birthday.

Must...have...*foams at mouth*

Edited by Icepelt

Ugh. I can't stand Portal's Still Alive. It annoys the heck outta me.

I don't suppose it helps that I love Mirror's Edge and it has a way more awesome credit song also called Still Alive.

Portal is a neat little game. It's very original. I got it when they were giving it for free on Steam, haven't had time to finish it tho.

The cake joke has gotten way too old imo.

The only thing that bothers me about the cake joke is that so many people who don't even UNDERSTAND the cake reference are using it.

Portal is a neat little game. It's very original. I got it when they were giving it for free on Steam, haven't had time to finish it tho.

The cake joke has gotten way too old imo.

The writers agree x3 The cake and cube have been (thank the merciful lord) removed from the sequel.

Oh man, I love it. I don't have it, but I've played it on wonton's computer.

If you don't know who wonton is you'll see her here eventually.

That cake is a spy!

Portal 1: The cake is a lie.

Portal 2: The cake is not a lie.

Portal 3: The cake is a pie.

I just finished the first game tonight and LOVED IT! biggrin.gif

Usually I don't play games outside nintendo, and I'm not even very good at games besides pokemon. But this game was easy enough for me to beat yet challenging enough to be tons of fun (though I must admit I needed YouTube walkthroughs sometimes). I must say the boss battle was my favorite part, but I love all the things in the game. The levels were fun, challenging, and just the right length, and the problem-solving involed really tests your limits, but in a good way. I loved GLaDOS; she is one of the best villains ever. The way she speaks (honest yet discreet, with lots of laughs even when she's completely serious) is one of the most entertaining things to me. The plot was mysterious, yet wonderful. And I loved all the "characters": the Companion Cube, the past test subject, and the turrets.

....Well, that was a long rant, and I could go on longer. But I'll leave it here saying Portal is an amazing game that won't disappoint! biggrin.gif

EDIT: And you gotta love the end credit song. That was what drew me in first. smile.gif

Edited by Hawktalon