tyto_alba

Tyto's Written Works

Untitled

By Tyto_Alba

© Tyto_Alba/ Earthy-Rah (<-- my dA)

I remember a time when I was a teenager, my mother taking me on a nature walk. Being the introverted thing that I was, I protested against it, saying I'd rather stay inside and read my books. My mother wouldn't hear a word of it. That Saturday she bundled me up in my warmest clothes, for it was a very cold day in Colorado, and pulled me away from the comfort of my room.

We drove for hours down the road, through the nothingness that was our world. When we finally reached the mountain trails that we were travel on, she grinned at me. Oh how I hated that grin! It was the grin of a fool, a person who was willing to take too many risks to guarantee an adventure. But I kept all of my ill comments to myself. I didn't want to upset her, as annoying as she was. So, our nature walk began.

She led me on one of the many paths, pointing out tracks and trees, telling me things I could have looked up in an encyclopedia if I had wanted to know them. Still, I said nothing, not wanting to ruin the happiness that was obviously filling my mother to the brim. So, I walked on, nodding my head and making hmming noises every so often to make her think I was still listening, until finally she stopped trying to hold a conversation with me all together.

We had been walking for only a half an hour when I began to notice that I was starting to fall behind. Frowning, I still trailed behind her, trying to keep up as she dodged tree roots and ruts in the earth. My breathing was beginning to come in short, cold puffs. My mother was still walking ahead of me, oblivious as I lagged farther and farther behind. I tried to say her name, but the effort that it took to try to jog and talk at the same time made my voice die in my throat.

Slowly, I came to a stop, glaring in the direction my mother had taken. How dare she leave me! I bristled, clenching up my gloved hand. Then, with a hiss, I plopped down on the ground then and there, looking for all the world like a toddler who had just been denied something she had set her heart on receiving.

I can't tell you how long I sat there, but after a while, I could have sworn I heard rustling footsteps. Anxiety almost immediately flared in my chest. I scrambled to my feet, scanning the forest that surrounded me. "Hello?" I tried to say the word loudly, but it barely escaped my throat as a whisper. Why couldn't she have left me home? I thought, wide eyed with panic.

It was then that I saw him; the most magnificent creature I had ever seen. A large buck trotted into view, dark eyes meeting my frightened gaze. I froze, knowing perfectly well how dangerous deer and bucks could be. I took a step back, but ended up jumping, a surprised squeak escaping my mouth as I snapped a twig. In a fearful rush, I dropped and covered my head, half expecting the buck to charge at me. To my surprise, he didn't.

When I looked up, I saw the he was still there, watching me with the wisdom of a creature who had seen many lifetimes. I blinked slowly, and, for some reason, I could feel my fright draining away. I met his eyes, and he flicked his ears. Calmly, he began walking towards me, hooves gently touching the earth he trod upon.

Nothing could have happened at that moment that would have made me tear my eyes away from the buck as he stepped closer to me. I breathed slowly, never blinking once. When he was barely an arms length away, he paused, giving me a look that told me he understood that I was young, and that I was lost. He stretched his his head down to my level, and snuffed at my forehead, then backed off only one step.

Shakily, I stood, keeping my eyes on his. "I...I'm lost," I heard the words leaving my mouth. To my surprise, he blinked, as if to tell me that he understood. Surprising me further, he turned and started walking slowly. A few feet away, he paused and looked at me. After a second, I finally got it. He meant for me to follow.

And follow him I did. He led me through the forest, waiting patiently if I had to step over a large root, or crawl under a tree trunk. After almost an hour, I heard something that made my heart soar. It was my mother, calling my name. I smiled, a tear forming in my eye. The buck turned and looked at me, flicking an ear.

I was about to thank my saviour with all my heart when my mother called my name again. I answered this time, yelling; "I'm here! Mommy, I'm here!"

The buck snorted softly, turning and walking up to me. I thought he was going to stop before me again, but instead, he trod past. I watched him leave, and just as I lost sight of him, my mother came through the trees, a mask of worry and relief on her face.

"Oh god, baby, where have you been?" She cried, grabbing me and hugging me tight.

In a rush, I told her about how I had lost her and about trying to keep up. When I finished, she apologized over and over again, telling me that all she had wanted was for me to have some time away from the house, to have an adventure of my own, even if it was just a small one.

I hugged my mother back, and let her guide me back to the path, where we walked back to the car. She drove us home, and let me return to my room.

This was nearly sixty years ago, and let me tell you something; I have never forgotten that deer, and how he helped me find my mother after I lost her. I send a thank you to that buck each and every day. It just goes to show the wisdom of the creatures on this earth; the wisdom and kindness people can only hope to achieve.

((The End))

I write this off the top of my head, so that means this is basically a rough draft.

Please, /please/ give me an opinion on it. If I made a mistake, tell me so I can correct it.

Thanks.

By the way, I know this looks really short here. On a word document, it's only 2 and a half to three pages long...So yeah, I know it's really short. Like I said, I wrote this off the top of my head, and while I was writing it, I had no idea where it was going until it ended.

Edit: I'mma start putting my other poems/stories here, seeing as you can only have one art thread. :3

Edited by tyto_alba

Indents I think you'll have to do manually, as in doing five or so spaces for the beginning of each paragraph. :X

Here are a few mistakes I caught; bolding my corrections (broken up so it's easier to read):

I remember a time when I was a teenager, a time when my mother taking took me on a nature walk with her. Being the introverted thing that I was, I protested against it, saying I'd rather stay inside and read my books. My mother wouldn't hear a word of it. So tThat Saturday she bundled me up in my warmest clothes, for it was a very cold day in Colorado, and pulled me away from the comfort of my room.

So, I walked on, nodding my head and making hmming noises every so often to make her think I was still listening, until finally she stopped trying to hold a conversation with me all together.

We had been walking for only a half an hour when I began to take note notice that I was starting to fall behind. Frowning, I still followed trailed behind her, trying to keep up as she dodged tree roots and ruts in the earth. My breathing was beginning to come in short, cold puffs. My mother was still walking ahead of me, oblivious to me as I lagged farther and farther behind. I tried to say her name, but the effort that it took to try to jog and talk at once the same time made my voice die in my throat.

Slowly, I came to a complete stop all together, glaring in the direction my mother had taken. How dare she leave me! I bristled, clenching up my gloved hand. Then, wWith a hiss, I plopped down on the ground then and there, looking for all the world like a toddler who had just been denied something she had set her heart on receiving.

There was also a missing space between "short," and "cold".

It was then that I saw him,; the most magnificent creature I had ever seen. A large buck trotted into my view, dark eyes meeting my own frightened gaze. I froze, knowing perfectly well how dangerous deer and bucks could be. I took a step beck, then but ended up jumpeding back, with a surprised squeak escaping my mouth, when I snapped a twig. In a fearful rush, I dropped and covered my head, half expecting the buck to charge at me. To my surprise, he didn't.

When I looked up, I saw the he was still there, watching me with the wisdom of a creature who had seen many lifetimes. I blinked slowly, and, for some reason, I could feel my fright slowly draining away. I met his eyes, and he flicked his ears. Then, cCalmly, he began walkeding towards me, hooves gently touching the earth he trod upon.

Shakily, I stood, keeping my eyes on his. "I...I'm lost.," I heard the words leaving my mouth. To my surprised, he blinked, as if to tell me that he understood. Then Surprising me further, he turned and started walking slowly. A few feet away, he paused and looked at me. After a second, I understood finally got it. He meant for me to follow.

And So follow him I did. He lead me through the forest, and waiteding patiently if I had to step over a large root, or crawl under a tree trunk. After almost an hour, I heard something that made my heart soar. It was my mother, calling my name. I smiled, a tear forming in my eye. The buck turned and looked at me, flicking an ear.

I was about to thank my saviou (unless perhaps this is the British American spelling and that's what you're trying to use x3)r with all my heart when my mother called my name again. I answered this time, yelling,: "I'm here! Mommy, I'm here!"

In a rush, I told her about how I had lost her, about trying to keep up (it either needs to be "lost her and about trying" or there needs to be one or two more bits to this sequence. As is grammatically, it sounds cut off). When I finished, she apologized over and over again, telling me that all she had wanted was for me to have some time away from the house, to have an adventure of my own, even if it was just a small one.

I hugged my mother back, and let her guide me back to the path, where we walked back to the car. She drove us home, and let me return to my room.

This was nearly sixty years ago, and let me tell you something; I have never forgotten that deer, and how he helped me find my mother after I lost her. I send a thank you to that buck each and every day. It just goes to show the wisdom of the creatures on this earth; the wisdom and kindness people can only hope to achieve.

Remember that all concrit is just my suggestions and you are completely free to ignore every bit of it. :3

Some things I fixed were grammatical or for flow or for preference. You use "then," quite a lot in your story, and it will flow a bit better if you use some different words here and there. ;3

Overall, excellent story. I love your style. It flows very nicely and is a pretty unique voice. I don't have much in the way of concrit other than basic stuff I corrected. :3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

It's really hard to read since there are no spaces between paragraphs. "Text walls" are hard on my eyes. The story itself though was very interesting.

Edited by rubyshoes

Thank you for you opinions on it. (:

Sock, thank you for all the suggestions and corrections.

I really appreciate it. (:

Thanks for separating out the paragraphs - my eyes thank you. smile.gif It's much easier to read now.

Thanks for separating out the paragraphs - my eyes thank you. smile.gif It's much easier to read now.

Heh. xd.png

You're welcome. ^__^

I Will Be There

A poem by Tyto_Alba

© Tyto_Alba

Lean on me when the weight

Of the world becomes to heavy

For you to carry on your own,

When lifes burdens become to

Much for you to bear alone.

Believe in me when I say that we

All fall down, and when you fall,

I will be there to pick you back up again.

When the black clouds clash

And try to drown you in rain,

You can come to me and I will

Protect you from the storm.

When the pace at which this

Green earth spins becomes so great

The ground trembles under your feet,

I will be there to hold you steady.

Believe in me when I say that

We all fall down, and when you fall,

((Authors Note: This poem is heavily inspired by a song called "Believe" by Blood On The dance Floor. :3 ))

Will You Save Me?

A Poem by Tyto_Alba

© Tyto_Alba

I'm standing here

I'm standing here

Watching the clouds go by

I'm standing here

As my life falls to pieces

I'm standing here

As my life falls to pieces,

Wondering where you are

I'm standing here

As my life falls to pieces,

Wondering where you are

And if you're going to save me.

Edited by tyto_alba

Ahh, very nice work. I like your writing style.

Edited by Adoxy

The Urge

A poem by Tyto_Alba

© Tyto_Alba

The urge to write is a killer.

It starts out

As a simple itch in

The tips of your fingers.

But it won't take long for

The urge to turn into a

Loud buzzing in the back of

Your brain, like angry bees.

So will you pick up

The pen next to you?

Will you satisfy the urge

Just like I tried to do

In writing this poem?

Coconut Shampoo

A poem by Tyto_Alba

© Tyto_Alba

I remember a lot of things;

Like the first time I met her.

I remember walking down the

Hallway, my head bent like it

Usually was, and my books

Clasped to my chest.

The noise was intense.

People talking nonstop about

censorkip.gif*y teachers, late homework,

And Algebra tests while I was

Just worried about whether or

Not my shoes were on the right feet.

That's when I saw her.

Or bumped into her, really.

My books flew from my hands,

She fell backwards in a heap,

And I wanted to crawl home and

Die under my bed.

I knelt down hurriedly,

Shaking my head so that

My bangs hid my flushed face.

I picked up my scattered papers

While she, too, gathered her things.

People were sniggering, and

That only made it worse.

I glanced at her through my bangs,

And my heart stopped cold.

She was chuckling, looking at me curiously.

That look only made me blush even more

As I stood up, biting my lip hard enough

To draw a dewdrop of copper.

She was smiling, her eyes

Lit up behind black-framed glasses.

She asked me what class I had next.

I mumbled that I had home ec.

She nodded, then did something strange.

She took my hand and said that she

Was headed that way.

She had Practical Living, which

Was right next to home ec.

She'd be happy to walk me there.

I accepted after a moments hesitation.

She walked me to my class,

Holding my hand the entire time,

Never once seeming to notice

The weird looks and the wolf whistles.

I ignored them, too.

I remember a lot of things.

I remember that she was wearing

A black shirt that fit her figure nicely,

And faded jeans that had ripped hems,

And I remember how warm her fingers

Felt when they were curled around mine.

I remember her smile, her eyes, and

How we fell in time with each other

As we carved a path through the

Staring students in the hallway.

I remember how she grinned when

The boys' jaws would drop.

And most of all, I remember

The subtle scent of her coconut shampoo.

That last one was really pretty. You use metaphor very well. And you catch the beauty of simple things, like coconut shampoo or meeting a stag in the forest. I see that less and less. That is what makes good writing, not that Stephanie Meyer crap people are obsessed with.

Capturing Smoke

A poem by Tyto Alba

© Tyto Alba

When we are young,

We are taught that

Anything is possible,

If we just believe it is.

A prayer can bring peace

To the world, a wish can

Bring happiness to all,

And a nice thought can

Turn around any situation.

But as we get older, wiser,

Longer in the tooth, we

Learn that these things

Are no easier than reaching

Out and capturing smoke.

Not everything can be

Achieved through effort

And wishful thinking,

But being told that it can

Sparks the urge to try,

Which is the only thing

That we, as people, can do.

And when it's over, we can

Smile and say that the smoke

May not have stayed in

The cage we created with

Our fingers, but it did flutter

Over our palms, and, for a moment,

It was held.

I Am Inspired

A poem by Tyto_alba

© Tyto_alba

I am inspired by the tough

Looking girl who goes through

Hell when she gets home from

School, but can still stay strong

When she's way from her personal hell.

I'm inspired by the soft-spoken

Boy that sits alone at the back of

The classroom, who hides himself

Under denim jeans when he'd rather

Be wearing the leggings he stole

From his sisters dresser drawer.

I'm inspired by the woman who

Juggles three jobs, and yet can

Still make time for her daughter,

The apple of her eye, because she

Wants her child to have the future

That slipped through her own fingers.

I'm inspired by the man who can

Still wear his camouflage and bear

Arms for the country who argues

Against him being able to marry his

Lover of ten years, because he still

Has faith in the future of his nation.

I am inspired by the people of this

Country who haven't given up hope,

Who still look to the dawn and see

New beginnings. I am inspired by

The people who see the wrongs in

This world and want to make things

Better for the generations who

Walk this Earth after we have gone.

I am inspired, because I know that

As long as people like this live

Among us, then there truly is a

Reason to have hope in the birth

Of a new day, a new life, a new world.

Mapmaker

A poem by Tyto_Alba

© Tyto_Alba

Those summer winds coursed through

Your hair in a way my fingers never could.

We spent days sitting on the porch swing

Watching life go on around us, and each

Time a breeze blew, I'd turn my eyes to

The halo your hair made around your face.

(you were so beautiful.)

Those nights we lay alone at night,

I'd trace latitude and longitude lines

Along your hips, your thighs, your calves.

I drew wind roses on your ankles, exploring

North, South, East, and West of your body.

I revelled in your uncharted territory.

(i was your mapmaker.)

I etched my signature in your collarbone.

I called you mine, you called me yours.

We two became one under the same sun,

Under the same moon and stars, and yet,

Winter painted you a new face, erased

My script from your skin. I forgot something.

(out there be monsters.)

Close To Holy

A poem by Tyto_Alba

© Tyto_Alba

I found God in the curve of her back.

I saw the words of the gospel printed

On the backs of her knees and heard

The songs and prayers of believers

Rattling in her lungs as she breathed.

The promises of the messiah rested

On the tip of her twisting tongue and

Lines from the psalms were etched

In the stark white of her ribs.

She had the voices of angels echoing

In the labyrinth of her veins.

The oaths of disciples were reflected

In the gray depths of her pupils.

She was the closest thing to holy I've ever seen.

Absolutly LOVE the last one! I love them all, but that one was pure and perfect! I rarely see people that will willingly post something about God and the messiah. Thank you for posting that, and God thanks you, too. smile.gif

Poetry

A poem by Tyto_Alba

She's got ink in her veins.

Poetry hides under her tongue,

Drips onto paper when she parts her lips.

She has nothing to hide.

Every line is a story in itself,

Each stanza is a memoir.

She tattooed her arms with a quill pen,

Etched prose into her bones.

There are novels between her ribs.

Autobiographies stretch down dog-eared vertebrae.

The promises of the past wind along limbs

Smudged by metaphorical love.

Dead But Not Gone

A poem by Tyto_Alba

You tell me that I'm dying,

Your whispered eulogies leaving

Icy trails down the c o l u m n of my spine.

Do you know what you do to me?

How your morticians fingers

Make me shiver in my own skin?

How your tombstone touch lights

The fire in my blood?

The frost on your lips reduces

Me to angel dust and ashes.

[baby, i might be dying, but i

sure as hell won't stay dead.]