Completely Different

Doctor Who

... I've seen it done before. The ideas from this episode look like they were copied straight from the Ancestor Cell (the biodata virus rewriting timelines) and Miles' Alien Bodies (looking at the grave): two books from the Eighth Doctor Adventures series. It's a shame because the actual books themselves are written more elegantly than this crammed episode.

Edited by DarkEternity

It was an OK episode, I suppose.

The end made me wonder why the Doctor is now the dragon from Merlin, though.

Does that mean there will be two Doctors? I know they're planning on doing something a bit like what they did for the 25th Anniversary, but I thought there would only be Doctors we had seen before...

*Staggers off, slightly dazed*

John Hurt turning round in the end was the Icing on the cake for us. Fantastic surprise from an actor who's one of the finest in the world, imho. Matt Smith has said he's not leaving so was that a forced lie to sneak John in or is John just around for a special about the dark side of the Doctor? Hmm...

We can actually look forward to seeing it again without thinking of how they're going to mess it up this time.

Well done Stephen Moffat!

The quality of episode was surprising for sure, after the mess Moffat caused the last time (not only once...), I honestly didn't expect that he could have written this episode. Maybe not the most original idea (as DarkEternity noted, the ideas are not so new), but still a decent resolution to the mystery about Clara.

But while I like the resolution, the ending makes it way to easy to predict the whole next season sad.gif

John Hurt is probably next incarnation (timewise) and will serve as antagonist for the next 1-2 seasons. Final of next or after next season is probably going to be reincarnation of the Doctor into John Hurt (thus resolving the time loop). Maybe we will even see a double regeneration and John Hurt will act as antagonist SOLELY and will never have his own season.

I liked it. It has me looking forward to the anniversary special. And I got some good quotes for my Doctor Who dragons so it's all good. tongue.gif

I read that John Hurt will be a PREVIOUS regeneration of the Doctor... I posted about it on the previous page (spoiler about 50th anniversary episode)

The finale was not bad. I always liked River *ducks to avoid rotten eggs*, and now we have to figure out how is she linked to Clara. "spoilers!" biggrin.gif

That's what I had heard too and from the conversation at the end of the episode, it makes sense. I always liked River too. She's one of my favourite companions but this seems to be a very unpopular opinion xd.png

... I've seen it done before. The ideas from this episode look like they were copied straight from the Ancestor Cell (the biodata virus rewriting timelines) and Miles' Alien Bodies (looking at the grave): two books from the Eighth Doctor Adventures series. It's a shame because the actual books themselves are written more elegantly than this crammed episode.

I've not read the books but I much prefer fast-paced episodes. Really, I think that was the only thing that kept me watching, even when hubs walked away.

When I was a kid they had six-week storylines but that was back when Dr. Who was good enough to have everyone hiding behind the settee so they wouldn't get eaten by giant maggots or seaweedised!

Those were the days, before flying Daleks and Cybermen who thought they were the borg - they don't make them like that anymore!

I watched the season finale and my thoughts went something along the lines of: John Hurt. Matt Smith. John Smith? Gasp!

And if John Hurt will be playing a previous regeneration, I suspect it has something to do with the Time War. Maybe he's the regeneration that killed the Time Lords and the Daleks, especially with the 'in the name of peace and sanity' line. Clara said Eleven was the eleventh Doctor, but Eleven said John Hurt's Doctor is him but not the Doctor. Maybe Matt Smith's Doctor is the eleventh Doctor, but the twelfth regeneration. I hope he isn't the ninth Doctor though. As far as I'm concerned, Eccleston will always be the ninth Doctor. Hurt can be Platform Doctor 9 3/4. Another six month wait to find out what is really going on.

Edited by frostmourne

I don't know how I feel about John Hurt being a previous incarnation of the Doctor if it's indeed true. Moffat would have to play his cards just right to make it work...personally I'd be disappointed if there was a part of the doctor's life we never get to see, a regeneration we barely get to know, because apparently it'll all be crammed into one single episode.

That being said the finale was pretty good, a definite improvement over most others of this season (though I did like Nightmare in Silver too). Of course now I'm stuck with two of Moffats cliffhangers since I've also been waiting for new Sherlock episodes. *shakes fist at him*

Anyway. I'm joining the "I always liked River" club. :3

Anyway. I'm joining the "I always liked River" club. :3

Me too. I'm quite upset we didn't get to see more of her.

SPOILER ALERT! (on the 50th anniversary episode)

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.813&article=103035

John Hurt to play Ninth Doctor

John Hurt will play the Ninth Doctor in the 'Doctor Who' 50th anniversary episode.

The 73-year-old actor's alter-ego will be a regeneration of the Time Lord, which the character has forgotten about, in the special after Christopher Eccleston - who played the ninth incarnation of the Doctor in 2005 - refused to return for the episode after holding talks with showrunner Steven Moffat.

I do hope this is another typical trolling by Moffat. *iz not happy*  dry.gif

I.... do not like that idea at all... >.<

I enjoyed the 9th doctor very much as he was - no need to jinx around with that character... v.v

Also, for the season's final... I liked it quite much. :3 To be honest I was not too sure about that season, it felt really heavy all the time. Greater and greater miseries have to happen - worse and worse the loss. ^^" Clara did a great job to balance that out a bit with her character being as it is. ^.~

What I did not like at all was the new design of the cybermen. I fell from the chair laughing when I saw their round faces. Reminded me of oversized Playmobil figures. *giggles*

But well, the heart of the storyline was/is very interesting. Lots of strings get connected in the end... only to open a new bottle of mystery. ^.~ Really looking forward to the resolution - if there will be any.

Also MissK. I am with you... v.v The wait for the new Sherlock episodes is really.. ughhhh >.<

It's such a shame that Ecclestone was given the part in the first place.

I still haven't watched the last three episodes. I cannot get in the mood, it seems ... xd.png I need to catch up.

I hope that the last three episodes leaves this season on a high note. Guess I need to find out. xd.png

I still haven't watched the last three episodes. I cannot get in the mood, it seems ... xd.png I need to catch up.

I hope that the last three episodes leaves this season on a high note. Guess I need to find out. xd.png

The last two are ones I really liked so I would encourage you to "go for it". smile.gif

The episode is the best this season, but yes I am still disappointed. I give it 10/10 but it could be better. wink.gif

As for the books, you might not consider it canon, but I find it highly ironical that the Gallifrey Chronicles has this lovely line in it:

"As for his future. . . he [The Doctor] has three ninth incarnations. I’ve never seen anything

like it."

As for the books, you might not consider it canon, but I find it highly ironical that the Gallifrey Chronicles has this lovely line in it:

"As for his future. . . he [The Doctor] has three ninth incarnations. I’ve never seen anything

like it."

Woah really? laugh.gif

That is awesome! haha

oh and MissK. YesYes! Go for them! :3 You know you want it! ^.~

like it."

Hmm... very interesting! ohmy.gif

Overall, I suppose I was kind of disappointed with the season. The last 4 or so episodes were my favorites though; they were more enjoyable. But I'm trying not to be a negative nancy about it all- I'm looking forward to the 50th Anniv! I want answers... xd.png

I'm looking forward to the 50th Anniv! I want answers... xd.png

Don't we all - and don't the writers have good ways of getting round telling us?!

So I still haven't watched the last three eps *but* I finally got 'round to watching this year's Christmas Special, "The Snowmen."

I have questions which were not explained ... Who is the Green Lady and the alien the Doctor refers to as a Potato?

Also I found it odd that none of the humans the Doctor encountered seemed to be afraid of The Green Lady or the Potato Man whoever they were, and none seemed surprised by the idea of aliens. There wasn't even a look of shock or surprise on their faces. They did not even seem that terrified by the Snowmen.

As for the ep, it was a great lead-in for "Clara." Too bad this season that most of the eps have not held my interest as much as this premise. I liked the beginning and middle of this episode, but it fell flat toward the end. I can't explain where it went wrong ... something wasn't right, like they were trying too hard. And the humans seemed way too accepting of the alien activity in their Victorian parlor.

I have questions which were not explained ... Who is the Green Lady and the alien the Doctor refers to as a Potato?

The green lizard lady? Her name is Vastra and she's a Silurian(there was an early Tennant Smith ep about them). She's a friend of the Doctor and she helps him out sometimes. As for the potato alien, he's a Sontaran named Strax(he was also in "A Good Man Goes To War").

Edited by Raikielia

The green lizard lady? Her name is Vastra and she's a Silurian(there was a Tennant ep about them). She's a friend of the Doctor and she helps him out sometimes. As for the potato alien, he's a Sontaran named Strax(he was also in "A Good Man Goes To War").

Actually I'm pretty sure they first appeared in The Hungry Earth / Cold Blood as far as new Doctor Who is concerned.

As for this:

Also I found it odd that none of the humans the Doctor encountered seemed to be afraid of The Green Lady or the Potato Man whoever they were, and none seemed surprised by the idea of aliens. There wasn't even a look of shock or surprise on their faces.  They did not even seem that terrified by the Snowmen.

it kind of bothered me as well. Vastra's veil was supposed to be hiding her face completely so personally I assumed it was only see-through for the viewers' benefit, but there's no excuse for Strax.

Actually I'm pretty sure they first appeared in The Hungry Earth / Cold Blood as far as new Doctor Who is concerned.

Yep, you're right. I remember Rory being in that episode now. I may have been thinking of the Sontarans. xd.png /headdesk

Edited by Raikielia

I don't like what Doctor Who is becoming, I loved the old episodes, the only episodes I love are the first three episodes with Clara

The green lizard lady? Her name is Vastra and she's a Silurian(there was an early Tennant Smith ep about them). She's a friend of the Doctor and she helps him out sometimes. As for the potato alien, he's a Sontaran named Strax(he was also in "A Good Man Goes To War").

Ahh, okay. I was not watching Doctor Who back then. I still need to start watching from the beginning.

As for this:

it kind of bothered me as well. Vastra's veil was supposed to be hiding her face completely so personally I assumed it was only see-through for the viewers' benefit, but there's no excuse for Strax.

As for Vastra's veil, my recollection was that she did not wear it through the entire episode. I remember she had it on while they were next to the graveyard, for example.. But I do not believe it was on when they were inside the house, in the living room parlor.

Example:

user posted image

I would have expected a Victorian Clara to flip out over that introduction.

Edited by missy_

Example:

user posted image

I would have expected a Victorian Clara to flip out over that introduction.

But by that point Clara had already seen the Snowmen, met the Doctor(did the whole staircase in the clouds thing) and met Strax(and the memory worm thing). Vastra was hardly the strangest thing she'd seen. She ad already met Vastra before that, when she was looking for the Doctor.

Edited by Raikielia