Completely Different

Doctor Who

Matt Smith really isn't a favorite Doctor of mine. But he's growing on me and this season has seen some good episodes. Though last week at the end of what I thought was a wonderful bit of acting was the most cringe worthy line. I mean really Neil Cross? Really?

Spoilers:

The good bit:

I walked away from the last Great Time War. I marked the passing of the Time Lords. I saw the birth of the universe and I watched as time ran out, moment by moment, until nothing remained. No time. No space. Just me. I walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a mad man. I've watched universes freeze and creations burn. I've seen things you wouldn't believe. I have lost things you will never understand. And I know things. Secrets that must never be told. Knowledge that must never be spoken. Knowledge that will make parasite gods blaze. So come on, then.

And then we have the bit that spoilt it for me:

Take it all, baby!

I cringed I really did. Still ...

user posted image

Edited by Wiz

Spoilers:

The good bit:

I walked away from the last Great Time War. I marked the passing of the Time Lords. I saw the birth of the universe and I watched as time ran out, moment by moment, until nothing remained. No time. No space. Just me. I walked in universes where the laws of physics were devised by the mind of a mad man. I've watched universes freeze and creations burn. I've seen things you wouldn't believe. I have lost things you will never understand. And I know things. Secrets that must never be told. Knowledge that must never be spoken. Knowledge that will make parasite gods blaze. So come on, then.

And then we have the bit that spoilt it for me:

Take it all, baby!

I cringed I really did.

The "bad bit" for you I found more confusing than bad (though I see what you mean).

At first, I thought that when he said "Take it all!" that he meant all of his memories were going to be removed permanently, and that scared me. But as it progressed, I saw that was not going to be the case. c:

The "bad bit" for you I found more confusing than bad (though I see what you mean).

At first, I thought that when he said "Take it all!" that he meant all of his memories were going to be removed permanently, and that scared me. But as it progressed, I saw that was not going to be the case.  c:

I thought so too for a moment, but then again it wouldn't make a great base for the rest of the episodes. ^^;

As Wiz said the way the line was written was pretty cringe-worthy though...it kind of cheapened the moment in my opinion.

Any comments on the new episode? I wasn't hugely impressed, it was well-made but the conclusion seemed a little flat after all the tension.

I thought so too for a moment, but then again it wouldn't make a great base for the rest of the episodes. ^^;

Any comments on the new episode? I wasn't hugely impressed, it was well-made but the conclusion seemed a little flat after all the tension.

That's true; it wouldn't make a great base for the rest of the episodes. wink.gif

So far, I liked the first episode with Clara the best, "The Bells of St. John."

I started off not understanding why Russians were speaking with a British accent. laugh.gif This is because I am new to Doctor Who. At some point in the show, someone made a explanatory reference of which I did not understand all the details, but I sort of got the basic concept. (I still need a Doctor Who fan to explain it to me or I need to look it up.)

Overall I thought it was an okay episode, though it doesn't seem quite as good as the ones in the first half of Series 7.

The episode did lead me to learn about something in history which I had not previously known about: a military exercise called Able Archer 83. It was apparently in some opinions the closest the world has come to nuclear war since the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. The only thing that stopped the Soviets from launching their nukes is that they entered their launch codes incorrectly ... ! ohmy.gif

And that is the biggest thing I learned from the latest Doctor Who episode. velociraptor.png

Edited by missy_

Doctor Who teaches me a lot of history things, really. It's one of the reasons why I love it.

I started off not understanding why Russians were speaking with a British accent.  laugh.gif This is because I am new to Doctor Who. At some point in the show, someone made a explanatory reference of which I did not understand all the details, but I sort of got the basic concept. (I still need a Doctor Who fan to explain it to me or I need to look it up.)

It's the TARDIS translation circuit. The TARDIS has a telepathic field that translates almost every language in the universe (spoken and written) so that the Doctor and the companions can communicate with everyone they meet. So for example in this episode the Doctor and Clara were speaking in english and the crew heard them in russian, and vice versa.

It's explained multiple times in the show so I doubt it would be considered a spoiler that I said it here. :3

I liked the Rings episode mostly due to the little girl and the fact there were so many references to old Who.

The new episode was amusing to say the least. It was interesting to see Clara realize the danger of hanging out with the Doctor. And the old Russian man with his Duran Duran obsession was amusing to say the least. I've got that song (Hungry like the Wolf) on my Ipod.

It was better then last week's episode. More action. I remember the Ice Warriors from the first time round and always wanted to see them again. Having said that, I can't remember their bodies being armour. Methinks it's something else that got modernised. Humph.

It's the TARDIS translation circuit. The TARDIS has a telepathic field that translates almost every language in the universe (spoken and written) so that the Doctor and the companions can communicate with everyone they meet. So for example in this episode the Doctor and Clara were speaking in english and the crew heard them in russian, and vice versa.

It's explained multiple times in the show so I doubt it would be considered a spoiler that I said it here. :3

Thank you, MissK, for explaining that! happy.gif

I started out watching the episode thinking, they have it all wrong! They are supposed to be speaking Russian or at least with an accent! laugh.gif They seemed so very British: I thought that was an amusing juxtaposition with the British actors in the Soviet uniforms. (They threw in a brief explanation but I had forgotten it.) But now it all makes sense!

I liked the Rings episode mostly due to the little girl and the fact there were so many references to old Who.

I remember the Ice Warriors from the first time round and always wanted to see them again.  Having said that, I can't remember their bodies being armour.  Methinks it's something else that got modernised.  Humph.

I am going to have to start at the beginning at some point and watch Doctor Who starting from Season One so that I fully appreciate all of the references.

l want to see "the old Who."

Thank you, MissK, for explaining that! happy.gif

I started out watching the episode thinking, they have it all wrong! They are supposed to be speaking Russian or at least with an accent!  laugh.gif  They seemed so very British: I thought that was an amusing juxtaposition with the British actors in the Soviet uniforms. (They threw in a brief explanation but I had forgotten it.) But now it all makes sense!

No problem. ^^ It was a bit odd, I was expecting the Doctor to explain the whole translation thing to Clara much sooner and when he did it kind of got lost in the fast pace of the episode.

I am going to have to start at the beginning at some point and watch Doctor Who starting from Season One so that I fully appreciate all of the references.

l want to see "the old Who."

I did that too recently, started with some William Hartnell episodes (the first Doctor). It's really fascinating to see how it all started and evolved and there are many brilliant stories, but be prepared for different pacing. The "old Who" didn't have lots of special effects to utilize of course so it's pretty different visually too.

Ah, old Who. Back when Cybermen and Daleks were basically just trashcans on wheels. Good times, good times.

Ah, old Who. Back when Cybermen and Daleks were basically just trashcans on wheels. Good times, good times.

And all you needed to do to defeat the Daleks was climb some stairs. And they still managed to be scary.

Talking about the TARDIS translating, did anyone else notice that in The Rings of Akhaten Clara could understand all the aliens except the one that barked like a dog? The Doctor had to translate for her.

And all you needed to do to defeat the Daleks was climb some stairs. And they still managed to be scary.

Talking about the TARDIS translating, did anyone else notice that in The Rings of Akhaten Clara could understand all the aliens except the one that barked like a dog? The Doctor had to translate for her.

Yes. smile.gif I thought that that was strange as the TARDIS should have been able to translate that as well.

I think it has to do with the fact the alien sounded like a dog and Clara referred to her as an "it". I recall that the TARDIS only translates what the person thinks of as sentient creatures, which is why it does not translate chicken or baby (despite the fact the Doctor can speak both).

It was also mentioned that not all languages are stored within the TARDIS and many times it failed to translate languages from Earth so... yeah.

Lol, you sound like my husband!

I gotta say hovering daleks are...kind of cheating?

Lol, you sound like my husband!

I am your husband.

Naw, just kidding. But I do think hovering Daleks is a little cheaty. Although, it brings up a good point of how they conquer planets if they couldn't get up stairs. All it would take is everyone to go to the second floor and the Dalek's can't do anything about it.

Also any sort of terrain that isn't smooth. We have the Roombas at home. They're terrible at making it anywhere that isn't perfectly smooth.

Now this is sounding interesting! I am a former (no time lately) MST3K nut and SciFi B-movie nut and somehow I think these old Who episodes could be right up my alley.

I saw all the MST3K eps. And those cheesy effects can be great! laugh.gif

I am your husband.

Naw, just kidding. But I do think hovering Daleks is a little cheaty. Although, it brings up a good point of how they conquer planets if they couldn't get up stairs. All it would take is everyone to go to the second floor and the Dalek's can't do anything about it.

Yes, it was a right con when they made them able to fly.

And as for cheesy, don't forget the kitchen plunger for a weapon on the trashcan!

I would have to say that my overall favorite Doctor would definitely have been David Tennant and my favorite companions would be Amy and Rory. I was so sad when they got taken by the angels. sad.gif Also, I heard a rumor that the new 50th year anniversary episode is going to have Matt Smith AND David Tennant in it! I can't wait for that episode!

oh god

I'm imagining the Doctor just running up the stairs as the Daleks are cursing him.

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD GUUYS! OH GOD THEY JUST ANNOUNCED THE NAME OF THE SEASON FINALE: The Name of the Doctor (for those who don't want to find out) OH MY GOD JUST I'm hyperventilating. I want to know but yet I don't? I just hope they don't let the audience know.