Completely Different

Doctor Who

I have to watch a reun for Saurday's episode, I have to work until 8 that day and I am very unhappy about it mad.gif

We'll give it a try but the last couple of series haven't been our cup of tea. Tragic.

And I've still not forgiven them for 'modernising' the theme tune.

I have my fingers crossed...

No comments about Saturday's new Doctor Who episode? You all surprise me!

I thought it was okay. To the point and kept going, obviously because it was a one-off. I must admit I did giggle at him going to the garage in the Tardis (what next, a swimming pool and tennis courts?) and I was impressed when he rode out on the motorbike! I wonder what old classic William Hartnell would have kept in there?!

Yes, all in all, I enjoyed it.

It was ok but I enjoyed the Doctor Who Revisited - the Third Doctor special and the episode that was shown with the 3rd better.

No comments about Saturday's new Doctor Who episode? You all surprise me!

I thought it was okay. To the point and kept going, obviously because it was a one-off. I must admit I did giggle at him going to the garage in the Tardis (what next, a swimming pool and tennis courts?) and I was impressed when he rode out on the motorbike! I wonder what old classic William Hartnell would have kept in there?!

Yes, all in all, I enjoyed it.

user posted image

Sorry I couldn't resist.

But oh my god did anyone notice how instead of falling down a building someone went up a building? On a motorcycle no less.

I don't think I've ever posted here or set foot in general discussion in a few years...shame on me.

*waves* Dedicated Whovian over here, though like some others I wasn't thrilled with some of the most recent episodes. No favourite Doctor for me...I think they've all been brilliant in their own unique way.

The Bells of Saint John was a decent episode in my opinion. Might have had a few weak points but it was fun and quite well made. I especially liked the lighting, some simple scenes were lovely because of the good cinematography. Hopefully the rest of the series will be more along these lines and less like, oh I don't know, the Power of Three?

Also, this

And I've still not forgiven them for 'modernising' the theme tune.

That doesn't mean I don't still sing along of course. x3

Bells of Saint John was alright. Honestly, I view Doctor Who as something similar to Scooby Doo. A large portion of the episodes are very similar to each other with the same general guidelines. Usually, it goes something like this:

Problem introduced

Doctor shows up somewhere new/unexpected

Doctor meets up with a companion/talks to random people while problem evolves

Problem becomes realized by the Doctor and companion struggles to keep up

Unexpected idea/thing introduced!

Doctor is BAMF

Doctor solves problem/more companion interaction

End problem

Obvious differences are when there are plot arcs in which there are usually more BAMF Doctor moments and this idea is drawn out over two or three episodes. But generally, most episodes follow the idea mentioned above.

The thing I liked about Bells of Saint John was that it did follow this guideline. However, I was a bit disappointed that the big boss wasn't revealed in the episode and the bad guys were mostly humans instead of aliens. We need aliens in Doctor Who! Its like an episode of Supernatural without any supernatural things.

It was ok but I enjoyed the Doctor Who Revisited - the Third Doctor special and the episode that was shown with the 3rd better.

I can't remember seeing that - must have been in the days when we thought it had got too silly and stopped watching for a time.

user posted image

Sorry I couldn't resist.

But oh my god did anyone notice how instead of falling down a building someone went up a building? On a motorcycle no less.

Hmm, he must have given it some 'Tardis juice'! (I've got to think that way, or that bit would have got me annoyed...)

Problem introduced

Doctor shows up somewhere new/unexpected

Doctor meets up with a companion/talks to random people while problem evolves

Problem becomes realized by the Doctor and companion struggles to keep up

Unexpected idea/thing introduced!

Doctor is BAMF

Doctor solves problem/more companion interaction

End problem

Thank you for that. So now none of us need watch any more episodes! laugh.gif

However, I was a bit disappointed that the big boss wasn't revealed in the episode and the bad guys were mostly humans instead of aliens. We need aliens in Doctor Who! Its like an episode of Supernatural without any supernatural things.

I too prefer a bit more alien interference, but the "client" was revealed in the end, wasn't it? (Trying to avoid spoilers, I'm not sure how much is usually said in this thread regarding new episodes.)

Hmm, he must have given it some 'Tardis juice'!  (I've got to think that way, or that bit would have got me annoyed...)

Oh he mentioned that he participated in the 2073 (or some such year) anti-grav Olympics or something similar with that bike and came in last. He probably stole it or "stole" money from somewhere to get it. That idiot. Haha.

EDIT: The alien was called "The Great Intelligence" if I remember right. That name appeared in the Christmas episode too. smile.gif potential spoiler(?): if I heard correctly the Great Intelligence appeared in old who as well, around the 5th Doctor's time?

Edited by Rosella Surmane

Oh he mentioned that he participated in the 2073 (or some such year) anti-grav Olympics or something similar with that bike and came in last. [/size]

You've jogged my memory with that - he's forgiven then!

I am a relatively new Doctor Who fan. I got started with this Doctor in the 7th Series, so I have a lot of catching up to do! I still want to go back at some point and watch the older Doctor Who episodes, in order if possible. smile.gif

As for Clara Oswin, I like her so far. I saw her as ... erm, how much are we allowed to post ... ?

I saw her as Oswin Oswald in "Asylum of the Daleks" but did not see her as Clara Oswin Oswald in "The Snowmen" ... At least, I am pretty sure I missed this episode ...

Hubby and I are divided on Dr.Who for once. He still thinks it's got a bit silly but I don't know. Short, fast stories, time travel, goodies and baddies - perhaps not the best storyline but seems ok.

I only noticed this weekend that Dr.Who started by us again... I missed the first 5 episodes T.T

quinney, it will be interesting once I start seeing the older ones, to compare them to "the new Doctor." I read on wiki so I know there have been a bunch of people in the role over the years ... lots of episodes! blink.gif I do not have time right now to watch them. xd.png

DragonSpirit009, I missed the first episode as well, and had to go back and play catch-up. Saw it this week on a rerun. rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

It was kinda nice though, as I saw two episodes back to back! xd.png

quinney, it will be interesting once I start seeing the older ones, to compare them to "the new Doctor." I read on wiki so I know there have been a bunch of people in the role over the years ... lots of episodes!

Hahaha, you've only got from 1963 to catch up on! laugh.gif (Hubs and I were both six then!)

William Hartnell was the very first Doctor, and according to hubby, the best.

I too prefer a bit more alien interference, but the "client" was revealed in the end, wasn't it? (Trying to avoid spoilers, I'm not sure how much is usually said in this thread regarding new episodes.)

Yes, it was the Great Intelligence. But it wasn't introduced very well since I had to explain to the rest of my family who it was. It's fine if you saw it from Old Who but to the new guys, it's hard to get. Usually, aliens identify themselves in such a way where it is obvious what they are.

As for Clara, I like her. I only really had a problem with Donna and River so I openly welcomed a change in companion.

Hahaha, you've only got from 1963 to catch up on!  laugh.gif (Hubs and I were both six then!)

William Hartnell was the very first Doctor, and according to hubby, the best.

Right! xd.png I knew they dated from the sixties ...

Yes, it was the Great Intelligence. But it wasn't introduced very well since I had to explain to the rest of my family who it was. It's fine if you saw it from Old Who but to the new guys, it's hard to get. Usually, aliens identify themselves in such a way where it is obvious what they are.

As for Clara, I like her. I only really had a problem with Donna and River so I openly welcomed a change in companion.

Ahh okay, I do not know anything about the Great Intelligence. Having just started with Series 7, there must be a lot I am missing. Will have to research, then.

That's a good point now that I think about it...I also had to explain it to a friend who was watching the episode with me.

Apparently River can be controversial but Donna is usually a fan favourite. What didn't you like about her?

Donna annoyed me because she came across as very unintelligent. The Christmas Episode with her really set me off because in comparison to Rose and Martha, she seemed a lot more whiney and annoying.

What about you? Do you have a least favorite companion?

I see what you mean. Personally I quite liked her because she was a bit more feisty and not fawning over the Doctor as much as Rose and Martha, but I can see how she might have come across as annoying sometimes.

Hum...least favourite...I thought all of them had positive aspects and something to offer to the Doctor. To put it this way, the one that I disliked in more episodes was probably Rose. She seemed a bit too jealous and I never liked the way she treated Mickey. But some immaturity is to be expected since she was supposed to be pretty young, and she did have many great moments too.

I'm mostly refering to the "new" DW because I've only watched some short clips of the classic show, definitely not enough to form an opinion about the characters. I'll start watching full episodes in the summer. :3

I'm a newbie to Doctor Who. I am already in love with it. There is no Doctor I hate. Though I really like Tennant and Matt.

user posted imageuser posted image

I had to add these pictures.. they tickled me. :>