Completely Different

Doctor Who

Consider what he's saying in that video...I wonder if it's a recording that the companions in his current time frame get to see. After all, there's still the question of where his TARDIS is when he dies - he surely wouldn't leave it lying around after all.

So it could well be that the Doctor is in the Tesselecta whilst it's burning, and it's up to River to jump into the Tesselecta with the Ponds and save him.

Chances are he's probably doing it to distract the Silence as well - after all, there is a Silent watching them at the edge of the lake, and as per 'The Big Bang' when he has to fake his death to distract the Dalek, faking his death using the Tesselecta could be a big distraction to get the Silence to look in the wrong place at the wrong time - while they're all at the edge of Lake Silenco watching the Doctor burn, the Ponds and River are off fighting the Big Bad of episodes 12/13 and saving the Doctor en route.

I told you so.

I worked out pretty much element of the finale far in advance. And I still loved it!

SDFGHJK THAT EPISODE.

I'm going to go find reactions/theories on tumblr while an older episode loads.

Need to watch Pandorica Opens and Rory episodes because he just grabs all my sympathy and runs with it.

(Also Stormageddon. WHY SO ADORABLE. Need future!Alfie.)

Well, I think it's all gone mad and I'm not happy. Dr.Who used to be an easy-to-follow children's programme, but not anymore.

Myself and hubs are both 54 and have watched it from the very beginning. William Hartnell is a hero of hubs'.

We've been on holiday and just caught up with the episodes and we haven't a clue what's happening.

Our dilemma now is that we really don't want to watch it but feel guilty because we're such die-hard fans.

This isn't Dr.Who as it should be. I'm in mourning.

As far as I can see, this is a bit more of what Dr Who used to be like - for example, the 'Trial of a Timelord' series was a full 14-episode story arc. And I personally feel it's relatively easy to follow, especially if you watch them all in rapid succession. However, if you are only watching a select few, or come in only half-way through a series, then it would be very off-putting, daunting and confusing otherwise.

To be honest, I'm sad that this wasn't part of my childhood, as I would have loved to have grown up with the adventures of the Doctor, Amy and Rory as my Saturday treat. But it, like everything, is a case of Your Mileage May Vary. I think these last two seasons far outstrip any other Dr Who, and even (Kirk forgive me for this) better than 'Star Trek' in some respects.

What I do like, though, is how Moffatt has opened the door for Doctor Who to in fact go back to it's roots a bit more. The Doctor was becoming too much of a superhero, having to save the world, the galaxy, the universe, again and again and again...what Moffatt has done with this Series is given us an iron-clad excuse for Dr Who to return to smaller adventures, to saving the day for one person, not a whole planet. To have little stories, not sweeping galaxy-saving epics. But there is still the backdrop of the Silence to keep everything tied together.

I can't wait.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, Kestra15. smile.gif

Yes, there have been in-depth full series, all of which we've followed, but neither myself or my husband have ever seen anything we didn't understand. Until now.

Perhaps the younger generation think differently to us now and it's aimed at those, but I just feel it's a shame. I agree with hubs when he says that children as young as we were when it very first started will wonder what the heck it's all about and give it a miss.

I know if this series had been one of the first, we wouldn't have had a lifetime of being Dr.Who fans.

Keep enjoying - it's good some are!

Agree to disagree is fine :~) As with 'Star Trek' and other long-lived series, everyone has 'their' era, 'their' Doctor. For me, Matt Smith is 'my' Doctor, and I'll gladly respect that he's not to your taste :~) It would be impossible for something nearly fifty years old to please everyone all the time.

I was right! Ha! Kestra can say so. xd.png I was right about the question!

And I was right about his death! I had two theories, that was indeed on of them.

I LOVED IT!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Found this today.

Edited by evangeline5432

So, I've decided to challenge myself with (slowly) watching through all 6 seasons of the new series. Yes, it's one of those things I sometimes I do out of spite, when a franchise is hugely popular but I'm doubtful about its value/think it's overrated. Now, see here, this year alone I could name at least three series I've watched for the same reason and have found myself liking to varying degree.

What kinda disturbs me about Doctor Who in particular is probably that it's one of those series that is EVERYWHERE, but I haven't really read any positive reviews that are also critical. Like, why is this show awesome? Why do you like the characters? What values can you derive from this show? And, importantly, what could be done better in terms of storytelling, acting, technical aspects? Do you agree with what the characters you like do and, if not, why?

I'd be curious to see some opinions, since I see if as a positive thing, if you can be critical about shows that you like, and I'm generally careful with franchises that seem to have mostly fervent positive reviews about how everything is awesome and how this is the best sci-fi show EVAR. /shrugs

Edited by lightbird

You should kill us all on sight.

I'll be honest, I simply like Doctor Who. Yes, I have criticisms from time to time - sometimes I think there's a weak story, or an inconsistency. I don't always like how a writer has portrayed a character. Some stories just don't work for me and don't fit the overall arc. My biggest praise of Series 5 & 6 is that there actually is a story arc; there is a reason for what the Doctor is doing and why, not just bumbling through Time and Space for no reason.

I think part of it is how British it is - there is some cheesy humour, there is some ham acting and sometimes there are teeth-marks all over the scenery (the Master, anyone?). But that's part of the fun, what makes it a bit quirky.

The other part is that, while it is action-packed, it's not the traditional shoot-the-aliens-and-blow-them-up (despite the link at the beginning of this post - it's simply one of my favourite ever scenes and I found it on youtube!). The Doctor tries more often than not to talk, puzzle and think his way out of a crisis - if you're a fan of Gambits/Chessmasters, the Doctor took a PhD in that amongst other things (it's probably why he's got the title to begin with). Certainly most of Series Six - especially the first two-parter and the final episode - is one heck of a chess game by the Doctor

Can I suggest that if you do get fed up half-way through trying to watch them, you do at least watch 'Blink' if nothing else. There is a reason why it's so well-received. And I personally think that Matt Smith's Doctor is a good one to watch - while you may not get some of the references now and again, they are sparse enough that missing them doesn't detract from the story. (Normally).

I personally think the music is epic for the Eleventh Doctor, I personally find his action theme excellent, and Amy's theme is very beautiful if a bit haunting sometimes.

Edited by Kestra15

Speaking of the Master, what are episodes he's in, I haven't seen any of him and I hear nothing but good things about those episodes.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff TEN. SO MANY TEARS. CRAP. AND SO SAD/SRS/MAKES IT EVEN SADDER.

I'm going to have to watch Nine's death sometime, just to get it out of the way. ;.; Poor Rose.

birdy also might want to skim the cracked article about "why DW is my religion", interesting if I don't entirely agree with it.

Nix knows how to fetch links yes she does derp.

Edited by NixAyum

Yeah, I just like it because.... its amazing! I'm not one of those sci-fy people either, my sister got me hooked. I like the Doctor's quirkyness, and his relationships with his companions, and I like how it is clean. Its relaxing to watch, at the same time incredibly heart breaking and suspenseful, especially the season finales. I pretty much have a countdown for the next episode

I don't understand all of the crazy time travel and alternate universe stuff, but I just smile and nod and pretend it makes sense, and make up my own reasons for why its happened. My favorite episodes are Steven Moffets ones. He writes the most suspenseful, scary, edge of your seats ones, and he manages to not kill off everyone in his path. I like that, happy endings.

Speaking of the Master, what are episodes he's in, I haven't seen any of him and I hear nothing but good things about those episodes.

It would spoil it if I told you :~P

So, I've decided to challenge myself with (slowly) watching through all 6 seasons of the new series. Yes, it's one of those things I sometimes I do out of spite, when a franchise is hugely popular but I'm doubtful about its value/think it's overrated. Now, see here, this year alone I could name at least three series I've watched for the same reason and have found myself liking to varying degree.

What kinda disturbs me about Doctor Who in particular is probably that it's one of those series that is EVERYWHERE, but I haven't really read any positive reviews that are also critical. Like, why is this show awesome? Why do you like the characters? What values can you derive from this show? And, importantly, what could be done better in terms of storytelling, acting, technical aspects? Do you agree with what the characters you like do and, if not, why?

I'd be curious to see some opinions, since I see if as a positive thing, if you can be critical about shows that you like, and I'm generally careful with franchises that seem to have mostly fervent positive reviews about how everything is awesome and how this is the best sci-fi show EVAR. /shrugs

You're lucky if you find Doctor Who everywhere. Sadly where I live I can't find Doctor Who things anywhere.

I've only seen the new series and very few of the old stories, so I can't talk about the older series.

What I like about Doctor Who is that the Doctor is not perfect and, even though he tries, he can't save everyone. And his actions have consequences, not only in the same or next episode, but, as we see in season 6, in general.

We also see that the good people are not always 100 % good and the antagonists are not always all evil.

The companions are nomal people with different backgrounds. The have fears like everybody else and also make mistakes.

I never really thought about what values I can derive from this show, but without watching every season again I can think of two: that violence is not the best solution for everything and that everybody has the potential to do good (like the Doctor encourages people to do) and bad ("Midnight").

What I don't like is that I think sometimes 45 minutes are not enough and the plot could be better developed if the episodes were 60 minutes long or if it were two episode stories.

I don't know if it is the best Sci-Fi show ever, but it is the one I like most.

Well, 3 episodes in so far, this series seems... OK-ish as a background thing, although I'll probably be skipping some episodes, if they get too silly, as I just did with The Unquiet Dead - the premise of a spirit-spitting granny seemed kinda funky, buuuuuut I'm not a huge fan of "guest from the future interacts with historical figure(s)" comedy trope. /shrugs

Excellent.

Sonic cane anyone?

yes please.

*adds to list of DW things she wants to own*

so far, the list comprises of (In chronological order. I think.)

Jack Harkness's coat

Bow tie

Fez

one of them khaki Daleks. or Percy(the blue one, inside joke)

Stetson

Sonic Cane

Well, 3 episodes in so far, this series seems... OK-ish as a background thing, although I'll probably be skipping some episodes, if they get too silly, as I just did with The Unquiet Dead - the premise of a spirit-spitting granny seemed kinda funky, buuuuuut I'm not a huge fan of "guest from the future interacts with historical figure(s)" comedy trope. /shrugs

You'll probably want to skip The Shakespeare Code when you get to that, then.

/I/ thought it was hilarious (especially all the "I think I'll use that one" lines), but if the historical figure thing isn't for you then you probably won't like that episode.

But never skip Let's Kill Hitler. Never. I know Hitler is possibly the most overdone time travel story, but you need to see that episode. (Hitler is actually a very small part, it's much more of an episode critical to the series' arc.)

The Shakespeare Code was fantastic! And Vincent and the Doctor... that was so beautiful that I almost cried unsure.gif

Well, like I said, I'm generally not going to skip anything without checking it out and would bail out if things got too deranged. Like the farting aliens in ep4... :v Of course, if something forms a larger story arc, then I'm able to sit through most anything. Like the last two painful seasons of BtVS, but that's kinda unrelated. .__.;

Feel free to skip 'Love and Monsters' in Series 2 - not really worth the time.

You'll probably want to skip The Shakespeare Code when you get to that, then.

/I/ thought it was hilarious (especially all the "I think I'll use that one" lines), but if the historical figure thing isn't for you then you probably won't like that episode.

But never skip Let's Kill Hitler. Never. I know Hitler is possibly the most overdone time travel story, but you need to see that episode. (Hitler is actually a very small part, it's much more of an episode critical to the series' arc.)

Hitler is hilarious. Never forget Hitler wink.gif

DE's wishlist:

Laser Screwdriver.

Another Laser Screwdriver.

NixAyum- There's a longg longg list.... wikipedia has a list of his appearances tongue.gif

/the Master is win.

In fact, he's a great character to write as well.