Cavedragon49990

Baking

if it comes in a box with directions, i can bake it. if not, then i cant tongue.gif pretty simple, and yummy. ^^ i love chocolate chip cookies too.

I'm a very good baker, but I can't make an apple tart.

But on both accounts I didn't use a recipie...

My dad used to make amazing bread, for a while he used his old cookbook, then he started making it without even mausuring.

But now he has stopped for a while...

But his jam is amasing...

My sourdough starter smells like beer it used to smell like vinegar? Like really gross? But now it smells like beer? Is it supposed to do that or....

My sourdough starter smells like beer it used to smell like vinegar? Like really gross? But now it smells like beer? Is it supposed to do that or....

I would imagine so. Beer is fermented, and you actually *wabt* a starter to ferment, because that's the yeast getting into it.

I would imagine so. Beer is fermented, and you actually *wabt* a starter to ferment, because that's the yeast getting into it.

Thanks! biggrin.gif

Thanks! biggrin.gif

May be worth double checking - because I'm not totally familiar with sour-dough starters - but I *do* know that they pull yeast in from the air to create the rise, so I imagine fermented is what you are after.

Incidently I've also been told that a really good way to get a starter going is to put a grape in it.

Cooking is an art andbaking is a science. Both are fun to do and also exasperating when things go wrong. Pie crusts can be impossibly hard. Sometimes they just go smoothly and taste and look great. Luck plays way too great a part in my baking and cooking. I can never get the apple pie filling to come out right in my apple pies. Other pies might just have a flakey pie crust problem.

Homemade cakes and things aren't really more difficult if you get a cookbook that spells out how to do things step by step with drawings and photos. You also have to use the correct equipment when learning.

Houses smell fantastic when you are baking. Smell the love!?! wink.gif

I love baking. Bread, muffins, cookies, pies.

I have made bread completely by hand, but a few years ago I got a bread machine and now I make bread every weekend. When I first heard about bread machines, I thought they'd take the fun and creativity out of bread making, but I was wrong. They just take out some of the labour, and now I can make bread without having to keep checking how much the bread has risen and so on. In my opinion, bread machines are great inventions.

Oh, and I have made bread with my own wild yeast sour dough risers. It's amazing, but very time consuming and the bread has a very different quality to it. I certainly want to do it again.

Edited by Jennie

I'd love to make bread. Maybe when I have time (I should be studying, goodbye DC for a while :'(

Baking is amazing and I love it. The only problem is I'm really slow, so it takes me forever! I bake from scratch, don't think I've ever used a pre-made mix. Most recently I tried baking French macarons, but since I screwed up the recipe they were more like maca-wrongs - no feet, didn't rise properly... at least they tasted great! biggrin.gif

Edited by azaria

My sister and I bake a lot, well I try to bake while she excels at it smile.gif I'm only good at eating them tongue.gif

Bumping this post from two and a half years of inactivity because I just taught myself how to do buttercream roses (sort of) and needed to share, check it out

user posted image

i'm so proud.

though I think I might be about to make myself look really pretentious when I bring this for the fundraiser for the school I work at.

@Stromboli: Wow, your buttercream roses cake looks delicate! happy.gif I am so proud of you too.

For the life of me, I couldn't cook or bake to feed myself if I had been dying of starvation in a well-stocked kitchen. But early this year, a friend and former co-worker encouraged me to bake cookies. (He made sushi.) Then together, we attended a few fairs and sold our stuff. It was fun! And it was how I developed an interest and some skills in baking.

Three days ago, I had a cookie experiment and played around with fillings and toppings.

Two weeks ago, I made a LotRO Vegetable Pot Pie.

reminds me of a funny that happened a while ago.

my sister had found a triple layer cake tin at waynes world (cheap shop in aus)

anyway, i'm thinking.. there is no way this is going to work.

we had to use like 4 pre-mix cake mixes to fill it.

into the oven it went. we waited. and waited. and waited.

and then we took it out. gave it a while before trying to turn it out onto a cooling rack.

she had the honors of flipping it out. i watched as the whole contents of it oozed out onto the bench and dripped onto the floor.

couldn't help but have a laugh before we cleaned it up.

needles to say that cake tin went straight into the bin that day.

Bumping this post from two and a half years of inactivity because I just taught myself how to do buttercream roses (sort of) and needed to share, check it out

http://41.media.tumblr.com/f289be7515acc5c...9fky2o1_500.jpg

i'm so proud.

though I think I might be about to make myself look really pretentious when I bring this for the fundraiser for the school I work at.

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry I missed this because it looks so great, Stromboli!!! Nicely done and congrats. o3o

Trying out a new brioche dough recipe! I'm still looking for one that is light and fluffy but not as dry.

Also, I stuffed a lot of chocolate into these. I'm pretty sure even if this recipe comes out dry, I'll still scarf 'em all down.

That cake looks great. o.o

I'm not much of a baker myself. I can make a sponge cake, and ice it, ect, but I'm not experimental at all. But my fiance is one of the best I know - she experiments quite often too, and I'm always the test rat haha. biggrin.gif

So far, Salted Caramel cookies have been one of my favourites - not exactly wild in experimenting, but goddamn they are delicious! A few days before we went on holiday she made some cupcakes that were inside ice cream cones.

I think she did them by putting the cake mix in the cone and into the microwave so it cooked from the inside, not the outside, so the cone didn't burn, and then she topped it with loads of icing and sprinkles to look like ice cream and they were amazingly good.

And thanks to her prompting me to cook with her more often, I'm getting better happy.gif

I can't come up with any recipes for the life of me, but I can follow instructions and things usually turn out alright.

My newest goal is to try and make the rose apple pie.

That's going to test me though because it requires me to slice the apples really thin.

Can't bake anything. I have tried to bake cookies but failed;

I can bake anything if I have a recipe to follow! |D

The thing I bake most often is sugar cookies. I found a nice recipe online for chewy sugar cookies. They end up thin but I don't really like thick ones anyway - for a recipe that's supposed to make a couple dozen, I usually end up with four to six...

...not that that's a bad thing. I just can't seem to get my cookies exactly the same size, so some end up on the small side and some are pretty big. XD

I've been watching the great british baking show (a PBS show) and some of the recipes are really cool. I wanna try making some of those.

Give me a recipe and I'll bake anything...

Like Oreo Cupcakes... just made some mint oreo cupcakes with mint cream cheese frosting.

The thing I bake the most (and enjoy baking the most), is soft sugar cookies, I'll make them like all the time even though in my family they're a "Christmas" food xd.png (I'll sometimes use the Christmas tree cutters when it's the middle of the summer just to show them you can love cookies anytime of the year laugh.gif )

Edited by Clya

Stromboli, I am in a deep-pit of jealousy of your rose-making skills. xd.png

On another note, today is national cinnamon bun day here, so naturally you can guess exactly what I've been up to this morning.

I love cinnamon bun day.

Edited by Ripan